Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,638 members, 7,813,115 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 07:19 AM

Edo Govt Closes Benin Airport Over Evasion Of Tax By Airport Workers - Travel (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Edo Govt Closes Benin Airport Over Evasion Of Tax By Airport Workers (9953 Views)

BREAKING: Airport Workers Shut Down FAAN Headquarters Over Beating Of Colleague / Chaos At Benin Airport-what Is Going On? / British Airways Admits Tax Evasion In Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Edo Govt Closes Benin Airport Over Evasion Of Tax By Airport Workers by atlwireles: 10:08pm On Jul 30, 2013
take dat: Mr Too Know, you concluded that the Governor is "ignorant/dumb" without hearing his own side?

The gov's side is already available on channels. "ignorant/dumb" is a bit too light in my opinion to describe the events in Benin. Yes they sealed the airport, they should stop misleading. Good news is, the passengers are been moved to Warri for their flights.
Re: Edo Govt Closes Benin Airport Over Evasion Of Tax By Airport Workers by takedat(m): 10:14pm On Jul 30, 2013
CFCfan:
His denial is even laughable. grin
How is his denial laughable? Has his claims been investigated to know if the state government erred or its just the usual preconception that the FG could do no wrong?
Re: Edo Govt Closes Benin Airport Over Evasion Of Tax By Airport Workers by takedat(m): 10:16pm On Jul 30, 2013
atlwireles:

The gov's side is already available on channels. "ignorant/dumb" is a bit too light in my opinion to describe the events in Benin. Yes they sealed the airport, they should stop misleading. Good news is, the passengers are been moved to Warri for their flights.
Guess you are a FAAN official. Don't be a tax cheat, pay your tax.

1 Like

Re: Edo Govt Closes Benin Airport Over Evasion Of Tax By Airport Workers by Nobody: 10:20pm On Jul 30, 2013
take dat: Guess you are a FAAN official. Abeg pay your tax.

Federal airports are by law, exempted from paying tenancy and other State taxes.
Re: Edo Govt Closes Benin Airport Over Evasion Of Tax By Airport Workers by Nobody: 10:27pm On Jul 30, 2013
Obviously taking a cue from Lagos, state governments are exploring tax opportunities, but most of them - and even Lagos - are far from being measured and professional about it. What obtains now is nothing but professional thuggery in the name of tax collection. Representing my company in a tax audit in one of the Niger Delta states earlier this month, one tax man almost came to blows with me when I sweated explaining basic tax laws to a supposedly experienced Revenue staff. I don't have any problems with states waking up to their tax maximization potential (and in fact, I have always advocated that) but they need a lot of catching up in terms of education. Knowledge, not thuggery. Only FIRS folks are trying in terms of knowledge.

5 Likes

Re: Edo Govt Closes Benin Airport Over Evasion Of Tax By Airport Workers by takedat(m): 10:32pm On Jul 30, 2013
CFCfan:

Federal airports are by law, exempted from paying tenancy and other State taxes.
The revenue board obtained a "Distraining Order(to compel payment or reparation)" on the administrative office of FAAN from a competent court of law. FAAN is exempted from paying tenancy and other state taxes, but FAAN officials are not. It is the responsibility of FAAN to deduct PAYE from the salaries of the employees of FAAN and pay to the state government in accordance with the law, but FAAN has not been doing so. No one is above the law, be it a federal institution/agency. The Governor admitted that the state government does not have the powers to shut down a federal airport, and that it was the Manager's office that was sealed up. According to the Governor, it was the manager who decided to dramatize the issue by sealing up all other offices to attract National attention.

