Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,165,954 members, 7,863,385 topics. Date: Monday, 17 June 2024 at 04:51 PM

African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread - Foreign Affairs (1103) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread (6034034 Views)

African Militaries Strictly Discussions Thread. / African Militaries - Discussed And Dissected / What Countries Have The Weakest Militaries In Africa? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (1100) (1101) (1102) (1103) (1104) (1105) (1106) ... (2854) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Adminisher: 4:58am On Apr 19, 2017
jakeporeshenko:

A turboprop aircraft would never replace a light/medium weight multirole jet or air superiority fighter, it can only complement and take on some of the work load for some specific type of missions like ISR and air interdiction, super Tucano cannot police our air space.

I don't see the point of this stingy behavior, since we know these things can't replace eachother I say we get a balanced mixture of both.

Light attack + medium mitirole + proper air defences
Light attack + heavy air superiortity

Exactly so let us suggest to the FG to make provision for SU 34 for are superiority but please don't even try to chase insurgents with these aircraft. Threat assessments reveal gaps that are plugged by specific platforms there is no one size fits all because the turboprop can never have the character and operational character as a jet
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Nobody: 5:58am On Apr 19, 2017
Adminisher:

Exactly so let us suggest to the FG to make provision for SU 34 for are superiority but please don't even try to chase insurgents with these aircraft. Threat assessments reveal gaps that are plugged by specific platforms there is no one size fits all because the turboprop can never have the character and operational character as a jet

SU-34 is not an Air Superiority fighter, it is a Ground Attack/Strike Fighter.
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Nobody: 6:28am On Apr 19, 2017
Nigerian Army T-72, Vickers and AML-60

2 Likes

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Nobody: 6:53am On Apr 19, 2017
Nigerian Air Force C-130 pilots in Banjul, Gambia

2 Likes

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by M14A1: 7:05am On Apr 19, 2017
lionel4power:
how do you guys sleep at night when you come here where different category of people come to chill out after the days work, post your opinion and PRESENT it as fact??

HOW?
grin
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Nobody: 7:10am On Apr 19, 2017
Nigerian Army

4 Likes

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by andrewza: 7:18am On Apr 19, 2017
Henry240:

SU-34 is not an Air Superiority fighter, it is a Ground Attack/Strike Fighter.

Su34 is one of the best strike aircraft out there. But it is a bit costly and single rolled for NAF. I think he meant the su27 or su30 though. Again a costly choice but it is a proper multi role air craft. You could phase out the alpha jets and J7 and run just su30s, a few alpha as fast jet trainers and super tucoons. A small air force in terms of number of aircraft but far more deadly. Cheap turbo props for light ground support and COIN and a big su30 for conventional war far and larg scal strikes.

The super have a number of advantages over jets in COIN. They cheaper to run, easier to maintain, have a smaller logiscal foot print and need less complicated runways. They can oprate close to the front. There ISTR ablieties are all so top notch. Around 18 should do with arround 8 to 18 su30s. I might even say 8 su30s so to keep flying hours high but buying 18 and kerping 10 in reserve is a good choice.

NAF does not need to many fighters. You surrounded by pretty weak air force's and your most likely threats are all rebels wether internal or external.

Other opstion is to just embrace the American capture and get bunch of F16s. You could get them on the cheap to free. Pilots can get trained in the USA or even Israel. And the F16 is better than any thing you have in serves and any thing any one arround you has. USA will help run them kerping glying hours high and numbers high. Of course your payment is high and not in cash.

5 Likes

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by zynzyn(m): 8:07am On Apr 19, 2017
Xbee007:

Truth be told the three units from Brazil is enough. BH war will not last forever, we need to have good foresight.

Has enough been done to damage their ability to recruit new members or evolve into something else?

Al Qaeda evolved into ISIS!
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Nobody: 8:29am On Apr 19, 2017
andrewza:

Su34 is one of the best strike aircraft out there. But it is a bit costly and single rolled for NAF. I think he meant the su27 or su30 though. Again a costly choice but it is a proper multi role air craft. You could phase out the alpha jets and J7 and run just su30s, a few alpha as fast jet trainers and super tucoons. A small air force in terms of number of aircraft but far more deadly. Cheap turbo props for light ground support and COIN and a big su30 for conventional war far and larg scal strikes.

