Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,157,957 members, 7,835,198 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 06:56 AM

Do Artistes Still Make Money From Album Sales? - Music/Radio - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Music/Radio / Do Artistes Still Make Money From Album Sales? (1414 Views)

U.s Hip Hop Album Sales Http://feeleh.com/2012/04/05/hip-hop-album-sales-the-wee / Rihanna's Slow But Steady Album Sales / Hip Hop Album Sales: The Week Ending 9/19/2010 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Do Artistes Still Make Money From Album Sales? by entadaplace: 5:00am On Aug 13, 2013
A very Long time ago, not so long ago though, artistes were accustomed to taking their musical albums to Alaba International Market, where they were being marketed. Most popular in the business then was Ahbu Ventures, T. Joe, and Obaino Music. This was a reflection of music distribution in the international scene too. World class music distributors like Columbia records turn Sony Music Entertainment, Universal Music Group among others market music album globally for their respective clients. Then, artistes can be sure of a substantial amount on their intellectual property.

It is unknown exactly how many albums Thriller sold. It is estimated between 46 and 110 million. Easily making it the biggest selling album of all time. Michael also was paid more royalties from his albums than most other artists. (About $2 per album) So if he sold 46 million he would make 92 million etc etc. This is not counting video clips, the home movie - the making of Thriller and countless singles. SO I'm assuming he made a lot of money. Hope this helps. God Bless. RIP Michael Jackson. (wiki).

In Nigeria, there was no proper documentation of facts but it was reported that Timaya made over 5 million Naira on his first album, while Dbanj made over 7million on the album that contained the hit track “Suddenly”. Klever Jay was reported to have made about 3million Naira on the “Igboro ti daru” album. Although I must categorically say that this figures were not confirmed as our Alaba sources refuse to confirm any amount. One thing was yet confirmed, these artistes were paid in Millions.

The advent of internet of internet changed the global distribution of Music, leading to Digital/Online music distribution, which started in the late 20th century. It was recorded (in USA) that the largest record labels have all reported a considerable decline in overall revenues from sales of recorded music to consumers in the first decade of the 21st century. Revenues in the U.S. dropped by half over a decade, from a high of $14.6 billion in 1999 to $6.3 billion in 2009, according to Forrester Research. Atlantic Records reports that digital sales have surpassed physical sales. Worldwide revenues for CDs, vinyl, cassettes and digital downloads fell from $36.9 billion in 2000 to $15.9 billion in 2010 according to IFPI. The Economist and The New York Times report that the downward trend is expected to continue for the foreseeable future.

In 2013, everything seems to a very sharp decline. Access to internet (Blackberry phones especially) has caused physical sales to reduce to almost nothing. Many bloggers would go to the extent of leaking songs to get views on their websites, which obviously has a devastating effect on the artiste whose intellectual property is being used. Even radio station that ought to pay artistes for playing their song would rather collect money from the artistes in other to play their song (a topic for another day). This made me wonder if artistes do make ANY amount at all on album sales or they just drop their albums online for free download and make all their fortune through shows and other avenues? Is this good for Music? In that case, should they still make albums(since Kcee had two contract deals with just 1 hi single)? What must be done? how should it be done? I had a sleepless night over this matter. Kindly drop you comment on my site as I will like to you it for another article thanks.

Written by Olusegun Adeyemi

source

Read more here

1 Like

Re: Do Artistes Still Make Money From Album Sales? by Swiftboy(m): 6:32am On Aug 13, 2013
Thanks Op! Artistes are not releasing albums as before.Even when Cd sales was the order of the day,piracy takes the largest share of album distributions.The adverse effect of poor music distribution has killed creativity in so many ways.Artistes now rely on shows and endorsement deals to survive which means no need to do any style of music aside dance-halls and high tempo songs that can move the crowd.The industry lacks structure.Even there are cases where artistes do free shows after been promised substantial amount by the show promoters.Thats why the music industry sucks! Its getting too commercial than art.Its more like pay to get promoted on the radios,d.js,tabloid e.t.c and you're guaranteed a place at the spotlight.
Re: Do Artistes Still Make Money From Album Sales? by entadaplace: 8:18am On Aug 13, 2013
Swiftboy: Thanks Op! Artistes are not releasing albums as before.Even when Cd sales was the order of the day,piracy takes the largest share of album distributions.The adverse effect of poor music distribution has killed creativity in so many ways.Artistes now rely on shows and endorsement deals to survive which means no need to do any style of music aside dance-halls and high tempo songs that can move the crowd.The industry lacks structure.Even there are cases where artistes do free shows after been promised substantial amount by the show promoters.Thats why the music industry sucks! Its getting too commercial than art.Its more like pay to get promoted on the radios,d.js,tabloid e.t.c and you're guaranteed a place at the spotlight.

