Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,763 members, 7,820,660 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 06:58 PM

Near-death Experiences "Explained" - Science/Technology - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Near-death Experiences "Explained" (13144 Views)

Dead Marmaid Body Explained (photo) / Build Your Own Mini, Solar Power Unit. My Experiences Shared 100%! / Near-death Experiences Are 'electrical Surge In Dying Brain' (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Near-death Experiences "Explained" by datChelseaBoy: 7:57am On Aug 13, 2013
The surge of electrical activity in the.brain could be responsible for the vivid experiences described by near-death survivors, scientists report.

A study carried out on dying rats found high levels of brainwaves at the point of the animals' demise. US researchers said that in humans this could give rise to a heightened state of consciousness. The research is published in the Proceedings of the National
Academy of Sciences .

From bright white lights to out-of-body sensations and feelings of life flashing before their eyes, the experiences reported by people who have come close to death but
survived are common the world over.

However, studying this in humans is a challenge, and these visions are little understood. To find out more, scientists at the University of Michigan monitored nine rats as they were dying. In the 30-second period after the
animal's hearts stopped beating, they measured a sharp increase in high-frequency brainwaves called
gamma oscillations.

These pulses are one of the neuronal features that are thought to underpin consciousness in humans,
especially when they help to "link" information from different parts of the brain.
In the rats, these electrical pulses were found at even higher levels just after the cardiac arrest than when animals were awake and well.

"[But] we should be extremely cautious before drawing any conclusions about human near-death experiences: it is one thing to
measure brain activity in rats during cardiac arrest, and quite another to relate that to human experience."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-23672150
Re: Near-death Experiences "Explained" by Andyblaze: 5:38pm On Aug 13, 2013
This Is Good Work From The Scientists Tho I Didn't Read The Post

4 Likes

Re: Near-death Experiences "Explained" by dayleke: 5:39pm On Aug 13, 2013
What about on religious level?
Re: Near-death Experiences "Explained" by hypergig(m): 5:40pm On Aug 13, 2013
Science always has an explanation
Re: Near-death Experiences "Explained" by dayleke: 5:40pm On Aug 13, 2013
They forgot to mention the "pearly gates" and "St. Peter "
Re: Near-death Experiences "Explained" by Sunymoore(m): 5:43pm On Aug 13, 2013
Re: Near-death Experiences "Explained" by Nobody: 5:43pm On Aug 13, 2013
miketonic: I just got another girl pregnant....and I just married last month
clap for yourself. grin congratulations.
Re: Near-death Experiences "Explained" by bennieman: 5:44pm On Aug 13, 2013
shocked
Re: Near-death Experiences "Explained" by Nobody: 5:45pm On Aug 13, 2013
E no easy to die oh...
Re: Near-death Experiences "Explained" by Mrniceguyjohn(m): 5:45pm On Aug 13, 2013
Science science science metchew...they 2 dey disc0ver tinx......
Re: Near-death Experiences "Explained" by Willgates(m): 5:46pm On Aug 13, 2013
k
Re: Near-death Experiences "Explained" by rastamouse: 5:46pm On Aug 13, 2013
How does this explain the story of 'Heaven Is Real'? How does the surge in brain activity explain the out of body experience that almost all NDErs experience?

Rubbish research

2 Likes

Re: Near-death Experiences "Explained" by nyabingi(m): 5:46pm On Aug 13, 2013
in other word humans are probably more conscious and brain alert at point of death because all body mechanism would be fighting to help the body live again....this oyibo ppl seff!!

1 Like

Re: Near-death Experiences "Explained" by ProfessorPP(m): 5:47pm On Aug 13, 2013
grin
grin

Congratulation!!!.

1 Like

Re: Near-death Experiences "Explained" by Nobody: 5:48pm On Aug 13, 2013
Y e be say na only rat them dy take do experiment
Re: Near-death Experiences "Explained" by Nobody: 5:48pm On Aug 13, 2013
You are living by your signature...YOLO
Re: Near-death Experiences "Explained" by talentedjoe(m): 5:50pm On Aug 13, 2013
At last..my comment appeared.....thanks to Seun
Re: Near-death Experiences "Explained" by Kslib(m): 5:51pm On Aug 13, 2013
There is always an explanation for everything..
Nice research!! Atleast it didnt imply that NEAR Death Experience is an illusion..

2 Likes

Re: Near-death Experiences "Explained" by olumaxi(m): 5:52pm On Aug 13, 2013
Y do dis scientist alwaz use rats for human comparism?.y cant they b usin monkeys?..thank God i wasnt born a rat anyway

1 Like

Re: Near-death Experiences "Explained" by ProfessorPP(m): 5:55pm On Aug 13, 2013
Already we know that oyibo people are good in researching but, I advice them to stop conpering humanbeings to rats. >:
Re: Near-death Experiences "Explained" by sureteeboy(m): 6:06pm On Aug 13, 2013
Science and their attempts to derail all religion, especially christianity. Some elements of truth may be in their survey, but, attributing all Near Death Experiences to this is just as illogical as it is insane.

1 Like

Re: Near-death Experiences "Explained" by Iceman296: 6:06pm On Aug 13, 2013
How did this Make FP?
Mods?
These Psychos Comparing Humans to Rat!
Re: Near-death Experiences "Explained" by kevoh(m): 6:14pm On Aug 13, 2013
Mrniceguyjohn: Science science science metchew...they 2 dey disc0ver tinx......
yeah, like discovering vaccine for polio that they gave to you when you were a kid, dem for no give you any vaccine at all for being ungrateful.

1 Like

Re: Near-death Experiences "Explained" by kinnad(m): 6:25pm On Aug 13, 2013
Iceman296: How did this Make FP?
Mods?
These Psychos Comparing Humans to Rat!
I just cant understand how some people reason.Don't you know that the diseases being cured today in the world started from experiments with rats and guinea pig? You see why nigeria is always behind. You fall my hand BIG TIME

8 Likes

Re: Near-death Experiences "Explained" by Kslib(m): 6:27pm On Aug 13, 2013
sureteeboy: Science and their attempts to derail all religion, especially christianity. Some elements of truth may be in their survey, but, attributing all Near Death Experiences to this is just as illogical as it is insane.
Ah!! How did science attempt to derail religion with this research?
.. For every reaction or anything thing in life to happen,there must be something that caused it nah...
The researchers only gave us the things,like movement of light etc and other factors that combine to form Near Death Experiences as an end result..
Even prayers and the frequency with which they travel to meet God also has a scientific explanation..
Example::: You can sit down with your dad in the sitting room and whisper softly so he cant hear you but God who is million light years away from you can hear what you whispered...
When a scientist observes that,he tries to explain why it happens,he tries to know the frequency throught which your voice travelled at such amazing speed to meet God within 1/2 sec..
The fact that scientist are giving physical explanations to how things happen including those that relates to religion like Near death experiences,dreams and etc doesnt make the evil or illogical like you said!!!
Maybe you were expecting them to quote one bible passage to back their research.. I am sure if they had used the scripture as proof for their research,you would have been satisfied!!!

3 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

New Tattoo Calls For Help When You Are Sick / Lernstift Smartpen Checks Your Spelling As You Write / Olanisun Adewale, Omolabake Adenle Reach Finals Of $100,000 Innovation Challenge

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 23
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.