Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,166,715 members, 7,865,817 topics. Date: Thursday, 20 June 2024 at 06:42 AM

African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread - Foreign Affairs (287) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread (6038064 Views)

African Militaries Strictly Discussions Thread. / African Militaries - Discussed And Dissected / What Countries Have The Weakest Militaries In Africa? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (284) (285) (286) (287) (288) (289) (290) ... (2854) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Nobody: 3:38pm On Dec 03, 2015

1 Like

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by bidexiii: 3:57pm On Dec 03, 2015
agaugust:
NAF chief in Pakistan today, meets PAF.....surely will talk about the JF-17 Thunder.

I pray these deal comes to live in time. smiley
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by gottfried21(m): 5:20pm On Dec 03, 2015
SA Army Pathfinders guarding a Rooivalk attack Helicopter in Goma DRC

5 Likes

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Nobody: 6:56pm On Dec 03, 2015
Namibia

1 Like

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Nobody: 9:17pm On Dec 03, 2015
Henry240:

I do agree with most of what you said. Would politics make it happen?".......... I seriously doubt this.

Was looking at INS kochi ( India's largest home built ship) and i was wondering when an African country would be able to build and deliver such size of a ship for our individual Navies.
Well SAS Drakensberg weighs about 5000 tons more than INS Kochi....Yes it isn't a destroyer but i'm positive South Africa has the capability to build a LHA for project millennium instead of buying a ship like the Mistral class for example.
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Nobody: 11:03pm On Dec 03, 2015

1 Like

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by lionel4power(m): 11:59pm On Dec 03, 2015
jln115:

We operate in different geopolitical spheres, so wouldn't really call Nigeria our rival! But obviously being the 2 of most influential/Powerful countries in Africa there would be some sort of competition between our Countries. Our Government has made it clear that we want to play a regional role, thus Nigeria from Geopolitical standpoint will definitely not be our rival.

Also with Buhari as president i see much better relations between our Governments...lets be honest the PDP and ANC never really got along!!

Our SADC neighbours also don't have the financial means to purchase/produce a sufficient amount of Rooivalk to restart the production line.

Honestly Nigeria is the perfect partner, they are in desperate need of Gunships(so are we), they have the Financial resources to tackle such a project and we also open up a whole new market in North and West Africa(Although slightly limited).
the fact that SA doesnt have the rooivalk in sufficient number for internal use is a negating fact.
My point is, if you dont have enough of something yourself, you wont expect anybody to take you serious. If SA had acquired lets say about 40 units of the rooivalk then other countries will be interested. But to be honest you bought only 12 unit, and the one you lost wasnt even replaced. It has killed the publicity aspect of the whole thing.
I dont want to sound pessimistic or condesending but NOBODY is buying the roolvalk anytime soon.
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by patches689: 3:44am On Dec 04, 2015
lionel4power:
the fact that SA doesnt have the rooivalk in sufficient number for internal use is a negating fact.
My point is, if you dont have enough of something yourself, you wont expect anybody to take you serious. If SA had acquired lets say about 40 units of the rooivalk then other countries will be interested. But to be honest you bought only 12 unit, and the one you lost wasnt even replaced. It has killed the publicity aspect of the whole thing.
I dont want to sound pessimistic or condesending but NOBODY is buying the roolvalk anytime soon.

I doubt the generals who buy equipment care much about publicity

Its all about who can get the best equipment for the best price

Frankly, the Rooivalk was only really killed by the Asian Financial Crisis

And a platform that is sold no strings attached (unlike the apache or eurocopter) and is cheaper than the chinese rival will have an exellent niche to full

Not to mention that brics will play a big role in the deal
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Nobody: 5:57am On Dec 04, 2015
lionel4power:
Us acquiring only 12 had nothing to do with its capabilities, we simply couldn't afford to buy more considering at $40 mil per unit, its more expensive than an Apache at the time.

For all intensive proposes the Rooivalk basically out classes all its competitors, it can fly further, higher,faster, carry more weight ect ect

The reason it lost out in Turkey, was 1. It wasn't in service yet, and thus it hadn't proven it self yet and 2. Turkey being a NATO country and all and the Rooivalk using a basically a Eurocopter engine which was in direct competition with the Rooivalk , France announced it won't support a bid where Turkey acquired Rooivalk instead of its fellow NATO countries product.

