Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,141 members, 7,814,999 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 04:18 AM

I'm Too Black To Burn From Sunrays - Fashion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Fashion / I'm Too Black To Burn From Sunrays (856 Views)

Girl Incredibly Transforms From Black To White (before & After Pics) / Male Beautician Who Transformed From Black To White (Photos) / Senegal Style - Women Have Their Gums Tattooed Black To Improve Their Smiles (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

I'm Too Black To Burn From Sunrays by Bbgirlnaija: 12:39pm On Aug 02, 2013
That's officially bbgirlnaija's first Kanye West quote in this space.

Thats not strictly true as mentioned in a previous post, I think its assumptions like that that put us in harms way without knowing better.

Yes black people do have loads of melanin that reduce visible signs of aging, fine lines and age spots compared to white folk.

People of African descent can have a natural sun protection factor (SPF) of up to 13 as compared to 3-4 for Whites. This does protect us from ultraviolet (UV) sunrays, thereby decreasing our risk for skin cancer and aging early. However, it does not provide complete protection from either (ebony.com).

Actually the darker you are the more melanin you got but dont take this as a licence to stay out in the sun unnecessarily. Excessive exposure to the sun can lead to sunburn and mutiple instances of sunburn over time can lead to skin cancer.

Although black people have a lower risk of catching skin cancer, we experience higher death rates statistically, no one knows what the rate at which this occurs in Nigeria due to dearth of accurate data. Also the type of skin cancer we develop is different from those in the west.

Bob Marley actually died of skin cancer at 36 which was initially dismissed as a injury.

You dont need to shun the sun completely as we get vitamin D from exposure to it but do be sensible and keep kids covered and if possible supplement the vitamin d intake.

Look for moisturisers with sunscreen included and if you'll be in the sun try and get hold of sunscreen with spf 15 - spf 30 (use spf 30 with kids).

Why Nigerians NEED SUNSCREEN
http://bbgirlnaija..co.uk/2013/05/why-nigerians-need-sunscreen.html

(1) (Reply)

Pls I Need A Customizd Necklace! / Where To Buy The Best Attack On Titan Jacket? / I Love Fashion. I Love Styling.i Love Giving Tips On How To Achieve Both.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 16
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.