Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,590 members, 7,809,139 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 12:59 AM

Research On Nigerian Poly HND And Uni Bsc/ba - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Research On Nigerian Poly HND And Uni Bsc/ba (1259 Views)

Choosing Among Cranfield, Newcastle And Uni Of Aberdeen - Subsea Engineering. / Auchi Poly Hnd Form For Regular Student Is Out. / What Is The Difference Between Hnd And Bsc/ba In Nigeria? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Research On Nigerian Poly HND And Uni Bsc/ba by ishmael(m): 12:31pm On Aug 13, 2013
Are u good in conducting research? Can u work with a team of researchers? I want us to carrying out a good research study to find out if there is a significant difference btw poly HND graduates and uni Bsc/BA graduates. We don't need to be assuming all the time like most nigerians do, that the university graduates are better than the polytechnic graduates. We want to gather facts and test empirically to see the outcome. I need guys that can collaborate with me in doing this, and we shall post the findings and results here on nairaland. Pls indicate interest if u want to take part and i will tell u the role to play. N.B. It's just a social research work and not a research project work for the award of a degree or diploma.
Re: Research On Nigerian Poly HND And Uni Bsc/ba by xrazzy(m): 2:02pm On Aug 13, 2013
I'm in.....
Re: Research On Nigerian Poly HND And Uni Bsc/ba by Nobody: 2:45pm On Aug 13, 2013
i'm also in
Re: Research On Nigerian Poly HND And Uni Bsc/ba by ishmael(m): 3:04pm On Aug 13, 2013
Good! U guys are welcome. We need to strategies on how to go about the research. Before we start i will like to state the objective(s) of the research, the scope and coverage, the research question(s), and the research hypothesis or hypotheses. I will also specify the methodology and sampling procedure. The research team must comprise of graduates from both poly and uni.
Re: Research On Nigerian Poly HND And Uni Bsc/ba by Nobody: 3:53pm On Aug 13, 2013
will you put forward questionaires?, and i am a graduate of both a polytechnic and a university.
Re: Research On Nigerian Poly HND And Uni Bsc/ba by ishmael(m): 3:57pm On Aug 13, 2013
We also need people that reside or can easily reach both uni and poly graduates from each of the geopolitical zones in the country. We shall ensure that the scope and coverage covers both federal and state universities and polytechnics in the geopolitical zones. We shall also use the following courses which are studied in both polytechnic and university. Accounting, Bus Admin, Architecture, Estate Mgt, Elect/Elect Eng, Civil Eng, Statistics, Computer Sci, Mass Comm, and Library & Info Sci.
Re: Research On Nigerian Poly HND And Uni Bsc/ba by ishmael(m): 4:00pm On Aug 13, 2013
mathematician: will you put forward questionaires?, and i am a graduate of both a polytechnic and a university.
that's good. I'm also a graduate of the 2 schools too. We shall decide on that later. We may adopt both oral interview and questionnaire.
Re: Research On Nigerian Poly HND And Uni Bsc/ba by ishmael(m): 4:10pm On Aug 13, 2013
Pls those that will participate must come from the disciplines specified above from each of the geopolitical zones in nigeria. For example i stay in kd, and i read stats. I can therefore sample students in ABU, KASU, Kadpoly and NuBampoly for the northwest zone. So tell us ur geopolitical zone and the schools (fed/state uni & fed/state poly) that u can sample.
Re: Research On Nigerian Poly HND And Uni Bsc/ba by xrazzy(m): 4:30pm On Aug 13, 2013
I'm also a graduate of both polytechnic and University. To me if the analytical gap necessitating this study has do with lack of empirical evidence on the level of job competence/efficiency of University graduate in relation to Poly graduates, then the study subjects are not students/graduates themselves but Human resource managers/personnel managers of various types of firms (having both type of graduates as part of their workforce) in the country. surveying/interviewing these set of people will give snapshot of productivity and proficiency of each type of graduate in their field.
Re: Research On Nigerian Poly HND And Uni Bsc/ba by ishmael(m): 5:03pm On Aug 13, 2013
x-razzy:
I'm also a graduate of both polytechnic and University. To me if the analytical gap necessitating this study has do with lack of empirical evidence on the level of job competence/efficiency of University graduate in relation to Poly graduates, then the study subjects are not students/graduates themselves but Human resource managers/personnel managers of various types of firms (having both type of graduates as part of their workforce) in the country. surveying/interviewing these set of people will give snapshot of productivity and proficiency of each type of graduate in their field.
that's going to be ok. But we want to know by interviewing the graduates themselves. We will have certain variables to measure their skills and knowledge on what they learnt in school; and we shall also test them to know how sharp and accurate they can answer certain questions on their course(s) of study. I also want us to interview employers too, but the fact remains that most employers do not give HND and Bsc equal opportunities as per employment conditions. Most employers employ HND graduate as contract staff and won't be given task that will make them use the skills learnt in the polytechnic. These are what we want to assess.
Re: Research On Nigerian Poly HND And Uni Bsc/ba by sandammy(m): 5:19pm On Aug 13, 2013
