Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,707 members, 7,816,907 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 07:54 PM

Unbelievable! The Niger Bridge At Onitsha Was Built In Less Than One Year. - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Unbelievable! The Niger Bridge At Onitsha Was Built In Less Than One Year. (31188 Views)

Biafra Agitators Burn Two Trailers At Onitsha Head Bridge (Pics) / Onitsha was founded by Edo Prince.(by Nnamdi Azikiwe the zik of Africa) / Jonathan Commissions The Flyover Bridge At Kundila Roundabout, Kano - Photos (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Unbelievable! The Niger Bridge At Onitsha Was Built In Less Than One Year. by Abagworo(m): 11:52am On Aug 03, 2013
The River Niger Bridge was one of the landmark achievements of the first civilian government of late Prime Minister Tafawa Balewa before political upheavals interrupted Nigeria’s first republic in 1966, six clear years after she gained her political independence from Britain. Between 1964 and 1965, French construction giant, Dumez, constructed it at the cost of 5 million pounds, to link Onitsha and Asaba in present-day Anambra and Delta States respectively. Thus, it became a gateway to what is politically referred to as the present south-east and parts of present-day south-south up to the south-west states.    Decades later, steady increase in human traffic on the bridge due to increase in population coupled with an upswing of socio-economic activities and urbanization led to increased human and vehicular traffic on the bridge, thus causing frightening wear and tear on the critical infrastructure.

http://businessandmaritimewestafrica.com/discourse/the-2nd-niger-bridge-and-politics-of-deceit
Re: Unbelievable! The Niger Bridge At Onitsha Was Built In Less Than One Year. by Abagworo(m): 11:59am On Aug 03, 2013
My question is if the bridge construction technology has been lost or something has happened that made it more difficult constructing bridges in recent times.

Pictures of the bridge constructed in 6months.

1 Share

Re: Unbelievable! The Niger Bridge At Onitsha Was Built In Less Than One Year. by IGBOSON1: 12:04pm On Aug 03, 2013
Abagworo: My question is if the bridge construction technology has been lost or something has happened that made it more difficult constructing bridges in recent times.

Pictures of the bridge constructed in 6months.

^^^The thing is we didn't have the kind of 'politics' we have today in them days.

So are these fuc/kers not yet done with their soil testing?.....it's nearly 3 months since they fed us that line!
Re: Unbelievable! The Niger Bridge At Onitsha Was Built In Less Than One Year. by Zonacom(m): 12:12pm On Aug 03, 2013
But i thought the first bridge built was bombed during the civil war? Or am i missing something?
Re: Unbelievable! The Niger Bridge At Onitsha Was Built In Less Than One Year. by Abagworo(m): 12:40pm On Aug 03, 2013
Zona.com:
But i thought the first bridge built was bombed during the civil war? Or am i missing something?

http://sunnewsonline.com/new/cover/niger-bridge-is-falling/

The federal soldiers’ continued advance from Asaba to Onitsha led to the blowing up of the bridge, at the Onitsha end, by the Biafran forces. This was meant to stop the federal troops from advancing into the Biafran territory. The destruction of the bridge constituted a major setback to the federal troops’ incursion into the Biafran territory until Biafra surrendered in January 1970.

The two spans on the Onitsha end of the Niger Bridge damaged during the civil war were replaced with a fourteen-foot wide bailey, at an estimated cost of 1.5million pounds by Dumez.
Re: Unbelievable! The Niger Bridge At Onitsha Was Built In Less Than One Year. by Joel3(m): 11:54am On Mar 08, 2015
I cross the bridge lately. and I was amass with the thick work done there. iron that stand in tens of time.

and to think of it it was build in 70s. the government today cannot boost of such bridge today.

I think that the bridge will still take more decades before it finally collapse. still look strong to me after passing it.
Re: Unbelievable! The Niger Bridge At Onitsha Was Built In Less Than One Year. by crownprince102: 12:19pm On Mar 08, 2015
Some is building his own for four years and still building.

