Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,914 members, 7,810,510 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 10:18 AM

Oprah 'suffers Racism' In Zurich Switzerland - Celebrities (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Celebrities / Oprah 'suffers Racism' In Zurich Switzerland (27618 Views)

Black Models Go Naked To Protest Racism In Fashion Industry [explicit Photos] / Oprah 'Sorry' For Naming Switzerland In Race Row / Tina Turner Weds Erwin Bach In Switzerland (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Oprah 'suffers Racism' In Zurich Switzerland by Nobody: 7:13pm On Aug 09, 2013
[quote
author=yomalex]i think she handled it in a very nice way[/quote]
When you have money, you dont talk too much. She is reported to have raked in $77m last year and what could be £22,500 which is the price tag on the bag to that? Am amazed with the explanation of the shop owner. She is the one that lost as she could have sold the bag after all.
Re: Oprah 'suffers Racism' In Zurich Switzerland by Nobody: 7:14pm On Aug 09, 2013
toshmann:
no wahala, if you fit carry me for head drop me for bed . . . and the rest as they say is history cheesy

lmaooo. grin
Re: Oprah 'suffers Racism' In Zurich Switzerland by miky(m): 7:21pm On Aug 09, 2013
luchy34: I don't get it? What is racism about it, maybe that woman was reserving that bag for som1 else, or is it the only bag in the world that oprah can't get another bag!? Why must it be a race issue! Mttchew

It's easier said when your observing it through a screen.. Now if u ever happen to go into an upscale shop, maybe you were feeling trendy that day whether In America or Europe. And you find out your the only black person there, you go about your business like others only to have some idiot pester you, then you would understand...

Btw Oprah is well traveled and has been in more situations that you and I, if there is anybody more skilled at understanding such situations its her..

1 Like

Re: Oprah 'suffers Racism' In Zurich Switzerland by Miles78(f): 7:30pm On Aug 09, 2013
The name of the shop is the Trois Pomme, in Zurich Bahnhofstrasse, owned by a lady from Basel. She put this luxurious chain by herself without no godfather's help. But the sales lady lost ooo!
Re: Oprah 'suffers Racism' In Zurich Switzerland by supaeagles(m): 7:34pm On Aug 09, 2013
Billyonaire: So Oprah winfrey thought she was white ? Racism is natural, one can only be civil.
That it is natural does not make it right either.
Same goes for any other vice ... tribalism which is also very prominently on display in NL at times.
Re: Oprah 'suffers Racism' In Zurich Switzerland by Nobody: 7:40pm On Aug 09, 2013
Lol @ some black folks grin

Any negro denying that this is about race must be from LaLa land. Get real. If Oprah was white amd dressed in rags they would assume she was just being "humble". Her ability to afford the goods would not be in question.

But I dont feel sorry for Oprah though. I really don't. This is the second time she had to endure this kind of treatment in a European store; the first incident being in France. The first time, she was not even permitted to enter the store and though it was eventually cleared and apologies were made, she still remained on her high horse. she carried herself in ways to distinguish herself from the greater black population in america.

I admire her as an accomplished black woman, but what she and those who are in her position need to realize is, it doesn't matter how many zeros you have on your paycheck, to "them" a nigga is a darkie is a nigger. tongue dont wait until you are targeted to be aware of on going racism. It is the 21st century and racism is still alive...now more than ever. tongue
Re: Oprah 'suffers Racism' In Zurich Switzerland by babadem2much(m): 7:55pm On Aug 09, 2013
tinz de happen, if a high class celebrity like dis will surfer racism, then what about me d original Babadem wey de higher class
Re: Oprah 'suffers Racism' In Zurich Switzerland by Simulacrum(m): 7:59pm On Aug 09, 2013
"Winfrey said she left the shop calmly without
arguing, but that the experience was proof that
racism continues to be a problem".
Waow I like that absolute show of class
Re: Oprah 'suffers Racism' In Zurich Switzerland by Nobody: 8:00pm On Aug 09, 2013
toshmann:

the only solution your rat brain could offer for racism is MMIA grin

i got news for you, for all the racism here, no one will shoot me bc of religion or ethnicity. . . and by the way, my complaint was about Oprah whose only racism is she was told she cant buy a handbag. i'm of the opinion that there are more serious issues.

why do clueless people rush to ask people abroad to come back home at the slightest issue? as if home is a paradise.