The super have a number of advantages over jets in COIN. They cheaper to run, easier to maintain, have a smaller logiscal foot print and need less complicated runways. They can oprate close to the front. There ISTR ablieties are all so top notch. Around 18 should do with arround 8 to 18 su30s. I might even say 8 su30s so to keep flying hours high but buying 18 and kerping 10 in reserve is a good choice.

NAF does not need to many fighters. You surrounded by pretty weak air force's and your most likely threats are all rebels wether internal or external.

Other opstion is to just embrace the American capture and get bunch of F16s. You could get them on the cheap to free. Pilots can get trained in the USA or even Israel. And the F16 is better than any thing you have in serves and any thing any one arround you has. USA will help run them kerping glying hours high and numbers high. Of course your payment is high and not in cash.

The SU-34 is the world's best strike fighter, NAF missions are primarily strike missions. Strike/Interdiction missions form the core if all NAF attack missions.

We could do with an aircraft like the SU-34, we require multi-mission aircrafts. The Su-30 has never been a choice for me or the NAF. NAF's requirement is for a single engine multi-role fighter, our country is not that large. Hence the choice of the JF-17 Thunder.

The Alpha Jets are old, and they would be replaced soon enough.

The Super Tucano has so many advantages in a COIN or LICW threat environment. We need those planes, but not at the costs rumoured as been quoted.

JF-17 is way miles better than the F-16 from an NAF point of view. Hence we are going for them.
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by kikuyu1(m): 9:18am On Apr 19, 2017
Hrmnn:
Pantser okes and mounted infantry having bad days. Not at all funny at the time no doubt, but they make for good stories later. wink

The first one reminds me of a funny story that has been retold many times and undergone many national varieties. I think versions have been told in the Russian and US armies before.

So this lucky loot gets the word that he's going to be a new father. The dad to be decides to celebrate in typical army style by going fishing: takes a few of his men, a couple crates of ice cold shumbas, an APC, and they set off into the bush.

Soon they reach an idyllic lake.

Fishing in this context of course mostly means knocking back a few beers in good company. I suppose there was actual fishing involved, if you count throwing grenades into the lake.

After a few too many, one of the sharper sticks in the bundle gets the bright idea to fish in the middle of the lake. This will make things invariably more productive and interesting. Everybody agrees and they plunge the APC into the lake with gusto.

Unfortunately in all this excitement someone has forgotten to close all those lovely little hatches and ports so the vehicle almost immediately sinks. Whoops!

Nobody drowns, which is a miracle in itself, but now our heroes have to recover the APC. A distinctly unimpressed salvage team is summoned. These okes put on their scuba gear, and go underwater to see what's what.

When they surface, the team leader asks the loot what the serial number of his APC is. Naturally he is dumbfounded.

"The serial number? What? Why?"

"Because there are four sunken APCs in this lake!"

These pix remind me of how the KDF in the 80s almost bought the FOX 6X6. A couple came for a field test as a purchase probe. The German engineer swore up and down it was purposely manufactured not to capsize onto its side.
Heinz saw the FOX on its back at the N Kenya army training ground and was speechless as the driver swore up and down he followed all instructions. The nigga returned to Germany speechless and the KDF never bought this excellent platform.

2 Likes

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by andrewza: 9:29am On Apr 19, 2017
zynzyn:

Has enough been done to damage their ability to recruit new members or evolve into something else?

Al Qaeda evolved into ISIS!

AQ did not become ISIS. ISIS broke away from AQ. AQ is still around.

1 Like

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by andrewza: 9:39am On Apr 19, 2017
Henry240:

The SU-34 is the world's best strike fighter, NAF missions are primarily strike missions. Strike/Interdiction missions form the core if all NAF attack missions.

We could do with an aircraft like the SU-34, we require multi-mission aircrafts. The Su-30 has never been a choice for me or the NAF. NAF's requirement is for a single engine multi-role fighter, our country is not that large. Hence the choice of the JF-17 Thunder.

The Alpha Jets are old, and they would be replaced soon enough.

The Super Tucano has so many advantages in a COIN or LICW threat environment. We need those planes, but not at the costs rumoured as been quoted.

JF-17 is way miles better than the F-16 from an NAF point of view. Hence we are going for them.

