Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,350 members, 7,822,653 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 02:29 PM

Prof. Wole Soyinka, Fayemi and others Advocate Yoruba Language Usage In Schools - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Prof. Wole Soyinka, Fayemi and others Advocate Yoruba Language Usage In Schools (1493 Views)

Kayode Fayemi And His Friends In Their Youthful Days / Buhari Introduces His Grandchildren To Fayemi, Amaechi (Photo) / Dr. Kayode Fayemi And Emir Of Kano Sanusi Pictured Together At Airport (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Prof. Wole Soyinka, Fayemi and others Advocate Yoruba Language Usage In Schools by Ayekotoo(m): 8:19am On Aug 09, 2013
Ayekotoo: on August 09, 2013 at 12:55 am in News

Ekiti State Governor,Dr. Kayode Fayemi has renewed his call for the introduction of Yoruba language as a means of education and communication in schools across the South- Western part of Nigeria.
The Governor made the call in Akure, Ondo State capital, yesterday, at the first international conference commemorating the 50th anniversary of the death of foremost indigenous novelist, Daniel Fagunwa.
Supporting his stance, Fayemi said various experiments have shown that students who study in their mother tongue are better equipped. than those taught in a second language.
He added that this was why the promotion of Yoruba language and culture is one of the cardinal elements of the regional integration agenda of the South West states.
“We must admit that everyday Fagunwa’s looming image continues to challenge us as a people. His works continue to remind us that our language is complete and that the Yoruba language must not be left to rot away,” he said. In his remarks, chairman of the occasion and Orangun of Oke Ila, Oba Adedokun Abolarin, said Fagunwa’s books show his brilliance and talents, adding that they are quite useful in legal proceedings on criminal cases.

http://www.vanguardngr.com/2013/08/fayemi-advocates-yoruba-language-usage-in-schools/
Re: Prof. Wole Soyinka, Fayemi and others Advocate Yoruba Language Usage In Schools by Ayekotoo(m): 8:23am On Aug 09, 2013
comments from their Facebook timeline.

Akinsulure Femi
His excellence, sir u're ryt we all support ur
statement, & ur second tim s sure in ekiti state,
am Femi frm Idanre, Ondo state.
Re: Prof. Wole Soyinka, Fayemi and others Advocate Yoruba Language Usage In Schools by Ayekotoo(m): 8:25am On Aug 09, 2013
Regional integration is the Answer.

Re: Prof. Wole Soyinka, Fayemi and others Advocate Yoruba Language Usage In Schools by Tolexander: 8:31am On Aug 09, 2013
Supporting his stance, Fayemi
said various experiments have
shown that students who study
in their mother tongue are better
equipped. than those taught in a
second language.
hun!

lill wonder i became brilliant after leaving the private primary school where we were taught in english and punished for speaking vernacular to public primary school where our teachers taught us in yoruba.
Re: Prof. Wole Soyinka, Fayemi and others Advocate Yoruba Language Usage In Schools by Afam4eva(m): 8:50am On Aug 09, 2013
I support Fayemi in this call. I have always clamored for the introduction of my local languages as a medium for teaching people who don't understand the English language. It's not right that someone has to get acquainted with English before learning anything.

2 Likes

Re: Prof. Wole Soyinka, Fayemi and others Advocate Yoruba Language Usage In Schools by yang(m): 8:54am On Aug 09, 2013
On the list of stupid ideas I have seen, this one is up there.

If u check am well now, none of his children are studying or studied in Nigeria.

Ekiti is very good with education the last time I heard, why would he wanna change that?

