Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,299 members, 7,954,194 topics. Date: Friday, 20 September 2024 at 01:57 PM

Jonathan Is An Unserious President - Bisi Akande - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Jonathan Is An Unserious President - Bisi Akande (17008 Views)

Bisi Alimi Slams Senators Behind Anti Same Sex Bill (Photo) / Saraki's Victory Is Northern Conspiracy Agains Yoruba-bisi Akande Blasts / APC Has Been Registered - Bisi Akande (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Jonathan Is An Unserious President - Bisi Akande by Xtana: 11:15am On Aug 13, 2013
Going by Akande's age SENILE DEMENTIA is not unexpected and ALZHEIMER Disease must also be considered as possible causes of his unguarded utterances
Re: Jonathan Is An Unserious President - Bisi Akande by samuelajang: 11:15am On Aug 13, 2013
God has stamp, this fortune name goog luck. Therefore, if u want to be the next president, then change ur name to goodluck. Not buhari or wat eva, because badluck can neva be the president of nation.
Re: Jonathan Is An Unserious President - Bisi Akande by ballabriggs: 11:18am On Aug 13, 2013
HNosegbe:

Honestly I'm quite disappointed (as an individual leaning towards the APC) in Bisi Akande for making a statement like this.

It's quite unstatesmanlike to call a sitting president a "kindergarten" leader. It smacks of pettiness, small-mindedness and sheer banality to call people names rather than address the key institutional and foundational problems Nigeria faces.

A true statesman rises above petty politics of name-calling and vindictive vituperation, and presents himself as a solution provider and bridge builder.

Calling Bisi Akande a "statesman" is an abuse of that word, and all those truly deserving of it.

Have you heard Ed Miliband call David Cameron "clueless and incompetent"? Have you heard him call Cameron a "downgraded Prime Minister"?

If Jonathan and his aides are daft enough to think calling him a "kindergarten leader" is an insult, then so be it. They tell them they are unserious and they keep showing us how true it is.
Re: Jonathan Is An Unserious President - Bisi Akande by judedwriter(m): 11:20am On Aug 13, 2013
NAIJA, a nation bedeviled with all kinds of socio-economic problems dat make us a laughing stock and governed by a confused president who is still trying in vain to solve d nation's woes.
Re: Jonathan Is An Unserious President - Bisi Akande by Nobody: 11:23am On Aug 13, 2013
ballabriggs:

Have you heard Ed Miliband call David Cameron "clueless and incompetent"? Have you heard him call Cameron a "downgraded Prime Minister"?

If Jonathan and his aides are daft enough to think calling him a "kindergarten leader" is an insult, then so be it. They tell them they are unserious and they keep showing us how true it is.

And when did the UK become a perfect model for democratic practice?
Re: Jonathan Is An Unserious President - Bisi Akande by ballabriggs: 11:28am On Aug 13, 2013
HNosegbe:

And when did the UK become a perfect model for democratic practice?

Oya Mr biko explain what a "perfect model" for democratic practice is?
Re: Jonathan Is An Unserious President - Bisi Akande by kunyeo(m): 11:31am On Aug 13, 2013
He definitely makes a lot of sense.Jonathan holds a public position in trust for all of us and not for his family.Has Jonathan done anything for any one to defend him? Power supply remains poor and fight of curruption remains comatose.
Re: Jonathan Is An Unserious President - Bisi Akande by Nobody: 11:36am On Aug 13, 2013
ballabriggs:

Oya Mr biko explain what a "perfect model" for democratic practice is?

Typical Nigerian. Answering a question with another one.

My point is the fact that Ed Miliband did it doesn't make it right.
Re: Jonathan Is An Unserious President - Bisi Akande by ballabriggs: 11:40am On Aug 13, 2013
HNosegbe:

Typical Nigerian. Answering a question with another one.

My point is the fact that Ed Miliband did it doesn't make it right.

Perfectly right, it is not an insult but a criticism. It adds to the strength of debates. To say one is a kindergarten leader is akin to saying he's a mediocre. It is not name calling and it is also not an insult except you have a problem with the use of the language.

You are the one that has questioned the democratic practice in the UK and I see no problem in the way parliamentary debates are conducted. If you have any problem with parliamentary sessions in the UK, please kindly advise.

