Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,548 members, 7,812,752 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 06:43 PM

...shadows Of Death... - Literature (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / ...shadows Of Death... (4174 Views)

SHADOWS: A published legal & crime NOVEL by a NAIRALANDER / Lost but Satisfied / Shadows From The Past....[The Past Came Haunting]-- A Short Story. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: ...shadows Of Death... by beyonDskygirl(f): 10:07pm On Sep 10, 2013
gameboy727: Owkay. No qualms since we've known you reasons. Hope the personal issues have been resolved?
yea. Upadates tins on the way..
Re: ...shadows Of Death... by gameboy727(m): 11:04pm On Sep 10, 2013
beyonDskygirl: yea. Upadates tins on the way..
patiently waiting dear.
Re: ...shadows Of Death... by beyonDskygirl(f): 12:27am On Sep 12, 2013
CHAPTERTHREE

"The evidence that is here, shows that you miss Jessica Onde, is guilty of the murder of the late Senator A.I James on the 24th of March 2013. Therefore, by the power vested upon me and in the accordance of the law, I hereby sentenced you to death by hanging..." C-O-U-R-T!..

My mouth went dry. I could see faintly the images of Senator James family- his beautiful wife and his pretty children-each of them, raining abuses on me. Words like "LovePeddler! Prostitude! Husband snatcher! Flew across my face with different speed. A man whom i could not make name out of his face spat on me and said:
"The evil that men do, lives with them an not after them".

"So this was it". I said to myself as the policemen grabbed my hands and handcuffed them.

"I am not guilty!" I shouted with all my strength. I could not just die for what i did not do.

"I am not guilty!" I screamed again.

"I was framed!" I tried talking to one of the policemen but recieved a heavy slap across my face.
I turned my face as I was half dragged just to see Ada slipping away.

"Ada wait! "I said struggling with the handcuffs.

"Explain this to them Ada. Somebody help me please. I am not guilty." i was shouting.But it was too late. I saw Ada brought out a gun and aimed it at me..." Miss Jessica you have to remain silent. Goodbye".. And she pulled the trigger.
Noooooooo!!

I jerked out of the bed throwing the blanket away. Oh my! It was a dream. I glanced at the bedside clock, it was 7:36 am. I got down from the bed and dragged my poor body to the bathroom.

"You must be down with malaria. Come over here sweety let me feel your body tempreature". She advanced towards me with supressed laughter and ' mock' seriousness feeling my neck with the back of her palms.

"you mean I shot you eh?"

Angela could not hold back any longer as laughter erupted from her and Ada and echoed through the four corners of the office. Ada covered her face with her palms as her body shook with laugther.

I sighed feeling relaxed. These ladies here really knew how to make fun of somebody. I came to the office today terrified that I would be caught by the police but here i am laughing heartily with two people who had changed my life for better.

"Oh girl you funny o!" Angela said amidst laughter.

"Oh please spare me" I said smiling.
"you won't blame me will you?"

"of course not. But to think you were freaked out because of an ordinary dream ? Hmmmm...."

"And to think that I actually held a gun"... Ada said micmicking a gun with her hands. "now miss Jessica Onde you are death.. Poooh!"

angela was alredy rolling on the floor with laughter.

"Don't worry dear" I have taken care of the police".

"Are you serious?"

"yea.Angela did a good job".

"Oh Ange thanks a lot"

"Never mind dearie. Anything for you. They actually came earlier this morning asking for you and I gave them enough alibi to keep them off your back we all knew you're innocent."

"Thanks so much I owe you my life." I said hugging her.

The girl was really an angel indeed for saving my life. I watched her rose from her seat shifting a strand of hair which had came loose and was covering part of her left eye.

"See you around" she said as her hand rested on the door handle. She made to go but turned and said:
"Jess?"

"yes?"

"Don't forget to take malaria tablet tonight." she winked at Ada who seconded her with a "yes" and disappeared.

1 Like

Re: ...shadows Of Death... by Wesslier(m): 11:32am On Sep 12, 2013
I was almost scared b4 i discovered it was a dream... welcom bak
Re: ...shadows Of Death... by beyonDskygirl(f): 12:52pm On Sep 12, 2013
Wesslier: I was almost scared b4 i discovered it was a dream... welcom bak
Thanks dear.
Re: ...shadows Of Death... by beyonDskygirl(f): 11:15pm On Sep 12, 2013
""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""

"Goodmorning ma'am. Please in which of the building is theMinistry of Truth located? I have an appointment with the Managing Director".

