Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,456 members, 7,836,809 topics. Date: Wednesday, 22 May 2024 at 12:57 PM

Implications Of Replacing A V6 Brainbox With A 4 Cylinders' - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Implications Of Replacing A V6 Brainbox With A 4 Cylinders' (1830 Views)

Cost Of Replacing Toyota Rav 4 2008 Windscreen / What Is Really Wrong With a V6 Engine? / What Makes A V6 Engine Different From Normal Car Engines (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Implications Of Replacing A V6 Brainbox With A 4 Cylinders' by banky3w(m): 8:40am On Jul 30, 2013
Please auto gurus, what are the possible implications of replacing a V6 brainbox with a 4 cylinder brainbox. My 98 camry V6 brainbox had issues and was replaced. I was told later that the brainbox removed has 5 pin and d one installed is a 4 pin. Apart from my factory security not working, i noticed nothing apart from a slightly higher fuel consumption. The mechanic is telling me that i'll have to change the nozzle to another that will work smoothly with the new brainbox. Please, i wanna know the possible implications of this before i make another mistake. Waiting to hear from siena, nissparts, all other gurus and anybody with knowledge pertaining to this issue. All ideas and suggestions are welcomed
Re: Implications Of Replacing A V6 Brainbox With A 4 Cylinders' by ZIMDRILL(m): 8:51am On Jul 30, 2013
banky3w: Please auto gurus, what are the possible implications of replacing a V6 brainbox with a 4 cylinder brainbox. My 98 camry V6 brainbox had issues and was replaced. I was told later that the brainbox removed has 5 pin and d one installed is a 4 pin. Apart from my factory security not working, i noticed nothing apart from a slightly higher fuel consumption. The mechanic is telling me that i'll have to change the nozzle to another that will work smoothly with the new brainbox. Please, i wanna know the possible implications of this before i make another mistake. Waiting to hear from siena, nissparts, all other gurus and anybody with knowledge pertaining to this issue. All ideas and suggestions are welcomed

in simple terms your car has been given a heart/ECU of usain bolt but body/engine is of an 10 year old

engine will fail later
Re: Implications Of Replacing A V6 Brainbox With A 4 Cylinders' by Epzilon: 12:58pm On Jul 30, 2013
banky3w: Please auto gurus, what are the possible implications of replacing a V6 brainbox with a 4 cylinder brainbox. My 98 camry V6 brainbox had issues and was replaced. I was told later that the brainbox removed has 5 pin and d one installed is a 4 pin. Apart from my factory security not working, i noticed nothing apart from a slightly higher fuel consumption. The mechanic is telling me that i'll have to change the nozzle to another that will work smoothly with the new brainbox. Please, i wanna know the possible implications of this before i make another mistake. Waiting to hear from siena, nissparts, all other gurus and anybody with knowledge pertaining to this issue. All ideas and suggestions are welcomed
please what were the symptoms the car was exibiting before the brainbox change?
Re: Implications Of Replacing A V6 Brainbox With A 4 Cylinders' by banky3w(m): 5:34pm On Jul 30, 2013
Major problem was thick black smoke from exhaust and can finish a full tank under 4hrs. car having a rough acceleration(jacking then d pedal is depressed) and many more! change almost everything in the engine before scanning to show it was a faulty brainbox.
Re: Implications Of Replacing A V6 Brainbox With A 4 Cylinders' by SpaceAngel: 6:07pm On Jul 30, 2013
Why not replace with the exact specification that came with the car? They will modify many things from time to time based on this strange installation. Is your mechanic now a car designer. Have a feeling it will spoil your engine and transmission on the long run. Not minding how much you spent, go and get the required spec for your car
Re: Implications Of Replacing A V6 Brainbox With A 4 Cylinders' by Nobody: 9:27pm On Jul 30, 2013
No way will an ECU from a 4 cylinder engine run a V6. Completely different set-ups. Different timing values - how will the 4 cylinder ECU regulate timing, when the V6 has 4 camshafts versus the I4's 2, and has 24 valves versus 16?

The I4 ECU has only 4 injector drivers, the V6 engine will require 6. I honestly can't understand why you're putting yourself through all this trouble. It's not like V6 engine ECU's for the Camry are rare.

Man, simply get the right part, and stop trying to fit square pegs into round holes! angry

2 Likes

Re: Implications Of Replacing A V6 Brainbox With A 4 Cylinders' by lonelydora: 9:36am On Aug 01, 2013
That is the beginning of the end of the car. You shouldn't have tried it in the first place.
Re: Implications Of Replacing A V6 Brainbox With A 4 Cylinders' by earthrealm(m): 10:38am On Aug 01, 2013
clowns!
Re: Implications Of Replacing A V6 Brainbox With A 4 Cylinders' by banky3w(m): 7:44am On Aug 04, 2013
So, according to siena, it is impossible to replace a V6 brainbox with an I4's brainbox. grin cool The issue now is about the 5 pins replaced with 4 pins. Siena pls can u enlighten me further on this swap if it requires me to change d brainbox immediately or use for a while..... Like i said earlier, no problem with the car now..... Running smoothly except dat i noticed dat it won't go above 140km/h but i can't say it for sure because i've never travelled with the car since the change and the car does 2500rmp with d speed mentioned above.

(1) (Reply)

Misfire Issue On 2008 Honda Accord V6 With VCM Engine. / This Real-life Transformer Can Walk As 12ft Robot & Drive As A 2seater Sport Car / Little Crack On Windscreen [pics Included] Any Solution

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 31
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.