1 Like

Re: Jonathan Is An Unserious President - Bisi Akande by luvinhubby(m): 11:43am On Aug 13, 2013
mistybravo:
What? That man you called a fool is old enough to be your grand-daddy. How come you guys lack culture?
And the man he called a kid is the head of the state of his citizenship, Akande is a bigger fool for calling his president a kid.
Re: Jonathan Is An Unserious President - Bisi Akande by Lordlexy: 11:45am On Aug 13, 2013
US-DRONE:
sir, with due respect, how are we (Nigerians) sure you are not saying these things out of your own personal and selfish intereset? You said you had two meetings with him since 2011, How are we sure the meeting Agenda is not for some personal contracts or political appointments? You are an Elder for goodness sake, you've just critisized our sitting President without comming up with suggestions that could bring solutions to our current predicaments as a nation. We already know we have numerous problems which affects almost all sectors within the Nation but the last thing we need now is destructive criticism. We need SOLUTION Baba, Good SUGGESTIONS Baba, Elderly ADVICE Baba. Haba Baba, see Nigeria as your family where you are at the top, look down from above and find solution for your children. AVIOD CONDEMNATION
The steady decline and degredation of the nationhood has giving occation for concern and the attendance bashing which could have been avoided provided the president had tactically utilised the goodwill and resources at his disposal. Recommendation to the Presidency especially that of Nuhu Ribadu committee like someone said had fallen on deaf ears or had been wave aside hence making mockry of that diligent report. This and many more are some of the sins of the president which ordinary will tempt any discerning mind to question the rationale behind the credibility of the President and his handling of the nations affair. When young men wakes up to insult critics of the President, it moves me to tears, because these ppl for whatever reasons, are actualy displaying the very bad trait or feature of these leaders of see no evil and say no evil.
Re: Jonathan Is An Unserious President - Bisi Akande by Melancholy(m): 11:47am On Aug 13, 2013
Akande note this,PDP is the problem not GEJ
Re: Jonathan Is An Unserious President - Bisi Akande by Lordlexy: 12:03pm On Aug 13, 2013
Melancholy: Akande note this,PDP is the problem not GEJ
A person is incompetent as his party. You cannot rise above the values, standards and principles of your party. Gej is a product of the standard of his party -pdp.
Re: Jonathan Is An Unserious President - Bisi Akande by Gbawe: 12:03pm On Aug 13, 2013
HNosegbe:

Honestly I'm quite disappointed (as an individual leaning towards the APC) in Bisi Akande for making a statement like this.

It's quite unstatesmanlike to call a sitting president a "kindergarten" leader. It smacks of pettiness, small-mindedness and sheer banality to call people names rather than address the key institutional and foundational problems Nigeria faces.

A true statesman rises above petty politics of name-calling and vindictive vituperation, and presents himself as a solution provider and bridge builder.

Calling Bisi Akande a "statesman" is an abuse of that word, and all those truly deserving of it.

Look, it is the lack of political sophistication of Nigerians that has even led to this conversation me and you are having to begin with. How many nations of the world do you know where suffering followers back leaders who are acting with impunity and worsening the plight of the majority? Do you know how many experts home and abroad have proclaimed that Nigeria can never develop devoting majority of its earnings to recurrent expenditure ?

Now what do you expect a serious President to do in regard to this fundamentally odious problem? Does he (1) initiate cuts and reforms that can reposition Nigeria and turn around the deplorable situation where she spends a majority of her earnings opulently maintaining those connected with governance and politics or (2) should he announce nonchalantly that "leaner government not possible"? I.e an announcement tantamount to GEJ disclosing that the solution to another major national woe is one he is not even willing to contemplate?

How many non-Nigerian citizens worldwide do you think will back GEJ to choose option 2 when they are used to serious leaders who bravely accept and implement direct solutions to serious problems? Yet your President, to the disgrace of Nigeria, chose option 2 and you, one of those being misled and will have children who will be in similar 'captivity' if the likes of GEJ continue to lead, think Akande is "name-calling" !!!!! What respect does GEJ deserve for doing, on many occasions, the opposite of what will deliver the solutions to preserve and uplift the lives of millions?

Come on dude. I would like to believe you are intelligent and knows what obtains beyond Nigeria to appreciate that Akande is even being typically docile in the Nigerian sense with his choice of words. GEJ would receive far more than harsh words were even 10% of Nigerians as politically sophisticated as they should be.