Ok keep moaning and whining like a little biatch about racism like its gonna change anything, are you sure you even live in the states talking about gun shops in black neighborhoods, what gun shops? You must have been watching too many hollywood movies, black neighborhoods are the last place in America that you will find a gun shop.
Re: Oprah 'suffers Racism' In Zurich Switzerland by SANdos: 8:02pm On Aug 09, 2013
Well, Americans have a wild sense of exaggeration, I've seen people-all white- mob Oprah Winfrey in Copenhagen, Denmark and she never go around without a bodyguard who kept fending off fans b4 he hopped into a waiting van. I don't think she won't be recognised in Switzerland this is just some stunt I guess or maybe the source should be verified.
Re: Oprah 'suffers Racism' In Zurich Switzerland by grandstar(m): 8:04pm On Aug 09, 2013
What did the call girl do when she was turned down in Pretty Woman? This brings back memories. Her name was Julia....
Re: Oprah 'suffers Racism' In Zurich Switzerland by adconline(m): 8:05pm On Aug 09, 2013
Nigerians "hate" racism, but "love" tribalismand religionism. You can't hate someone because of their skin color, but you can hate someone because of their tribe and religion.. It's time we looked inward and see that racism ( we hate) resides in most of us in Naija.
Re: Oprah 'suffers Racism' In Zurich Switzerland by OgaTheTop2: 8:10pm On Aug 09, 2013
ZUBY77: The same thing happened to me in Amsterdam central in 2010.
I had entered into a Diamond shop and was looking at a particular stone through the Glass.
The manager walked past me and said
''You can't pay for that young man''..

I checked the price and it was €42.000.. ( Fourty two thousand Euros)

He was right.
He was right YOU couldn't pay.... Not Oprah..

sad
Re: Oprah 'suffers Racism' In Zurich Switzerland by Nobody: 8:15pm On Aug 09, 2013
Re: Oprah 'suffers Racism' In Zurich Switzerland by bebechuks: 8:16pm On Aug 09, 2013
What do u xpect?
Re: Oprah 'suffers Racism' In Zurich Switzerland by toshmann(m): 8:16pm On Aug 09, 2013
femmyb: Ok keep moaning and whining like a little biatch about racism like its gonna change anything, are you sure you even live in the states talking about gun shops in black neighborhoods, what gun shops? You must have been watching too many hollywood movies, black neighborhoods are the last place in America that you will find a gun shop.

you really like sex don't you? cheesy your rat brain couldn't find any other words to explain your pointless point tongue

get a life, it will help you wink
Re: Oprah 'suffers Racism' In Zurich Switzerland by agabaI23(m): 8:19pm On Aug 09, 2013
"She said, 'Oh I don’t want to hurt your feelings' and I said, 'Ok thank you so much you’re probably right I can’t afford it'." said the 59-year-old.
Winfrey, who is the world's only African-American billionaire, then walked out of the shop calmly.
She said: "I could've had the whole blow-up thing and thrown down the black card but why do that but that clearly is you know … it (racism) still exists, of course it does."
Trudie Goetz, the owner of the boutique Trois Pommes, had apologised for the incident.
But Ms Goetz, who also attended Tina Turner's wedding, blamed a language barrier for the "misunderstanding".
"It was a translation problem. The shop assistant's mother tongue is Italian," Ms Goetz said.
"She was very nervous because it's not everyday somebody comes in to buy such an expensive handbag. She simply offered Oprah examples of cheaper ones and that's when she thought the shop assistant didn't want to sell her the bag.
That's the shop, that's the owner and that's her sleazy defense of the shop assistance.
http://uk.tv.yahoo.com/oprah-winfrey-victim-racism-swiss-shop-074336236.html
Language barrier my ass!
Re: Oprah 'suffers Racism' In Zurich Switzerland by sweetgala(m): 8:22pm On Aug 09, 2013
Same Swizz banks that don't have a problem aiding 3rd world dictators in looting their nations funds and turning a blind eye.
Re: Oprah 'suffers Racism' In Zurich Switzerland by Nobody: 8:23pm On Aug 09, 2013
miky:

It's easier said when your observing it through a screen.. Now if u ever happen to go into an upscale shop, maybe you were feeling trendy that day whether In America or Europe. And you find out your the only black person there, you go about your business like others only to have some idiot pester you, then you would understand...

Btw Oprah is well traveled and has been in more situations that you and I, if there is anybody more skilled at understanding such situations its her..
..The same sh*i*t has happened to me before, but not in a upscale shop, that was in london 2011, I entered there double deck bus «4»rm south tottenham station, to edmontun green, I can never forget that bus (no 142) that was 3days after the london riots 2011, when I was about to enter the driver (a white dude)looked @me repeatedly for almost 5secs even when the doors were shut!! Before he moved, I equally noticed that I was the only black in the the bus, even though some colored skins were there, anyway what the heck, I dint see any big deal in it, It made me feel important hehehee! What I'm trying to say we already know that we live in a black and white world, so some certain things shouldn't be an issue, if oprah was looked down upon (which she presumed or the press), she could try another place, or walk away like she did!! Racism becomes an issue if you want it to!! Its not mandatory that she must be known world wide, even the legendary elvis presly was looked down upon in one of his tours around the US. So its everywhere!!
Re: Oprah 'suffers Racism' In Zurich Switzerland by Nobody: 8:24pm On Aug 09, 2013
oprah is an i-diot. she is used to so many people kissing her butt her ego couldnt handle someone who did not kiss her butt. people saying what she did is classy. she went around like a parrot and start singing about the incident as if some serious thing like someone rap-ing her has happened.

and you black folks need to get off ya high horses. everytime someone turns around you are twerking on videos, or shouting in public, or being involved in all kinds of nefarious activity all over europe while tryna get rich fast and you act surprised when people treat you how you act. geddaforkouttaere with dat shyttt. oprah just recieved the collateral damage of black peoples activities worldwide

and i am still anti-white. check my resume. so this aint no uncle tom rant
grin

1 Like

Re: Oprah 'suffers Racism' In Zurich Switzerland by ZUBY77(m): 8:28pm On Aug 09, 2013
Oga@TheTop:

He was right YOU couldn't pay.... Not Oprah..

sad

You are silly. You think oprah was carring a tag on her chest that says:

' i m oprah'
As far as i can tell, black people have different priorities from whites.

