Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,793 members, 7,820,785 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 09:35 PM

Africans Immigrants Dont Have The Most Degrees In America - Foreign Affairs - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / Africans Immigrants Dont Have The Most Degrees In America (2104 Views)

See What South Africans Had To Say Concerning Xenophobia / There Is A Race Riot Going On In America Right Now!! / Pictures Of Illegal Immigrants To Be Deported From America (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Africans Immigrants Dont Have The Most Degrees In America by girl22(f): 6:38am On Jun 04, 2008
only 43% of 2 million africans have degrees that is just thousands.

23% of whites, 18% blacks  have degrees thats in the millions.

people are getting confused of the percentage but they don't realise africans are just 2million.

white immigrants get degrees more than white americans. hispanic immigrants get more degrees hispanic immigrants. asian immigrants get more than asian americans.

so what is the big fuss about african immigrnats getting more degrees than african americans?

immigrants period get more degrees than americans.
Re: Africans Immigrants Dont Have The Most Degrees In America by AfroAGoGo(f): 11:14am On Jun 04, 2008
Dunnoe where you are coming from with that argument, but what I've gathered from reading Wikipedia or sites like that is that African immigrants have the highest percentage of degrees compared to other immigrants in the States.
Example: out of 10 Nigerians living in the US, 9 of those will have graduate degrees.
On the other hand, maybe out of 10 Koreans living in the states only 7 of those will have graduate degrees.
Meanwhile maybe out of 10 white Americans, only 6 have graduate degrees.
Kind of debunks the "model minority" myth that Asians hold as being the most studious group in the States.
Re: Africans Immigrants Dont Have The Most Degrees In America by lucabrasi(m): 1:59pm On Jun 04, 2008
the the comment above,i dont realli get this post, are u tryna say african immigrants are not as intelligent as preiously thought or what cause honestly i think your post is pointless
Re: Africans Immigrants Dont Have The Most Degrees In America by naijadiva2(f): 6:09pm On Jun 04, 2008
girl22:

23% of whites, 18% blacks have degrees thats in the millions.

people are getting confused of the percentage but they don't realise africans are just 2million.

white immigrants get degrees more than white americans. hispanic immigrants get more degrees hispanic immigrants. asian immigrants get more than asian americans.

so what is the big fuss about african immigrnats getting more degrees than african americans?

i don't get your point exactly because its kinda wishy washy. but from what i think i am getting is that you are trying to say that in absolute numbers, african americans have more degrees that african immigrants. but in comparison, i think we are more in having a degree.
Re: Africans Immigrants Dont Have The Most Degrees In America by lazy(m): 7:45pm On Jun 04, 2008
girl22:

AA's and European Americans are not considered an immigrant group in the States. You need to read what you write in heading when you try to argue something. They are usually considered native born. After 2 generations the immigrant label usually goes away and those two groups for the most part are well beyond that with many European Americans coming during the late 1800's - early 1900's. So your first part of this statement makes no sense.

You are making the fuss about this. LOL!! Why do you feel threaten by that fact? I mean I would think you would find some pride in that fact since if you are an AA most of your ancestors came from that continent.
Re: Africans Immigrants Dont Have The Most Degrees In America by sheniqua: 9:08pm On Jun 04, 2008
girl22:

this one na jealousy abi na stupidity.
the African population in America is obviously less than that of African Americans and whites in America
you don't need an oracle to tell you that.
The issue is what percentage of African immigrants are college educated compared to whites and AA factoring in the population.
How hard is that to comprehend?
Re: Africans Immigrants Dont Have The Most Degrees In America by SeanT21(f): 9:35pm On Jun 04, 2008
Who cares. Once we all try persuing the american dream is all that matters.

