Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,161,267 members, 7,846,253 topics. Date: Friday, 31 May 2024 at 12:50 PM

A Newbie Need Your Advice. - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / A Newbie Need Your Advice. (746 Views)

Need Your Advice, German Or Japanese Car? / I Need Your Advice Please! Best SUV To Buy In Nigeria / Honda Accord 1997(academy) Vs Toyota Camry 1998(tiny Light)? Please, Your Advice (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

A Newbie Need Your Advice. by Nobody: 8:38am On Aug 09, 2013
I was opportune to have a small car to start with. Its a golf3 car. But I know nothing about cars. I need help on what to be doing to manage the car. I also want to know if a golf3 car is has a low maintenance cost. There was an inscription in the engine 'DOHC' please I need to know how I can be maintainmai it. What are the routing maintenance checks, when, what to do.
Below are the pics

Re: A Newbie Need Your Advice. by redcliff: 8:59am On Aug 09, 2013
Hello friend, there are series of questions that need to be answered before help can be proferred to you. Judging from the pics, its a Nigerian used car right?

1. What year is d model?
2. Hw many miles or km has it done?
3. Did you know the prvious owner and the history of the car?
4. Does it has climate control (AC).
5. Have you done a normal routine engine maintenance on after buying it? E.g, oil change, oil filter, fuel filter.
6. Does it have its thermostat still on. How to find out is if the fan picks up immediately the car starts.

Subsequent questions would arise in the course of our intereaction.

Nb: DOHC dual-overhead-cam engine. I'l like to think its an improvement on SOHC where S-represents single. So its an upgrade so to speak.
Re: A Newbie Need Your Advice. by Nobody: 11:36am On Aug 09, 2013
Thanks redcliff:
The previous owner is my auty.
The model year is 1995.
The ac is still intact and working.
The thermostat is working.
I'm not sure about the mileage.but it's like 200000+
I learnt that it was just serviced.
This is all I know.
Please anything i need to know about the engine.
Thanks.
Re: A Newbie Need Your Advice. by redcliff: 5:07pm On Aug 09, 2013
Okay, let me try to be as comprehensive as possible. This is me being primp here.

Firstly, I'm sure since when your aunt started using it she has not changed the airfilter. Its the big black box that has a pipe connected to the injector. Its not a hard thing to do. Unclip it from its sitting look at the filter to see if its dirty, if its not leave it, if it is, I suggest you should change it. It filters the air that comes into the engine and allows for proper air/fuel mixture. How to know there is proper air/fuel mixture in the combustion chamber is that your exhaust emitts water when u start your engine.

Look at the brake fluid canister what's the instruction on the cover? Does it say DOT4 fluid only? Most golf 3s require DOT4 fulid but its pretty scarce and most people use DOT3 and because its not manufacturer recommended the brake becomes spongy sometimes. Does it have ABS? If you need the DOT4 fluid, I can recommend where to get from.

Also, the radiator, is it only water your aunt used to use in it? If no, ask her what radiator coolant she used so u can continue using same by topping when you need to. If she uses water, I'l advice you go to the service manual (if any) to look for manufacturer specified coolant to use. Before then u need to drain out all the water and start a new history of recommended radiator coolant.

What's your driving pattern like? Are you a regular driver or you drive less often. On an average how many KM do you cover a day. That would determine how often you should service your engine.. That consists of mainly fuel filter,oil and oil filter change.

Always be there when you want any job done on your car because mechanics could be funny and if you notice any fault, its adviceable to look it up online properly before taking it to a mechanic garage.

And if you can please wash that engine of yours. It lookd pretty muddy. And you have to be careful about it and don't let them use pressure washer to do it. It should be done manually. Cover your coil, alternator, injector and distributor housing properly with polythene bag. If possible, do it yourself to ensure water doesn't have any chance of getting into these delicate parts when they are in the process of washing it.

Is it manual or automatic? If its manual please have them check your gear oil. Its really important because most people do not know a manual tranny uses gear oil. Take it to a mech shop to help you check it. Sometimes people just drive it that way without oil and you know what that means when a mechanism of such needs lubrication..if its auto, I'l like to believe the power steering canister also works for the transmission. I'm not sure of that because I haven't seen the hood of an auto golf3 before. Ask your aunt when last she changed the fluid. You can do that too.

The reason I made this detailed is so that the car has a new history with you...I'l post under of the hood of mine for you to see..
Re: A Newbie Need Your Advice. by Nobody: 7:48pm On Aug 09, 2013
Thanks so for the information. I will inquire about all that you say. But if there are still other thing to know about it please do let me know. And on issue of my driving pattern, I am still a novice in driving.
Looking forward to hear more from you.
Thanks.
Re: A Newbie Need Your Advice. by redcliff: 9:14pm On Aug 09, 2013
ibrodex: Thanks so for the information. I will inquire about all that you say. But if there are still other thing to know about it please do let me know. And on issue of my driving pattern, I am still a novice in driving.
Looking forward to hear more from you.
Thanks.

You did not specify what transmission you have. If its manual or Auto. Is it a car you would be driving every day and how many KM would you cover? A normal driver who just goes to work and back in the evening and light outings on weekends should service every two months. atleast.
Re: A Newbie Need Your Advice. by Nobody: 8:56am On Aug 12, 2013
Thanks so far at redcliff: I live arround ojuelegba axis and work in maryland. The car is a manual transmission. I don't normally go out, at times I'm in doors though out the weekends.
Re: A Newbie Need Your Advice. by redcliff: 2:17pm On Aug 12, 2013
ibrodex: Thanks so far at redcliff: I live arround ojuelegba axis and work in maryland. The car is a manual transmission. I don't normally go out, at times I'm in doors though out the weekends.

that's less than 20km to and fro everyday..You can service the engine every two months. This includes oil change, oil filter change and fuel filter change. You are good to go..

(1) (Reply)

Help! / I Have A 2008 Honda Pilot, I Had To Change My Battery. Radio Code Needed Please / Found Yourself Wondering What A Warning Light On Your Dashboard Means?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 25
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.