Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,161,572 members, 7,847,401 topics. Date: Saturday, 01 June 2024 at 04:56 PM

African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread - Foreign Affairs (1799) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread (6010082 Views)

African Militaries Strictly Discussions Thread. / African Militaries - Discussed And Dissected / What Countries Have The Weakest Militaries In Africa? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (1796) (1797) (1798) (1799) (1800) (1801) (1802) ... (2849) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Habane(m): 8:02pm On Dec 19, 2018
The death will have their peace.

3 Likes

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by 61mech: 8:21pm On Dec 19, 2018
I'd say the GDLS Flyer is more analogous to the Hornet in concept.
Looks much more capable off-road than Hornet, but might be longer and heavier.
Does anyone know if the SANDF has ever lifted Hornets with Oryx in exercise or airdropped from a C-130?
I've never seen a pick, but I remember seeing a Wasp/Hornet in a airdrop cage type setup.

Henry240:

I think i might have found a vehicle that's very similar to the Hornet. It's Polish.

Wirus Reconnaissance/ Fast Intervention Vehicle.

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by joshingjosh(m): 9:03pm On Dec 19, 2018
Ibrahimanis:
I know it's inconsequential, but what really pisses me off after the video itself is the title. Especially that word "elite". Imagine every one who watches the video thinking "so that's how Nigerian elite soldiers looks like"

After watching the video, I understood that the elite their are talking about doesn't really mean special forces kind off...it's just that they are assigned specific duties which is to protect the president and the FCT.... My own view though wink smiley

3 Likes

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by LTGEN: 9:31pm On Dec 19, 2018
iblawi:

The only thing YOU celebrated not WE.

I wonder if you guys remember the sins of Alex Badeh.

The same Chief of defence staff that was accumulating the salaries of dead soldiers, or the 1 buying 3 used and unserviceable mi24 for over $130 million and still had to remove parts from our old mi24 helicopters before the could work.

I still believe that guy might have been killed by angry soldiers.
I still believe that guy might have been killed by angry soldiers. lipsrsealed lipsrsealed
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by GeneralFarouq: 9:53pm On Dec 19, 2018
joshingjosh:

After watching the video, I understood that the elite their are talking about doesn't really mean special forces kind off...it's just that they are assigned specific duties which is to protect the president and the FCT.... My own view though wink smiley
Yea, I gree with you jor.

1 Like

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Nobody: 6:53am On Dec 20, 2018
61mech:
Do you know the backstory on this incident ?

Nope.

The story ran in French, so you'll need to check French sources, Operation Serval.
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Nobody: 6:55am On Dec 20, 2018
61mech:
I'd say the GDLS Flyer is more analogous to the Hornet in concept.
Looks much more capable off-road than Hornet, but might be longer and heavier.
Does anyone know if the SANDF has ever lifted Hornets with Oryx in exercise or airdropped from a C-130?
I've never seen a pick, but I remember seeing a Wasp/Hornet in a airdrop cage type setup.

Yes, the GLDS Flyer takes it. It's a more analogous vehicle.
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Nobody: 6:58am On Dec 20, 2018
SANDF

DRC

MONUSCO

3 Likes

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Nobody: 6:59am On Dec 20, 2018
Mali Super Tucano

6x Units purchased from Brazil

4 Likes

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Nobody: 7:01am On Dec 20, 2018
Nigerian army

1 Like

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Nobody: 7:09am On Dec 20, 2018
Bus war

War in Angola

The Nigerian army fighting in Angola during the border war, captured South-African soldiers.

Two of these men were flown to Lagos and Displayed to the media in Nigeria.

2 Likes

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Geronimoe: 7:51am On Dec 20, 2018
Henry240:
Bus war

War in Angola

The Nigerian army fighting in Angola during the border war, captured South-African soldiers.

Oh! So Nigerian soldiers fought in the Bush war too? The South Africans try sha for them to be able to resist such amalgam of armies.

