Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,198 members, 7,811,519 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 01:36 PM

Why Are Most Christians Poor - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Why Are Most Christians Poor (4249 Views)

The Question Most Christians Fail All The Time / Why Are Most Christians Stingy When It Comes To Church Offerings? / Nigeria Comes First With Most Christians In Africa (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Are Most Christians Poor by bennymore(m): 8:41pm On Jun 04, 2008
There is a need for us as christian to ask ourselves this pertinent question. it has bothered my mind over and over why christians are poor.
Lets rub mind together probably their could be a way out.
i have discovered apart from Laziness and Poverty Mindset, there are certain things that has kept most christians poor?

What are those things?
Re: Why Are Most Christians Poor by bilymuse: 10:32pm On Jun 04, 2008
most christians are not poor , its Nigerians that are poor.
Re: Why Are Most Christians Poor by Lady2(f): 10:39pm On Jun 04, 2008
most Christians are not poor.
It's not just Nigerians that are poor.

There are muuuuslims that are even poorer than the Christians in may countries. There are even poorer muuslim nations than Christian ones.

There are buddhists that are poor, there are atheists that are poor.

Basically, there are people that are poor. Religion has nothing to do with it.
Re: Why Are Most Christians Poor by SeanT21(f): 11:01pm On Jun 04, 2008
~Lady~:

most Christians are not poor.
It's not just Nigerians that are poor.

There are muuuuslims that are even poorer than the Christians in may countries. There are even poorer muuslim nations than Christian ones.

There are buddhists that are poor, there are atheists that are poor.

Basically, there are people that are poor. Religion has nothing to do with it.

100% right. being poor have nothing to do with religion.
Re: Why Are Most Christians Poor by henry007(m): 11:11pm On Jun 04, 2008
i think i'd say majority of nigrians ar christians so its partly because of that.but asides that take a gud look at ur street or district, threre are like 1000 churches evrywhre ,only a few with wel stuctured edifices , as 4 mosques, the few are not eye friendly sef. bottom line religion has nothing 2 do with the size of one's pocket vice versa
Re: Why Are Most Christians Poor by welli(f): 11:16pm On Jun 04, 2008
sean,did u say being poor has nuttin todo wit religion?is dis quote nt frm d bible:since i was born,I HAVE NEVA SEEN THE RIGHTEOUS SUFFA NOR HIS SEED BEGGIN FOR BREAD?GOD isnt poor so why shud sm christains be?
Re: Why Are Most Christians Poor by AKO1(m): 11:37pm On Jun 04, 2008
@poster
i have discovered apart from Laziness and Poverty Mindset, there are certain things that has kept most christians poor?

What are those things?

You must understand that poverty is relative and you could attempt to define it in your own practical terms.
Re: Why Are Most Christians Poor by Spermdrops(m): 4:03am On Jun 05, 2008
Because they spend most of their time thinking of how to buy salvation while on their earthly pilgrimages, enrich their already fat butted/pot bellied pigs of pastors and concentrating on things of the spirit that the will never see even in the after life.

Born suffer heads!

And boy, do they look scruffy or what? angry
Re: Why Are Most Christians Poor by Nobody: 11:02am On Jun 05, 2008
bennymore:

There is a need for us as christian to ask ourselves this pertinent question. it has bothered my mind over and over why christians are poor.
Lets rub mind together probably their could be a way out.

What are those things?

How did you arive at the conclusion that christians are poor?? Are you working by Assumption or do you have facts and figures?? I will argue that seriously because that is a very WRONG conclusion. Poverty has absolutely nothing to do with Religion. You'd be unrealistic to think that!!
Re: Why Are Most Christians Poor by bennymore(m): 1:34pm On Jun 05, 2008
I agree with you all that being poor has nothing to do with religion, however you need to understand that majority of Nigerians are Christians, and the basis of my posting is on the fact that Christians are covenant carriers, the blessings of God rests upon us, so there is no reason for poverty. even the will of God is that we prosper. so why the poor state of praying Christians.

This is not to argue or to ridicule but to find a solution. This is not based on assumption but on survey. it was discovered that most christians that are defined to the head are not manifesting this promises. Note however, Being poor is not the lack of money, i beleive it is the lack of what to do, because once you know what to do and you do it, money flows in the direction of viable ideas pursued. I believe Poverty is the non enjoyment of divine provision.

Lets look at it critically should Christians be Poor? if you dont see it my way, am not adding religion, lets let go religion now, lets talk about persons as a follower of God.

You might not be but others are, lets consider a way out.
Re: Why Are Most Christians Poor by noetic(m): 3:08pm On Jun 05, 2008
@ Topic

does going to church make u a christian?

true christians understand that we pursue first the kingdom of God and then every other thing shall follow.

knowlegeble christians know that attaining or ammassing wealth, position or status has to conform with the will of the Father and only His counsel will prevail.
biblibical antecedents say the early believers sold all they had, and shared amongst themselves equally. christianity is all about giving.
true christians may not be materially wealthy, but they never lack.
Re: Why Are Most Christians Poor by Nobody: 6:00pm On Jun 05, 2008
bennymore:

Lets look at it critically should Christians be Poor? if you don't see it my way, am not adding religion, lets let go religion now, lets talk about persons as a follower of God.
You might not be but others are, lets consider a way out.
If you are a true follower of God, then you should concern yourself with things that will make you grow spiritually, and not carnally.
Re: Why Are Most Christians Poor by Lady2(f): 6:11pm On Jun 05, 2008
I agree with you all that being poor has nothing to do with religion, however you need to understand that majority of Nigerians are Christians, and the basis of my posting is on the fact that Christians are covenant carriers, the blessings of God rests upon us, so there is no reason for poverty. even the will of God is that we prosper. so why the poor state of praying Christians.

