Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,167,027 members, 7,866,879 topics. Date: Friday, 21 June 2024 at 07:27 AM

African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread - Foreign Affairs (910) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread (6039722 Views)

African Militaries Strictly Discussions Thread. / African Militaries - Discussed And Dissected / What Countries Have The Weakest Militaries In Africa? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (907) (908) (909) (910) (911) (912) (913) ... (2855) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Nobody: 6:16pm On Jan 25, 2017
jakeporeshenko:

If they really have the requirement and will power they can summon courage and run a second procurement program.

You and I know that's very, very, I mean very, very, very unlikely. The odds of that happening is so small it's pitiable. grin grin

Here I was thinking that they would get surplus F-16s or go for the JF-17.

I guess this was why, in a why, I'm glad our deal to get Tucanos hasnt gone through. If we had gotten the Tucanos, in addition to the 12 MI-35m helicopters and 6 MI-17 helicopters, as well as 10 Super Tucanos, do you believe that we would go for the JF-17 with all these purchases. Highly doubtful.
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by thedarksider: 6:25pm On Jan 25, 2017
jakeporeshenko:
ShieldAfrica 2017 Security & Defence Exhibition Abidjan Côte d'Ivoire Show Daily News Video TV Day 1

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xw6Mcup50fA

the french are extremly active now in west africa..

it seems they are very scared to loose their grip over francophon africa...

1 Like

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Nobody: 6:27pm On Jan 25, 2017
Henry240:

Nope, neither. I mean this.

Isn't that one of the variants of the Denel RG-31, specially customised for the UAE? I know they bought 76 of them.
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Nobody: 6:32pm On Jan 25, 2017
ViceAdmiral:
Namibian Marine presenting to dignitaries including the Brazilian Marine Commandant,the CDF and the chief of JOPS behind him

@Gottfried this Marine is a future Chief of Defencegrin, He's a commander by rank,a qualified Commando Operator and qualified diver

Cousins, it seems your structures mirror ours more and more cool.

1 Like

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Nobody: 6:32pm On Jan 25, 2017
frumentius:

Isn't that one of the variants of the Denel RG-31, specially customised for the UAE? I know they bought 76 of them.

That's what i'm here to find out. It doesn't look like an RG-31 though. It looks French to me.
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Nobody: 6:36pm On Jan 25, 2017
As I was saying before the dastardly spambot so rudely interrupted me...

So, to much fanfare the Iranians announced that a frigate and a replenishment ship would go on an anti-piracy patrol off Somalia in the Indian Ocean. And to showcase the global reach of their navy, upon conclusion of their patrol, the ships would round the Cape of Good Hope on to the Atlantic, then the Mediterranean on their way home. The replenishment ship subsequently broke down in Durban, and has spent weeks there being repaired. Now they are sailing back up the Indian Ocean, suitably chastened.
And these guys think they can take on Israel!

3 Likes

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Nobody: 6:39pm On Jan 25, 2017
Sat-Com Namibia's flagship products

Afracal
Leopard
Cheetah

2 Likes

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Nobody: 6:40pm On Jan 25, 2017
Henry240:

Thanks, I asked because I spotted a French vehicle in the Shield Africa video, which I also spotted at some Defence exhibition held in Abuja. I wanted to know if the Abuja Defence exhibition was also a shield Africa event.
This defense expo ?

1 Like

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Nobody: 6:52pm On Jan 25, 2017
Henry240:

Nope, neither. I mean this.
those are Oshkosh M-ATV MRAP with slat armour
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Nobody: 6:56pm On Jan 25, 2017
jakeporeshenko:

This defense expo ?

Exactly, this one. Do you know the name? You can see the setting is similar to the one currently holding in the Ivory Coast.
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Nobody: 6:57pm On Jan 25, 2017
BPST(EA) members admiring the accuracy of kenyan soldiers

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Nobody: 6:58pm On Jan 25, 2017
Henry240:

That's what i'm here to find out. It doesn't look like an RG-31 though. It looks French to me.

Not the RG-31. Here's a pic of their RG-31 with the vehicle in question 3rd from the front.

I see africaken has called it correctly; it is the Oshkosh. They've changed the grille.

1 Like

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Nobody: 6:58pm On Jan 25, 2017
frumentius:
As I was saying before the dastardly spambot so rudely interrupted me...
n Israel!

Huge embarrassment for Iran.

2 Likes

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Nobody: 7:02pm On Jan 25, 2017
frumentius:

Not the RG-31. Here's a pic of their RG-31 with the vehicle in question 3rd from the front.

I see africaken has called it correctly; it is the Oshkosh. They've changed the grille.

It looks so different from the widely popular Oshkosh, e.g, different from the Oshkosh used by Saudi-Arabia in the same conflict.
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by giles14(m): 7:12pm On Jan 25, 2017
Henry240:

Huge embarrassment for Iran.
I see no embarrassment there if the American DDG 1000, British type 45 destroyer,can break down who the hell is iran

1 Like

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Nobody: 7:33pm On Jan 25, 2017
giles14:
I see no embarrassment there if the American DDG 1000, British type 45 destroyer,can break down who the hell is iran

It's nevertheless an embarrassment, but you have made a very good argument. It was an embarrassment for the Americans and British also.
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Nobody: 7:36pm On Jan 25, 2017
giles14:

Here's how Jane's reported on the embarrassment:
Iranian navy flotilla stuck in South Africa

The Islamic Republic of Iran Navy (IRIN) did much to publicise the voyage of its 44th Flotilla, which consists of the frigate Alvand and the supply ship Bushehr, as an example of its ability to project power into distant waters.
The use of a floating dock suggests Bushehr had sustained significant damage to its rudder, propellers, drive shafts, or hull, and the frigate's presence indicated that it could not make it back to Iran on its own.

