Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,951 members, 7,810,631 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 12:24 PM

Abuja Conjoined Twins Die - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Abuja Conjoined Twins Die (11695 Views)

Conjoined Twins Born In Ganjuwa, Bauchi State (Photos) / 10 Of The World's Most Famous Conjoined Twins / Conjoined Twins Born In Abuja To Unemployed Couple (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Abuja Conjoined Twins Die by mukina2: 2:27pm On Jul 31, 2013
The birth of conjoined twins in Nigeria is always greeted with emotions. This can be connected to the rarity of the situation forcing many to wonder if they are truly a blessing.

The widely spread account of the Sobowale–Davies twins in Lagos that recently celebrated their 10 years birthday is one successful attempt in many geared at separating conjoined twins born to Nigerian parents.
The Bassey family in Abuja must have been expecting same successful separation when they woke up to the reality of giving birth to conjoined twins.

The jobless couple had recently been delivered of conjoined twins at Luna Hospital, Gwarinpa, Abuja before they were referred to the National Hospital, Abuja.

The expectant mother, Mrs. Patience Elisha Bassey, had patiently carried the babies for nine months expecting two bundles of joy as shown by the scan. Though, the bundle came but it was bonded turning out to be a different story.

When the 30-year old woman, a full time housewife went into labour to deliver her babies; little did she knew the shock that awaited her. She was blessed with two boys but they came with a huge deformity. They were conjoined from the stomach and chest down. They shared three legs, one liver, one kidney and one intestine.

This situation presented a herculean task to doctors where they were born and they were later transferred to National Hospital for further consultations and treatment

But the babies, who battled for life for thirteen days lost the battle at the National Hospital. The father, Mr. Elisha Bassey, with an emotion laden voice, described the period as the most challenging for the family.

“We are not first timers in parenting so this actually came as a shock for us. Before now, doctors had told me that the case was hopeless as no hospital could do the operation to separate them in Nigeria. At the National Hospital, I was asked to seek around to find out where the babies could be transferred to outside the country and they will help facilitate in whatever way they could. We were trying our best to see how we could find out a hospital that could carry out the surgery abroad when I was called to the hospital,” he said.

On getting to the hospital, the news of the babies’ death was broken to him. According to him, the doctors did all they could but could not save the babies whose blood pressure was said to have been rising.

“I didn’t know what to say or do but just left the hospital. I couldn’t bring myself to go and see the corpse of my twin boys at the mortuary. This is not something I pray for my enemy,” he lamented.
But the death of the babies is not only the challenge the family is facing but also the unpaid hospital bills of about N120,000

“As you know, I am jobless and so is my wife, we are just managing life. After all, this whole stress and the money we have spent so far, we still do not have the babies to look at and still smile even after the whole struggle. They are gone and we still have a lot of debts to settle,” He said amidst tears.

Mrs. Elisha an indigene of Akwa Ibom state found out she was going to have twins when she had her first scan six months gone into full term of her pregnancy. She had two other scans after that but ironically none of the scans revealed that the babies were conjoined.

“I was overwhelmed with happiness, so was my husband about the result of the scan but all the while we did the scan we were never told that the babies were conjoined. Even when I eventually gave birth to the babies through caesarean section and I regained consciousness, nobody told me that my babies were conjoined until two days later, when I heard the nurses and some patients discussing it. It was then I realized why I haven’t been allowed to see my babies,” the bereft mother said.

Dr Victor Akpan, Chief Medical Director, Luna Hospitals Abuja, where the kids were born however painted a better picture of the situation.

According to him, ultra sounds were done at three different centres but none could detect that the babies were conjoined.
“Another thing people need to understand is that the issue of ultra sound depends on expertise. The tests that would have revealed the conjoined twins would have been the MRI and CTI scan. But it was not necessary and the financial strength of the parents would not have accommodated the required tests,” he explained.

The medical practitioner also highlighted the situation in which the babies shared vital organs. This, he said, could make the operation very difficult for any centre around the world.