1 Like

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Fidha254(m): 9:04am On Dec 20, 2018

I don't find this funny, seriously,
The training ain't easy.... I pray God guide him through...it ain't easy at all, only God knows where he has been running from and subsequently going to, or even the psychological torture he has been through...
I pray God guide, protect and reward him accordingly
The instructor was being very nice trying to tell him to walk just a few meters to the truck(ambulance) where you can see a medic coming out to take care of the guy.... The recruit was the last guy in his team, You have to be broken down then remodeled into a tougher soldier who can be depended on. How do you expect him to pursue his enemies for days in the jungle?

Anyway, I have never enrolled for recruit training but I have been in a certain club where you are divided in groups each with a map and a compass and then each group has to navigate for like 4-5 days for like 70km then 100km then 150km ....etc and record everything in between to make sure you dont cheat and take a shortcut.... most of the time the locations of these tasks would be in very mountainous regions .. After day two of climbing mountains, hills, valleys, bushes, rivers and then having to cook our own food in the bush, some guys used to completely breakdown like the guy in the video, grown up men would cry so hard and start wishing their mothers were there.... Every-time I went for another expedition I would be cursing the whole time and swearing I would never be back for any other expedition...... But a week/month after every expedition I would be laughing off at how much fun it was and eager to sign up for the next expedition...... Thats why I laughed so hard when I saw that video, It reminded me about the fun times..

1 Like

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Nobody: 9:10am On Dec 20, 2018

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by patches689: 10:24am On Dec 20, 2018
Henry240:
Bus war

War in Angola

I know you guys are having a rough time, but there is no point in coming on here and making up history.

Nigeria played no meaningful role in angola and certainly weren’t involved in the Southern Front.

The two in your picture are part of a batch of 4 who were captured during operation Savannah and were flown around Africa for the press.

2 Likes

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by GeneralFarouq: 10:24am On Dec 20, 2018
Fidha254:
The instructor was being very nice trying to tell him to walk just a few meters to the truck(ambulance) where you can see a medic coming out to take care of the guy.... The recruit was the last guy in his team, You have to be broken down then remodeled into a tougher soldier who can be depended on. How do you expect him to pursue his enemies for days in the jungle?

Anyway, I have never enrolled for recruit training but I have been in a certain club where you are divided in groups each with a map and a compass and then each group has to navigate for like 4-5 days for like 70km then 100km then 150km ....etc and record everything in between to make sure you dont cheat and take a shortcut.... most of the time the locations of these tasks would be in very mountainous regions .. After day two of climbing mountains, hills, valleys, bushes, rivers and then having to cook our own food in the bush, some guys used to completely breakdown like the guy in the video, grown up men would cry so hard and start wishing their mothers were there.... Every-time I went for another expedition I would be cursing the whole time and swearing I would never be back for any other expedition...... But a week/month after every expedition I would be laughing off at how much fun it was and eager to sign up for the next expedition...... Thats why I laughed so hard when I saw that video, It reminded me about the fun times..

Too right mate.

1 Like

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Nobody: 10:29am On Dec 20, 2018
patches689:

I know you guys are having a rough time, but there is no point in coming on here and making up history.

Nigeria played no meaningful role in angola and certainly weren’t involved in the Southern Front.
Like everyone else, you're entitled to your opinion.

1 Like

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by patches689: 10:30am On Dec 20, 2018
Henry240:

Like everyone else, you're entitled to your opinion.

It’s not an opinion, it’s fact.

