Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,894 members, 7,814,022 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 01:37 AM

............... - Programming (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / ............... (3673 Views)

Is This What Big IT Firms Do? Please Help Me Out Nairaland Programmers / Any Software Product From "nairaland Programmers"? / All Programmers Are Self Taught (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: ............... by Nobody: 6:02pm On Aug 04, 2013
Kingsonly: Php is great and easy have done a review of dem all n I stick with php I would rite a book on it soon
As much as i love PHP, its not recommended to stick to one language, Python is not bad, however attacking developers for using PHP is just childish.
Re: ............... by ooman(m): 6:37pm On Aug 04, 2013
Javanian:

why recursion over iteration?

precision
Re: ............... by elvis10ten(m): 7:13pm On Aug 04, 2013
olyjosh:

You 've just made a statement that i love to read and share in any web and programming forum section(However, No share button here "we will fix that... retweet" shocked).
Yes, it's time NL programming section start discussing complex Algorithm topics, find algorithm flaws and try to bring it forward for debate, developing home made SDKs. However, we should stop unnecessary discrimination of programming languages. Yes, you can review languages to know which one is best for you, find ratings online about them but you don't have to make some developers feel bad about what they 've known and that is working for them. Anyway, I see no reason why Seun reject php developers in most things he does, though I'm not a php developer,

//I
//CODE
//JAVA

but i understand php, i do work with it and i ve seen beatiful and successful projects that i ve been done with it :
Facebook - the most used social networking site.
Joomla, drupal, wordpress among other top 10 open source scripts. etc
last i checked wikipedia facebook = c++ and php if i remember right.
Re: ............... by megaplaza(m): 9:52pm On Aug 04, 2013
what am ssaying is that programs that use RECURSION are LIABLE TO STACKOVER FLOW error. We did android game and shortest path algorithm was implemented for 100x100 tiles thats 10,000 at most yet because of recursion, it had stackover flow problem we introduced Tail Recursion, it still shows that but rarely until we had to cache already calculate tiles so we can reused than recalculate. My point free from recursion when even you cann. Dont believe me?? Write a recursive function that calculates factorial and find factoriaal of 5million, do it tail rcursion way and see there is virtually no limit.

1 Like

Re: ............... by Javanian: 10:04pm On Aug 04, 2013
megaplaza: We did android game and shortest path algorithm

What was this game all about? and on what scenario was the Shortest Path Algorithm implemented? this is one Algorithm i haven't been able to fully understand...
Re: ............... by Djtm(m): 11:41pm On Aug 04, 2013
What's up with the hidden posts?
Re: ............... by Javanian: 11:46pm On Aug 04, 2013
^ They have nothing to do with topic
Re: ............... by Ajibel(m): 5:41am On Aug 05, 2013
This post has been hidden angry
Re: ............... by megaplaza(m): 6:46am On Aug 05, 2013
@Javanian, it is a war game, you command units(tanker, fighters, transporters etc) to move say a tanker from one position to another you have to use the shortest path from it's posiiton to it's destination because each unit has maximum distance it can move.

1 Like

Re: ............... by omonjerry: 3:07pm On Aug 05, 2013
i need someone who can build good virus
Re: ............... by Nobody: 3:31pm On Aug 05, 2013
@OP,
ease of use of a language does not translate to it being better.
your goal is what counts.

If i need to write a project i intend to resell e.g an SMS web application.
i'll use PHP, because 90% of my target buyers will be able to install in via cpanel and more buyers=more $$$
building it in python wont be business smart.

if i need to write a streaming server, I'll be looking outside PHP.

Always analyse the goal of the project, pocket size($$$), development time, team involvement, expected traffic volume etc. before choosing a language for your project.

Nairaland was redesigned with growth in mind. and the owner, with his experience with python believes python is the way to go. That is his opinion, business, and belief.

