Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,826 members, 7,820,905 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 01:43 AM

Encounter With Herdsmen In Delta - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Encounter With Herdsmen In Delta (16740 Views)

Fulani Herdsmen In Awka Town / Shehu Sani's Fulani Attire As He Meets With Herdsmen In Kaduna (Photos) / Teenagers Killed By Fulani Herdsmen In Benue Community - Graphic Photos (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Encounter With Herdsmen In Delta by Boyoorisha: 11:57am On Aug 07, 2013
Reports of Fulani herdsmen attacking members of their host communities with AK 47 rifles and other dangerous weapons have often been treated as a fairy tale by those saddled with the responsibility of protecting lives and property of the citizenry.

Recently, Crime Alert published a story of 23-year-old Ogbonna Eze, a commercial motorcyclist from Opi Community in Nsukka Local Government Area of Enugu state, whose life was almost snuffed out by two Fulani herdsmen whom he had conveyed from Opi Junction along Enugu -Makurdi Expressway , to their camp at Idodo Agu Ekwegbe, Igbo Etiti local government area on a special drop.

But midway into the journey, Eze got the shock of his life following an order from the men for him to stop, on reaching a market close to the camp. But before he could fathom the reason for the order, he was attacked from behind with matchet cuts all over his head and was abandoned in a bush part apparently to die, while his motorbike was taken away by his assailants.

It would also be recalled that the Obi of Onicha-Ugbo in Delta State, Agbogidi, Victor Chukwumalieze, had three months ago, raised alarm over atrocities of Fulani herdsmen whom he alleged ravaged farm lands, raped women and attacked farmers who dared to challenge them.

The Fulani herdsmen said to have fled their home town following activities of Boko Haram sect in some Northern parts of the country have reportedly diversified into armed robbery in their host communities with security agencies accused of looking the other way.

At Ogume, in Ndokwa local government area of Delta state, about 27 persons were reportedly killed in April after the herdsmen were confronted by Ogume youths. There has also been reported clashes in between the herdsmen and youths in Ibusa. Although vigilante groups have been formed in the various communities around Delta state and other areas bedeviled by these attacks, unfortunately, they seemed not to be able to match the fire power of these herdsmen.

Worried by this development in Delta state, Governor Emmanuel Uduaghan established a constitution responsible for the protection of lives of Deltans from these criminal group that disguise as herdsmen. Even with this on ground, there seemed to be no end to the attack of Fulani herdsmen.

A recent attack occurred July 21, 2013 when five armed Fulani herdsmen wielding fully loaded AK 47 rifles, ambushed a 14 seater Hiace bus, travelling from Onicha-Ugbo to Asaba, Delta state, dispossessing the occupants of their belongings.

One of the occupants of the bus was Vanguard’s Foreign Affairs Editor, Mr Hugo Odiogor, who escaped death by the whiskers, following the merciless beatings they received from the herdsmen.

Narrating his ordeal, he said: “ It started like a dream as staccato of gun shots shattered the early morning peace and silence penultimate Sunday. I had attended the funeral of late Steve Osemeke, former Director of Public Affairs of Independent National Electoral Commission,INEC who died on June 24, 2013 in Abuja.The funeral rites began on July 18th and ended on 20th, after he was committed to mother earth. Thereafter, the visiting parties began to depart. I had planned to return to Abuja enroute Asaba International Airport.

From Onicha-Ugbo junction, I boarded a Delta coloured Hiace bus heading towards Asaba/Onitsha at about 7.05am.The journey had lasted only twenty minutes when five Fulani herdsmen carrying AK 47 rifles jumped out from the bush at the Ubulu Okiti-Otulu end of the Asaba-Benin Expressway. They shattered the peace of this dewy Sunday morning with staccato of gun shots into the air to warn the driver and the occupants of the bus of their intention to kill anybody that tries to offer resistance.

The gun shots elicited a general shout of “blood of Jesus” from the terrified occupants of the bus.

