Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,157,917 members, 7,835,064 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 02:57 AM

African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread - Foreign Affairs (1767) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread (5992642 Views)

African Militaries Strictly Discussions Thread. / African Militaries - Discussed And Dissected / What Countries Have The Weakest Militaries In Africa? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (1764) (1765) (1766) (1767) (1768) (1769) (1770) ... (2846) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by SternProphet: 6:06pm On Oct 31, 2018
Henry240:

I just hope Nigeria doesn't go for a desert camouflage pattern.

With the Tucano, do you think there would be an urgent need for a targeting pod with this aircraft?

How many targeting pods have been qualified for Super Tucano?. Maybe ZERO. If we are acquiring targeting pods, the weight limitations aside, i am sure we will run afoul of the US and its risk management framework for supplying the aircraft to us. We will deploy ground attack capability that puts their assets under risk.
By conception, these aircraft will always be COIN with "4th generation capability equivalents" not a "4th generation aircraft" in every sense.
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by MiddleDimension: 6:36pm On Oct 31, 2018
Henry240:
Nigerian Air Force cool cool

Coming soon to the Nigerian Air Force
just hope they don't give it camo
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Nobody: 7:07pm On Oct 31, 2018
MiddleDimension:
just hope they don't give it camo
I just hope they don't. It would just end up making a beautiful aircraft ugly.

1 Like

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Nobody: 7:16pm On Oct 31, 2018
SternProphet:

How many targeting pods have been qualified for Super Tucano?. Maybe ZERO. If we are acquiring targeting pods, the weight limitations aside, i am sure we will run afoul of the US and its risk management framework for supplying the aircraft to us. We will deploy ground attack capability that puts their assets under risk.
By conception, these aircraft will always be COIN with "4th generation capability equivalents" not a "4th generation aircraft" in every sense.
You didn't quite get my question.

The Tucano already has a very modern target acquisition and surveillance system which allows the aircraft deploy laser guided munitions. It doesn't need to carry a pod since it already has a built in FLIR system. The Tucanos would be our primary ground attack aircraft.

A targeting pod like the Aselpod or Lightening functions in the same fashion as the FLIR in the Tucano.

My question was, the capabilities would be too overlapping, and i really don't see the need for a quick purchase of a targeting pod for the JF-17.
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Nobody: 8:35pm On Oct 31, 2018
SternProphet:

Some of these datalinjs give supplier countries spectator seats on all military operations you are doing in your country. It won't even take much. An officer in some boring office in the NSA will mi e troves of info on humdreds of ongoing military operations. Bots will do the hard job for him.
don't know how possible that is but South Africa has developed its own tactical data link anyway after the US did not want to sell SA link 16.
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by MiddleDimension: 9:02pm On Oct 31, 2018
Henry240:

I just hope they don't. It would just end up making a beautiful aircraft ugly.

i have never liked those camos on fighter jets

1 Like

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Nobody: 10:14pm On Oct 31, 2018
Off-topic

If you're a military buff, you would have noticed this photo has been breaking the "military internet" for days now.

A Norwegian soldier from the military's intelligence long range reconnaissance patrol.

4 Likes

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by SuperSixOne: 10:31pm On Oct 31, 2018
Henry240:

The Tucano already has a very modern target acquisition and surveillance system which allows the aircraft deploy laser guided munitions. It doesn't need to carry a pod since it already has a built in FLIR system.

In fact seven AN/AAQ-22F Brite Star II 'turrets' are included in the Tucanos deal to be fitted underbelly on the platforms if needed.

2 Likes

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Nobody: 10:50pm On Oct 31, 2018
Nigerian and French Navy Joint exercise

4 Likes

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by HORRORIZON: 11:10pm On Oct 31, 2018
Henry240:
Nigerian Air Force cool cool

Coming soon to the Nigerian Air Force
www.nairaland.com/attachments/8054419_img6fec509f46f38ccc5b7126cf81867a51_jpega469897382bad38ae5380389dff76d38

Hopefully they don't paint them as they unfortunately seem to like to do.

