Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,204 members, 7,822,058 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 04:56 AM

Oprah 'suffers Racism' In Zurich Switzerland - Celebrities (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Celebrities / Oprah 'suffers Racism' In Zurich Switzerland (27641 Views)

Black Models Go Naked To Protest Racism In Fashion Industry [explicit Photos] / Oprah 'Sorry' For Naming Switzerland In Race Row / Tina Turner Weds Erwin Bach In Switzerland (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Oprah 'suffers Racism' In Zurich Switzerland by madridsta007(m): 4:02pm On Aug 09, 2013
dplomaticVal: It s mindboggling tht sm dummies here tht havnt evn seen the four walls of a classroom bfr are amongst the peeps ranting racism angry ,wht do u guys knw is racism?For pete's sake the salesgirl ws nvr in any way tryin to intimidate or feel superior to Winfrey because of her skin color!!!. The price of the bag Winfrey wntd to purchase was too exorbitant (equivalent to the price of a car). so the salesgirl ws only tryin to advise her as a client to go for a cheap affordable commodity because she nvr knew that Winfrey is a moneybag. so it is foolhardy for anyone to translate wht happened in zurich as racism.

It's clear you don't know the meaning of racism or what it translates to.

I'm sure you are white anyway, albino white, so unlikely to have racists incidents.

8 Likes

Re: Oprah 'suffers Racism' In Zurich Switzerland by gidjah(m): 4:02pm On Aug 09, 2013
Swizz, dat is it, neva fall short of displaying ds evil menace called racism, in as much u ain't black, residing in dat part of europe requires strict compliance to odd rules, n most times kinda hidding things I tel u

1 Like

Re: Oprah 'suffers Racism' In Zurich Switzerland by Diasporan(m): 4:04pm On Aug 09, 2013
Same thing happened to my friend here in the US few months back when he went to buy a car worth 80 thousand dollars with a down payment of 40 thousand dollars.The white sales man told him he can't collect the check cause he doubt if a young black man can own such an amount in the bank.It took the intervention of the Sales manager before they accepted the check.Funny enough my friend is a Doctor and in his early 30s who makes a lot of cash.Its quite unfortunate but that is the world we are living in the West.A world filled with racism and going back home to Nigeria you will also be greeted by Tribalism,religious bigotry and nepotism in the length and breadth of the country.

10 Likes

Re: Oprah 'suffers Racism' In Zurich Switzerland by Lilimax(f): 4:04pm On Aug 09, 2013
Chinwem: Oprah was so cool, she left quietly
She should ve emptied the whole shop in the woman's presence
Ignorance is bliss......they just lost a potential customer
And why is the name of the shop not mentioned?
Name and shame them people
yeah, they lost out due to ignorance... If only they knew whom Oprah was?

1 Like

Re: Oprah 'suffers Racism' In Zurich Switzerland by anonimi: 4:07pm On Aug 09, 2013
It is UNLIKELY that Oprah would have been treated in the same manner if she was an Asian or Arab woman!

This is why blacks need to do something about our COLLECTIVE growth.
Something similar to what Chief Obafemi Awolowo did in his six years (1954-1960) as Premier of the Western region.
Oprah is not doing badly in that regards with the many MEANINGFUL philantropic initiatives she does, particularly in education.

It might be useful to refresh our memories with this excerpt from Obama's recent comments on Trayvon's murder.

There are very few African American men in this country who haven't had the experience of being followed when they were shopping in a department store. That includes me. There are very few African American men who haven't had the experience of walking across the street and hearing the locks click on the doors of cars. That happens to me -- at least before I was a senator. There are very few African Americans who haven't had the experience of getting on an elevator and a woman clutching her purse nervously and holding her breath until she had a chance to get off. That happens often.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/07/19/obama-trayvon-martin-speech-transcript_n_3624884.html

3 Likes

Re: Oprah 'suffers Racism' In Zurich Switzerland by bammo: 4:07pm On Aug 09, 2013
dplomaticVal: It s mindboggling tht sm dummies here tht havnt evn seen the four walls of a classroom bfr are amongst the peeps ranting racism angry ,wht do u guys knw is racism?For pete's sake the salesgirl ws nvr in any way tryin to intimidate or feel superior to Winfrey because of her skin color!!!. The price of the bag Winfrey wntd to purchase was too exorbitant (equivalent to the price of a car). so the salesgirl ws only tryin to advise her as a client to go for a cheap affordable commodity because she nvr knew that Winfrey is a moneybag. so it is foolhardy for anyone to translate wht happened in zurich as racism.
oga! I think u r actually d only dummy dat thinks like a toddler here. Due 2 d fact dat u cant use common sense 2 comprehend an indirect statement. U really have a small brain or no brain at all MUMU

9 Likes

Re: Oprah 'suffers Racism' In Zurich Switzerland by dareyking(m): 4:07pm On Aug 09, 2013
*rings bell* Round 1...Oprah 0-1 Racism...en i dun xpct nigerian to coment coz u have far more problemz i.e tribalism,mumuism,favoritism,idiotism.paedopiles yerima,religion bigotz.e.t.c..