If one can't even circumnavigate Africa, one really has no business blustering about the global reach of one's navy. Much less talk of confronting Israel.
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Nobody: 8:29pm On Jan 25, 2017
ECOWAS troops in Gambia

3 Likes

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Nobody: 8:32pm On Jan 25, 2017
BREAKING NEWS

ECOWAS troops to stay in Gambia for 6 months.

http://www.vanguardngr.com/2017/01/ecowas-troops-stay-gambia-6-months/

1 Like

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Nobody: 8:42pm On Jan 25, 2017
22 Squadron of the SAAF has performed superbly so far in the current fire season down in the Cape. Some highlights:

1) flown 94 fire-fighting hours in 11 days;
2) dropped 1,389 buckets of water from the 2.5 ton Bambi Buckets from a pair of Oryx;
3) this amounts to 2,8 million litres of water;
4) the air crews alternated 6-hour shifts, whilst fitting in their day-to-day currency and training with the squadron still on its normal 24/7 standby service;
5) the ground crews shortened their maintenance cycle from a few days to 24 hours, whilst providing day-long fuel bowser services on site;
6) all this whilst 12 members of the squadron are embarked aboard SAS Amatola with a Super Lynx heli on a 3-month voyage to Europe, and a crew currently in the DRC with the FIB.

All that mountain training is really paying off.

3 Likes

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Odunayaw(m): 10:40pm On Jan 25, 2017
jakeporeshenko:

This defense expo ?
that vehicle behind is nexter Titus if memory serves me well, the one Proforce has in their brochure
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Nobody: 11:28pm On Jan 25, 2017
Odunayaw:
that vehicle behind is nexter Titus if memory serves me well, the one Proforce has in their brochure
What was the whole gathering about though ? Any clue ? And any follow up news ?
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Nobody: 11:32pm On Jan 25, 2017
Henry240:

Exactly, this one. Do you know the name? You can see the setting is similar to the one currently holding in the Ivory Coast.
I actually have no idea the whole thing happened so quickly and there's only this one picture, low key wanted to ask on the thread a few days back but I forgot.
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Nobody: 11:33pm On Jan 25, 2017
Senegalese soldiers

2 Likes

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Nobody: 11:55pm On Jan 25, 2017
jakeporeshenko:
I actually have no idea the whole thing happened so quickly and there's only this one picture, low key wanted to ask on the thread a few days back but I forgot.

I did some digging, and this is what I found out. It was a huge exhibition, Proforce exhibited, DICON exhibited bulletproof vests, DCD the South African MRAP manufacturer also exhibited, the French were also here, Nexter and some other French companies, including the French military etc etc.

The Army, Air Force and Navy were also present. So was the permanent secretary ministry of defence.

See photos.

2 Likes

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Nobody: 11:57pm On Jan 25, 2017
You can just make out the banner of DCD in the background. So it's safe to assume that perhaps Paramount group also exhibited.

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Nobody: 12:00am On Jan 26, 2017
In this photo, you can see Reutech in the background, also from South Africa did exhibit. Probably as many as 7 companies from South Africa.

I can spot the banners of 5 different companies from this photo.

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Nobody: 12:16am On Jan 26, 2017
Inkas the Canadian armoured vehicle manufacturer and other smaller Nigerian companies.

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Nobody: 12:22am On Jan 26, 2017
Henry240:

I did some digging, and this is what I found out. It was a huge exhibition, Proforce exhibited, DICON exhibited bulletproof vests, DCD the South African MRAP manufacturer also exhibited, the French were also here, Nexter and some other French companies, including the French military etc etc.

The Army, Air Force and Navy were also present. So was the permanent secretary ministry of defence.

See photos.
I spot the present CNS and CAS so this event took place last year ? Why was t so under the radar and lowkey. I wonder what kind of deals were inked.
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Nobody: 12:24am On Jan 26, 2017
Senegal soldiers.

"Gambian soldiers are meanwhile being disarmed because of a concern that rogue elements,still loyal to Jammeh,could cause trouble"

1 Like

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Nobody: 12:41am On Jan 26, 2017
jakeporeshenko:

I spot the present CNS and CAS so this event took place last year ? Why was t so under the radar and lowkey. I wonder what kind of deals were inked.

It's hard to say, but from the available photos it seems to have been quiet a large show. The last publicized show was the armoured vehicle West Africa exhibition. That was 2015.

I guess we'll have to spot and see.
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Odunayaw(m): 12:45am On Jan 26, 2017
jakeporeshenko:

What was the whole gathering about though ? Any clue ? And any follow up news ?
nisec expo 2016
dz babas do things under d radar pass ogbanje

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) ... (907) (908) (909) (910) (911) (912) (913) ... (2855) (Reply)

Kenya Is Ahead of Nigeria In All Aspect (Facts Don't Lie)

Viewing this topic: 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 43
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.