1 Like

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Nobody: 7:25am On Nov 01, 2018
I have noticed no pictures of bombers of any sort has been posted here since I followed.

Does any African military posses any bomber of any kind?
Just asking.
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by SternProphet: 7:30am On Nov 01, 2018
Henry240:

You didn't quite get my question.

The Tucano already has a very modern target acquisition and surveillance system which allows the aircraft deploy laser guided munitions. It doesn't need to carry a pod since it already has a built in FLIR system. The Tucanos would be our primary ground attack aircraft.

A targeting pod like the Aselpod or Lightening functions in the same fashion as the FLIR in the Tucano.

My question was, the capabilities would be too overlapping, and i really don't see the need for a quick purchase of a targeting pod for the JF-17.

My point is that the FLIR BRITE Star II multi-sensor targeting imager that can also do ISR is ......ONE step below the capabilities of a full targeting pod. The corresponding targeting pod AN/AAQ-28(V) LITENING for precision strike has not been approved for Super Tucano. Indeed the whole point of the Super Tucano is to find a way round heavy, expensive targeting pods for taking out bad guys. You are correct we don't need the LITENING or any other expensive pods even though it must be realized that accurate weapons delivery is still one step below precision strike.
Will they do the same thing?
Some munitions will take out the ground around a slowly moving Boko Haram vehicle and destroy the vehicle. Precision strike will take out the vehicle turret and neutralize everyone inside.
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Nobody: 9:31am On Nov 01, 2018
Algerian Air Force SU-30MKA

5 Likes

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Nobody: 9:42am On Nov 01, 2018
French Mistral LPD in Lagos

3 Likes

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by LTGEN: 9:47am On Nov 01, 2018
Henry240:
French Mistral LPD in Lagos
Watching Cameroon from a safe distance?
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Nobody: 9:51am On Nov 01, 2018
Henry240:

3D pic from Digital Combat Simulator World

1 Like

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Nobody: 10:18am On Nov 01, 2018
krattoss:
I have noticed no pictures of bombers of any sort has been posted here since I followed.

Does any African military posses any bomber of any kind?
Just asking.

Heavy bombers ? They are useless for most africcan countries specially in north africa , you can use them only if you destroy most enemy air defense systems but if the enemy is a big fish , they will be easily getting down from far . now days they use small bombers like sukhoi 24 for algeria , (sukhoi 34 soon) or multirole fighters to.do the job.

In the past :

Egypt had the Tupolev 16 (pic 1 )
Libya was using the Tupolev 22 ( pic 2 intercepted by US navy)
Aigeria had 14 iliouchine 28 (pic3)
Morocco got also 4 illiouchine 28 in 60's 70's

3 Likes

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by SuperSixOne: 10:22am On Nov 01, 2018
SternProphet:

My point is that the FLIR BRITE Star II multi-sensor targeting imager that can also do ISR is ......ONE step below the capabilities of a full targeting pod.

How do you come to this conclusion? The BRITE Star II laser has a targeting range of 20km and works with Paveway II, Hellfire and any other Laser guided ATGM, not good enough?

3 Likes

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Nobody: 12:43pm On Nov 01, 2018
Nigerian Defence Industry

The Nigerian navy is building a new 45 meters patrol vessel.

I think this is it.

Suspected image of Seaward Defence Boat 3.

5 Likes

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Nobody: 4:04pm On Nov 01, 2018
Xx
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Nicheey(m): 6:17pm On Nov 01, 2018
Henry240:
Nigerian and French Navy Joint exercise

Why is thunder flying France flag?
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Xbee007(m): 6:27pm On Nov 01, 2018
Algerian1:

Heavy bombers ? They are useless for most africcan countries specially in north africa , you can use them only if you destroy most enemy air defense systems but if the enemy is a big fish , they will be easily getting down from far . now days they use small bombers like sukhoi 24 for algeria , (sukhoi 34 soon) or multirole fighters to.do the job.