4 Likes

Re: Edo Govt Closes Benin Airport Over Evasion Of Tax By Airport Workers by philybuck(m): 10:33pm On Jul 30, 2013
the guy is becoming very daft by the day with His crazy actions oo.
atlwireles: So you think shutting down the airport will affect anybody, other than Edo citizens and businesses This man call Osho is not as smart as I thought.
Re: Edo Govt Closes Benin Airport Over Evasion Of Tax By Airport Workers by Nobody: 10:40pm On Jul 30, 2013
take dat: The revenue board obtained a "Distraining Order(to compel payment or reparation)" on the administrative office of FAAN from a competent court of law. FAAN is exempted from paying tenancy and other state taxes, but FAAN officials are not. It is the responsibility of FAAN to deduct PAYE from the salaries of the employees of FAAN and pay to the state government, but FAAN has not been doing so. The Governor admitted that the state government does not have the powers to shut down a federal airport, and that it was the Manager's office that was sealed up. According to the Governor, it was the manager who decided to dramatize the issue by sealing up all other offices to attract National attention.
The airport Manager should then be made to face the music. Its utterly shameful that a so-called federal official could be so dumb/ignorant and primitive. Tufiakwa!
Re: Edo Govt Closes Benin Airport Over Evasion Of Tax By Airport Workers by eghuan1(m): 10:44pm On Jul 30, 2013
truth of the matter is that it was FAAN chairman who locked the airport gates. the Edo state board of internal revenue locked down FAAN office which is not in the airport premiss. I watched it this evening and the B.I.R chairman even ordered that the chain on the airport gates be broken to allow perssenger through in the pressence of the commissioner of Police who acting from orders from above arrested the B.I.R chairman. when the CP was asked to release the chairman by oshiomole, he said the order was from IG. the whole issue tire me
Re: Edo Govt Closes Benin Airport Over Evasion Of Tax By Airport Workers by takedat(m): 10:47pm On Jul 30, 2013
CFCfan:
The airport Manager should then be made to face the music. Its utterly shameful that a so-called federal official could be so dumb/ignorant and primitive. Tufiakwa!
Now we are on the same page. I am in no way trying to exonerate the state government, I am aware of the unruly behavior of most tax officials. I am only against taking sides and apportioning blames when a proper investigation has not been carried out.
Re: Edo Govt Closes Benin Airport Over Evasion Of Tax By Airport Workers by Twoboys: 10:49pm On Jul 30, 2013
If the workers of a public agency are defaulting in paying their tax and the agency has been found to be responsible for such failures, its not right to punish the travelling public for that(it does not serve public interest). There are options of fine and even imprisonment for heads of such agency,rather than act in such a way that infringe on peoples freedom of movement and general public good.The airport is meant to serve the people of Edo state.
Re: Edo Govt Closes Benin Airport Over Evasion Of Tax By Airport Workers by Nobody: 10:56pm On Jul 30, 2013
take dat: Now we are on the same page. I am in no way trying to exonerate the state government, I am aware of the unruly behavior of most tax officials. I am only against taking sides and apportioning blames when a proper investigation has not been carried out.
True. The title of this thread is misleading. It should be changed to "Airport Manager Closes Benin Airport". I just feel for the passengers who suffered from one man's idiocy.
Re: Edo Govt Closes Benin Airport Over Evasion Of Tax By Airport Workers by micday81(m): 10:56pm On Jul 30, 2013
take dat: Edo did not shut down Benin Airport –
Oshiomhole

The governor accused the Nigerian Police of partisanship.

The Benin Airport that was shut down on Tuesday was not shut by the Edo State Government, the governor, Adams Oshiomhole, has said.
The airport was shut on Tuesday as the Edo State Government and the Federal Airport Authority of Nigeria (FAAN) engaged in a tussle over tax debts.

At the centre of the tussle are debts allegedly owed the state government by FAAN and the Nigerian Airspace Management Agency (NAMA), totalling N39.7 million. FAAN was accused of owing N15 million while NAMA was alleged to owe N24.7 million.

Mr. Oshiomhole, while narrating Edo State’s role in the airport controversy, denied that the state government shut down the airport; saying the state lacks such power under Nigerian law.
He said the state government served an administrative order on FAAN after duly obtaining same from a court, informing the airport manager of the tax debts. Instead of dialoguing with the tax officials, the manager allegedly took the law into his hands, descending on the officials of Edo State Board of Internal Revenue, who served the notice on him; and thereafter, shut down the airport so as to turn the heat against the state government.