2 Likes

Re: Prof. Wole Soyinka, Fayemi and others Advocate Yoruba Language Usage In Schools by Nobody: 9:20am On Aug 09, 2013
I
find it easy to understand difficult topic when i translate the content
of the topic to YORUBA.... And i noticed dat it is more time saving to
read with Y0RUBA.... And the most interesting aspect is... I hardly
forget wen translate a topic to Y0RUBA and Cramme or Memorize it.... I
support this 100%... We just need to Loan new words and necessary Scientific Terminologies from the
needed Language, and thats not a Crime... Almost all languages of the
world, if not all, Loan terms or word from another Language... Already
Y0RUBA is now popular in our Music Industry... Words like 0m0, Omoge,
shebi, etc are now popular terms in 9ja music Industry... Dagrin,
olamide and odas av prove beyond doubt that yoruba is Marketable and
swit in RAPPING... Yoruba Language already have great influence on 9ja
education and 9jaria students that you hardly find a student that dnt
knw the meaning of OLODO, OJORO, ABI, AMEBO etc... We really nid to
Yorubalize our Education in Western Nigeria... I Can't wait to see
CHEMISTRY, PHYSICS, BIOLOGY etc Taught in Yoruba Language... PROUDLY
YORUBA
Re: Prof. Wole Soyinka, Fayemi and others Advocate Yoruba Language Usage In Schools by yunglykmine(m): 9:39am On Aug 09, 2013
Imagine teaching 'English language' as a subject in Yoruba.. Funny, I will say. Indigenous languages should be completely ruled-out in schools. There are better ways to encourage the use of indigenous languages in Nigeria, not in schools plsss your excellency.. My take.
Re: Prof. Wole Soyinka, Fayemi and others Advocate Yoruba Language Usage In Schools by Danhumprey: 9:49am On Aug 09, 2013
Good thing he said it should be taught in the SouthWest. Though,am not against native language(even though,I can't even speak mind),but I think it would complicate somethings.

#just my thought!
Re: Prof. Wole Soyinka, Fayemi and others Advocate Yoruba Language Usage In Schools by Nobody: 10:14am On Aug 09, 2013
Ayekotoo: Regional integration is the Answer.
True .
Re: Prof. Wole Soyinka, Fayemi and others Advocate Yoruba Language Usage In Schools by bloggernaija: 10:25am On Aug 09, 2013
Supported,especially in view of the recent brouhaha.
All kids must be taught yoruba history ,literature and language in school.
Re: Prof. Wole Soyinka, Fayemi and others Advocate Yoruba Language Usage In Schools by OCTAVO: 1:24pm On Aug 09, 2013
Re: Prof. Wole Soyinka, Fayemi and others Advocate Yoruba Language Usage In Schools by OCTAVO: 1:26pm On Aug 09, 2013
bloggernaija: Supported,especially in view of the recent brouhaha.
All kids must be taught yoruba history ,literature and language in school.

https://www.nairaland.com/1268627/raising-child-speak-english-nigeria
Re: Prof. Wole Soyinka, Fayemi and others Advocate Yoruba Language Usage In Schools by Ayekotoo(m): 1:33pm On Aug 09, 2013
Ayekotoo: 2013-08-08 23:37:56
Nobel Laureate, Prof. Wole Soyinka, the
Minister of Culture, Edem Duke, Ondo State
Governor, Dr. Olusegun Mimiko and his Ekiti
State counterpart, Dr. Kayode Fayemi, on
Thursday, tasked Nigerians with the promotion
and preservation of indigenous languages in
the country.
They said since languages were part of the
culture of the people, efforts should be made
to ensure that they do not go into extinction.
They spoke at an international conference to
mark the 50th anniversary of the death of the
Yoruba literary icon, the late Chief Daniel
Olorunfemi Fagunwa.
Mimiko said there was the need to encourage
the use of mother tongue and the
development of the culture of the people.
He said the state government had
recommended the use of Fagunwa's works in
secondary schools across the state, saying the
books were capable of preserving Yoruba
language and culture.
He noted that many Nigerian authors had
contributed to the socio-economic
development of the country and should
therefore be celebrated.
Fayemi also noted that the contributions and
impact of Fagunwa's poetry prowess could not
be over emphasised.
He said efforts should be made to ensure that
indigenous languages were not allowed to die
in the country.
According to him, there is the need for
government to preserve the culture of the
people, adding that language was part of the
culture of the people.
The minister, however, said the Federal
Government had commenced the process of
teaching of indigenous languages across the
country.
He said the ministry was ready to ensure the
preservation of the culture of the various
ethnic groups in the country.