I raised my head from my handbag where I have been searching frantically for my car keys. I had been sent by my boss to meet someone Ada's restaurant who claimed to have some information for the company but the car keys just disappeared from my bag without a trace and all my effort to find the bunch proved futile. I was planning on pouring the whole content of the bag on top of the car when I heard the voice, and who the hell will ask me that foolish question? Did he not see the security guards?.

I searched around for the security men ignoring the person beside me but i found none of them in sight.

I turned to look at him my face clearly showing annoyance only to see him smiling back at me. His smile was infectious. peharps it was because of his white dazling teeth or his neatly ironed blue shirt with a well knotted red tie that matched his shoe.

"I'm sorry but I did not see anyone here apart from you". He said as if he read my mind.

Oddly enough, I found myself smiling back at him. Dammed! I was not supposed to smile to strangers. Who knows if he was from the police?.

The thought of "the police" brought my dream flying back to my mind. I frowned.

"Look " I said almost snappingly.

" Who are you? And what do you want from the ministry of Truth?".

My voice really through his skin cause I saw him hesitate before replying.

"Erm... I ...... My name is Martins ma. Martins Ebitimi he stammered.

"So what do you want Mr martins?" i said in the same tone not minding the effect it was having on the young man. We have been told not to give out any information to an outsider unless we were sure if he or she belongs.

"I actually was told by the M.D of the ministry of Truth to apply for a job here"

"Oh!.. I said. How stupid of me to think the young man was a ' harmful pest'.

I smiled at him as he tried to avoid my gaze. I could bet I scared the pants off the young man because he was shaking from head to toes.

" you are seeking for a job?". I said more to myself than to the young man but he heard me for he nodded.

" yes ma'am"

"Okay. Just go to the green building over there and ask of Mr Tunde Adebayo".

"Alright. Thanks ma'am. He extended his hands which i took into mine.

"You're welcome" i said and he hurried away.

"Nice chap isn't he?"a voice said beside me.

I had been engrossed watching the retreating figure tha i had not realised when he walked up to me.

I turned to see the gardener.

"Hey" I smiled at him.

"uh...uh. What did the guy want?

"An applicant".

" Doesn't look like one". He said picking his teeth.

" what do you mean?"

" don't really know. I guess he has the looks of an F.B.I"

"Haaba mr Gardener,
you are judging by physical appearance"

"Never mind. Just guessing". He winked at me and went back to his post.

I wondered if mr Gardener was just a gardener or he was a spy too cause his nose seemed to be everywhere.

Just then my phone rang revealing Ada on the caller Id.

"Hello?".

"The visitor is waiting".

Gosh! I have forgotten that i was on a misson. I dug my hands back into my bag. This time around, the missing keys appeared without much a do.

I quickly jumped into the driver's seat, made a U-turn and zoomed off..
Re: ...shadows Of Death... by beyonDskygirl(f): 11:15pm On Sep 12, 2013
""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""

"Goodmorning ma'am. Please in which of the building is theMinistry of Truth located? I have an appointment with the Managing Director".

I raised my head from my handbag where I have been searching frantically for my car keys. I had been sent by my boss to meet someone Ada's restaurant who claimed to have some information for the company but the car keys just disappeared from my bag without a trace and all my effort to find the bunch proved futile. I was planning on pouring the whole content of the bag on top of the car when I heard the voice, and who the hell will ask me that foolish question? Did he not see the security guards?.

I searched around for the security men ignoring the person beside me but i found none of them in sight.

I turned to look at him my face clearly showing annoyance only to see him smiling back at me. His smile was infectious. peharps it was because of his white dazling teeth or his neatly ironed blue shirt with a well knotted red tie that matched his shoe.

"I'm sorry but I did not see anyone here apart from you". He said as if he read my mind.

Oddly enough, I found myself smiling back at him. Dammed! I was not supposed to smile to strangers. Who knows if he was from the police?.

The thought of "the police" brought my dream flying back to my mind. I frowned.

"Look " I said almost snappingly.

" Who are you? And what do you want from the ministry of Truth?".

My voice really through his skin cause I saw him hesitate before replying.

"Erm... I ...... My name is Martins ma. Martins Ebitimi he stammered.

"So what do you want Mr martins?" i said in the same tone not minding the effect it was having on the young man. We have been told not to give out any information to an outsider unless we were sure if he or she belongs.

"I actually was told by the M.D of the ministry of Truth to apply for a job here"

"Oh!.. I said. How stupid of me to think the young man was a ' harmful pest'.