Read the article below and consider again whether Akande is "name calling" or whether you are just guilty of what the author says about Nigeria and Nigerians perhaps because she comes from a place where glaring incompetence, whoever is guilty of such, is not tolerated let alone praised or exalted with flowery sycophancy. Is Jonathan our servant or master? The few who can make the proper distinction are those who know that Jonathan and his ilk have it very, very easy in Nigeria which, in comparison to many others, is a "throwback" nation.

http://saharareporters.com/article/femke-becomes-funke-celebrating-mediocrity-nigeria-femke-van-zeijl?page=2

1 Like

Re: Jonathan Is An Unserious President - Bisi Akande by tayork(m): 12:11pm On Aug 13, 2013
WHAT ¶. KNOW Iڪ THAT ALL ​​​​MƳ VOTE NEXT YEAR iIS FØ̲̣̣Я̅ ACN......THAT ALL,we sweeping all †ђξ party away with our broomWHAT ¶. KNOW Iڪ THAT ALL ​​​​MƳ VOTE NEXT YEAR iIS FØ̲̣̣Я̅ ACN......THAT ALL,we sweeping all †ђξ party away with our broomWHAT ¶. KNOW Iڪ THAT ALL ​​​​MƳ VOTE NEXT YEAR iIS FØ̲̣̣Я̅ ACN......THAT ALL,we sweeping all †ђξ party away with our broom
Re: Jonathan Is An Unserious President - Bisi Akande by ddeola: 12:11pm On Aug 13, 2013
GEJ's time in Aso is ticking
Re: Jonathan Is An Unserious President - Bisi Akande by nerodenero: 12:15pm On Aug 13, 2013
bakynes: Am yoruba but I do nt see sense in what this man has said.Am nt a GEJ fan bt I do not let Ethnic sentiments get to me.This man is nt making sense @ all
Re: Jonathan Is An Unserious President - Bisi Akande by Gbawe: 12:19pm On Aug 13, 2013
A non-Nigerian, from a nation where leaders are deemed servants of the electorate and firmly held to account for failures and non-performance rather than hailed sycophantically as "his excellency" as the case is with us, tells Nigerians about one of their main problem.

http://saharareporters.com/article/femke-becomes-funke-celebrating-mediocrity-nigeria-femke-van-zeijl?page=2

Femke Becomes Funke: Celebrating Mediocrity In Nigeria By Femke van Zeijl
Posted: March 21, 2013 - 06:02

Femke Van Zeijl
By Femke Van Zeijl

I used to think corruption was Nigeria’s biggest problem, but I’m starting to doubt that. Every time I probe into one of the many issues this country is encountering, at the core I find the same phenomenon: the widespread celebration of mediocrity. Unrebuked underachievement seems to be the rule in all facets of society. A governor building a single road during his entire tenure is revered like the next Messiah; an averagely talented author who writes a colourless book gets sponsored to represent Nigerian literature overseas; and a young woman with no secretarial skills to speak of gets promoted to the oga’s office faster than any of her properly trained colleagues.

Needless to say the politician is probably hailed by those awaiting part of the loot he is stealing; the writer might have got his sponsorship from buddies he has been sucking up to in hagiographies paid for by the subjects; and the young woman’s promotion is likely to be an exchange for sex or the expectancy of it. So some form of corruption plays a role in all of these examples.

But corruption per se does not necessarily stand in the way of development. Otherwise a country like Indonesia—number 118 on Transparency International’s Corruption Perception Index, not that far removed from Nigeria’s 139—would never have made it to the G-20 group of major economies. An even more serious obstacle to development is the lack of repercussions for underachievement. Who in Nigeria is ever held accountable for substandard performance?

Since I came here, I have been on a futile search for a stable internet connection that does what it promises. I started with an MTN FastLink modem (I consider the name a cruel joke), and then I moved on to an Etisalat MiFi connection (I regularly had to keep myself from throwing the bloody thing against the wall), and now I am trying out Cobranet’s U-Go. I shouldn’t have bothered: equally crap. And everyone knows this. They groan and mutter and tweet about it. But still, to my surprise, no one calls for a class-action suit against those deceitful providers.

A one-day conference I attended last year left me equally puzzled. Organisation, attendance and outcome left a lot to be desired, if you ask me. But over cocktails, after the closing ceremony, everyone congratulated each other over the wonderful conference—that started two hours late, of which the most animated part was undeniably lunch, and in which not a single tangible decision had been made. This left me wondering whether we had attended the same event.

