Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,211 members, 7,829,344 topics. Date: Thursday, 16 May 2024 at 03:30 AM

Mistakes Christians Make About Alcohol. - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Mistakes Christians Make About Alcohol. (766 Views)

The Other Side Of God. (christians Make Your Contributions So That We Can Learn) / How Nigerian Christians Make Their Pastors To Sin. / Is Satan Really As Bad As Christians Make Him Out To Be? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Mistakes Christians Make About Alcohol. by gradeA(m): 9:09pm On Jul 30, 2013
'Yes, it is permissible for Christians to drink alcohol. It is not a sin to have a drink. But, in saying this, we have to be careful not to encourage the misuse of alcohol upon ourselves or by using it to cause others to stumble'.

This is predominantly the statement I hear some believers make as regards alcohol. They even support their claim with scriptures like prov 20:1 'Wine is a mocker, strong drink a brawler, and whoever is 'intoxicated' by it is not wise and
prov 23:29-35 and focus on the verse 30 which begins with they that tarry long at d wine....
they thereby claim that you musn't tarry long but can just take a sip or a gulp so long as you dont get intoxicated.

My friends, there is nothing farther from the truth than this. Basically, we should realise that we are in the dispensation of the Holy Spirit. Perhaps the consumption of alcohol was permissible in the time of old, it is however highly unacceptable now that we have the Holy Spirit indwelling in us. Come to think of it, the bible says we should be filled (drunk) with the Holy Spirit, how then would we rather be possessed with the spirit of alcoholism? The Holy Spirit is so gentle that He would not contend with any other spirit in ur life, thus if you say you just drank small, then you permitted a 'small spirit' into ur life and after the departure of the Holy Spirit, it would then multiply and increase thereby turning you into a complete drunk.

St Lk gospel clearly shows us smthing; Lk 1:15 says; 'For He shall be great in the sight of the lord and shall drink neither wine nor strong drink; for He shall be filled with the Holy Ghost even from mother's womb'
this scripture was referring to John the baptist, and we should note dat he wasnt forbidden to take strong drink because he is John the baptist but because he would be filled with the Holy Ghost even from birth.
John the baptist and Samson were perhaps the only men to be filled with the Holy Ghost from mother's womb i.e they recieved the Holy Spirit before the appointed time as promised by Jesus christ. (even Jesus Christ 'as a man' wasnt filled with the Holy Ghost from birth, but had to wait till after His baptism).
One simple truth dat we should note is dat the moment we are born again, and filled with the Holy Ghost, we automatically get to d stage John the baptist was at birth, therefore what applied for him immediately becomes applicable to us all.

Friends, the conclusion of the matter remains as long as we have been saved by the blood of Jesus Christ and are baptised by the Holy Spirit, we have no business with alcohol, be it a sip, gulp or total consumption.

4 Likes

Re: Mistakes Christians Make About Alcohol. by ayobase(m): 10:48pm On Jul 30, 2013
We gat radical evangelists on NL these days...tell the Olotis!
Re: Mistakes Christians Make About Alcohol. by Bsideboi(m): 11:56pm On Jul 30, 2013
Yet another wise post.Dear OP u shall fall in Jesus Mighty name.
Re: Mistakes Christians Make About Alcohol. by gradeA(m): 5:34am On Jul 31, 2013
Bsideboi: Yet another wise post.Dear OP u shall fall in Jesus Mighty name.

bro, dont u think its an irony praying for me to fall in Jesus name? cos rather than make me fall, dat name is def gonna help me stand.
or was it an error? did u mean to add not to the fall?
Re: Mistakes Christians Make About Alcohol. by Joshthefirst(m): 10:05am On Oct 07, 2013
Hello sir. My former moniker; chibuebem is no longer in use. This is my new moniker now.
I'll follow you again.
Re: Mistakes Christians Make About Alcohol. by gradeA(m): 8:31pm On Oct 08, 2013
Joshthefirst: Hello sir. My former moniker; chibuebem is no longer in use. This is my new moniker now.
I'll follow you again.

Alright. would follow back.

(1) (Reply)

We Are All Equal Be You Muslim/christian/jew/atheist/pagan/hindu Or Buddhist / He Will Order His Angelsto Protect And Guard You / Where Is Dan Foster Of Inspiration Fm?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 18
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.