A real programmer should carry out personal tests and based on the results, make decision.
Stay off blog posts by other developers, their passion for their interest may affect the test environment which may have been tweaked to support their points

2 Likes

Re: ............... by mj(m): 9:20pm On Aug 05, 2013
webdezzi: @OP,
ease of use of a language does not translate to it being better.
your goal is what counts.

If i need to write a project i intend to resell e.g an SMS web application.
i'll use PHP, because 90% of my target buyers will be able to install in via cpanel and more buyers=more $$$
building it in python wont be business smart.

if i need to write a streaming server, I'll be looking outside PHP.

Always analyse the goal of the project, pocket size($$$), development time, team involvement, expected traffic volume etc. before choosing a language for your project.

Nairaland was redesigned with growth in mind. and the owner, with his experience with python believes python is the way to go. That is his opinion, business, and belief.

A real programmer should carry out personal tests and based on the results, make decision.
Stay off blog posts by other developers, their passion for their interest may affect the test environment which may have been tweaked to support their points

God Bless your Local Government.
Re: ............... by Fayimora(m): 2:20pm On Aug 07, 2013
megaplaza: Recursion over Iteration? It depends on the use case. Write a recursive factorial function that calculates factorial of say 1billion or 500million and lets see if you wont have stack overflow error. Recursion is not memory friendly and once you have a problem that involves recursive calls that runs into thousands you are bound to have a problem.

Sorry but that statement is technically wrong! To prove my point, how does your 'conjecture'(emphasis on conjecture) satisfy a recursive function that does not add a new stack frame to the call stack?

Re: ............... by megaplaza(m): 8:54pm On Aug 07, 2013
he didnt mention tail recursion ok I was talking about recursion not tail recursion, if you wwant to know that it's correct write just a recursive function to calculate factorial, i wasnt talking about where you use an accumulator that you pass around to hold intermediate and final result. Thanks

1 Like

Re: ............... by Fayimora(m): 11:05pm On Aug 07, 2013
megaplaza: he didnt mention tail recursion ok I was talking about recursion not tail recursion, if you wwant to know that it's correct write just a recursive function to calculate factorial, i wasnt talking about where you use an accumulator that you pass around to hold intermediate and final result. Thanks

huh? So you saying tail-recursion isn't recursion? lol
Re: ............... by megaplaza(m): 7:22am On Aug 08, 2013
hmmmm, you win. I guess the difference can be seen by only me. If i ask you to write

1. A recursive function that calculates factorial of numbers.

2. A tail recursive function that calculates factorial of numbers.

I guess you will hand in exactly same program for the two.

Implement tail recursion in Java with one method, you will probably end up with two methods one calling the other, is it a method now calling itself

recursion a function that calls itself until a base case is reached and after each call it gets closer to the base case. Do tail recursion in Java with one method, then we will know it's same cause obviously that scala function used two methods one embedded in the other.

Finally, he didnt say tail recursion over iteration and i didnt say tail recursion is not memory friendly, btw if someone says recursion i guess they are not talking about tail recursion or tail call optimization.

1 Like

Re: ............... by Fayimora(m): 12:50pm On Sep 10, 2013
I think you have gotten yourself confused. If you look at the code above properly, you'll notice that the recursive function is the inner function. I could have used that function but I simplified things with a wrapper function.

recursion a function that calls itself until a base case is reached and after each call it gets closer to the base case. Do tail recursion in Java with one method, then we will know it's same cause obviously that scala function used two methods one embedded in the other.
Don't forget that the function can also call other functions in the process wink .

btw if someone says recursion i guess they are not talking about tail recursion or tail call optimization.
Err that's like saying when someone says food they are not talking about Rice. Rice IS food!
OR
When someone says water, they are not talking about Sparkling water. Sparkling water IS water.

If you tell me to write a recursive function R to perform task T, I would write that function as I please. Tail recursion IS recursion. If you do not want me to use a certain type of recursion, then you have to specify it.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Top 20 Websites To Learn Coding With Java, Python, SQL, Algorithms, And Git For / The Greatest Challenge Of The Programming World / Recommend A Good Software Programming Training Center In India

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 29
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.