Each round of shootings was accompanied by a corresponding response of “blood of Jesus”.

With their patched up English language they ordered everybody to “bring out ya Money or i kill you”. They had their faces covered with charcoal, while their dresses and language obviously tells you that they are cattle rearers. They carried with them their sticks and machetes

Without a whimper, we all handed over whatever money we had on us. I gave them N45,000 which was to cover my flight ticket and other expenses. We were ordered to spread ourselves on the express road, faced down to be searched. They warned us pronto “if I search you and see any money, I kill you”. This was a command that nobody in his right mind would disobey. Promptly, we undressed; men and women, with only boxers and panties on. As we did so, we were lashed with the rod they used to shepherd their cattle. Each lash of the whip was greeted with the shouts of “blood of Jesus”.

As if the pains from the long stick was not scotching enough, a slap with the blade side of the machete landed on my back, wham! One of the co- travellers warned me: “Oga if you no shout them go shoot you O!’. That warning was well taken as another blow from the machete landed on my back wham!, I screamed as much as I could, to convince them that I was really feeling the pain.

As they ransacked our luggage and searched our pockets, they held us to the ground faced down, with gun shots ringing out intermittently. We were half dead. The thought in my heart then was either that they would open fire on us or allow on-coming trailer to crush us all. Fortunately, their gun shots had warned other vehicles to stay off from the scene of danger.

It was a 30 minutes ordeal which ended with a command from one of them who said, “let’s go”.We waited for about three minutes to be sure our tormentors were gone before we got up from the ground and scampered to find our clothes from where they were flung.

Confused, scared and traumatized we picked ourselves together but our telephones and cash were gone. My suitcase containing my mini lap top, tape recorder, ATM cards, cheque books, shoes, clothes, documents and other valuables, were gone. I was cashless in the real sense of the word that going forward was as difficult as going back.

Drama of Police Report

The police arrived five minutes after the criminals had gone. Graciously, they assisted some of the wounded passengers to Agbor while those of us going to Asaba were asked to continue with the ill-fated vehicle.

Reporting the incident to the police became another tug of war. At first the reaction of the victims was to get out of the scene of torment, even when the police came, we were not interested in reporting our ordeal to them.

On reaching Asaba, my immediate reaction was to get across to my family but this became a difficult task getting to recall telephone numbers in a confused and traumatised state of mind. When I eventually got through to my family, my next task was how to get access to funds to keep things going. It was not until 6 pm that Chief Akaeze Ibonye took me to the police station to make an official report of the loss of my identity cards and other items which could be found on the crime scene, as this could make me a suspect instead of a victim.

But at the station, I was warned not to say that the robbers were of Fulani extraction, that there was a serious effort by security agencies to conceal the fact that the perpetrators of the crime were from Northern part of the country. But I objected to that. After much trouble, I was referred to Okpanam police station because the scene of the incident was not within Asaba jurisdiction.

On Monday, July 22, 2013, I went to a police station at Okpanam which also declined to enter my report. Instead, I was referred to Isele Uku. On stating my case, a police officer asked me to lead him to the scene of the crime. This sounded idiotic as it means that I could as well lead the police man to the camp of the criminals. The Ozah of Onicha Ugbo Chief Azubukwu Mosindi, told this reporter that several reports have been made concerning these Fulani boys but nobody seemed to care.

This was further collaborated by Chief Patrick Onwochei who said the activities of these herdsmen who terrorize the entire length and breath of Delta State with impunity. From Isele Uku, I was further referred to Ogwashi Uku, where for the second time, I was asked not to describe the robbers as Fulani herdsmen. Of course, I refused, but made my report all the same”, he said..

Residents of the area have therefore, called on the Federal and state government, as well as the Inspector-General of Police to wade into the matter with a view to checkmating activities of these Fulani herdsmen whom they described as emerging terrorists.