It baffles me seeing people exhibiting themselves as masters of irrelevances. I do not know what you guys want to achieve with this. The school you attended is never a factor of who you are. U can be a polytechnic student and still be better than a uni student, knowing this that polytechnic is never your first choice, i see no reason u should end there. The fact that you refuse to have a B.Sc certificate is a matter of choice and i think you should be prepared and responsible for you choice if u ever face any discrimination. I still use to tell people, instead of going to the polytechnic if jamb refuses you admission, why not go for one year pre-degree programme, that will make it easier for you to gain admission if you are the serious type. I will visit this page again
Re: Research On Nigerian Poly HND And Uni Bsc/ba by ishmael(m): 7:47pm On Aug 13, 2013
sandammy: It baffles me seeing people exhibiting themselves as masters of irrelevances. I do not know what you guys want to achieve with this. The school you attended is never a factor of who you are. U can be a polytechnic student and still be better than a uni student, knowing this that polytechnic is never your first choice, i see no reason u should end there. The fact that you refuse to have a B.Sc certificate is a matter of choice and i think you should be prepared and responsible for you choice if u ever face any discrimination. I still use to tell people, instead of going to the polytechnic if jamb refuses you admission, why not go for one year pre-degree programme, that will make it easier for you to gain admission if you are the serious type. I will visit this page again
Pls stay away from this thread if u can't contribute anything to help us achieve our aim. There is a serious discrimination currently going on against HND holders in Nigeria, with many believing that the poly syllabus is inferior to that of the university, poly graduates/students do not kearn/know as much as university graduates/students, among many others. And as such poly students are not allowed to go for masters directly, and are not employed on the same level with Bsc holders. Since we have statistical tools that can be used to provide empirical evidences and to test such claims, why can't we carryout the research to affirm whatever claims made for/against the polytechnic and university systems of education?
Re: Research On Nigerian Poly HND And Uni Bsc/ba by ishmael(m): 7:48pm On Aug 13, 2013
sandammy: It baffles me seeing people exhibiting themselves as masters of irrelevances. I do not know what you guys want to achieve with this. The school you attended is never a factor of who you are. U can be a polytechnic student and still be better than a uni student, knowing this that polytechnic is never your first choice, i see no reason u should end there. The fact that you refuse to have a B.Sc certificate is a matter of choice and i think you should be prepared and responsible for you choice if u ever face any discrimination. I still use to tell people, instead of going to the polytechnic if jamb refuses you admission, why not go for one year pre-degree programme, that will make it easier for you to gain admission if you are the serious type. I will visit this page again
Pls don't distract others that are willing to take part in the research.
Re: Research On Nigerian Poly HND And Uni Bsc/ba by sandammy(m): 8:26am On Aug 14, 2013
ishmael: Pls don't distract others that are willing to take part in the research.
Alright, if that is what you want, i will honour your demand. It's just disgusting that you are so obsessed with this HND VS B.Sc disparity. I promise from now on i will be just an 'on-looker'.
Re: Research On Nigerian Poly HND And Uni Bsc/ba by ishmael(m): 1:01pm On Aug 14, 2013
sandammy:
Alright, if that is what you want, i will honour your demand. It's just disgusting that you are so obsessed with this HND VS B.Sc disparity. I promise from now on i will be just an 'on-looker'.
Thank u, for telling me that i'm obssessed with the HND - Bsc disparity. Where are ur emperical evidences to show that Bsc is better than the HND? Just mere claims, i guess! I was taught that it's very wrong for people to make conclusions on something without having emperical evidences or proofs. As a researcher i don't work without empirical evidence, therefore we need to carry out a research that will enable us uphold your claim or otherwise that the HND is inferior to the Bsc. If u feel u can't take part in the research u can stand by and watch as we do it. Leave those of us that are interested to continue with it. N.B. I can do the research alone, just that the work will be for just one geopolitical zone. I want a more robust research that's why i want other people to join me so that we can get data from all the geopolitical zones.
Re: Research On Nigerian Poly HND And Uni Bsc/ba by ishmael(m): 1:03pm On Aug 14, 2013
sandammy:
Thank u, for telling me how obssessed i am with the HND - Bsc disparity. Where are ur emperical evidences to show that Bsc is better than HND? Just mere claims, i guess! I was taught that it's very wrong for people to make conclusions on something without having emperical evidences or proofs. As a researcher i don't work without empirical evidence, therefore we need to carry out a research that will enable us uphold your claim or otherwise that the HND is inferior to the Bsc. If u feel u can't take part in the research u can stand by and watch as we do it. Leave those of us that are interested to continue with it. N.B. I can do the research alone, just that the work will be for just one geopolitical zone. I want a more robust research that's why i want other people to join me so that we can get data from all the geopolitical zones.
Re: Research On Nigerian Poly HND And Uni Bsc/ba by ishmael(m): 8:35am On Aug 30, 2013
Sorry guys, i've been very busy with some other research works for some clients. I'll soon be looking at this proposed research.

(1) (Reply)

Osun State University (uniosun) 2015/2016 Post Utme/admission Thread / Le Francais / The Sad Truth About Nigerias Federal Universities

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 40
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.