1 Like

Re: Oprah 'suffers Racism' In Zurich Switzerland by funkymedina: 4:07pm On Aug 09, 2013
well for some balance. The shop has denied it ..read the reuters story below
Re: Oprah 'suffers Racism' In Zurich Switzerland by true2god: 4:09pm On Aug 09, 2013
Danhumprey: Racism!!! When would it end
Only wen we africans start to develop technologically and less dependent on the whites for anything.

5 Likes

Re: Oprah 'suffers Racism' In Zurich Switzerland by Nobody: 4:10pm On Aug 09, 2013
If it were up to the Swiss, blacks would no credible place in society. Went there in 2003 and could not believe the level of racism, an entire seating on train was abandoned cos i sat there, got treated like i was invincible at McDs of all places and the scrutiny at the airport? I could not believe i was in Europe. I never went back o.

7 Likes

Re: Oprah 'suffers Racism' In Zurich Switzerland by anonimi: 4:10pm On Aug 09, 2013
gidjah: Swizz, dat is it, neva fall short of displaying ds evil menace called racism, in as much u ain't black, residing in dat part of europe requires strict compliance to odd rules, n most times kinda hidding things I tel u

And you will be surprised at how much of our stolen commonwealth i.e. Niger Delta oil revenue is in those Swiss banks despite the subtle racism.

3 Likes

Re: Oprah 'suffers Racism' In Zurich Switzerland by bionicdude(m): 4:10pm On Aug 09, 2013
till d world ends.there would still be racist pple so we might just have to live with it.Oprah did well d only tin she did not do was buy the store
Re: Oprah 'suffers Racism' In Zurich Switzerland by OduntanGabriel(m): 4:11pm On Aug 09, 2013
Reuben.Abati:
That is why I always say, don't judge a book by its cover.

Oya, Nairaland prayer warriors, I hand it over to you. grin

We are here: May God almighty curb racism away for us in dis world.... May he change d colour of any racist to colorless.... In jesus name I pray...

1 Like

Re: Oprah 'suffers Racism' In Zurich Switzerland by anonimi: 4:14pm On Aug 09, 2013
funky medina: well for some balance. The shop has denied it ..read the reuters story below

Na wa for you.
Did you expect the store to actually confirm such a racist incident occured
SMH!!!

2 Likes

Re: Oprah 'suffers Racism' In Zurich Switzerland by OduntanGabriel(m): 4:14pm On Aug 09, 2013

Pls sir/ma, were u present at d scene of d event? Also can u please give us good reasons why a sales girl will stop potential customers from buying expensive things or are u the salesperson?

5 Likes

Re: Oprah 'suffers Racism' In Zurich Switzerland by OduntanGabriel(m): 4:20pm On Aug 09, 2013
Danhumprey: Racism!!! When would it end

It will end when we stop choosing bold 5 WHITE over Bold 5 Black.... Wen we stop separating white cloths and black cloths from eachother while washing(let's wash dem 2geda)

2 Likes

Re: Oprah 'suffers Racism' In Zurich Switzerland by armyofone(m): 4:20pm On Aug 09, 2013
The salesgirl missed a big commission.

I liked what Julia Robert did to the sales girl in Pretty Woman. After she reported to Richard that the expensive store sent her out, he wrote her a fat check and she went shopping then dropped by at the same store to show off grin

doesn't matter whether the person is rich or poor, just give her/customer the bag to admire, maybe ask for financing as they do in the USA grin if we don't call it racism, then it is discrimination against the poor which is very bad too.

2 Likes

Re: Oprah 'suffers Racism' In Zurich Switzerland by Blessmira: 4:21pm On Aug 09, 2013
Oya, start comin 2 Nigeria, Alaba market Lagos precisely, we go even deliver d handbag 2 ur house. cheesy Hurry while d offer last...

1 Like

Re: Oprah 'suffers Racism' In Zurich Switzerland by anonimi: 4:21pm On Aug 09, 2013
dplomaticVal: wht do u guys knw is racism?For pete's sake the salesgirl ws nvr in any way tryin to intimidate or feel superior to Winfrey because of her skin color!!!. The price of the bag Winfrey wntd to purchase was too exorbitant (equivalent to the price of a car). so the salesgirl ws only tryin to advise her as a client to go for a cheap affordable commodity because she nvr knew that Winfrey is a moneybag. so it is foolhardy for anyone to translate wht happened in zurich as racism.

Right there for you highlighted is the racism.
*Does she need to know if Oprah Winfrey "is a moneybag"?
*Did the salesgirl LIKELY conclude that Oprah is too poor to afford the bag i.e. not "a moneybag" because she is black?
*How many non-blacks do YOU THINK she has "advised" to buy cheaper article when they chose an expensive item?
* Is it a shop/company policy to advise clients to buy cheaper article when they choose an expensive item and have not said they cannot pay the price?