“When the airport manager was served the notice, he in turn, shut down the lounge and other offices. He shut it down so that nobody will go in or come out of the airport,” Mr. Oshiomhole said in an impromptu address at the Government House, Benin.

“Just to put it on record, the Edo State government did not shut down the airport. It was done by the manager who wanted to use it as a shield against the tax of his workers that he has not paid. The logic of the rule of law is that everybody is under the law. Nobody is above the law.

“The airport manager assaulted the revenue board officials. He also assaulted a cameraman. I am obliged to pay my tax and I am liable if I don’t pay. The fact of being a governor does not preclude me from paying my tax,” the governor said.

Mr. Oshiomhole also accused the Nigeria Police Force of unfair treatment in the crisis.
He said the Inspector-General of Police ordered the State Commissioner of Police to arrest the Chairman .of Edo State Board of Internal Revenue, Oseni Elamah, over the disagreement. He wondered why the police would choose to arrest a law abiding citizen in place of another who commits a criminal offence of not paying his tax and not remitting the duly paid taxes of others.

Several flights that were scheduled to take off from the airport could not as passengers remained stranded outside.

The Airport Manager, Sunday Ayodele, could not be reached on the airport’s next line of action as he did not respond to calls on his phone.
Tuesday’s incident occurred about two months after a private helicopter flying Mr. Oshiomhole to Anambra was recalled midair by the authorities of FAAN, who alleged that the governor’s pilot did not file the necessary flight details before taking-off from the Benin Airport. Mr. Oshiomhole later abandoned the trip after the helicopter was delayed at the airport.

http://premiumtimesng.com/news/141938-edo-did-not-shut-down-benin-airport-oshiomhole.html
Re: Edo Govt Closes Benin Airport Over Evasion Of Tax By Airport Workers by atlwireles: 11:03pm On Jul 30, 2013
take dat: Guess you are a FAAN official. Don't be a tax cheat, pay your tax.

How did you know we are talking about PAYEE tax where did Payee come into the story here?? If you have ever worked for the Federal gov, then you know, there is no way you can escape payee . Payee works like clock work in all agencies. What Edo state is talking about is not payee. The airport manger did not shut the airport down. Edo state closed the gate and sealed it with poster clearly posted on the gate.
Re: Edo Govt Closes Benin Airport Over Evasion Of Tax By Airport Workers by takedat(m): 11:10pm On Jul 30, 2013
atlwireles:

How did you know we are talking about PAYEE tax where did Payee come into the story here?? If you have ever worked for the Federal gov, then you know, there is no way you can escape payee . Payee works like clock work in all agencies. What Edo state is talking about is not payee. The airport manger did not shut the airport down. Edo state closed the gate and sealed it with poster clearly posted on the gate.
Read the state government's version of what transpired.

“We believe it was possible to get the FAAN to
pay their obligation without causing untold
hardship to air travelers. So the closure of the
airport has been unilaterally done by the Airport
Manager who wanted to use it to shield himself
from the charges against him, namely,
deducting PAYE from employees of FAAN and
not paying to the Edo state government in
accordance with the law."
Re: Edo Govt Closes Benin Airport Over Evasion Of Tax By Airport Workers by atlwireles: 11:14pm On Jul 30, 2013
take dat: Read the state government's version of what transpired.

The report and pictures on channels and NTA clearly shows who sealed what up. The poster on the locked gate is not FAAN. Also I'm not really interested in Osho's propaganda.
Re: Edo Govt Closes Benin Airport Over Evasion Of Tax By Airport Workers by atlwireles: 11:18pm On Jul 30, 2013
take dat: Read the state government's version of what transpired.