1 Like

Re: Unbelievable! The Niger Bridge At Onitsha Was Built In Less Than One Year. by Nobody: 12:22pm On Mar 08, 2015
Technology improves with time,but it seems reverse is the case in Nigeria..
Re: Unbelievable! The Niger Bridge At Onitsha Was Built In Less Than One Year. by owobokiri(m): 12:24pm On Mar 08, 2015
Abagworo:
The River Niger Bridge was one of the landmark achievements of the first civilian government of late Prime Minister Tafawa Balewa before political upheavals interrupted Nigeria’s first republic in 1966, six clear years after she gained her political independence from Britain. Between 1964 and 1965, French construction giant, Dumez, constructed it at the cost of 5 million pounds, to link Onitsha and Asaba in present-day Anambra and Delta States respectively. Thus, it became a gateway to what is politically referred to as the present south-east and parts of present-day south-south up to the south-west states.    Decades later, steady increase in human traffic on the bridge due to increase in population coupled with an upswing of socio-economic activities and urbanization led to increased human and vehicular traffic on the bridge, thus causing frightening wear and tear on the critical infrastructure.

http://businessandmaritimewestafrica.com/discourse/the-2nd-niger-bridge-and-politics-of-deceit

PLEASE CORRECT: The bridge was biult by the EASTERN REGION of the then Nigeria. One secterian Balewa had little or nothing to do with it.. .

@ topic: As at today, the new bridge can be biult at half the contract sum and at half of the construction time qouted. Everytthing about the new bridge is mirred in corruption. One just hopes it will be completed then the fight to remove the slavish toll-gates should start.
Re: Unbelievable! The Niger Bridge At Onitsha Was Built In Less Than One Year. by omenka(m): 12:24pm On Mar 08, 2015
We can all see what a deceitful conman this president is.

Imagine what happened the other day I posted a link of Jonathan saying, in 2011, he would go on exile if he doesn't complete the second Niger bridge in his tenure: someone (from the Eeast) came up and defended the president saying he was "referring to completing the bridge in his second tenure"!!

I was shocked to my marrows as to how some people have chose to hold unto backwardness with a bear hug.

3 Likes

Re: Unbelievable! The Niger Bridge At Onitsha Was Built In Less Than One Year. by owobokiri(m): 12:35pm On Mar 08, 2015
omenka:
We can all see what a deceitful conman this president is.

Imagine what happened the other day I posted a link of Jonathan saying, in 2011, he would go on exile if he doesn't complete the second Niger bridge in his tenure: someone (from the Eeast) came up and defended the president saying he was "referring to completing the bridge in his second tenure"!!

I was shocked to my marrows as to how some people have chose to hold unto backwardness with a bear hug.

The same way we are alarmed at your clannish defence of Tinubu/fashola dynasty when you are reminded that the money grabbing duo are biulding a dubious metroline at 100 times the price elsewhere with no end time in sight.

6 Likes

Re: Unbelievable! The Niger Bridge At Onitsha Was Built In Less Than One Year. by omenka(m): 12:54pm On Mar 08, 2015
owobokiri:

The same way we are alarmed at you clannish defence of Tinubu/fashola dynasty when you are reminded that the money grabbing duo are biulding a dubious metroline at 100 times the price elsewhere with no end time in sight.
Please remind me again, which offices are Tinubu and Fashola running for
Re: Unbelievable! The Niger Bridge At Onitsha Was Built In Less Than One Year. by owobokiri(m): 12:58pm On Mar 08, 2015
omenka:

I didn't know that corruption has differsnt "offices" , including those that can be probed and those that can't be probed! Thanks for the education.

4 Likes

Re: Unbelievable! The Niger Bridge At Onitsha Was Built In Less Than One Year. by Nobody: 12:58pm On Mar 08, 2015
This was built under a year but after 4 good years, jonathan needs another 4 to complete the construction of the second niger bridge. Like a friend said, Only fools will believe the promises of a failed incumbent president.

SaiBuhari

3 Likes

Re: Unbelievable! The Niger Bridge At Onitsha Was Built In Less Than One Year. by QuotaSystem: 12:58pm On Mar 08, 2015
owobokiri:

[s]PLEASE CORRECT: The bridge was biult by the EASTERN REGION of the then Nigeria. One secterian Balewa had little or nothing to do with it.. .[/s]

@ topic: As at today, the new bridge can be biult at half the contract sum and at half of the construction time qouted. Everytthing about the new bridge is mirred in corruption. One just hopes it will be completed then the fight to remove the slavish toll-gates should start.