http://punchng.mobi/output.php?link=http://www.punchng.com/entertainment/arts-life/soyinka-govs-canvass-development-of-indigenous-languages/
Re: Prof. Wole Soyinka, Fayemi and others Advocate Yoruba Language Usage In Schools by abu12: 1:59pm On Aug 09, 2013
Good idea they should use yoruba to teach most especially science subject in school #just like china things#. But what about non-yoruba speaking people in SW
Re: Prof. Wole Soyinka, Fayemi and others Advocate Yoruba Language Usage In Schools by Afam4eva(m): 2:04pm On Aug 09, 2013
abu12: Good idea they should use yoruba to teach most especially science subject in school #just like china things#. But what about non-yoruba speaking people in SW
The English schools will remain. They can just add Yoruba schools and also schools of other ethnicity in different parts of the country.
Re: Prof. Wole Soyinka, Fayemi and others Advocate Yoruba Language Usage In Schools by Yorubest: 2:24pm On Aug 09, 2013
Afam4eva:
The English schools will remain. They can just add Yoruba schools and also schools of other ethnicity in different parts of the country.

What is this one saying? How can there be separate schools for that?

What I believe will work is that schools should be taught Yoruba Language just like English Language is taught in schools. There should also be a subject called Yoruba literature, just like English literature to promote the language. Pupils and Students can take part in drama sketches all in Yoruba.

The subject, Yoruba Language, should also be a prerequisite or at least give some advantage in gaining admission into universities in the SW

Yoruba Language is a beautiful language and is the most documented Nigerian language today with several books, audio recordings and movies etc in the language which is enough content to support the Yoruba Literature as a subject in schools

1 Like

Re: Prof. Wole Soyinka, Fayemi and others Advocate Yoruba Language Usage In Schools by Onyegecha(f): 5:01pm On Aug 09, 2013
yunglykmine: Imagine teaching 'English language' as a subject in Yoruba.. Funny, I will say. Indigenous languages should be completely ruled-out in schools. There are better ways to encourage the use of indigenous languages in Nigeria, not in schools plsss your excellency.. My take.

Never heard anything so stupid. People who reason this way should please keep their pallid opinions away when issues of great importance are discussed. why can't English language be taught in Yoruba, Igbo or Hausa? Is any language superior to the other? Time to rid ourselves of these colonial ideas.

1 Like

Re: Prof. Wole Soyinka, Fayemi and others Advocate Yoruba Language Usage In Schools by OCTAVO: 5:12pm On Aug 09, 2013
Onyegecha:

Never heard anything so stupid. People who reason this way should please keep their pallid opinions away when issues of great importance are discussed. why can't English language be taught in Yoruba, Igbo or Hausa? Is any language superior to the other? Time to rid ourselves of these colonial ideas.
A thousand likes!!!
Re: Prof. Wole Soyinka, Fayemi and others Advocate Yoruba Language Usage In Schools by Modupeadesina: 9:49pm On Aug 11, 2014
We must do something about our dying Yoruba language now. Many of our young ones showing interest can hardly get good books to teach the language. Writers in Yoruba must come out with books that will explain many of the Yoruba words, sentences and phrases of the Yoruba language. Some presenters on radio and television, theatre art practitioners should do their home work well before presentation of their programmes and films. Those who have the intention to teach our young ones should try and interpret into English some of their works so that many can understand. A book titled 'Akojopo Eedegbaaje Owe Ati Asayan Oro Yoruba (Compilation Of 13,000 Yoruba Proverbs & Wise Sayings) is a good one but requires interpretation to help its readers. Governments of the Yoruba extraction must bring the stakeholders together to look into how to really solve this problem of our dying language and culture. Language, custom and culture are very strong unifying factors all over the world.

(1) (Reply)

Rochas Okorochas' Cabinet-less Imo!!! / How I Was Lured Into Baraje Led Pdp Faction -- Atiku / Two Friends Hit Bet9ja Jackpot, Use N400 To Win N8m

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 97
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.