View Image Here
www.vanguardngr.com/2013/08/n-a-r-r-o-w-e-s-c-a-p-e-encounter-with-fulani-herdsmen-in-delta/#sthash.xsaSHRbx.4pKNFuly.dpuf

1 Like

Re: Encounter With Herdsmen In Delta by OpinionLeader: 12:09pm On Aug 07, 2013
In the spirit of "One Naijiria", what are we going to do? NOTHING!!!

We may even have to grant them 'amnesty' so that they will stop to maim and kill us.

Seriously, I think Ombatshe Cult Group appears to be the only solution to these cowards.

12 Likes

Re: Encounter With Herdsmen In Delta by wonlasewonimi: 12:12pm On Aug 07, 2013
WTF
Re: Encounter With Herdsmen In Delta by Nobody: 12:14pm On Aug 07, 2013
Dem dey enter gudluck place 2 distablise him
Re: Encounter With Herdsmen In Delta by Nobody: 12:41pm On Aug 07, 2013
I was asked not to describe the robbers as Fulani herdsmen. Of course, I refused, but made my report all the same”, he said..
Why where they trying to cover up the criminals? How did Fulani herdsmen get Ak47 guns?

7 Likes

Re: Encounter With Herdsmen In Delta by balium(m): 12:41pm On Aug 07, 2013
how the hell did fulani herdsmen get hold of AK-47

2 Likes

Re: Encounter With Herdsmen In Delta by Nobody: 12:44pm On Aug 07, 2013
Nawa oh
Re: Encounter With Herdsmen In Delta by miccodb(m): 12:44pm On Aug 07, 2013
In the masses voice 'All is well'
Re: Encounter With Herdsmen In Delta by slimfredo(m): 12:46pm On Aug 07, 2013
its so unfortunate but all d same take heart!!!!
Re: Encounter With Herdsmen In Delta by olu4life(m): 12:47pm On Aug 07, 2013
OMBATSE BOIZ wea una dey?! I pray something is done about this o. But couldnnt stop laughing at the 'blood of Jesus' part. Na wa for Nigerians o
Re: Encounter With Herdsmen In Delta by ballabriggs: 12:48pm On Aug 07, 2013
You shall leave them in that place and not relocate them, else it becomes a violation of the fundamental human rights of the Fulani people.

5 Likes

Re: Encounter With Herdsmen In Delta by MrAboki: 12:51pm On Aug 07, 2013
I dey come... This story long!
Re: Encounter With Herdsmen In Delta by alphaconde(m): 12:51pm On Aug 07, 2013
Everyday above the ground is a good day

2 Likes

Re: Encounter With Herdsmen In Delta by webincomeplus(m): 12:53pm On Aug 07, 2013
*takes a deep breath and remains speechless*
Re: Encounter With Herdsmen In Delta by patrick27: 12:53pm On Aug 07, 2013
Boko Haram, taking another dimension!
Re: Encounter With Herdsmen In Delta by wiilly02(m): 12:55pm On Aug 07, 2013
dunno y govt ah turnin a blind eye 2 d security problms arising daily....it hurts me 2 know that pple come 2 a state 2 seek refuge n wen dey ah givin solace they turn against their benefactors n turn dem 2 deir slaves...it jus aint fair....God help dem

1 Like

Re: Encounter With Herdsmen In Delta by wiilly02(m): 12:55pm On Aug 07, 2013
wiilly02: dunno y govt ah turnin a blind eye 2 d security problms arising daily....it hurts me 2 know that pple come 2 a state 2 seek refuge n wen dey ah givin solace they turn against their benefactors n turn dem 2 deir slaves...it jus aint fair....God help dem
Re: Encounter With Herdsmen In Delta by tallceejay(m): 12:57pm On Aug 07, 2013
Opinion_Leader: In the spirit of "One Naijiria", what are we going to do? NOTHING!!!

We may even have to grant them 'amnesty' so that they will stop to maim and kill us.

Seriously, I think Ombatshe Cult Group appears to be the only solution to these cowards.

