Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,511 members, 7,830,524 topics. Date: Friday, 17 May 2024 at 01:31 AM

Child Marriage - Children Threaten Hunger Strike Over Senate’s Resolution - Politics (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Child Marriage - Children Threaten Hunger Strike Over Senate’s Resolution (16254 Views)

Intrigues Over Senate Presidency: Ndume, Ekweremadu, Adamu Eye Saraki’s Seat / Olisa Metuh Goes On Hunger Strike / Army Reacts To Hunger Strike By Reinstated Soldiers (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Child Marriage - Children Threaten Hunger Strike Over Senate’s Resolution by rabzy01: 6:03pm On Aug 07, 2013
It is a shame how people who claim to be educated, learned and civilized cant even have the time to read and understand the provisions of the constitution.
When one looks at the so called controversial provision,it is clear that it has nothing to do with marriage at all. The provision is on the right of Nigerians to renounce his or her citizenship which the constitution denied those who are under 18 but gives it to married women even if they are under 18.
This provision has been there since 1979. I wonder how this promotes or forces under age marriage.
Those saying it promotes under-age marriage should come out and tell us how many under-age marriages were contracted since 1979 as a result of this provision.
My candid advice to those shouting and forcing innocent children to commit suicide is, force your senators, if you can, to enact laws that prohibits those under 18 from having SSEXXX before enacting laws prohibiting marriage.

2 Likes

Re: Child Marriage - Children Threaten Hunger Strike Over Senate’s Resolution by tomzman: 6:29pm On Aug 07, 2013
Lol! Kids will always be kids.
Re: Child Marriage - Children Threaten Hunger Strike Over Senate’s Resolution by Doncharis(m): 6:35pm On Aug 07, 2013
Wht a courageous children....dey shall be noted in d 9jirian history if dey carry dz out....D senate note dat any negative result, if d protest wz carried out wll rest on ur shoulders....Dz is a typical example dat uu pple(d senate)'re nt ripe 2 make law 4 dz nation...Hw cn a growin child,whu iz suppozed 2 be subjected 2 education...wll walk in a stressful phenomenon lyk marriage,whch requires maturity,enlightment nd gud home trainin 2 go in2....Didnt dey knw dat it wll hv so much psychological effects on dem....Infact i weep ova my country
Re: Child Marriage - Children Threaten Hunger Strike Over Senate’s Resolution by phildon: 7:31pm On Aug 07, 2013
rabzy01: It is a shame how people who claim to be educated, learned and civilized cant even have the time to read and understand the provisions of the constitution.
When one looks at the so called controversial provision,it is clear that it has nothing to do with marriage at all. The provision is on the right of Nigerians to renounce his or her citizenship which the constitution denied those who are under 18 but gives it to married women even if they are under 18.
This provision has been there since 1979. I wonder how this promotes or forces under age marriage.
Those saying it promotes under-age marriage should come out and tell us how many under-age marriages were contracted since 1979 as a result of this provision.
My candid advice to those shouting and forcing innocent children to commit suicide is, force your senators, if you can, to enact laws that prohibits those under 18 from having SSEXXX before enacting laws prohibiting marriage.
Thank u o jare. And this is the main reason we are still ruled by some clueless fellows.

1 Like

Re: Child Marriage - Children Threaten Hunger Strike Over Senate’s Resolution by emorse(m): 8:01pm On Aug 07, 2013
la furia:

it still doesnt, since 21 states have the child right act, it means the constitution age is still 18 but under the sharia and customary law, there aint age limit which means a girl under 18 can marry. unless you are using the sharia or customary law, you have nothing to worry. that clause is there to cater for those under the sharia and customary law. even in a court of law that section isnt a loophole.

anyway, the fact remains the constitution marriage is still 18 nothing was changed.

phildon: Ok, let's assume Section 29(4)(b) is deleted from the Constitution as you claim to prefer. Can you then quote any section in the Constitution that would prevent me from marrying an under 18?
This is from a lawyer's poimt of view. if you believe she's wrong, please give me reasons other than the fact that she's not Nigerian.
www.lawschool.cornell.edu/womenandjustice/Featured-Comments/Nigeria-Constitution-29-4-b.cfm
Re: Child Marriage - Children Threaten Hunger Strike Over Senate’s Resolution by rabzy01: 8:31pm On Aug 07, 2013
Your submission only goes to show how confused many Nigerians are. Please pay attention to the provisions of Sec 29(4) a & b as quoted below:

" For the purposes of subsection 1 OF THIS SECTION:
(a) "full age" means the age of 18 years and above;
(b) any woman who is married shall be deemed to be of full age."