The Rooivalk has all but proved itself after the past year or so, so much that Denel has seriously considered restarting production following alot of international attention. Denel apparently already has 2 buyers lined up, and it seems Hungry is also interested in the Rooivalk.
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Nobody: 6:59am On Dec 04, 2015
MONUSCO

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Nobody: 7:04am On Dec 04, 2015
MONUSCO.

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Nobody: 7:08am On Dec 04, 2015
MONUSCO..

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Nobody: 7:16am On Dec 04, 2015
UNAMID

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Nobody: 7:17am On Dec 04, 2015
UNAMID.

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Nobody: 7:29am On Dec 04, 2015
UNAMID...

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Nobody: 7:49am On Dec 04, 2015
UNMISS

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Nobody: 7:57am On Dec 04, 2015
MINUSMA

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by lionel4power(m): 8:19am On Dec 04, 2015
jln115:

Us acquiring only 12 had nothing to do with its capabilities, we simply couldn't afford to buy more considering at $40 mil per unit, its more expensive than an Apache at the time.

For all intensive proposes the Rooivalk basically out classes all its competitors, it can fly further, higher,faster, carry more weight ect ect

The reason it lost out in Turkey, was 1. It wasn't in service yet, and thus it hadn't proven it self yet and 2. Turkey being a NATO country and all and the Rooivalk using a basically a Eurocopter engine which was in direct competition with the Rooivalk , France announced it won't support a bid where Turkey acquired Rooivalk instead of its fellow NATO countries product.

The Rooivalk has all but proved itself after the past year or so, so much that Denel has seriously considered restarting production following alot of international attention. Denel apparently already has 2 buyers lined up, and it seems Hungry is also interested in the Rooivalk.
the base capability/perfomance of Attack Hellicopters SOMETIMES doesnt really matter that much, if you look at contemporary AHs from the far east to the far west you'll notice that perfomance are closely matched.ceilings, range, speed, maneovebility e.t.c doesnt really count. What stands out is usually the whistles and bells. I.e sensors, avionics, comms et al or ruggedity.
Look at the much revered MI-24 HIND, why did it get more customer than other helicopters with better performance, even though it has inferior performance and sensors?
Simple. Its Russian and its built to last. It will outlive the buyers themselves. Thats a strong selling point.
Look at the Apache, it has all the whistles and bells, you are guarranteed of getting support for it. Thats its selling point.
Look at the Tiger AH, its versatility is its selling point. It can perform air-to-ground, air-to-air or just RECON EFFECTIVELY without much hassle.
The T-129 ATAK is known for its digital nature and easy interaction/inter-operability with other unrelated weapons platforms. Thats its selling point.
Now it begs the question, what is the selling point of the rooivaik? Yes it has the performance, whistle and bells.
But why would i want to buy it over the MI-24 or the T-129 or the APACHE? .
I might consider if there is TOT.
By the way when you parade the rooivalk as a direct descendant of the puma what do you expect? People picture the puma as a huge lumbering beast. Its a negative publicity.
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Nobody: 9:23am On Dec 04, 2015
lionel4power:
the base capability/perfomance of Attack Hellicopters SOMETIMES doesnt really matter that much, if you look at contemporary AHs from the far east to the far west you'll notice that perfomance are closely matched.ceilings, range, speed, maneovebility e.t.c doesnt really count. What stands out is usually the whistles and bells. I.e sensors, avionics, comms et al or ruggedity.
Look at the much revered MI-24 HIND, why did it get more customer than other helicopters with better performance, even though it has inferior performance and sensors?
Simple. Its Russian and its built to last. It will outlive the buyers themselves. Thats a strong selling point.
Look at the Apache, it has all the whistles and bells, you are guarranteed of getting support for it. Thats its selling point.
Look at the Tiger AH, its versatility is its selling point. It can perform air-to-ground, air-to-air or just RECON EFFECTIVELY without much hassle.
The T-129 ATAK is known for its digital nature and easy interaction/inter-operability with other unrelated weapons platforms. Thats its selling point.
Now it begs the question, what is the selling point of the rooivaik? Yes it has the performance, whistle and bells.
But why would i want to buy it over the MI-24 or the T-129 or the APACHE? .
I might consider if there is TOT.
By the way when you parade the rooivalk as a direct descendant of the puma what do you expect? People picture the puma as a huge lumbering beast. Its a negative publicity.
We all know why the Mi24 sells!!! It's cheap, as simple as that and they last as you said!!

