Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,741 members, 7,817,047 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 12:55 AM

Gay Teacher Fired By Catholic School For Wedding Photos - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Gay Teacher Fired By Catholic School For Wedding Photos (2469 Views)

Guru Maharaj-Ji At Ooni Of Ife’s Wedding (Photos) / The False And Heretic Apocraphal Books Added To The Bible By Catholic Church. / Same Sex Marriage: Catholic High School Teacher Fired For Being Gay! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Gay Teacher Fired By Catholic School For Wedding Photos by Teejay13(m): 5:12am On Aug 07, 2013
School officials knew he was gay, but marriage was a bridge too far

Christopher Persky, left, and Ken Bencomo, celebrate as they get married in San Bernadino, CA • Inland Valley Daily Bulletin
Ken Bencomo was Head of the English Department at St. Lucy's Priory High School in Glendora, CA, where he'd taught for nearly 17 years. He was fired last month after a local paper published photos of him marrying his gay partner of 10 years.

School officials had known for the past 10 years that Bencomo was gay and had been introduced to his partner Christopher Persky at staff events. However, the school said that the marriage crossed a line: "The reason given was that the marriage occurred and the school's position was that it violated church teachings," said Bencomo's lawyer Patrick McGarrigle.

Persky told the Inland Valley Daily Bulletin, which published the photos, that "we're just really excited about having the same rights as our friends and family." He also told of how he had not been allowed to visit Bencomo after surgery a few years earlier because he wasn't "family."

An online petition asking the school to "Give Ken Bencomo his job back" has over 16,000 signatures.

Other Catholic schools who've recently fired teachers for their sexuality or for being pregnant out of wedlock claimed that the teachers breached the terms of their contract. However the school doesn't seem to be making that claim in Bencomo's case.

http://www.latimes.com/news/local/la-me-0803-gay-teacher-20130803,0,4616149.story
Re: Gay Teacher Fired By Catholic School For Wedding Photos by bigt2(m): 5:20am On Aug 07, 2013
Good for him!
Re: Gay Teacher Fired By Catholic School For Wedding Photos by Nobody: 5:24am On Aug 07, 2013
where is d photo
Re: Gay Teacher Fired By Catholic School For Wedding Photos by OkikiOluwa1(m): 6:30am On Aug 07, 2013
Ok.
Re: Gay Teacher Fired By Catholic School For Wedding Photos by dplomaticVal: 6:43am On Aug 07, 2013
His sack ws justifiable, unarguable and well deservd!. He ws employd to wrk in a seminary not gay schl
Re: Gay Teacher Fired By Catholic School For Wedding Photos by kevoh(m): 7:04am On Aug 07, 2013
Yungwizzzy: where is d photo

In nairaland's waste bin angry !
Re: Gay Teacher Fired By Catholic School For Wedding Photos by DJDOLA(m): 10:28am On Aug 07, 2013
Yes I sack him
Re: Gay Teacher Fired By Catholic School For Wedding Photos by Mutaino7(m): 12:26pm On Aug 07, 2013
hmmn.
Re: Gay Teacher Fired By Catholic School For Wedding Photos by alphaconde(m): 12:27pm On Aug 07, 2013
Becus the pope was gentle on u guys, u wanna take him for granted. Nice move.
Re: Gay Teacher Fired By Catholic School For Wedding Photos by Nobody: 12:28pm On Aug 07, 2013
Serves him right even a child knows the catholic stand on gay marriage undecided
Re: Gay Teacher Fired By Catholic School For Wedding Photos by Paschal007: 12:30pm On Aug 07, 2013
that's discrimination of some sort I think. he should sue the school if he wants.
Re: Gay Teacher Fired By Catholic School For Wedding Photos by Nobody: 12:30pm On Aug 07, 2013
shocked :oJust peeping shocked
Re: Gay Teacher Fired By Catholic School For Wedding Photos by Nobody: 12:31pm On Aug 07, 2013
Good 4 him.... Hey everyone I am Homophobic grin
Re: Gay Teacher Fired By Catholic School For Wedding Photos by mazaje(m): 12:32pm On Aug 07, 2013
Every day one gay tale or the other on nairaland. . .Gay this, gay that. . .Its as if the whole world is becoming gay. . .Nairaland make wuna rest with this wuna gay ,gay matter. . .
Re: Gay Teacher Fired By Catholic School For Wedding Photos by dahdah: 12:32pm On Aug 07, 2013
ok
Re: Gay Teacher Fired By Catholic School For Wedding Photos by drstan(m): 12:32pm On Aug 07, 2013
Yea, that is goodsmiley
big-t:
Good for him!
.! First 2 quote d first comment
Re: Gay Teacher Fired By Catholic School For Wedding Photos by mazaje(m): 12:33pm On Aug 07, 2013
drstan: Yea, that is goodsmiley .! First 2 quote d first comment

First to quote your comment. . .
Re: Gay Teacher Fired By Catholic School For Wedding Photos by therealbabe(f): 12:33pm On Aug 07, 2013
they knew he was a gay b4, so were they not expecting the marriage? how can you not be expecting a dog to bark?
Re: Gay Teacher Fired By Catholic School For Wedding Photos by israel007: 12:34pm On Aug 07, 2013
Discrimination.

Fact that he's gay doesn't make you better thank he is. Who know what these people do behimd close doors

1 Like

Re: Gay Teacher Fired By Catholic School For Wedding Photos by Dygeasy(m): 1:04pm On Aug 07, 2013
Yungwizzzy: where is d photo
You Don't Wanna See A Gay Wedding Photo Believe Me!
Re: Gay Teacher Fired By Catholic School For Wedding Photos by Dygeasy(m): 1:05pm On Aug 07, 2013
israel007: Discrimination.

Fact that he's gay doesn't make you better thank he is. Who know what these people do behimd close doors
Dude, Wassup? I love You. Will You Marry Me? undecided
Re: Gay Teacher Fired By Catholic School For Wedding Photos by adtiezy1(m): 1:14pm On Aug 07, 2013
How do they think reproduction would occur..marrying the same sex as urz.??.*spits*...efumiulomo to fresh to ni ikebenla miofe omo to ni ifo lapalap tabi enla
Re: Gay Teacher Fired By Catholic School For Wedding Photos by Oludrex(m): 1:43pm On Aug 07, 2013
Have you read the YouTube comments lately?
"Man, that's gay" gets dropped on the daily
We become so numb to what we're saying
A culture founded from oppression
Yet we don't have acceptance for 'em
Call each other fagg*ts behind the keys of a message board
A word rooted in hate, yet our genre still ignores it
Gay is synonymous with the lesser
It's the same hate that's caused wars from religion
Gender to skin color, the complexion of your pigment
The same fight that led people to walk outs and sit ins
It's human rights for everybody, there is no difference!
Live on and be yourself
When I was at church they taught me something else
If you preach hate at the service those words aren't anointed
That holy water that you soak in has been poisoned
When everyone else is more comfortable remaining voiceless
Rather than fighting for humans that have had their rights stolen
I might not be the same, but that's not important
No freedom till we're equal, damn right I support it
Re: Gay Teacher Fired By Catholic School For Wedding Photos by bigt2(m): 11:20pm On Aug 07, 2013
drstan: Yea, that is goodsmiley .! First 2 quote d first comment
grin

(1) (Reply)

A Simple Mathematics For All Christians To Know / 17 Year Old Virgin Stoned To Death (caution Very Graphic) / God Is Love, The Innocent Wouldn't Suffer.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 39
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.