Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,756 members, 7,817,090 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 04:38 AM

Razor Bumps! - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Razor Bumps! (5768 Views)

Bumps On The Neck @ The Back Of The Head (picture) / Hard Curly Hair And Shaving Bumps! Any Cure? / Razor Bumps Or Ingrown Hairs (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Razor Bumps! by AKO1(m): 9:32pm On May 31, 2008
Hello,
       I have a young male friend who has started to grow facial hair around his chin i.e. a beard. However this 'beard' is turning out as a sore sight because of razor bumps.

I need your help for my friend. I'll describe his shaving process as he described it to me and if there's anything he should/should not be doing, please say so. He shaves with a manual razor; the ones you have to replace into a permanent casing. He replaces the razor every four days. It is as follows:

-Rinses blade and casing in warm dilute antiseptic solution (water + a drop of dettol)
-Rinses face with same solution
-Rubs shaving cream on to face (intensa)
-Waits for about 3 mins and shaves, light strokes downwards only
-Rinses face with warm water
-Applies intensa after shave lotion after bath.

Please, what is my friend doing/not doing? Thanks.
Re: Razor Bumps! by funkybaby(f): 9:57pm On May 31, 2008
He replaces the razor after four days? That is what he is doing wrong.

Four days is more than enough time for germs, bacteria, fungi and the whole lot to have accumulated on the razor.

Tell your friend to use a NEW stainless steel razor FOR EACH shave . He should dispose the razor as soon as he is done shaving with it.

He should also apply mild antiseptic using cotton wool (i recommend TCP) after he shaves.
Re: Razor Bumps! by AKO1(m): 10:02pm On May 31, 2008
funkybaby:

He replaces the razor after four days? That is what he is doing wrong.

Four days is more than enough time for germs, bacteria, fungi and the whole lot to have accumulated on the razor.

Tell your friend to use a NEW stainless steel razor FOR EACH shave . He should dispose the razor as soon as he is done shaving with it.

He should also apply mild antiseptic using cotton wool (i recommend TCP) after he shaves.

Thanks a lot, I'll get back to him. I forgot to add that he cleans with methylated spirit after each shave.
Re: Razor Bumps! by MethodMan3(m): 9:36pm On Jun 13, 2008
Why cant your friend just use sandpaper?! grin
Re: Razor Bumps! by Orimili(m): 11:32pm On Jun 13, 2008
It's not just the razor. It is a combination of both his facial hair and the type of razor you are using. I will assume that he has coarse facial hair. When you shave your facial hair with a cheap razor (or one of those 2-3+ razor jobs), you are sharpening the hairs as you cut the short. Eventually the hair will grow back, but as facial hair is usually curly, the end of the hair, now sharp, grows back into the skin, irritating it greatly, causing bumps to appear. I would suggest either using either a single bladed razor, an electric razor, or using some sort of delapitory cream as an alternate to shaving.
Re: Razor Bumps! by SirJohn(m): 9:19pm On Jun 16, 2008
Razor bumps a.k.a pseudofolliculitis barbaeare is only common to men with coarse or curly hair. I used to have the same problem until I carried out some research on the subject. I think your friend should first and formost understand the cause, that way, control will be easy. note that I said 'control' thats because there is no permanent solution to the problem.
Now heres how it works: After a hair has been shaved (usually using a razor cos razors cut too close to the skin), it begins to grow back. Curly hair tends to curl into the skin instead of straight out the follicle, leading to an inflammation reaction (bumps). affected areas begin to itch making you scratch, that forces the hair deeper into the skin making it worse. the skin treats the ingrown hair as foreign body and hence reactions.
TIPS:
- Do not use multiple blade razors for clean shave, they cut too close to the skin.
- You can start trimming your beard instead of shaving. that'll help.
- Shaving every other day, rather than daily, will improve pseudo-folliculitis barbae
- water soften the beard first with a hot, wet washcloth for five minutes before shaving
- Existing razor bumps can often be treated by removal of the ingrown hair.

I hope this helps!!!
Re: Razor Bumps! by MethodMan3(m): 7:28pm On Jun 17, 2008
how una no go get razor bumps?!

When una dey buy 5NAIRA razor blade and shaver!

Invest properly on grooming kits and see the difference!
Re: Razor Bumps! by Nobody: 4:01am On Jun 18, 2008
lmao!!!

@post
Just tell NLers you need help. . .dnt be ashamed!
Re: Razor Bumps! by Mustay(m): 9:33am On Jun 18, 2008
Method-Man:

how una no go get razor bumps?!

When una dey buy 5NAIRA razor blade and shaver!

Invest properly on grooming kits and see the difference!

why don't u tell him the type of kits to use?
Re: Razor Bumps! by 4Him1(m): 1:57pm On Jun 18, 2008
stop using a razor. get an electric shaver.
Re: Razor Bumps! by MethodMan3(m): 2:42pm On Jun 18, 2008
4 Him:

stop using a razor. get an electric shaver.

Thank you

When a modern man cant modernise himself but resort to using archaic methods,

then he deserves whatever he gets!
Re: Razor Bumps! by cargoship: 7:32pm On Jun 19, 2008
Try TEND SKIN! This product works wonders. Look it up online. It's one of the best products for men of color. replay to this post if you are interested in getting a bottle or two.
Re: Razor Bumps! by HC: 12:53pm On Jun 20, 2008
Hey Cargoship, how can i get the product and how much does it cost?
Re: Razor Bumps! by cargoship: 4:14pm On Jun 20, 2008
it cost $2340n per 4oz bottle. or $20usd. plus shipping
Re: Razor Bumps! by igiveuhope: 4:58pm On Jun 20, 2008
get my book it will teach you how to cure your brother and many others.
Re: Razor Bumps! by Frando29(m): 9:42pm On Jun 20, 2008
I used to have terrible bumps when I was using razor blade, but I dropped it and bought an electric clipper which I am using till date. I have very close and smooth shave now without bumps. I think you should drop all the razor blades and buy an electric clipper. How many dudes use razor blade these days anyway?
Re: Razor Bumps! by AKO1(m): 11:16pm On Jun 20, 2008
Thank you all. I will get back to him and keep you updated.

4Her, you cannot prove your claim so there is no point making it. It is actually foolish to make an allegation you cannot back up with facts. undecided

I dont owe you the truth.
Re: Razor Bumps! by MyAfriplac: 1:29am On Jun 21, 2008
For men of color with ingrown hair issues a razorless beard remover or depilatory is the best bet. the most popular one out there is Magic not the powder but the cream

www.Myafriplace.com

(1) (Reply)

Simple Test For Detecting Vagina Looseness. / 120,000 Enroll For Lagos Health Insurance Scheme / Fibroid Stem Cell Treatment With STC30

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 20
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.