Maybe replace the alpha jets with L15s. It is costly for a trainer but it a good light fighter.

The supper may look expensive but many ti.es these deals are more than just aircraft. It could include ISTR package, maintenance deal, simulators, training, weapons extra extra

Dont knock the f16. In numbers the USA can provide for cheap. Money wise.

I would take tge su25 over su34s. Nigeria does not need the air craft like the su24 or su34.
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by MiddleDimension: 9:55am On Apr 19, 2017
andrewza:

Maybe replace the alpha jets with L15s. It is costly for a trainer but it a good light fighter.

The supper may look expensive but many ti.es these deals are more than just aircraft. It could include ISTR package, maintenance deal, simulators, training, weapons extra extra

I would take tge su25 over su34s. Nigeria does not need the air craft like the su24 or su34.

a bit off point but pls tell me your experiences living with your condition. how is relationship with the people around you? does it have an impact in your romance? just tell me how life has been with you living with the condition. your xperience can help me
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Nobody: 10:02am On Apr 19, 2017
andrewza:

On the trainer replacement, we don't have any clue what the NAF would/might go for. However in my opinion, the main contenders would be the L-15, L-139, M-346, MB-339CD, K-8 and FTC-2000. It is unlikely that we would go for a Russian or American trainer.

As for the price been rumoured, nobody can say for certain if the rumoured prices are fact. However, with all you listed, 600 million is still way too much.

NAF will never get the F-16. Besides that, if by some miracle that were to happen, the F-16s would be stripped off my important assets which would make it useless. With the JF-17, which is an excellent multi-role fighter, we can decide to add whatever ever systems we want. Alot more flexibility = more potency.
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by MikeCZA: 10:19am On Apr 19, 2017
Henry240:

On the trainer replacement, we don't have any clue what the NAF would/might go for. However in my opinion, the main contenders would be the L-15, L-139, M-346, MB-339CD, K-8 and FTC-2000. It is unlikely that we would go for a Russian or American trainer.

As for the price been rumoured, nobody can say for certain if the rumoured prices are fact. However, with all you listed, 600 million is still way too much.

NAF will never get the F-16. Besides that, if by some miracle that were to happen, the F-16s would be stripped off my important assets which would make it useless. With the JF-17, which is an excellent multi-role fighter, we can decide to add whatever ever systems we want. Alot more flexibility = more potency.
You know you'll get the export version of the JF-17?
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Nobody: 10:20am On Apr 19, 2017
MikeCZA:
You know you'll get the export version of the JF-17?

Until that actually happens there is only one version. That's what we would get.
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Nobody: 10:40am On Apr 19, 2017
some algerian military industry

pass the interviews

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DrDXiab4XAE
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Nobody: 11:05am On Apr 19, 2017
oldies ..... SA-8B Gecko - air defense , algeria (48 systems were acquired in beginning 80s , upgraded and still in service )

The surveillance radar of the LAND ROLL "Sa-8" operates in the H band and has an effective range of around 30 kilometers against a typical target.
The tracking radar is of the pulsed type and it operates in the J band with a range of 20 to 25 kilometers.
The two I-band guidance radars make it possible to launch two missiles at the same target, each one responding to a different frequency to frustrate ECM.

Mounted on top of each missile guidance radar is an LLLTV/optical assist system for target tracking in low visibility and heavy ECM. LAND ROLL is also known to have a short-range target acquisition capability.

Optical alternative guidance. Since the SA-8 engages in close-in combat against tactical aircraft, optics are desirable for ECCM. This is a standard Soviet doctrine for most SAM systems. Performance envelop that ensures at least 5 to 7 kilometers or greater high PK range against close-in maneu vering targets. Very good low altitude capability. .........

In summary, the SA-8 represents a formidable air defense capability precisely tailored by the Soviets to fit the tactical requirement for rapid river crossing of assault forces as a matter of course. It is a potent addition to the battlefield, and it has no counterpart at present in the West. Western analysts would do well to reexamine their concepts of barriers and hasty river crossing, in view of the Soviet doctrine of assault river crossing as a matter of course and the appearance of numerous specialized systems, such as the SA-8.