If you wish to claim
A. Nigeria played a meaningful role in the war
B. They captured South afrixan soldiers

You can go ahead and post a source

1 Like

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by patches689: 10:35am On Dec 20, 2018
Henry240:
Bus war

War in Angola

While Botha claimed that South African intervention in Angola was confined to securing the border and the Cunene hydroelectric scheme, four SADF soldiers were captured deep within that country.21 This occurred on 13 December 1975 shortly after the Battle of Bridge 14 on the Nhia River (Cuanza Sul) near Catofe.22 Three days later, the South Africans were displayed to the media in Luanda in order to expose the SADF’s involvement in the Angolan civil war. They were identified as:
 Cpl Johannes Gerhardus Terblanche  Pvt Robert Wilson
 Pvt Graham Danney
 Pvt Robert Wiehahn.
These were not frontline troops; they were attached to the Technical Services Corps that was part of the mechanical support team accompanying Battle Group Foxbat. Terblanche was a permanent force member, while the other three were national servicemen.23 A Defence Headquarters statement claimed that the soldiers were captured while recovering an unserviceable vehicle in the operational area’. In fact, they had been captured 20 km north of the bridge over the Ntua River on the road to Quibala − a distance of some 750 km north of the Namibian/Angolan border.24

@Henry120 you can go ahead and retract your incorrect statements now

6 Likes

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by patches689: 10:39am On Dec 20, 2018
Geronimoe:

Oh! So Nigerian soldiers fought in the Bush war too? The South Africans try sha for them to be able to resist such amalgam of armies.

They didn’t

Henry120 is doing his usual thing and trying to deflect attention from problems at home by trying to start a fight

His mistake was in assuming that the SADF and SANDF does not keep detailed records of who was captured where, when and by whom.

1 Like

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Nobody: 10:42am On Dec 20, 2018
patches689:

They didn’t

Henry120 is doing his usual thing and trying to deflect attention from problems at home by trying to start a fight

His mistake was in assuming that the SADF and SANDF does not keep detailed records of who was captured where, when and by whom.
You're such a rambling buffoon.

I should take-down a historical image because it hurts your feelings? undecided undecided undecided undecided

Are you ok in the head?

I don't deflect anything in Nigeria. Look at my previous comments.

This is my last comment to you.
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by patches689: 10:46am On Dec 20, 2018
Henry240:

You're such a rambling buffoon.

I should take-down a historical image because it hurts your feelings? undecided undecided undecided undecided

Are you ok in the head?

I don't deflect anything in Nigeria. Look at my previous comments.

This is my last comment to you.

I don’t care about the picture

I care about you incorrectly saying Nigeria was active in the war and incorrectly saying you captured South African POWs

I have posted a historical source, from an academic paper to back it up.

You made a mistake, I understand, it happens, but now that I have corrected you, and by not fixing it, the mistake becomes a lie.

Are you a liar? No? Then fix your post

6 Likes

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by patches689: 10:54am On Dec 20, 2018
Poor henry240

Nigeria gets whooped at home, so he has to steal Angolan achievements to make himself feel better

Imagine being this sad

5 Likes

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by joshingjosh(m): 11:04am On Dec 20, 2018
Henry240:
Nigerian army

Looks more like Navy SBS...take a close look at the logo on his arm

1 Like

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by joshingjosh(m): 11:08am On Dec 20, 2018
joshingjosh:

Looks more like Navy SBS...take a close look at the logo on his arm

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by ignant: 11:24am On Dec 20, 2018
The Nigerian Air Force ran direct operations in the Bush War. They flew weapons to the rebels in the Bush War and provided interdictions.

The Nigerian government also provided large funding and other logistics.

I must not fail to mention the great role played by Cuba. They contributed to the resistance of Southern African countries against the criminality of apartheid South Africa.

3 Likes

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by patches689: 12:56pm On Dec 20, 2018
ignant:
The Nigerian Air Force ran direct operations in the Bush War. They flew weapons to the rebels in the Bush War and provided interdictions.

I must not fail to mention the great role played by Cuba. They contributed to the resistance of Southern African countries against the criminality of apartheid South Africa.

I don’t know about the supply flights and support, but they certainly didn’t provide interdictions
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Nobody: 2:13pm On Dec 20, 2018
ignant:

Until that photo, i didn't know the Nigerian army operated in Angola.