“We have to be realistic in this case. If the babies shared just muscle and skin and had all vital organs differently, it would have been easy for any paediatric doctor to carry out the surgery. But a situation where they share just one vital organ the chances are very slim,” he said

Though the babies are gone the scar left behind will forever remain fresh to the family. The joblessness situation of the couple which has made it difficult for them to foot the bill incurred at the hospital during their trying period is still a huge quandary before the family.

http://dailytrust.info/index.php/city-news/2010-abuja-conjoined-twins-lose-battle-for-life
Re: Abuja Conjoined Twins Die by ERF: 2:43pm On Jul 31, 2013
I don't like this stuff ooh.
Why would yhu hide my babies until after two days, i then "found out" not that they told me.
Mhen, this is suspicious...
buh why would babies be conjoined, wahz d cause? Genes or wah?
Anyway the parents should take heart, buh i know the babies won't pain them an inch, buh the money is the problem grin
Re: Abuja Conjoined Twins Die by lifestyle1(m): 3:33pm On Jul 31, 2013
So sad. cry

1 Like

Re: Abuja Conjoined Twins Die by vivaciousvivi(f): 3:37pm On Jul 31, 2013
Quite an increase in conjoined babies over the last 5years o. May their souls RIP. Naija mentality sha, you are jobless and so is your wife and I guess using condoms was also out of the question. Even if the twins were born normal and had survived, how was he planning on taking care of the family...considering by his own admission that "there were not new in parenting".

3 Likes

Re: Abuja Conjoined Twins Die by SKIPCY(m): 3:39pm On Jul 31, 2013
That's sad. May God comfort them n the hospital should please waive the charges.
Re: Abuja Conjoined Twins Die by Tolexander: 3:41pm On Jul 31, 2013
She was blessed with
two boys but they came
with a huge deformity.
They were conjoined from
the stomach and chest
down. They shared three
legs, one liver, one kidney
and one intestine.
i don't even know what to say.
Re: Abuja Conjoined Twins Die by Fazhy: 3:41pm On Jul 31, 2013
Sad story.

Re: Abuja Conjoined Twins Die by pukena(m): 3:44pm On Jul 31, 2013
Condolences to d bereaved family...

But I dnt accept any excuses for joblessness..
I lost my parents as a kid...nevertheless I am a graduate today, and have built two businesses so far and still counting...

Stop making babies...get busy!

2 Likes

Re: Abuja Conjoined Twins Die by Delible(m): 3:44pm On Jul 31, 2013
[b][/b][quote]But the death of the babies is not only the challenge the family is facing but also the unpaid hospital bills of about N120,000.

Simply walk away. That all.
Re: Abuja Conjoined Twins Die by SwTonia(f): 3:45pm On Jul 31, 2013
Hv always been thinking of hw dey wil b disjoint,nd concluded dat d best option was 4 dem 2..... RIP babies
Re: Abuja Conjoined Twins Die by Eneze1(f): 3:46pm On Jul 31, 2013
this is sad, but how come both of them are jobless and they r producing babies just hope people mentality will change about bringing children into this world when there's no means to fend for them, rip to the babies, may God give the family the fortitude to bear the loss
Re: Abuja Conjoined Twins Die by Businesstools(m): 3:47pm On Jul 31, 2013
May God give the parents the fortitude to bear the loss.

1 Like

Re: Abuja Conjoined Twins Die by kendraloops(f): 3:47pm On Jul 31, 2013
vivacious vivi: Quite an increase in conjoined babies over the last 5years o. May their souls RIP. Naija mentality sha, you are jobless and so is your wife and I guess using condoms was also out of the question. Even if the twins were born normal and had survived, how was he planning on taking care of the family...considering by his own admission that "there were not new in parenting".
Madam, don't talk like that. U neva can tell what led to conception n d eventual birth of those babies. Would u av preferred they had an abortion? There are countless cases of children who have brought blessings to their parent by virtue of their birth. Call me superstitious or whatever but I strongly believe in it cos I av seen countless examples.
Best we can do is to pray God strengthens them to cope with the pain cos it'l hurt for a looooong while.
RIP baby boys.

1 Like

Re: Abuja Conjoined Twins Die by Temismith(f): 4:13pm On Jul 31, 2013
sad
Re: Abuja Conjoined Twins Die by MrAboki: 4:24pm On Jul 31, 2013
[b][/b]wow
Re: Abuja Conjoined Twins Die by Uwakuwak(f): 4:30pm On Jul 31, 2013
If na China people now, they for rush the meat. RIP TO them.
Re: Abuja Conjoined Twins Die by Nobody: 4:39pm On Jul 31, 2013
May God console the bereaved parent of the twins and i pray God replace their loss with triplet.AMEN
Re: Abuja Conjoined Twins Die by hardeyincah(m): 5:00pm On Jul 31, 2013
pukena: Condolences to d bereaved family...

But I dnt accept any excuses for joblessness..
I lost my parents as a kid...nevertheless I am a graduate today, and have built two businesses so far and still counting...