Even if i have a million euro, 42,000 worth of Diamond is a NO.

Oprah exaggerated the whole drama.

There could be a possibility that a black person never bought anything of that price in that store.

People should understand that Europe is not USA. What the sales girl did was wrong but oprah should quit crying racism.

Oprah might be popular in US and the backward Africa. Europeans dont care.
Re: Oprah 'suffers Racism' In Zurich Switzerland by agabaI23(m): 8:29pm On Aug 09, 2013
Texas.Cowgirl:

ewwwwwwwwwwwwwwww

It's not just about education, experience is a money maker. Creativity, renovation etc.

But yes, it's harder for blacks on the same platform.

Haba, na here konji carry you reach? Nwayokwaa.Ikpu onye a shikwarike grin grin grin
Re: Oprah 'suffers Racism' In Zurich Switzerland by DrMuzungu(m): 8:34pm On Aug 09, 2013
It is highly unprofessional of the young lady to act that way towards Oprah (or anybody else. Skin colour doesn't really matter. Other than that, I would ask for the shop owner or manager. No point in arguing with the sales girl.
Re: Oprah 'suffers Racism' In Zurich Switzerland by toshmann(m): 8:40pm On Aug 09, 2013
agabaI23:
Haba, na here konji carry you reach? Nwayokwaa.Ikpu onye a shikwarike grin grin grin
no shaky, i am toshmann, i go marry am when she grow cool
Re: Oprah 'suffers Racism' In Zurich Switzerland by Nobody: 8:46pm On Aug 09, 2013
skies.oduah:
Oops sttupid ugly black woman! I thought she was white.

That's an asinine comment. You are quite d.aft i must say. How old are you by the way?
Re: Oprah 'suffers Racism' In Zurich Switzerland by agabaI23(m): 8:54pm On Aug 09, 2013
toshmann:
no shaky, i am toshmann, i go marry am when she grow cool
grin grin grin
Re: Oprah 'suffers Racism' In Zurich Switzerland by Finland(m): 8:56pm On Aug 09, 2013
She should have said " Forget the bag, I want to buy the whole shop"
Re: Oprah 'suffers Racism' In Zurich Switzerland by kabaka1: 8:58pm On Aug 09, 2013
debojyde:

U're very wrong. Does the same salesgirl advise every client to go for cheap affordable commodity?? If she did that then she would not have a Job. The point it what made her come to the conclusion that Winfrey could not afford the bag. It's obvious it was Winfrey skin color. Do you think if Winfrey was white she would have done the same thing? Does she tell the white customers to go searching for cheaper alternative . Wake up , that was some racist shit

U're Damn right!!!
Re: Oprah 'suffers Racism' In Zurich Switzerland by armyofone(m): 8:58pm On Aug 09, 2013
my AA friends told me that Black should always dress nice when going out because situations get worst if you don't look good. Oprah wasn't in her usual "Oprahish" grin

Bed, Bath and Beyond does the same thing as Ms. Goetz store. They think because you are black you should shop at Walmart or Dollar store, that you can't afford their expensive side rugs grin well that's according to my AA friend grin
Re: Oprah 'suffers Racism' In Zurich Switzerland by kabaka1: 9:07pm On Aug 09, 2013
Diasporan: Same thing happened to my friend here in the US few months back when he went to buy a car worth 80 thousand dollars with a down payment of 40 thousand dollars.The white sales man told him he can't collect the check cause he doubt if a young black man can own such an amount in the bank.It took the intervention of the Sales manager before they accepted the check.Funny enough my friend is a Doctor and in his early 30s who makes a lot of cash.Its quite unfortunate but that is the world we are living in the West.A world filled with racism and going back home to Nigeria you will also be greeted by Tribalism,religious bigotry and nepotism in the length and breadth of the country.

I live in d US & I can fully with way u're saying.
Re: Oprah 'suffers Racism' In Zurich Switzerland by Lucasbalo(m): 9:07pm On Aug 09, 2013
m-ployer:
Dude I am black Nigerian, not even fair in complexion. I don't let sentiments cloud my reasoning.
. U are black and u throwing the N word like that ?. It tells a lot about u. Brainstem.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

"If You Knew My Whole Story, You’d Be Proud Of Me!" - Ray Hushpuppi / Christabel Egbenya Weds Onumajuru In Edo (Photos) / Lovely Pictures Of Singer Victoria Kimani

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 49
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.