1 Like

Re: Africans Immigrants Dont Have The Most Degrees In America by Nwaka77: 2:24am On Jun 05, 2008
And the purpose of this thread is 

Let me guess, to start another useless argument again between Africans and American blacks undecided

Don't have time for high school behavior abeg. That is why I am weary of black people. All they know how to do is envy and hate each other!! Abeg get a life! I'm out!  angry
Re: Africans Immigrants Dont Have The Most Degrees In America by Nobody: 2:33am On Jun 05, 2008
@poster,

. . . and your point is. . . ?
Re: Africans Immigrants Dont Have The Most Degrees In America by Nobody: 2:43pm On Jun 05, 2008

Shouldn't you be ashamed by this?
Re: Africans Immigrants Dont Have The Most Degrees In America by Outstrip(f): 11:44pm On Jun 05, 2008
Arent Afroagogo and girl 22 saying the same thing. THE HIGHEST PERCENTAGE. Why una sey confuse una selves
Re: Africans Immigrants Dont Have The Most Degrees In America by dafman(m): 2:18am On Jun 06, 2008
girl22 did you study math in school at?

Don't you know what the meaning of percentage is? When you say 43% of 2 million Africans have degrees it means out of every 2 million Africans, 860,000 have degrees meaning if 10 million african immigrants arrive next year there would be 4.3 million of those with degrees.

On the other 18% of 2 million black americans will be 360,000. So in relation to a relative size of the other ethnic groups africans have the highest degrees.
Re: Africans Immigrants Dont Have The Most Degrees In America by EXPONENT(m): 6:46pm On Jun 11, 2008
Example: out of 10 Nigerians living in the US, 9 of those will have graduate degrees.

You MUST be crazy!

Africans DRIVE CABS!

The opening posters argument is flawed but MOST Africans get caught up in the American Lifestyle and DROP OUT OF COLLEGE and nowdays THEY CAN'T AFFORD IT.

Most languish in Nursing, pharmacy schools, hoping - praying they will make it through to get that "corporate job visa thingy"

In reality you will see more AFRICANS driving CABS than in school. This INCLUDES Nigerians.

but hey, they making a living - even though most people are bypassing CAB RIDES because of the HIKE in their fuel fares.
Re: Africans Immigrants Dont Have The Most Degrees In America by naijadiva2(f): 11:25pm On Jun 12, 2008
EXPONENT:

You MUST be crazy!

Africans DRIVE CABS!

The opening posters argument is flawed but MOST Africans get caught up in the American Lifestyle and DROP OUT OF COLLEGE and nowdays THEY CAN'T AFFORD IT.

Most languish in Nursing, pharmacy schools, hoping - praying they will make it through to get that "corporate job visa thingy"

In reality you will see more AFRICANS driving CABS than in school. This INCLUDES Nigerians.

but hey, they making a living - even though most people are bypassing CAB RIDES because of the HIKE in their fuel fares.

atleast they have a job unlike those who are born in america and don't do jack with their life.

1 Like

Re: Africans Immigrants Dont Have The Most Degrees In America by JosBoy4Lif(m): 3:13am On Jun 13, 2008
EXPONENT:

You MUST be crazy!

Africans DRIVE CABS!

FYI: There are more African American males in Jail then there are in Colleges, what a startling statistic.
Africans value education, African Americans undecided
Re: Africans Immigrants Dont Have The Most Degrees In America by sheniqua: 3:38am On Jun 13, 2008
More than one out of every 4 African American male is either on drugs,in prison or on parole.
Who dash them school ?
Re: Africans Immigrants Dont Have The Most Degrees In America by sheniqua: 3:46am On Jun 13, 2008
EXPONENT:

You MUST be crazy!

Africans DRIVE CABS!

[s]Now I see why you people were sold in open markets. [/s] lipsrsealed
You call being in pharmacy and nursing schools" languishing in school" shocked shocked shocked shocked
What do you call mopping floors in pharmacies and washing the soiled bedsheets in hospitals?
2 professions you folks have a Phd in.
Anu mpam lipsrsealed
Re: Africans Immigrants Dont Have The Most Degrees In America by romeo(m): 8:39am On Jun 13, 2008
sheniqua:

Hahahaa! nwoke ahu bu ego ole? nke ahu gbara agba di ocha cheesy cheesy

I am imagining how the pricing was done! grin
Re: Africans Immigrants Dont Have The Most Degrees In America by JosBoy4Lif(m): 11:10pm On Jun 13, 2008
sheniqua:

Damn, is this not a rather gross conclusion?
Re: Africans Immigrants Dont Have The Most Degrees In America by RichyBlacK(m): 11:16pm On Jun 13, 2008
sheniqua:

This was totally uncalled for!
Why taunt your fellow African brother with an injustice meted out on them in the past? This is totally inappropriate and you, sheniqua, should know that!
Even when having an argument, there should be rules of engagement. You should apologize to EXPONENT for this!