I was only aware of the Air Force.

I can't remember the source, but i think Nigerian MIG-17s were deployed in Angola.

"The Nigerian Air Force have a long and proud history of operational deployment outside Nigeria dating back to the 1970s when Nigerian MiG 17 pilots and engineers were deployed to Angola by the regime of General Murtala Muhammed following the detailing/eventual transfer of a squadron of MiG 17s and the gift of US$20 million to the fledgling MPLA government of Dr Agostinho Neto, in January 1976. This followed swiftly on the heels of the delivery of MiG 21MF jets to the NAF in December 1975.

Thereafter, NAF C130 Hercules pilots during the 1970s and 1980s flew supply missions in support of liberation movements in Southern Africa, delivering materiel to Tanzania, Zambia and Mozambique for onward distribution to African nationalist guerrillas in Namibia, South Africa and Rhodesia.".

https://www.google.com/amp/s/beegeagle./2012/09/10/blog-exclusive-nigerian-air-force-aircraft-observed-in-frenzied-activity-deployment-for-combat-operations-in-mali-imminent/amp

1 Like

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by ssaengine: 2:58pm On Dec 20, 2018
People must rather focus on why their army constantly runs away and gets overrun, as opposed to posting fake news. Even after being corrected & told where, when and by whom these men were captured, you continue. Shame.

7 Likes

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Nobody: 3:31pm On Dec 20, 2018
ssaengine:
People must rather focus on why their army constantly runs away and gets overrun, as opposed to posting fake news. Even after being corrected & told where, when and by whom these men were captured, you continue. Shame.
Quit being a coward.

African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread

Apartheid report over pictorial evidence of captured South-African soldiers in Lagos, Nigeria.

You're pretty much very dull!

5 Likes

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by patches689: 3:43pm On Dec 20, 2018
Henry240:

Quit being a coward.

African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread

Apartheid report over pictorial evidence of captured South-African soldiers in Lagos, Nigeria.

You're pretty much very dull!

They were also shown in Ethiopia

Do we now say Ethiopia had soldiers in Angola? Do we say Ethiopia captured South African soldiers?

Nigeria made no meaningful ground contribution to the war and South African soldiers never faced Nigerian soldiers in battle (which is a good thing, for you)

Sad little liar.

3 Likes

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by patches689: 3:45pm On Dec 20, 2018
Henry240:

Until that photo, i didn't know the Nigerian army operated in Angola.

I was only aware of the Air Force.

I can't remember the source, but i think Nigerian MIG-17s were deployed in Angola.

"The Nigerian Air Force have a long and proud history of operational deployment outside Nigeria dating back to the 1970s when Nigerian MiG 17 pilots and engineers were deployed to Angola by the regime of General Murtala Muhammed following the detailing/eventual transfer of a squadron of MiG 17s and the gift of US$20 million to the fledgling MPLA government of Dr Agostinho Neto, in January 1976. This followed swiftly on the heels of the delivery of MiG 21MF jets to the NAF in December 1975.

Thereafter, NAF C130 Hercules pilots during the 1970s and 1980s flew supply missions in support of liberation movements in Southern Africa, delivering materiel to Tanzania, Zambia and Mozambique for onward distribution to African nationalist guerrillas in Namibia, South Africa and Rhodesia.".

https://www.google.com/amp/s/beegeagle./2012/09/10/blog-exclusive-nigerian-air-force-aircraft-observed-in-frenzied-activity-deployment-for-combat-operations-in-mali-imminent/amp

Your source is literally a blog.

The absolute state of herny120 right now. Trying to invent glory in the history books to cover the shame of today.

You’re better than this Henry

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) ... (1796) (1797) (1798) (1799) (1800) (1801) (1802) ... (2849) (Reply)

Kenya Is Ahead of Nigeria In All Aspect (Facts Don't Lie)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 68
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.