If your not part of NATO you can pretty much guarantee your getting the bear minimum in terms of capability with regards to the Apache.

Agree Tiger is a great AH, but what does it have that the Rooivalk doesn't have? Rooivalk can carry 16 makopa ATGM and 4 Air to Air missile making it just as versatile as the Tiger, also the Rooivalk mk2 would be substantially cheaper than the Tiger.

The T129 is a light attack helo, not really in the same class as the Rooivalk, its like comparing an opv to a destroyer.

The Rooivalk is also sold with no strings attached, were Eurocopter and Boeing for example disallow the integration of other weapon systems on to their product, with the Rooivalk your free to integrate any weapon you like.

As for avionics, comms and sensors, I guarantee you that the current mk1f fleet is right up their in terms of software, the mk2 will just take it to another level.

Also being derived from the puma/ oryx in our case is actually a good thing, we have an accredited aerospatiale maintenance and component manufacture, which means we fully maintain our oryx fleet without needing to import any parts, thus by default the same applies to our Rooivalk.

And the puma BTW is extremely nibble and fast or its size, also countries already operating the puma would't find it much more cost effective and easier to maintain a Rooivalk fleet, than say a T129 fleet.
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by rugged7(m): 10:17am On Dec 04, 2015
DEFENCE HQ NIGERIA ‏
Troops are continuing their advance towards the main camp of the BH sect in Sambisa Forest
The troops also discovered a tunnel the sect uses as hideout from military air strikes

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by rugged7(m): 10:19am On Dec 04, 2015
Nigeria army engages boko haram in sambisa base camps

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Nobody: 10:35am On Dec 04, 2015
Police training camp in Garissa - I think its high time the police ditched the military jacket for something more original, i've seen so many foreign papers refer to the police as military, This camo doesn't even match the terrain

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Nobody: 12:53pm On Dec 04, 2015
AMISOM in somalia

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Nobody: 1:16pm On Dec 04, 2015
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Nobody: 2:13pm On Dec 04, 2015
denisfidha:
Police training camp in Garissa - I think its high time the police ditched the military jacket for something more original, i've seen so many foreign papers refer to the police as military, This camo doesn't even match the terrain
the camo may not suit in the dry season but when it rains they are suitable,also the cost and that's the reason you see israel army dont have camo due to cost saving.that camo does confuse the foe,is it the army or police they are engaging
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Nobody: 3:03pm On Dec 04, 2015
rugged7:
DEFENCE HQ NIGERIA ‏
Troops are continuing their advance towards the main camp of the BH sect in Sambisa Forest
The troops also discovered a tunnel the sect uses as hideout from military air strikes

Good hunting to the men of the NA. What's with the brightly-coloured vest on the mortarman?
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Nobody: 4:10pm On Dec 04, 2015
frumentius:

Good hunting to the men of the NA. What's with the brightly-coloured vest on the mortarman?

Old Nigerian Army stock. Since local production doesn't usually meet demand, the Military and ONSA are forced to import from multiple sources.
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Nobody: 4:16pm On Dec 04, 2015
#Nigeria COIN

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Patchesagain: 4:26pm On Dec 04, 2015
so the stratergy is "Burn everything"?

not cussing... worked for the Brits in the Boer war and Malaya Crisis
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by gottfried21(m): 4:32pm On Dec 04, 2015
SA Army in DRC

3 Likes

(1) (2) (3) ... (284) (285) (286) (287) (288) (289) (290) ... (2854) (Reply)

Kenya Is Ahead of Nigeria In All Aspect (Facts Don't Lie)

Viewing this topic: 2 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 53
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.