I thought these issues to be unrelated at first, but gradually I came to see the connection. [b]Nigeria is the opposite of a meritocracy: you do not earn by achieving. You get to be who and where you are by knowing the right people. Whether you work in an office, for an enterprise or an NGO, at a construction site or in government, your abilities hardly ever are the reason you got there. Performing well, let alone with excellence, is not a requirement, in fact, it is discouraged. It would be too threatening: showing you’re more intelligent, capable or competent than the ‘oga at the top’ (who, as a rule, is not an overachiever either) is career suicide.

It is an attitude that trickles down from the very top, its symptoms eventually showing up in all of society, from bad governance to bad service to bad craftsmanship.

Where excellence meets no gratification, what remains to be celebrated is underachievement. That is why it is not uncommon to find Nigerians congratulating each other with substandard results. It is safer to cuddle up comfortably in shared mediocrity than to question it, since the latter might also expose your own less than exceptional performance. Add to this the taboo of criticising anyone senior or higher up and it explains why so many join in the admiration of the emperor’s new clothes.[/b]

I have been writing this column for the last year, and after ten months I realised my angles were getting more predictable and my pieces less edgy. I figured newcomers do not remain newcomers forever and therefore decided to round up the ‘Femke Becomes Funke’ series this month, a year after it started. Ever since I announced the ending, tweeps have been asking me to change my mind and in comments on the columns and through my website I get songs of praise that make me feel my analyses of Nigerian society are indispensable. If I had no sense of self-criticism, I might be tempted to reconsider my decision to discontinue the series and start producing second-rate articles. Who would point this out to me if I did?

The hardest thing to do in Nigeria is to continue to realise there is honour in achievement and pride in perfection. I imagine the frustration of the many Nigerians who do care for their work, who take pride in their outcomes and who feel the award is in a job well done. When you know beforehand that excellence will not be rewarded, you are bound to do the economically sane thing and limit your investments to accomplishing the bare minimum. This makes Nigeria a pretty cumbersome place for anyone striving for perfection.
Talk to Femke on Twitter: @femkevanzeijl
Re: Jonathan Is An Unserious President - Bisi Akande by Mogidi2: 12:23pm On Aug 13, 2013
Bisi Akande was a very serious governor thats why he lost to PDP.

This man is a joke and should be treated as such.
Re: Jonathan Is An Unserious President - Bisi Akande by Donmichaelz(m): 12:24pm On Aug 13, 2013
Who is bisi eyekande?
Re: Jonathan Is An Unserious President - Bisi Akande by Dbeliever(m): 12:25pm On Aug 13, 2013
One reason I respect chief Bisi Akande is because he knows his civil liberties.
Re: Jonathan Is An Unserious President - Bisi Akande by KGB2008: 12:28pm On Aug 13, 2013
Anything Jonathan makes front page.Scroll through the first page and i can see a lot of thread on Jonathan.

When we eventually break this country through the guidance of Opposition,we will know what it takes to rebuild a nation that would have been set 50 years backward.
Re: Jonathan Is An Unserious President - Bisi Akande by Nobody: 12:28pm On Aug 13, 2013
~Bluetooth:

And your own father and grandfather are wise ?

Lol.
Re: Jonathan Is An Unserious President - Bisi Akande by Melancholy(m): 12:33pm On Aug 13, 2013
Lordlexy: A person is incompetent as his party. You cannot rise above the values, standards and principles of your party. Gej is a product of the standard of his party -pdp.
But when gej promised free and fair election which came to pass people like you and the opposition were congratulating him that yes nigeria is in a capable hand.Other development which is on going are there to see. I guess, Akande is a confutionist!
Re: Jonathan Is An Unserious President - Bisi Akande by Nobody: 12:43pm On Aug 13, 2013
ballabriggs:

Perfectly right, it is not an insult but a criticism. It adds to the strength of debates. To say one is a kindergarten leader is akin to saying he's a mediocre. It is not name calling and it is also not an insult except you have a problem with the use of the language.

You are the one that has questioned the democratic practice in the UK and I see no problem in the way parliamentary debates are conducted. If you have any problem with parliamentary sessions in the UK, please kindly advise.