Hope you see the racism now or maybe I should ask YOU more clarification questions

6 Likes

Re: Oprah 'suffers Racism' In Zurich Switzerland by ElDonal(m): 4:22pm On Aug 09, 2013
even in the great UK, racizim do hppn , so why complain
Re: Oprah 'suffers Racism' In Zurich Switzerland by gentility003(m): 4:30pm On Aug 09, 2013
№ b small tin, upon A̶̲̥̅̊ll her money?
Re: Oprah 'suffers Racism' In Zurich Switzerland by annexes: 4:32pm On Aug 09, 2013
Oduntan Gabriel:

It will end when we stop choosing bold 5 WHITE over Bold 5 Black.... Wen we stop separating white cloths and black cloths from eachother while washing(let's wash dem 2geda)
man! U've got the righT answer 4 him.

1 Like

Re: Oprah 'suffers Racism' In Zurich Switzerland by Siga: 4:33pm On Aug 09, 2013
El Donal: even in the great UK, racizim do hppn , so why complain
....whatz GREAT about UK undecided

1 Like

Re: Oprah 'suffers Racism' In Zurich Switzerland by amanze15(m): 4:35pm On Aug 09, 2013
undecided she would feel goose bumps of inferiority.......ordinary Wale(of MMG) bought all the air jordons of size 10 in a store in the US, same scene happened when ludacris and rock went to get cars (fast6) the white guy told them to the rest room and change to serve customers grin u know the rest....its evident racism still exists buh aunty oprah I little show off for make sense
Re: Oprah 'suffers Racism' In Zurich Switzerland by achi4u(m): 4:36pm On Aug 09, 2013
dareyking: *rings bell* Round 1...Oprah 0-1 Racism...en i dun xpct nigerian to coment coz u have far more problemz i.e tribalism,mumuism,favoritism,idiotism.paedopiles yerima,religion bigotz.e.t.c..
gringringrin
I taya o!cheesy
Re: Oprah 'suffers Racism' In Zurich Switzerland by Lantean(m): 4:41pm On Aug 09, 2013
Nigerians are strange. It's, somewhat, unpatriotic of Nigerians to sympathize with Oprah.
First of all, she aint poor so i think the attendant's statement shoulda been amusing to her.
Secondly, she should have asked to meet the manager to complain, it still wouldn't constitute making a scene.
Third, why do we SYMPATHIZE with the same woman who branded us A NATION OF FRAUDSTERS.

I guess she figures it hurts to be considered what one is not. Sadly, she won't hurt as much as Nigerians when she called us ALL what we are not.

4 Likes

Re: Oprah 'suffers Racism' In Zurich Switzerland by favourlicious: 4:42pm On Aug 09, 2013
LMAO!!!!!!!!!!! grin grin grin
ZUBY77: The same thing happened to me in Amsterdam central in 2010.
I had entered into a Diamond shop and was looking at a particular stone through the Glass.
The manager walked past me and said
''You can't pay for that young man''..

I checked the price and it was €42.000.. ( Fourty two thousand Euros)

He was right.

1 Like

Re: Oprah 'suffers Racism' In Zurich Switzerland by pappilo(m): 4:43pm On Aug 09, 2013
I was in Spain last week and I went into a FC Barcelona store with my young family to buy a football shirt for my son. The security guard started following us around and at one point was telling the store manager something and pointing at us. I became so nervous and upset as I was with my kids and hadnt had that kind if thing happen to me in a long time.

I just quickly paid for the one shirt my son had tried for size and hurriedly left the store.
Re: Oprah 'suffers Racism' In Zurich Switzerland by fr3do(m): 4:46pm On Aug 09, 2013
Mr Aboki: Why not just leave the store, return with a buncha destitute blacks, have them clean out every darn item in the store, pay for it, buy up the building and turn it into a homeless shelter... angry

Boss!

[size=17pt]
WORD!

[/size]
Re: Oprah 'suffers Racism' In Zurich Switzerland by pri3stess(f): 4:46pm On Aug 09, 2013
If I was Oprah, I would have bought the whole store and fired the b!4ch.
Re: Oprah 'suffers Racism' In Zurich Switzerland by Killingp: 4:47pm On Aug 09, 2013
Oprah's display of humility irrespective of how rich she is, should serve as a moral praxis 4 our 9ja ladies. Imagine what will be the reaction of a super rich 9ja woman after the assistant said that.... Oprah's display of humility irrespective of how rich she is, should serve as a moral praxis 4 our 9ja ladies. Imagine what will be the reaction of a super rich 9ja woman after the assistant said that....
Re: Oprah 'suffers Racism' In Zurich Switzerland by Siga: 4:49pm On Aug 09, 2013
Killing p.:
Oprah's display of humility irrespective of how rich she is, should serve as a moral praxis 4 our 9ja ladies. Imagine what will be the reaction of a super rich 9ja woman after the assistant said that.... Oprah's display of humility irrespective of how rich she is, should serve as a moral praxis 4 our 9ja ladies. Imagine what will be the reaction of a super rich 9ja woman after the assistant said that....
....just picture our First lady in that store... grin

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Toke Makinwa Returns To Her Husband Quietly; Shows Off Her Wedding Ring / Empress Njamah Goes Shopping In Abuja (Photos) / Linda Ikeji Featured On Forbes Africa Magazine (photo)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 62
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.