u are just on point. No substance and the likes of Bez, Timi Dakolo and the like may not make anything from this kind of structure. Even Darey as talented as he his still has go commercial at times to feed his hungry belly. What possible solutions do you think?
Re: Do Artistes Still Make Money From Album Sales? by Swiftboy(m): 12:23pm On Aug 14, 2013
entadaplace:

u are just on point. No substance and the likes of Bez, Timi Dakolo and the like may not make anything from this kind of structure. Even Darey as talented as he his still has go commercial at times to feed his hungry belly. What possible solutions do you think?

There should be laws in place...strict laws against piracy and copyright protections! Against corrupt practices the media houses legalized with their so called 'promotion packages';artistes should be paid if their song made playlists instead{afterall companies paid for advertisements,not asking artistes for money].censor board must also be empowed to ban bad songs.We should start promote songs that make sense too not just loud senseless song on air.Well they say bad music move the street but no; the street listen to what's promoted.Am glad you mentioned Timi Dakolo,'Great nation' is prolly the most patriotic and inspiring song after THE National anthem.Am sick of some of our radio stations playing party music all the time when we have issues to think about in this country.Am not against party song mind you,I like it,I do it but we also need to Educate and inspire ourselves.Maybe we should start criticising artistes at this point. we should start booing poor lyrics and hail meaningful music thank you!
Re: Do Artistes Still Make Money From Album Sales? by entadaplace: 8:28am On Aug 17, 2013
Swiftboy:

There should be laws in place...strict laws against piracy and copyright protections! Against corrupt practices the media houses legalized with their so called 'promotion packages';artistes should be paid if their song made playlists instead{afterall companies paid for advertisements,not asking artistes for money].censor board must also be empowed to ban bad songs.We should start promote songs that make sense too not just loud senseless song on air.Well they say bad music move the street but no; the street listen to what's promoted.Am glad you mentioned Timi Dakolo,'Great nation' is prolly the most patriotic and inspiring song after THE National anthem.Am sick of some of our radio stations playing party music all the time when we have issues to think about in this country.Am not against party song mind you,I like it,I do it but we also need to Educate and inspire ourselves.Maybe we should start criticising artistes at this point. we should start booing poor lyrics and hail meaningful music thank you!

Bro i am a blogger, and what you are saying is practically impossible. When songs are released via twitter, they spread like wide fire.
Re: Do Artistes Still Make Money From Album Sales? by Swiftboy(m): 5:07am On Aug 18, 2013
entadaplace:

Bro i am a blogger, and what you are saying is practically impossible. When songs are released via twitter, they spread like wide fire.
well you asked for it...practically or not.lol nice to know you're a bloger.I'll check your web page right away! Do well to follow me back!

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Do Artistes Still Make Money From Album Sales? by Swiftboy(m): 5:08am On Aug 18, 2013
entadaplace:

well you asked for it...practically or not.lol nice to know you're a bloger.I'll check and polly bookmark your web page right away! Do well to follow me back!
Re: Do Artistes Still Make Money From Album Sales? by Swiftboy(m): 5:17am On Aug 18, 2013
I love your web site. Its simple and easy to navigate.kudos! I don bookmark mark am,follow on twitter and even liked it on facebook.follow back my on my twitter @IamSwiftboy
Re: Do Artistes Still Make Money From Album Sales? by entadaplace: 12:55pm On Aug 18, 2013
Swiftboy: I love your web site. Its simple and easy to navigate.kudos! I don bookmark mark am,follow on twitter and even liked it on facebook.follow back my on my twitter @IamSwiftboy

Thanks boss, rili appreciate. followed u back

(1) (Reply)

Music: Rado Jay Ft Oluwakazzy - Bi Happy / BIG DICK WANTED! PLEASE HELP PRINCESS VITARAH IF YOUR DICK IS BIG!!!! / Talent Or Noise? Destiny Boy Or Basil Hope (GCGT Finalist)?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 36
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.