Blessed are the poor in Spirit for they shall inherit the kingdom of heaven

Blessed are those who mourn for they shall be comforted

Blessed are the meek, for they shall possess the earth

Blessed are they who hunger and thirse for justice, for they shall be satisfied

Blessed are the merciful for they shall obtain mercy

Blessed are the clean of heart for they shall see God

Blessed are the peacemakers for they shall be called children of God

Blessed are they who suffer persecution for justice's sake for theirs is the Kingdom of heaven

Blessed are you when men reproach you and persecute you, and speaking falsely, say all manner of evil against you, for my sake.

What do you conclude from it?

It is not what is of the worl (carnal) but what is of the Spirit.
Set your heart on the Kingdom of heaven and you will be blessed.

If you are a true follower of God, then you should concern yourself with things that will make you grow spiritually, and not carnally

EXACTLY!!! Thank you
Re: Why Are Most Christians Poor by ablezhizhi: 1:11pm On Jun 06, 2008
' The poor you will always have around' you,says the Bible.If there are no poor people,humanity will not appreciate God.Every thing has laws and principle.if u give,u receive.no gambling,only follow the rules. YOU also need to upgrade your mental faculty.That is think positively and beleive in God for everything you need in this world.
Re: Why Are Most Christians Poor by Fadeioloro: 2:30pm On Jun 06, 2008
I think most christians in Nigeria are poor because they are daft enough to keep dashing their money to liars every weekend and they spend their energy on non profitable activities such as prayer meetings and so on.
Re: Why Are Most Christians Poor by huxley(m): 2:31pm On Jun 06, 2008
A proper respond to this question should start by assessing what is meant by "being poor".   Let make a trip to Wikipedia; http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Poverty

Poverty can be measured in terms of absolute or relative poverty. Absolute poverty refers to a set standard which is consistent over time and between countries. An example of an absolute measurement would be the percentage of the population eating less food than is required to sustain the human body (approximately 2000-2500 calories per day for an adult male).

The World Bank defines extreme poverty as living on less than US$ (PPP) 1 per day, and moderate poverty as less than $2 a day, estimating that "in 2001, 1.1 billion people had consumption levels below $1 a day and 2.7 billion lived on less than $2 a day." [2] The proportion of the developing world's population living in extreme economic poverty fell from 28 percent in 1990 to 21 percent in 2001.[2] Looking at the period 1981-2001, the percentage of the world's population living on less than $1 per day has halved.

However, most of this improvement has occurred in East and South Asia.[3] In East Asia the World Bank reports that "The poverty headcount rate at the $2-a-day level is estimated to have fallen to about 27 percent, down from 29.5 percent in 2006 and 69 percent in 1990."[4]

In Sub-Saharan Africa GDP/capita shrank by 14 percent and extreme poverty increased from 41 percent in 1981 to 46 percent in 2001, increasing the number of people living in poverty from 231 million to 318 million.[5]

Other regions have seen little change. In the early 1990s the transition economies of Eastern Europe and Central Asia experienced a sharp drop in income. Poverty rates rose to 6 percent at the end of the decade before beginning to recede.[6]

World Bank data shows that the percentage of the population living in households with consumption or income per person below the poverty line has decreased in each region of the world since 1999: [7][8]

Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Poverty

Now, what is considered poverty in Nigeria?  Are the majority of people who subsist on less than $1 per day Christians? And are there any systemic reasons why they should be poor as a result of their religious beliefs.

Poverty is very much relative in nature; a poor family in th eUK may be very much better off than a poor family in Nigeria. So which of these poor people are you referring to?

The bible teaching on poverty is ambiguous. Consider the following injunctions or saying by Jesus;

1) It is easier for a camel to pass thru the eye of a needle than for a rich man to enter the kingdom of god.

2) Go sell all your belongings and follow me.

3) Blessed are the poor in spirit ,

BTW what does it mean to be "poor in spirit"?

There are also passage where wealth is seen as a blessing from god. Why would god want to bless anyone with "carnal" materials?
Re: Why Are Most Christians Poor by Lady2(f): 8:08pm On Jun 09, 2008
BTW what does it mean to be "poor in spirit"?

humble, not pompus, not prideful, not judgmental, not thinking that you are better than certain ppl, not buying into the social class (hierarchy).

Basically it describes what poor ppl in the physical are only it is to be applied to the spirit. It doesn't mean monetary o.
Re: Why Are Most Christians Poor by onyinye2(f): 8:10pm On Jun 09, 2008
everyone is poor. christians, muslims, buddhists, atheists, and hindus.

(1) (Reply)

Dawkins Tells Atheists To "Mock Religion With Contempt," And Ravi's Response / Check Out These Occultic Codes In RCCG / Was Jesus Created Or People Misunderstand The Bible?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 51
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.