I smiled at him as he tried to avoid my gaze. I could bet I scared the pants off the young man because he was shaking from head to toes.

" you are seeking for a job?". I said more to myself than to the young man but he heard me for he nodded.

" yes ma'am"

"Okay. Just go to the green building over there and ask of Mr Tunde Adebayo".

"Alright. Thanks ma'am. He extended his hands which i took into mine.

"You're welcome" i said and he hurried away.

"Nice chap isn't he?"a voice said beside me.

I had been engrossed watching the retreating figure tha i had not realised when he walked up to me.

I turned to see the gardener.

"Hey" I smiled at him.

"uh...uh. What did the guy want?

"An applicant".

" Doesn't look like one". He said picking his teeth.

" what do you mean?"

" don't really know. I guess he has the looks of an F.B.I"

"Haaba mr Gardener,
you are judging by physical appearance"

"Never mind. Just guessing". He winked at me and went back to his post.

I wondered if mr Gardener was just a gardener or he was a spy too cause his nose seemed to be everywhere.

Just then my phone rang revealing Ada on the caller Id.

"Hello?".

"The visitor is waiting".

Gosh! I have forgotten that i was on a misson. I dug my hands back into my bag. This time around, the missing keys appeared without much a do.

I quickly jumped into the driver's seat, made a U-turn and zoomed off..
Re: ...shadows Of Death... by Wesslier(m): 2:57am On Sep 13, 2013
Check if u can change dat "truth" to smtin else say environment. Den the key disappeared from not into, u get? Den continue...
Re: ...shadows Of Death... by beyonDskygirl(f): 8:00am On Sep 13, 2013
Wesslier: Check if u can change dat "truth" to smtin else say environment. Den the key disappeared from not into, u get? Den continue...
Done. Thanks dear but i left the 'truth' since the company appears to be religiously inclined to the outside viewers what do you say?
Re: ...shadows Of Death... by beyonDskygirl(f): 12:57am On Sep 27, 2013
The arrangement with Chief Eze had gone well. I had already packed my bags though i was not interested about the whole deal. But who was i to counter the boss order?. I have of recently, wondered what this organisation was all about. Despite what Angela and Ada made me to believe, i still had some nagging feelings that there were more to it.

Why would an organisation that was meant to protect the walfare of people be a secret? Why would her workers be denied the freedoom to express their feelings on any mission they went? And then, who was the overall boss since Angela said it was not the lady on the telescreen?

Also, i was warned by Moses not to trespass into a a particular black and yellow painted building. My curiosity increased the day i spotted Ada entering the same building. All this questions was bothering me and i needed the right answers. But i had to complete my mission to France first then i will get answers once i'm back.

Then i thought of Angela. The girl was simple minded. Although she was smart, i think she was ignorant of the affairs of the organisation. Or? Did she know about the forbidden building? I decided to ask her later. Right now i was concentrating on the mission to France.

I was becoming tired of all this 'travelling' and 'mission' stuff because there was always a price to pay at the end and i was not glad about it. Though my accounts always got filled at each end, i knew my life was not fulfiled.

After the death of the senotor, i have not been able to live a free life. I felt that somehow, his death was connected to me.

My siblings back home, was also doing great. Money was no longer a headache and i was glad until Uche my younger brother called to tell me of their decision to spend their next holiday with me here in Lagos.

I could not refuse their request and once they arrives, they will certainly know my lifestyle. There would be no way to hide it from them.

Then an idea struck me.

I will resign from my job.

I will do that once i'm back from France. Even if i did not see any work again, i had enough money to care for my people. I can start a buisness probably a super market. Then i will be free finally. But first i will satisfy my curiousity of understanding the mystery behind the organisation. I smiled for the first time since that morning.
Ada would understand.

She would not expect me to continue the work when i have two 'Sherlock Holmes' at home with me.

She had to understand.
I smiled again feeling relaxed.

"So when are you going to France?"it was Angela.

"next week" i said without looking up from my diary where i have been writting down my plans.

"Hmmm." she said drawing closer. "I guess you can't wait". She beamed.

"can't wait for what?" i said finally raising my head from the dairy. My voice was a little bit high.

She frowned.

"Jess are you okay?".

I suddenly knew my face showed my feelings about the travel.

I faked a smile.

"I'm fine". I said.

"but you don't look fine!" she argued.