1. Descending to personal diatribe in a bid to appear visible is an INSULT, plain and simple.

2. Insults don't "add to the strength of debates", informed, objective and constructive criticism does. The APC has, thus far, done a piss-poor job in its mandate to criticize constructively while proffering solutions.

3. The APC should stop making Nigeria's issues about Goodluck Jonathan alone, as if GEJ is the sum total of Nigeria's problems. If they cannot begin to criticize from the viewpoint of policy failures rather than resort to banal name-calling, they are setting themselves up for failure at the polls.

4. Yes, I have a problem with the use of language here.

1 Like

Re: Jonathan Is An Unserious President - Bisi Akande by OniJohn: 12:47pm On Aug 13, 2013
israel007: All failed elements from PDP expressing their frustration
do you know no politics at all? What do you know about Nigerian politics, this man was never a PDP member. Kajikoo
Re: Jonathan Is An Unserious President - Bisi Akande by batstan(m): 12:54pm On Aug 13, 2013
*** clears throat to gather muccus
Spits on Nigerian leaders,
Corrrupt and senseless folks.
Calls on youth to be leaders of today and
Take thier future from these bloodsuckers.
Walks out armed with a placard
A million-man march to occupy govt offices.
Now is the time****
cool
Re: Jonathan Is An Unserious President - Bisi Akande by Gbawe: 12:57pm On Aug 13, 2013
Oni John:
do you know no politics at all? What do you know about Nigerian politics, this man was never a PDP member. Kajikoo

That inane "they are disgruntled former PDP elements" argument is the blanket noise they try and use to drown out the voices of criticism against GEJ's abysmal leadership of Nigeria that is actually criticised worldwide and beyond Nigeria where there is no PDP, ACN, CPC or ANPP. Just right or wrong leadership actions/inaction.
Re: Jonathan Is An Unserious President - Bisi Akande by toni68: 1:30pm On Aug 13, 2013
Bisi akande should respect his age,and the office of the president am disappointed in his pettiness
Re: Jonathan Is An Unserious President - Bisi Akande by dodoro(m): 1:35pm On Aug 13, 2013
There is nothing wrong in what Chief Akande said about GEJ. It is a mere validation/expression of facts that all Nigerians are already aware of. The President should list his concret achievements since enthrownment. Nigerians are tired of rhetorics.
Re: Jonathan Is An Unserious President - Bisi Akande by Gbawe: 2:08pm On Aug 13, 2013
dodoro: There is nothing wrong in what Chief Akande said about GEJ. It is a mere validation/expression of facts that all Nigerians are already aware of. The President should list his concret achievements since enthrownment. Nigerians are tired of rhetorics.

Thank you. I would like Nairlanders speaking up for GEJ and vilifying Akande to show we are not the deceptive people and fraudsters others fervently insist we are by telling us, with no dithering or double-speak, whether GEJ has failed woefully or otherwise in relation to the biggest headaches of Nigeria.

What is his scorecard on corruption?

What has GEJ done to aid Nigeria refining her crude endowment optimally to meet domestic demand and even boost income through the sales of surplus refined derivatives of crude?

How about the security of lives and property?

When have we seen GEJ deliberately make a concerted effort to flatly reject and move away from discredited practises and policies that has gotten the nation where it is such as selling our crude through traders and cutting out scamming fuel importation marketers, as defrauding middlemen, by dealing directly with foreign refineries as Femi Otedola advised ?

Is the GEJ government not currently condemned for not doing enough to diversify the economy away from its over-dependence on crude?

What of reducing recurrent expenditure, profligacy and bloated governance to free up more money to develop Nigeria with?

Have we seen the badly needed and long overdue reform of the NNPC, NPF and many other pivotal Nigerian institutions now too moribund to perform effectively?

The attainment of true fiscal federalism?

Infrastructural development?

We could go on all day and indeed the only eventual conclusion will be the agreement that many Nigerians fail to understand that leaders, throughout the world, serve and are accountable to the electorate not the other way round.
Re: Jonathan Is An Unserious President - Bisi Akande by clemtony(m): 2:24pm On Aug 13, 2013
Truth is very painful.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Kogi Ministerial Slot: Faleke Fires Back - Tribune / Federal Government To Improve Remuneration For Teachers, Other Workers / Kano Assembly Speaker, Majority Leader, Deputy Majority Leader Resign

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 68
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.