In the past :

Egypt had the Tupolev 16 (pic 1 )
Libya was using the Tupolev 22 ( pic 2 intercepted by US navy)
Aigeria had 14 iliouchine 28 (pic3)
Morocco got also 4 illiouchine 28 in 60's 70's
Those bombers would really be useful to Nigerian Air Force. A single bombing run would ensure that those terrorists that normally appear in NAF ISR videos, running helter skelter, will have a quick meet with the 72virgins.
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Nobody: 7:39pm On Nov 01, 2018
Nicheey:

Why is thunder flying France flag?
It's not, and that's not Thunder. The Nigerian ship is the 3rd ship in the last picture.
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Nobody: 10:24pm On Nov 01, 2018
Marakech air show 2018 , Moroccan AF

2 Likes

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Nobody: 10:46pm On Nov 01, 2018
Xbee007:

Those bombers would really be useful to Nigerian Air Force. A single bombing run would ensure that those terrorists that normally appear in NAF ISR videos, running helter skelter, will have a quick meet with the 72virgins.

Strategic bombers are too powerful to use them against boko haram and small terrorist groups .

for boko this two babies on the pic . each one can carry 32 OFAB-100 bombs . (100 kg bombs × 32) for each sukhoi 30 or 28/ FAB 250 can roast a large area . but even heavy multirole aircraft are too powerful.for boko . attack helicopters should do the job even better . curious to know why nigerian AF use F7 alphajet and not the Mi 35 to clean terrorist nests

4 Likes

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by patches689: 12:13am On Nov 02, 2018
Algerian1:

Strategic bombers are too powerful to use them against boko haram and small terrorist groups .

for boko this two babies on the pic . each one can carry 32 OFAB-100 bombs . (100 kg bombs × 32) for each sukhoi 30 or 28/ FAB 250 can roast a large area . but even heavy multirole aircraft are too powerful.for boko . attack helicopters should do the job even better . curious to know why nigerian AF use F7 alphajet and not the Mi 35 to clean terrorist nests

"We heard you like bombs, so we put bombs on your bombs"

[Stay tuned for next weeks episode of P.i.m.p. my Payload]

4 Likes

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by patches689: 12:16am On Nov 02, 2018
Xbee007:

Too messy to innacurate

You would spend allot of money blowing up a whole lot of nothing.

What you want is a medium fighter carrying a load of those Chinese LS guided bombs... little 50kg bombs that are perfect for blowing up cars and unfortified positions.

But not so big that you end up destroying entire villages. Because you are bombing Nigeria, so you need to fix what you blow-up.

6 Likes

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by gottfried21(m): 7:23am On Nov 02, 2018

1 Like

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Nobody: 9:43am On Nov 02, 2018
Algerian Kilo 636 M spotted in baltic sea this days

3 Likes

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Nobody: 12:34pm On Nov 02, 2018
Yesterday 1 november , was the 64 anniversary of the last algerian revolution war against french colonizer november,1st 1954 to 1962

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=60sjXnazJXI
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by 61mech: 3:26pm On Nov 02, 2018
SDB's for when you want to go after technicals etc.

But when you have them trapped in a area where you know there's no civilians i'd go with cheap barrel bombs.
Roll them out of the back of a C-130 by the hundreds and carpet bomb the living hell out of them.
You could simulate a B-52 strike for very little money by filling up some diesel drums with cheap commercial explosives like what they use in mines. No need to worry about anti air if you do your runs at night.
You'd have to have strict rules of engagement though. No bombing near towns or civilians.

patches689:

Too messy to innacurate

You would spend allot of money blowing up a whole lot of nothing.

What you want is a medium fighter carrying a load of those Chinese LS guided bombs... little 50kg bombs that are perfect for blowing up cars and unfortified positions.

But not so big that you end up destroying entire villages. Because you are bombing Nigeria, so you need to fix what you blow-up.

2 Likes

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by MiddleDimension: 4:03pm On Nov 02, 2018
Henry240:

this is what we should be going for, don't you think?

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) ... (1764) (1765) (1766) (1767) (1768) (1769) (1770) ... (2846) (Reply)

Kenya Is Ahead of Nigeria In All Aspect (Facts Don't Lie)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 50
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.