It was obvious she was still worried about me. I tried to change the subject. Glancing at her, i saw that she wore a pair black tailored trousers with a pink top that fitted her body. She was
looking great. I smiled this time (it was geniue).

"Ange" i said " your top is nice.

"Thanks" she said and added " I bought it in Paris."

I laughed when i realised the direction of her statment,

" so enjoy yourself". She said with a mischievous grin.

I suddenly knew i was going to miss her once i resign from the organisation.
Re: ...shadows Of Death... by beyonDskygirl(f): 2:59pm On Sep 29, 2013
"So you will be travelling next week". I heard the voice. It was deep and almost sad i would say.
I was at my doorstep already tired from the day's activities. I half turned, my hand was resting on the door knob of my apartment.

"Martins!" i exclaimed. I was not aware that he knew my apartment.

"What are you doing here and how did you know my house?". I had to ask. Though we became friends from the time he got a job in the company, our friendship which i knew so far, does not exisit outside the walls of the company.

"Hi" he replied. "I followed you all the way here. Don't tell me i've been careful enough for you not to notice the black toyota camry behind you" he said adjusting the colar of his shirt. He was good looking enough to turn any girl's head but not Jessica's.(i've got antidote against them).

He was the type you would call 'prince charming' he had the right things in their right places, the right height, pointed nose, hazel eyes-those eyes that can bore deep into your heart revealing every secret that you hid there. I shifted my gaze to his car.

"Oh that car?" i said pointing towards where it was parked.

"Yes" he said grining. It was infectious cause i found myself doing the same.

"Actually i saw it but it never bothered me." i said turning the door knob.

"Can i come in?" he was still outside.

"Sure". I said as i entered the house. There was no harm in having a collegue in my house or was there? I looked at him as he made his way towards one of the cushion chairs, the guy doesn't look like someone who would bite.

"Welcome to my humble quarter" i said droping my bag on the table.

"So what can i offer you? wine?, food, juice...''

''water" he said.

"What?"

"Just a glass of water please". He was looking everywhere but at me.
The guy was playing gentleman. I smiled. I knew how to get him.

"Martins are you scared of me or what? I said frowing. Now it was his turn to be confused.

"What do you mean by that?"

"Erm.. Maybe you think i might poison you". I said maintaining a straight face.

He laughed revealing a perfect white teeth. There were dimples at each side of his cheeks.

"Not really ma'am" he said . "I was just being nice".

"So?".

''Alright he said smiling "cocktail drink with ice please".

I smiled back and went towards my fridge.

"Nice place you have here". He said as i handed him the drink.

"Thanks." i said and proceeded to my room to drop my bag as i picked it from the top of the table where i left it. I came out later to see him admiring my souvenir. It was the drawing of an ancient stool which i bought from Cape Coast. The stool was said to have appeared from heaven and was given to the chief priest or whatever. (you know those old folklores stories which most of them never existed i never believed it). I just bought the thing because of its beauty.

"So what brought you to my humble abode?" i said sitting down.

"Erm.. I'm your personal security".

"Personal security?" i exclaimed. I was afraid and angry at the same time. Afraid because i thought that the company might have found out about my plans and had sent him to spy on me by being my personal security. Angry that they did not send a security when i needed it most.

I looked at his face but it was neutral.

"I-I was not supposed to tell you".
There it goes again. He was not supposed to tell me. Was this a trick or what? I wanted to ask but it seemed he read my mind for he shook his head and said;

" Its the truth".

Then why are you telling me, don't you know its risky?".

"I know but i can't guard you without you knowing". He stood up.

"I guess i have to go thanks for the drink."
"wait!". There was something wanted to tell me but couldn't bring himself to. I had to make him to talk.
I searched for words,(where the hell were those words that conveys human feelings?) i went closer to him. Starring at him. Eye to eye.

"Tell me i said".

He blinked and shooked his head.

"We need to talk Jessica". His voice was a mere wisper and he had called me Jessica for the first time and also he was curious and scared just as i was.

We cant talk now. Perhaps when your're back from France he said and made for the door. "take care of yourself" and he was gone.

I sat there confused more than before. The look i saw on Martins face came back to me. He was hiding something and he was scared to talk. I saw the way he looked around as if there were unseen elements waiting to strike if he talked.

I ran my fingers through my hair and that moment i wished i had not started it all.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Résumé, Étude et Analyse de Chaque Chose En Son Temps De Lynn Mbuko / The Vipers Girl / Where To Find Free Articles And Ebooks For Your Improvement And Pleasure

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 62
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.