Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,627 members, 7,816,586 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 01:32 PM

Nigerian Men Spending Time Away From Their Families - Family (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Nigerian Men Spending Time Away From Their Families (2928 Views)

Somethings That Are Gradually Fading Away From Our Homes / After Spending Millions For Your Daughter's Wedding(photo) / Marriage? Nigerian Guys In Europe Are Shying Away From Nigerian Girls (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply)

Re: Nigerian Men Spending Time Away From Their Families by JJYOU: 2:19pm On Mar 21, 2009
wbb
Re: Nigerian Men Spending Time Away From Their Families by biina: 7:05pm On Mar 21, 2009
@deor03

don't you think, that's drilling too deep

These types of profession ( i am not sure if 'type' is the right word  but 'nature') is for a short time. Maximum of 5 years, however i know a couple of guys that have been doing this for over 10 years. The Sad reality is that none of them has a compact family now. Examples of these jobs are offshore jobs, telecoms consultant jobs, etc
Someone's got to do these job, I notice that once enter the cycle, it get more difficult for you to leave. The offers you get will be close to what you are doing now
I apologize for this, but you left too many hints that I succumbed to the temptation of guessing your job.
You probably work for an oil servicing company (schlumberger, haliburton?), which requires that you stay on a location/platform/rig for several weeks. Possibly as a drilling engineer.

Anyways I do appreciate where you are coming from as I have many friends working offshore and in IT/telecoms consulting. You are right in that such jobs, while the pay is good, usually make it hard to have a steady relationship talk less of a home. The only solution I can think of is one moving towards a more regular (i.e. 8-5pm from home) job as one gets older.

@OP
While it may be to provide a better standard of living for the family, working away from home should be a joint decision of the couple. They should be clear in what they are trading in for the (hopefully) increased income they would be getting.

Most men wouldn't want their wives being away from home, as the average Nigerian men shy away from ladies with travelling jobs like air hostesses. Men need to be more considerate of their wives when making career decisions.
Re: Nigerian Men Spending Time Away From Their Families by otokx(m): 9:53pm On Mar 21, 2009
its not a "nigerian" men thing, some women i know also spend time away from their families by attending all the church activities and more.

(1) (2) (Reply)

If Your Spouse Insists On Donating Your Assets To Charity / 26 Things That You Usually Face In An Average African Family / Shop On Konga At Up To 70% Off In The August Rush

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 10
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.