From the above provisions, it is clear that the issue of recognising married woman as of full age is LIMITED TO SECTION 29 SUBSECTION 1 OF THE CONSTITUTION. It has nothing to do with the provisions of the so called child right act.
grin grin grin

emorse:

This is from a lawyer's poimt of view. if you believe she's wrong, please give me reasons other than the fact that she's not Nigerian.
www.lawschool.cornell.edu/womenandjustice/Featured-Comments/Nigeria-Constitution-29-4-b.cfm

1 Like

Re: Child Marriage - Children Threaten Hunger Strike Over Senate’s Resolution by phildon: 8:49pm On Aug 07, 2013
emorse:

1. to imagine
that a Federal Constitution for Nigeria
will busy itself with such mundane
issues as marriage comes as laughable
as pedantic as it is. The applicable
relevant laws on the rights of all
children vis-à-vis marital causes include
Child Rights Act 2003, Matrimonial
Causes Act 1990, Marriage Act 1990,
Marriage (Validation) Act 1990, Criminal
Code (Southern Sates) Act 1990, and
Penal Code (Northern States) Federal
Provisions Act 1990.

2. While this your lawyer could easily point out that " the
clause is an implicit endorsement of
child marriage", she could not do same to "for the purpose of renunciation of Citizenship" implies "for the purpose of marriage".

3. I'll put it to you again. If you delete Section 29(4)(b) from the Constitution, which part would I be violating if I marry an under 18?
Re: Child Marriage - Children Threaten Hunger Strike Over Senate’s Resolution by Asam2(m): 8:52pm On Aug 07, 2013
this children no get sense. how many of them they don force to marry?. why them no they complaint. if u are forced to Early marriage u no no say Nigerian. court fit save you. if Nigerian courts no fit try south Africa.
please.
Re: Child Marriage - Children Threaten Hunger Strike Over Senate’s Resolution by dgysoft(m): 9:05pm On Aug 07, 2013
yerima u don die. u r finished. oya marry the children nah
Re: Child Marriage - Children Threaten Hunger Strike Over Senate’s Resolution by Asam2(m): 9:08pm On Aug 07, 2013
emorse:

Better late than never my bro/sis. We have been going about our normal activities all these while and some people have been suffering in silence. Take for example, the 17yr old girl that allegedly killed her husband recently. Another positive that could come out of this(if the constitution is finally amended) is the self belief it would instill in us. We just might grow strong enough to tackle our leaders on other pressing issues.

olodo, she did not killed him because she had early marriage, but because she was. force to marry the man she hat.

1 Like

Re: Child Marriage - Children Threaten Hunger Strike Over Senate’s Resolution by Barayeks(m): 9:55pm On Aug 07, 2013
Lol, where do these ones think they are? They will just die of hunger for nothing....so they really think the senators give a damn about them starving. Will it stop their monthly pay or payment for each sitting?..have they attended to children that are actually starving?...nah the one wey.dey do hunger strike dem go answer ...... anyway no need for long talk, Nigerian r not dedicated enough to carry any thing thru ....after all the noise for lekki toll gate...are we paying the money now or not?
Re: Child Marriage - Children Threaten Hunger Strike Over Senate’s Resolution by abdulslutsky(m): 11:27pm On Aug 07, 2013
[quote author=Joe page]unfortunately, we live in a crazed society. a society of of mediocre men and women.

Exactly
Re: Child Marriage - Children Threaten Hunger Strike Over Senate’s Resolution by Lanrefahm(m): 11:46pm On Aug 07, 2013
emorse: @lanrefahm
Bros, if you take hard drugs, you'll most likely cause harm to YOUR OWN BODY. Yet they are illegal. Even though nobody can FORCE you to take them.
By the way, can you please list some of the benefits of "early"(age 0-17) marriage?

furnication and order abomination will drastically reduce
Re: Child Marriage - Children Threaten Hunger Strike Over Senate’s Resolution by sleekberry(m): 12:09am On Aug 08, 2013
Lmao,if i hear!,I'm sure they can't even withstand hunger for 20mins,berra leave the protest the ur mothers.grin
Re: Child Marriage - Children Threaten Hunger Strike Over Senate’s Resolution by emorse(m): 12:52am On Aug 08, 2013
rabzy01:
" For the purposes of subsection 1 OF THIS SECTION:
(a) "full age" means the age of 18 years and above;
(b) any woman who is married shall be deemed to be of full age."

