Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,971 members, 7,838,470 topics. Date: Thursday, 23 May 2024 at 10:40 PM

On The Issue Of Adoption - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / On The Issue Of Adoption (932 Views)

Baby Girl For Adoption / Handling The Issue of Giving Financial Support To Relatives / T (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

On The Issue Of Adoption by Nobody: 11:38am On Aug 13, 2013
An adopted child as many of us know is a child (orphaned, abandoned, etc.) that is taken into one's family legally and treated as one's own child. This is usually done by parents who can not bear children or those who just have natural love for children.

My question to you all is;
1. Do you think an adopted child should be told that he or she was adopted?
a. if yes, at what age and why that age?
b. if no, why do u think so?
Re: On The Issue Of Adoption by sagytariusTM1: 12:55pm On Aug 13, 2013
First of all, I'm not a married man, buh love kids. So my answer is soley from my own POV.

If I happen to have an adopted child, I'd wish not to tell him/her (especially if we become nicely bonded).
Buh the truth, they say, is like smoke. No matter how hard you try to conceal it, it must find an escape route. Same scenario can definitely play out here, especially as bad~belle people would want to pull your family down by poisoning the child's mind. You know what I mean right?

So to avoid unhealth surprises, I will tell the child, buh at an age when the bond between us is strong enough and more especially in his/her teen age.
Re: On The Issue Of Adoption by Kanwulia: 2:43am On Aug 14, 2013
You should never hide such facts from children.
When people start calling them 'bastards' in the future. . .they would learn to say things like:

"Glad to be one. . . At least I never knew my biological parents. . .so what happened to you wey bastard better pass? TWO FATHERS(GOD THE FATHER AND GOD THE HOLY GHOST), ABANDONED BY BOTH!!! grin

Or: "BABY ABIOLA. . . .HAVE YOU LOOKED AT YOUR DNA TEST LATELY?" cheesy

I would teach them how to REPLY. . . .PREPARE THEM FOR THE WORLD'S CRUELTY. . .ADOPTION IS NOT A CRIME! kiss

1 Like

Re: On The Issue Of Adoption by Nobody: 2:28pm On Aug 18, 2013
yeah.. beautiful answers above..

as for me, i will prefer not to tell d child dat he/she was adopted.. i feel telling d child will bring nothing but 'discomfort' in d home.. the child begins to see everything u do to him/her to be because u r not d child's biological parent..

as for the child getting to hear from outsiders, why would anyone know dat u adopted a child? who u wan tell before?..
Re: On The Issue Of Adoption by Nobody: 2:45pm On Aug 18, 2013
sagytarius™:
First of all, I'm not a married man, buh love kids. So my answer is soley from my own POV.

If I happen to have an adopted child, I'd wish not to tell him/her (especially if we become nicely bonded).
Buh the truth, they say, is like smoke. No matter how hard you try to conceal it, it must find an escape route. Same scenario can definitely play out here, especially as bad~belle people would want to pull your family down by poisoning the child's mind. You know what I mean right?

So to avoid unhealth surprises, I will tell the child, buh at an age when the bond between us is strong enough and more especially in his/her teen age.
i know what u mean.. but don't u think telling d child during the child's teen years will affect him greatly coupled with d hormonal phase in teenage years?
Re: On The Issue Of Adoption by EfemenaXY: 2:54pm On Aug 18, 2013
When the child is 18 - 20? And emotionally old enough to handle that piece of information?
Re: On The Issue Of Adoption by Nobody: 7:01pm On Aug 18, 2013
Efemena_xy: When the child is 18 - 20? And emotionally old enough to handle that piece of information?
what is ur reason for wanting to tell d child about the child's adoption status?
Re: On The Issue Of Adoption by Nobody: 7:04pm On Aug 18, 2013
Re: On The Issue Of Adoption by Nobody: 10:25pm On Aug 18, 2013
chaircover: I would tell the child straightaway. The earlier the better. . . I dont want him/her hearing stories outside.
as early as what age?
Re: On The Issue Of Adoption by EfemenaXY: 11:23pm On Aug 18, 2013
yorettyna: what is ur reason for wanting to tell d child about the child's adoption status?

~ Because it's only fair they know the circumstances surrounding their birth.

~ For situations where knowledge of their medical history is required e.g: Any known genetic disorders, emergency situations where blood transfusions for example might be needed, knowledge on the child's genotype, etc
Re: On The Issue Of Adoption by armyofone(m): 11:38pm On Aug 18, 2013
I will not tell the child until the child is older say 18/20.
i think when you tell them early, they feel certain things you do were done because you are not their biological mom/parents.
Re: On The Issue Of Adoption by moshoodn(m): 8:57am On Aug 21, 2013
I will tell him when he is married.

At that age and period, he's already thinking like a parent and he will handle it maturedly.

Same applies if she's a female too.

1 Like

Re: On The Issue Of Adoption by Nobody: 10:21am On Aug 21, 2013
@moshoodn^^^ that z just perfect.. that way, there will b no hatred n all dat

(1) (Reply)

How To Prevent Mosquito Bite / Girls And Blackberry / Nigeria: What If Your Partner Is Sexually Abusing Your Child??

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 19
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.