“We believe it was possible to get the FAAN to
pay their obligation without causing untold
hardship to air travelers. So the closure of the
airport has been unilaterally done by the Airport
Manager who wanted to use it to shield himself
from the charges against him, namely,
deducting PAYE from employees of FAAN and
not paying to the Edo state government in
accordance with the law."

The Airport manager does not deduct taxes. This is done in FAAN head office. Osho should serve his court papers there.
Re: Edo Govt Closes Benin Airport Over Evasion Of Tax By Airport Workers by Nobody: 11:44pm On Jul 30, 2013
take dat: The revenue board obtained a "Distraining Order(to compel payment or reparation)" on the administrative office of FAAN from a competent court of law. FAAN is exempted from paying tenancy and other state taxes, but FAAN officials are not. It is the responsibility of FAAN to deduct PAYE from the salaries of the employees of FAAN and pay to the state government in accordance with the law, but FAAN has not been doing so. No one is above the law, be it a federal institution/agency. The Governor admitted that the state government does not have the powers to shut down a federal airport, and that it was the Manager's office that was sealed up. According to the Governor, it was the manager who decided to dramatize the issue by sealing up all other offices to attract National attention.

And the Manger's Office is not part of the Federal Airport. Talk of reasoning upside down.
Since when can anybody walk into a Federal Airport to shut it down, Is that not a National Security Issue?
Will the airport function without the FAAN Manager.
Re: Edo Govt Closes Benin Airport Over Evasion Of Tax By Airport Workers by taharqa2: 11:46pm On Jul 30, 2013
Let me get something straight:

Is it even remotely possible to shut down the activities of FAAN and NEMA, two organizations directly responsible for the safety of every single plane flying an Airport, without essentially having that Airport Shut??

@CFCFan and @take dat, may help me out
Re: Edo Govt Closes Benin Airport Over Evasion Of Tax By Airport Workers by Nobody: 11:55pm On Jul 30, 2013
taharqa2:
Let me get something straight:

Is it even remotely possible to shut down the activities of FAAN and NEMA, two organizations directly responsible for the safety of every single plane flying an Airport, without essentially having that Airport Shut??

@CFCFan and @take dat, may help me out
Its not possible to do so; I think u meant to write "NAMA" there.
Re: Edo Govt Closes Benin Airport Over Evasion Of Tax By Airport Workers by manny4life(m): 1:40am On Jul 31, 2013
eghuan1: truth of the matter is that it was FAAN chairman who locked the airport gates. the Edo state board of internal revenue locked down FAAN office which is not in the airport premiss. I watched it this evening and the B.I.R chairman even ordered that the chain on the airport gates be broken to allow perssenger through in the pressence of the commissioner of Police who acting from orders from above arrested the B.I.R chairman. when the CP was asked to release the chairman by oshiomole, he said the order was from IG. the whole issue tire me

Talk about drama unfolding, why should FAAN shut down the airports? Thy is is what happens when airports are managed by the FG, if it were privately owned, nonsense like this won't happen.
Re: Edo Govt Closes Benin Airport Over Evasion Of Tax By Airport Workers by gogodaye(m): 2:25am On Jul 31, 2013
The issue here bothers on the non remittance by FAAN of PAYE deducted from its Edo state resident employees' emoluments to the EDSBIR. Whilst FAAN enjoys exemption from the payment of other state taxes/rates this rule does not apply to PAYE as the agency is mandated upon effecting the deductions at source to make the remittances to the appropriate state BIR. This is the same act that FAAN accused & shut down Arik Air for a shortwhile ago.
Re: Edo Govt Closes Benin Airport Over Evasion Of Tax By Airport Workers by clint77ng: 2:33am On Jul 31, 2013
Clueless opposition govs. When the act foolishly, they deny. These are the people that want to take over from PDP, deportation, invasion, rally. They are too violent to rule and they lie alot
Re: Edo Govt Closes Benin Airport Over Evasion Of Tax By Airport Workers by gogodaye(m): 2:38am On Jul 31, 2013
The steps taken by the EDSBIR are lawful in the circumstances. We should rather be asking what has happened to the UNREMITTED PAYE taxes at FAAN Headquarters. These are the leakages that should be plugged. This also calls into question the attitude of those saddled with responsibilities of exercisng authority both in our regulatory and law enforcement agencies. We must continually strive to be unbiased, dispassionate & be law abiding by not condoning acts of impunity so that Nigeria can be Great.