From the above provisions, it is clear that the issue of recognising married woman as of full age is LIMITED TO SECTION 29 SUBSECTION 1 OF THE CONSTITUTION. It has nothing to do with the provisions of the so called child right act.
grin grin grin

thanks for pointing that out. Makes alot of sense. But what can you say about this?
http://omojuwa.com/2013/07/untying-the-knot-sec-294a-and-b-of-the-99-constitution-frn-and-child-marriage-in-nigeria/

@phildon, please go through it too and tell me what you think.
NB: I'm not avoiding your question o, I believe the answer is embedded in the link.
Re: Child Marriage - Children Threaten Hunger Strike Over Senate’s Resolution by emorse(m): 1:13am On Aug 08, 2013
Asam2:

olodo, she did not killed him because she had early marriage, but because she was. force to marry the man she hat.
Lanrefahm:

furnication and order abomination will drastically reduce
lol! You guys are funny.
Re: Child Marriage - Children Threaten Hunger Strike Over Senate’s Resolution by adeowo84(m): 6:56am On Aug 08, 2013
eGuerrilla:

Source
make them take lacaseara along o
Re: Child Marriage - Children Threaten Hunger Strike Over Senate’s Resolution by Nobody: 7:10am On Aug 08, 2013
phildon: Ok, let's assume Section 29(4)(b) is deleted from the Constitution as you claim to prefer. Can you then quote any section in the Constitution that would prevent me from marrying an under 18?
Re: Child Marriage - Children Threaten Hunger Strike Over Senate’s Resolution by phildon: 7:17am On Aug 08, 2013
emorse:

thanks for pointing that out. Makes alot of sense. But what can you say about this?
http://omojuwa.com/2013/07/untying-the-knot-sec-294a-and-b-of-the-99-constitution-frn-and-child-marriage-in-nigeria/

@phildon, please go through it too and tell me what you think.
NB: I'm not avoiding your question o, I believe the answer is embedded in the link.

The writer asked 3 questions and provided their answers all by himself.
1. Question 1 was wrong in the first place because S29(4) has (a) and (b) parts.

(a) ”full age” means the age of
eighteen years and above;

(b) any woman who is married shall
be deemed to be of full age.

As you can see the entire subsection 4 is dedicated to defining 'full age' for the purpose of subsection 1, and not for the entire 1999 Conatitution.
Subsection 4(b) is merely empowering a woman who is married to enjoy that priviledge any person aged 18 and above is enjoying. It never says any married woman is automatically 18 and above. No! She is "deemed" for ease of application.

2.For question 2, I sincerely do not see the nexus between Sec. 29(4)(a)&(b) and Item 61 of the Second Schedule of the
’99 Constitution.

3. Question 3 is mischievous because if what he called child marriage is legalised, it was not the Senate that legalised it. The Senate simply left the Constitution untempered!

Let me make it clear that the Constitution does not have a general definition of "full age". And S29(4) only defined what it meant by "full age" for its use in subsection 1.

And the Child Right Act has to be domesticated in your state before it can be applicable to you.
Re: Child Marriage - Children Threaten Hunger Strike Over Senate’s Resolution by phildon: 7:38am On Aug 08, 2013
kadunavoice.com/my-thoughts-on-child-marriage-dr-peregrino-brimah/

mystandandi..com/2013/07/yerima-and-child-bride-clause.html?m=

http://mobile.saharareporters.com/article/final-word-femi-fani-kayode-and-others-child-marriage
Re: Child Marriage - Children Threaten Hunger Strike Over Senate’s Resolution by PRECIOUSSOKARI(f): 7:50am On Aug 08, 2013
[color=#990000]Its sad how senselessly some idiots comment at times. These children have known wat most still won't know until they die and that is their right. Hopin to get it from this means and all you do is give ugly comments yet complain Nigeria is corrupt. If you don't have anythin reasonable to say why not shut it
Re: Child Marriage - Children Threaten Hunger Strike Over Senate’s Resolution by emoney15yahoocom(m): 10:13am On Aug 08, 2013
This world is coming to an end, if i may sugest let the law makers scrap de law about Child mrg. If not i will make sure i fastening to marry one of dose senator' child period.
Re: Child Marriage - Children Threaten Hunger Strike Over Senate’s Resolution by jaywilliams(f): 12:07pm On Aug 08, 2013
Y y'all jst dissing these kids nahh. Its d thought dat matterz ooo.
Re: Child Marriage - Children Threaten Hunger Strike Over Senate’s Resolution by Expensiveman: 8:55pm On Aug 08, 2013
Fellow children i have started when are starting ?
Re: Child Marriage - Children Threaten Hunger Strike Over Senate’s Resolution by Nathayas: 10:27am On Jun 08, 2015
Let those senseless senators give out their 12 or 13 years old child for marriage first before others. Brainless like their daura cow.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Sagay: 'Atiku Has No Records To Run With Except Empty Promises' / FG Gives 12,000 Foreigners Permit To Work In Nigeria / Never Again Will PDP Return To Power - Bola Tinubu Vows (video)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 41
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.