I know you, like 4 Him, are a strong supporter of Israel. How would you feel if someone made fun of the fact that millions of Jews were annihilated under the ruthless Nazi killing machines? Even though I completely detest the evil, racist and apartheid policies of the Israeli government, I WILL NEVER make light of the sufferings of the Jews under Hitler's genocide!

Similarly, how would you feel if someone made fun of the fact that thousands of Igbos starved to death under the failed genocidal schemings of the Nigerian government?

Injustice, no matter how decorated, should never be excused!!

As a Christian you're supposed to know this!!

I'm not claiming to be a Saint, but just saying that you should always recognize the limits of trying to make your opponent feel bad!!
Re: Africans Immigrants Dont Have The Most Degrees In America by MyTempID: 12:12am On Jun 14, 2008
She's clearly an overgrown baby. She has posted similar nonsense in another thread.
Re: Africans Immigrants Dont Have The Most Degrees In America by romeo(m): 9:46am On Jun 14, 2008
Sheni baby!! no mind them ohh. But that EXPONENT of a thing is foolish and he surely deserved some "strike through" insult.
Re: Africans Immigrants Dont Have The Most Degrees In America by SeanT21(f): 5:27pm On Jun 14, 2008
who cares who have the most degree?

what does it matter.

sheniqua:

You call being in pharmacy and nursing schools" languishing in school" shocked shocked shocked shocked
What do you call mopping floors in pharmacies and washing the soiled bedsheets in hospitals?
2 professions you folks have a Phd in.
Anu mpam lipsrsealed

you are wrong for that. the same way You dont go to a jew and say " now i know why you people were killed by hitler" even if it was called for.
Re: Africans Immigrants Dont Have The Most Degrees In America by 419er(m): 9:30am On Jun 29, 2008
sheniqua:

Bad statement and deserves an apology.
Re: Africans Immigrants Dont Have The Most Degrees In America by lucabrasi(m): 2:58pm On Jun 29, 2008
RichyBlacK:

This was totally uncalled for!
Why taunt your fellow African brother with an injustice meted out on them in the past? This is totally inappropriate and you, sheniqua, should know that!
Even when having an argument, there should be rules of engagement. You should apologize to EXPONENT for this!

I know you, like 4 Him, are a strong supporter of Israel. How would you feel if someone made fun of the fact that millions of Jews were annihilated under the ruthless Nazi killing machines? Even though I completely detest the evil, racist and apartheid policies of the Israeli government, I WILL NEVER make light of the sufferings of the Jews under Hitler's genocide!

Similarly, how would you feel if someone made fun of the fact that thousands of Igbos starved to death under the failed genocidal schemings of the Nigerian government?

Injustice, no matter how decorated, should never be excused!!

As a Christian you're supposed to know this!!

I'm not claiming to be a Saint, but just saying that you should always recognize the limits of trying to make your opponent feel bad!!
this is just a quick comment,but i dont really understand your logic for saying he/she should apologise,reading through the rest of your comments i see you have something personal against whoever he/she is because i dont see what israel s got to do with this topic.

you didnt say anything about the guys's comments on nigerians driving cabs and what not ,yet you r quick to ask for apologies on a single statement , you know the popular saying all is fair in love and war.either physical or verbal war so there u go mate
Re: Africans Immigrants Dont Have The Most Degrees In America by tck2000(m): 11:47am On Jan 18, 2020
AfroAGoGo:
Dunnoe where you are coming from with that argument, but what I've gathered from reading Wikipedia or sites like that is that African immigrants have the highest percentage of degrees compared to other immigrants in the States.
On the other hand, maybe out of 10 Koreans living in the states only 7 of those will have graduate degrees.
Meanwhile maybe out of 10 white Americans, only 6 have graduate degrees.
Kind of debunks the "model minority" myth that Asians hold as being the most studious group in the States.

(1) (Reply)

Top 10 Reasons Donald Trump Defeated Hilary Clinton / New Poll Shows That Idiot, Incompetent,liar Are The Words Used To Describe Trump / President Trump And Wife Arrives India, Welcomed By Thousands In Stadium(Pics)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 129
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.