1 Like

Re: Edo Govt Closes Benin Airport Over Evasion Of Tax By Airport Workers by kay2000(m): 4:44am On Jul 31, 2013
There is no law anywhere that exempts any salary earner from paying Tax to the Govt. This is not a matter of "do me I do you". The BIR followed the due process of the law. The trouble maker here is the airport manager seeking undue sympathy from members of the public. IG sits his dumb ass in Edet house and dish out arrest warrant without proper investigation. The police and the stupid powers that be in Abuja are indeed the problems we have in this country. Dumb ass leaders, dumb ass police, dumb ass manager and dumb ass posters on this thread.

2 Likes

Re: Edo Govt Closes Benin Airport Over Evasion Of Tax By Airport Workers by Osedidi(m): 5:36am On Jul 31, 2013
careytommy: Why i'm i not surprised, shebi na Edo govt?
illegality is the norm in revenue generation over there.
www.vanguardngr.com/2013/07/robbers-or-local-govt-officials-at-benin-by-pass/

Without accessment the so called Board of Internal Revenue just come into your business place and slams you a huge bill as if they are angry that you are even in business at all and wants you to pack up

1 Like

Re: Edo Govt Closes Benin Airport Over Evasion Of Tax By Airport Workers by Nobody: 6:31am On Jul 31, 2013
There is something common to all ACN states: Their revenue generation has been taken to a violent level. Doctors in Ekiti State had to go on strike in 3rd quarter of 2012 because their taxes were far above what their counterparts pay in other states.

1 Like

Re: Edo Govt Closes Benin Airport Over Evasion Of Tax By Airport Workers by buJu234: 7:27am On Jul 31, 2013
in Nigerian the govt. workers; politicians and the high & mighty pay little or no tax
Re: Edo Govt Closes Benin Airport Over Evasion Of Tax By Airport Workers by Oluwalala(m): 7:55am On Jul 31, 2013
homesteady:

You sound so foolish!! Did you even understand what was written there?
You are the foolish one,if you can't read btw the lines!
Re: Edo Govt Closes Benin Airport Over Evasion Of Tax By Airport Workers by boles80sg(m): 8:04am On Jul 31, 2013
lagerwhenindoubt: Obviously some FG agencies are tax-exempt IRS should have tried to investigate what basis they had to levy a government establishment the way they did. but you know when a snake is hungry, anything be food, even its own tail
. PITAM law did not exempt the workers and owners of aircraft from PAYE. So, he should get his fact corrected.
Re: Edo Govt Closes Benin Airport Over Evasion Of Tax By Airport Workers by taharqa2: 8:04am On Jul 31, 2013
KenGali:

And the Manger's Office is not part of the Federal Airport. Talk of reasoning upside down.
Since when can anybody walk into a Federal Airport to shut it down, Is that not a National Security Issue?
Will the airport function without the FAAN Manager.
Honestly guy, d way sm people hv turned Simple Logic on its head on this thread is simply Astonishing.... People shld learn to reason issues through b4 yielding to the urge of taking sides, esp when dealing with very serious issues
Re: Edo Govt Closes Benin Airport Over Evasion Of Tax By Airport Workers by taharqa2: 8:08am On Jul 31, 2013
CFCfan:
Its not possible to do so; I think u meant to write "NAMA" there.
Right. I meant to write NAMA, not NEMA

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

How To Survive Lagos Traffic / 7 Tips For Air Travelers / Complaints About Nigerian Embassy In Spain

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 75
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.