Stop making babies...get busy!

a lot of people lost their parent and weren't lucky the way u are..... just thank God that u living comfortable ...... guy people are suffering
Re: Abuja Conjoined Twins Die by Nobody: 5:35pm On Jul 31, 2013
I hope those guys whose pressing need is early marriage without a second thought to financial burden associated with it are reading this. Please for those of you guys who are still single make sure you have sound financial backbones before you delve into it. There are events which you may not foresee that are likely to happen and not when it happens you start blaming everyone around you for not helping out financially ( as if you are entitled to be helped in the first place).

NB: I am not saying that early marriage for guys is not but please check your pocket wella.
Re: Abuja Conjoined Twins Die by dplomaticVal: 5:52pm On Jul 31, 2013
Our medical practitioners need to buckle up to forestall the enormous rate of infant mortality. RIP deceased twins.
Re: Abuja Conjoined Twins Die by Stegeson(m): 5:57pm On Jul 31, 2013
kendraloops:
Madam, don't talk like that. U neva can tell what led to conception n d eventual birth of those babies. Would u av preferred they had an abortion? There are countless cases of children who have brought blessings to their parent by virtue of their birth. Call me superstitious or whatever but I strongly believe in it cos I av seen countless examples.
Best we can do is to pray God strengthens them to cope with the pain cos it'l hurt for a looooong while.
RIP baby boys.
stop displaying foolishness. Wake up to d reality. U are jobless and u allow a jobless woman to park into ur "batcha", then both jobles "couple" start making babies with hope dat the baby wl be deliverd wt dollars. Just be realistic 4 1 day and stop listening to dat ur stupid pastor. Rubbish.

1 Like

Re: Abuja Conjoined Twins Die by Nweike1: 6:52pm On Jul 31, 2013
SKIPCY: That's sad. May God comfort them n the hospital should please waive the charges.

Lai lai! Say wetin happen. Na the hospital cause their problem?
Re: Abuja Conjoined Twins Die by Nweike1: 6:58pm On Jul 31, 2013
dplomaticVal: Our medical practitioners need to buckle up to forestall the enormous rate of infant mortality. RIP deceased twins.

Not true. The management of conjoined twins requires a skilled paediatric surgeon who most likely has subspecialized in that area. In our resource poor country, where will u find such. What about the facilities he/she will use
Re: Abuja Conjoined Twins Die by dominique(f): 10:20pm On Jul 31, 2013
smothly: May God console the bereaved parent of the twins and i pray God replace their loss with triplet.AMEN

You no nice sha. In these tough times the unemployed couple are facing, how you wan make dey take care of triplets join.
@topic, RIP to the little angels. They were born in the wrong country sad
Re: Abuja Conjoined Twins Die by zuma4k(m): 10:42pm On Jul 31, 2013
As a twin myself, I thank God I wasn't born like this... RIP to the boys/boy...
Re: Abuja Conjoined Twins Die by gracy83: 11:28pm On Jul 31, 2013
very sadddddddddddd
Re: Abuja Conjoined Twins Die by Mamacita007(f): 12:26am On Aug 01, 2013
may their gentle souls rest in perfect peace amen
Re: Abuja Conjoined Twins Die by swtme(f): 1:18am On Aug 01, 2013
Eeyah crymay our good lord console the family
Re: Abuja Conjoined Twins Die by torture: 7:59am On Aug 01, 2013
The twins death is a blessing to the man!! Are they planning to buy an extra kidney and liver?? And a leg too?? Thank God. Fix urself financially.
Re: Abuja Conjoined Twins Die by CHIDONE: 9:30am On Aug 01, 2013
torture: The twins death is a blessing to the man!! Are they planning to buy an extra kidney and liver?? And a leg too?? Thank God. Fix urself financially.

That's just the naked truth
Re: Abuja Conjoined Twins Die by kolamilan(m): 9:32am On Aug 01, 2013
#sober mood activated#
Re: Abuja Conjoined Twins Die by CHIDONE: 9:33am On Aug 01, 2013
torture: The twins death is a blessing to the man!! Are they planning to buy an extra kidney and liver?? And a leg too?? Thank God. Fix urself financially.

That's just the naked truth

1 Like

(1) (2) (Reply)

Know Any Mammogram Center In Lagos, Nigeria? / Pls I Need An Advise On How To Get Cured Of Staphylococus Areus! / JOHESU Strike: Nigerian Government Threatens ‘no Work, No Pay’ Policy

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 44
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.