1 Like

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by GreenandGold: 11:15am On Apr 19, 2017
chkil0:
oldies SA-8B Gecko - air defense , algeria (still in service )

The surveillance radar of the LAND ROLL "Sa-8" operates in the H band and has an effective range of around 30 kilometers against a typical target.
The tracking radar is of the pulsed type and it operates in the J band with a range of 20 to 25 kilometers.
The two I-band guidance radars make it possible to launch two missiles at the same target, each one responding to a different frequency to frustrate ECM.

Mounted on top of each missile guidance radar is an LLLTV/optical assist system for target tracking in low visibility and heavy ECM. LAND ROLL is also known to have a short-range target acquisition capability.

Optical alternative guidance. Since the SA-8 engages in close-in combat against tactical aircraft, optics are desirable for ECCM. This is a standard Soviet doctrine for most SAM systems. Performance envelop that ensures at least 5 to 7 kilometers or greater high PK range against close-in maneu vering targets. Very good low altitude capability. .........

In summary, the SA-8 represents a formidable air defense capability precisely tailored by the Soviets to fit the tactical requirement for rapid river crossing of assault forces as a matter of course. It is a potent addition to the battlefield, and it has no counterpart at present in the West. Western analysts would do well to reexamine their concepts of barriers and hasty river crossing, in view of the Soviet doctrine of assault river crossing as a matter of course and the appearance of numerous specialized systems, such as the SA-8.

We captured a similar system in Angola, it was either operated by the Angolans or the Cubans.

To amazement I saw it in AAD 2012 (if not mistaken) driving perfectly fine.

1 Like

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by andrewza: 11:27am On Apr 19, 2017
GreenandGold:

We captured a similar system in Angola, it was either operated by the Angolans or the Cubans.

To amazement I saw it in AAD 2012 (if not mistaken) driving perfectly fine.

It kept in working condition. Though it is not operational.
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by gottfried21(m): 11:55am On Apr 19, 2017
A French sniper took this picture from the roof of Bangui airport in the Central Africa Republic

2 Likes

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by oyinpr(m): 12:02pm On Apr 19, 2017
Henry240:
Nigerian Army
#acarestrictionforces
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Nobody: 12:08pm On Apr 19, 2017
Rwandan peacekeepers in the CAR

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Nobody: 12:09pm On Apr 19, 2017
African country, but I don't know which

CAR

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Nobody: 12:10pm On Apr 19, 2017
Egypt in the CAR

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Nobody: 12:12pm On Apr 19, 2017
Beautiful photo of a Senegalese MI-35 in the CAR

4 Likes

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Nobody: 12:33pm On Apr 19, 2017
Nigerian navy at sea in 45 seconds

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1FgG249ipZ8

3 Likes

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by bidexiii: 12:38pm On Apr 19, 2017
dakingsman:
Nigerian navy at sea in 45 seconds

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1FgG249ipZ8

shot video but a nice one................ grin grin grin

2 Likes

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Nobody: 1:28pm On Apr 19, 2017
NAF

4 Likes

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by TrueHeart365(m): 1:53pm On Apr 19, 2017
Nigeria COIN

3 Likes

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Tinfoil: 2:28pm On Apr 19, 2017
chkil0:
oldies ..... SA-8B Gecko - air defense , algeria (48 systems were acquired in beginning 80s , upgraded and still in service )

As the recent cruise missile strike by the US on a Syrian air force base that was under the protection of Russian s400, buk and tor shows the Russian air defense system are nothing but overhyped pieces of expensive junk. Even Israel routinely penetrates it to strike the Syrian army.
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by patches689: 2:33pm On Apr 19, 2017
Tinfoil:

As the recent cruise missile strike by the US on a Syrian air force base that was under the protection of Russian s400, buk and tor shows the Russian air defense system are nothing but overhyped pieces of expensive junk. Even Israel routinely penetrates it to strike the Syrian army.

Trump told Putin about the strike before it happened.

Strike was nothing but an expensive fireworks show that affected neither Putin nor Assad

Why risk nuclear war by shooting down American missiles?

Pics: The fvcking ridiculous war in Libya (past to present) [also: WHEN YOU SEE IT]

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) ... (1100) (1101) (1102) (1103) (1104) (1105) (1106) ... (2854) (Reply)

Kenya Is Ahead of Nigeria In All Aspect (Facts Don't Lie)

Viewing this topic: Tinfoil and 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 77
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.