Enslavement by who? Post saved for future reference
grin
Re: Unbelievable! The Niger Bridge At Onitsha Was Built In Less Than One Year. by Nobody: 1:03pm On Mar 08, 2015
cheesy don't mind people that doesn't reason with their brain but with their anus.

omenka:
Re: Unbelievable! The Niger Bridge At Onitsha Was Built In Less Than One Year. by alaoeri: 1:08pm On Mar 08, 2015
Calling on all Ndigbo to vote for Buhari, he will surely deliver the second Niger bridge & make una desert Jona because he's a scam.
Re: Unbelievable! The Niger Bridge At Onitsha Was Built In Less Than One Year. by PhockPhockMan: 2:53pm On Mar 08, 2015
omenka:
Foolish answer to a brilliant question. You expect Jonathan to complete all his projects in four years yet you defend fashola and Amaechi for stealing billions of Naira through rail projects they couldn't complete in eight years.
So unfortunate.

http://dailytrust.com.ng/daily/news/45536-we-can-t-complete-lagos-light-rail-project-fashola

http://www.dailytrust.com.ng/daily/news/48390-i-will-complete-amaechi-s-monorail-project-peterside

3 Likes

Re: Unbelievable! The Niger Bridge At Onitsha Was Built In Less Than One Year. by PhockPhockMan: 2:57pm On Mar 08, 2015
owobokiri:

I didn't know that corruption has differsnt "offices" , including those that can be probed and those that can't be probed! Thanks for the education.
Don't mind that guy.
Re: Unbelievable! The Niger Bridge At Onitsha Was Built In Less Than One Year. by MzJackBaueress(f): 3:05pm On Mar 08, 2015
We need Buhari and APC to build a Second Nigeria Bridge for us. We are tired of waiting for Jonathan for another 4years after wasting 3years promising us the bridge.
Re: Unbelievable! The Niger Bridge At Onitsha Was Built In Less Than One Year. by amuniiopz(m): 3:15pm On Mar 08, 2015
owobokiri:

The same way we are alarmed at you clannish defence of Tinubu/fashola dynasty when you are reminded that the money grabbing duo are biulding a dubious metroline at 100 times the price elsewhere with no end time in sight.
cursed set of people.

1 Like

Re: Unbelievable! The Niger Bridge At Onitsha Was Built In Less Than One Year. by PhockPhockMan: 3:19pm On Mar 08, 2015
MzJackBaueress:
We need Buhari and APC to build a Second Nigeria Bridge for us. We are tired of waiting for Jonathan for another 4years after wasting 3years promising us the bridge.
Point what Buhari did in Igbo land both as head of state and PTF chairman?
Enough of this APC deceptions.

Jonathan bu ome nke ahuru n'anya.

1 Like

Re: Unbelievable! The Niger Bridge At Onitsha Was Built In Less Than One Year. by MzJackBaueress(f): 3:27pm On Mar 08, 2015
PhockPhockMan:
Point what Buhari did in Igbo land both as head of state and PTF chairman?
Enough of this APC deceptions.

Jonathan bu ome nke ahuru n'anya.
you sound like one gullible and brainwashed Igbo dude I was arguing with on facebook. You sure say no be you?
Re: Unbelievable! The Niger Bridge At Onitsha Was Built In Less Than One Year. by PhockPhockMan: 3:36pm On Mar 08, 2015
MzJackBaueress:
you sound like one gullible and brainwashed Igbo dude I was arguing with on facebook. You sure say no be you?
You haven't answered my question,

"point what Buhari did in Igbo land both as head of state and PTF chairman"

1 Like

Re: Unbelievable! The Niger Bridge At Onitsha Was Built In Less Than One Year. by Nobody: 3:37pm On Mar 08, 2015
GEJ needs 4 more years to complete the drawing of the bridge.
Re: Unbelievable! The Niger Bridge At Onitsha Was Built In Less Than One Year. by talktimi(m): 5:43pm On Mar 08, 2015
PhockPhockMan:
Foolish answer to a brilliant question. You expect Jonathan to complete all his projects in four years yet you defend fashola and Amaechi for stealing billions of Naira through rail projects they couldn't complete in eight years.
So unfortunate.

http://dailytrust.com.ng/daily/news/45536-we-can-t-complete-lagos-light-rail-project-fashola

http://www.dailytrust.com.ng/daily/news/48390-i-will-complete-amaechi-s-monorail-project-peterside
thats the problem I have with APC e-rats, they see nothing despicable in their constant shifting of goal posts to suit the whims of their slave masters... Tufiakwa

1 Like

Re: Unbelievable! The Niger Bridge At Onitsha Was Built In Less Than One Year. by 5iine: 8:36am On Jul 12, 2022
Please let's wake this thread up! grin

How fa sai-baba and APC people??

(1) (Reply)

DG Of NBS And Reno Omokri Tear At Each Other On Twitter Over Nairaland Article / June 12: President Buhari Addresses Nigerians On Democracy Day (Live Updates) / Arms Deal: Ex-military Chiefs Offer To Refund Contract Sums-the Nation

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 53
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.