And what might that solution be ??
Re: Encounter With Herdsmen In Delta by Olaposij(m): 12:58pm On Aug 07, 2013
Mend, bakassi boys and other militants, where una dey?

2 Likes

Re: Encounter With Herdsmen In Delta by playcharles(m): 1:00pm On Aug 07, 2013
whammmmmmmm....Blood of Jesus
Re: Encounter With Herdsmen In Delta by oluamid(m): 1:00pm On Aug 07, 2013
Fulani herdsmen are usually armed with knives and cudgels. Why the cover-up? How did they come about the guns? Are these Boko Haram elements who ran away from JTF fire?
Just wondering.
Re: Encounter With Herdsmen In Delta by Nobody: 1:02pm On Aug 07, 2013
Waitn for the day they would try an attack @ our naval_base
Re: Encounter With Herdsmen In Delta by smajatt(m): 1:04pm On Aug 07, 2013
men honestly dea nids to b legalisation of arms in this country if we want all this tinz to stop.cos if d whole 18 or so passenger had guns d fulanis wld tink twice b4 atacking. even a triger happy police man wld tink twice b4 misfiring,same goes to our politicians. i tink d only way out is self protection either u go meet ombatse cult for correct jaz or u get ursef enuf hand grenades nd guns for tight situations cos honestly dis country is nt safe.
Re: Encounter With Herdsmen In Delta by Sibrah: 1:06pm On Aug 07, 2013
Delta Igbo's turn i guess, So when is the Husband of una Jesus on earth going to act? After-all u pple voted him massively. Is he going to fold his arms and not give a damn while the Fulanis take the struggle to their doorstep and also outdo BH in the process?
Re: Encounter With Herdsmen In Delta by Pukkah: 1:11pm On Aug 07, 2013
When such people are sent back to their states some people would scream 'one Nigeria' or that the constitution permits freedom of movement in any part of Nigeria.
Re: Encounter With Herdsmen In Delta by Nobody: 1:13pm On Aug 07, 2013
mumulogists be there looking, sidon dey look untill they swallow all of you alive cheesy grin angry angry angry
Re: Encounter With Herdsmen In Delta by brixton: 1:14pm On Aug 07, 2013
Dese re d kinda people dat need tobe deported within Nigeria. Its an understatement to say dis country don spoil finish
Re: Encounter With Herdsmen In Delta by rozayx5(m): 1:18pm On Aug 07, 2013
buhari's legacy undecided undecided
Re: Encounter With Herdsmen In Delta by dareyking(m): 1:18pm On Aug 07, 2013
Who do we blame nw buh 4 me itz Gej...buh at the same time u cnt blame him he inherited enough problems that even the so called economist cnt solve...at the same time the APC is a very gud option nt necesary at the FG level buh also in state,local gvt me levels.so if em governrs nt performin to expectatin let the oppsition takeover and letz see the difference..availability of enough options by so doin i belive we will one day remember today en be Happy...Dareyking...S.M.T.
Re: Encounter With Herdsmen In Delta by dodo77: 1:18pm On Aug 07, 2013
DELTA STATE GOVERNMENT! A TOOTHLESS BULL DOG THAT CAN BARK BUT CAN'T BITE. I REMEMBER THE GOVERNOR SAYING THAT FULANI HERDSMEN HAVE BEEN BANNED FROM ENTERING COMMUNITIES. THIS PROBLEM IS COMMON IN ALMOST ALL ROADS IN DELTA. ASABA-KWALE-UGHELLI ROAD IS ANOTHER NIGHTMARE. THIS WILL ONLY STOP WHEN OUR TOP POLITICIANS ARE DIRECTLY AFFECTED. MAYBE WHEN UDUAGHAN'S DAUGHTER BECOMES A VICIM ALL THIS WILL STOP.

6 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Arrest Of Judges: Descent Into Fascism – PDP / One Term Not Enough To Fix Nigeria, Buhari Insists / Nigeria Heading For Recession In Q4 2020 — Zainab Ahmed

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 41
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.