Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,195,255 members, 7,957,629 topics. Date: Tuesday, 24 September 2024 at 04:07 PM

Lesson To Nigerians Born In The UK: You Are Really Not British - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Lesson To Nigerians Born In The UK: You Are Really Not British (2094 Views)

Where Is Amaechi? A Great Lesson To Others About Back Stabbing Your People! / Is President Jonathan Really Not Bad? Budget 2010 - 2014 / Jonathan's Message to Nigerians on New Year & New Century Of Amalgamation (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Lesson To Nigerians Born In The UK: You Are Really Not British by frenchman(m): 2:00pm On Aug 15, 2013
I read an article this morning in Yahoo, and I felt pained not only becasue of the racist comment but becasue many Nigerians-in-UK's ignorance about racism. Even though you were born in the UK or carry a british Passport, you are still not recognised or classified as british in real terms. Many Nigerians in UK are still delusional about this.
Please reasd this and comment:

World Championships - Why Christine Ohuruogu will never be fully loved by the British public

http://uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/news/world-championships-christine-ohuruogu-will-never-fully-loved-080404262.html
Re: Lesson To Nigerians Born In The UK: You Are Really Not British by israel007: 2:04pm On Aug 15, 2013
Even if and when they give you that paper stating you are one of their own, in reality you can never be!

1 Like

Re: Lesson To Nigerians Born In The UK: You Are Really Not British by omonnakoda: 2:09pm On Aug 15, 2013
frenchman: I read an article this morning in Yahoo, and I felt pained not only becasue of the racist comment but becasue many Nigerians-in-UK's ignorance about racism. Even though you were born in the UK or carry a british Passport, you are still not recognised or classified as british in real terms. Many Nigerians in UK are still delusional about this.
Please reasd this and comment:

World Championships - Why Christine Ohuruogu will never be fully loved by the British public

http://uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/news/world-championships-christine-ohuruogu-will-never-fully-loved-080404262.html
What racist comment? Are you illiterate or just chippy? the article is about someone who breached doping regulations which she signed up to and was banned accordingly. You have a terrible complex

1 Like

Re: Lesson To Nigerians Born In The UK: You Are Really Not British by redsun(m): 2:12pm On Aug 15, 2013
It is easy to forget she is a fool blooded "nigerian" that not is not far cut off from her roots.

Victory is in the heart.
Re: Lesson To Nigerians Born In The UK: You Are Really Not British by Arosa(m): 2:38pm On Aug 15, 2013
The problem stems from 2006 when Ohuruogu was suspended from competing for missing three out-of-competition drugs tests. It was a massive blow to British athletics, more so as she was being touted as a potential face of the London games.

@op, get it? undecided
Re: Lesson To Nigerians Born In The UK: You Are Really Not British by redsun(m): 2:52pm On Aug 15, 2013
Arosa:

@op, get it? undecided

As long as she forgives herself,that what matters.Nobody can deny she is an achiever.
Re: Lesson To Nigerians Born In The UK: You Are Really Not British by frenchman(m): 3:02pm On Aug 15, 2013
"Ohuruogu was cleared twice by drugs testers either side of her third missed test and three independent inquiries concluded “forgetfulness” was behind her mistake. But every other athlete adhered to the strict rules by practically having their life governed by the doping whereabouts scheme."

She was never found guilty or tested positive for doping, so why bring this up. I think we should stop decieving ourselves. If she were to be a white person, I am sure no one will bring up the fact that she missed being tested for drugs in the past. This is just a simple ploy to water down her victory and record, typical white man's way of undermining a black person's achievement.
Re: Lesson To Nigerians Born In The UK: You Are Really Not British by omonnakoda: 3:08pm On Aug 15, 2013
frenchman: "Ohuruogu was cleared twice by drugs testers either side of her third missed test and three independent inquiries concluded “forgetfulness” was behind her mistake. But every other athlete adhered to the strict rules by practically having their life governed by the doping whereabouts scheme."

She was never found guilty or tested positive for doping, so why bring this up. I think we should stop decieving ourselves. If she were to be a white person, I am sure no one will bring up the fact that she missed being tested for drugs in the past. This is just a simple ploy to water down her victory and record, typical white man's way of undermining a black person's achievement.
Rio Ferdinand got banned for missing a test. So let us eschew sentiment.The rules are not personal.There is good reson to suspect that if an athlete misses a test they are hiding something and that is why that offence attracts a ban.It is NOT a "minor" thing.
Re: Lesson To Nigerians Born In The UK: You Are Really Not British by frenchman(m): 3:26pm On Aug 15, 2013
@omonnakoda,do you also know that in the article, among the athletes the author named as being the greatest that Ohurougo could not be possibly compared to was Sally Gunnell, a white lady. This lady won gold at the Barcelona Olympics, shortly after winning this gold, she missed an out of competition drug test. She later claimed she did not know, that she did not know, fair enough. Why was this not mentioned to diminish her olympic gold medal? and why is ohuorogu's case different?

1 Like

Re: Lesson To Nigerians Born In The UK: You Are Really Not British by redsun(m): 3:32pm On Aug 15, 2013
If i were her i will just resign when the ovation is loudest.I don't know what people try to prove sometimes.She should put her time in the things she can do better and help others.

The media tries to tame and shape people's characters and views and try to make them believe it is true.They want people to think collectively like robots without individual thoughts.

1 Like

Re: Lesson To Nigerians Born In The UK: You Are Really Not British by frenchman(m): 3:41pm On Aug 15, 2013
"Due to the circumstances, the Independent Committee stated "There is no suggestion, nor any grounds for suspicion, that the offence may have been deliberate in order to prevent testing.", and that a fair ban would have been 3 months. Ohuruogu passed tests 9 days before and 3 days after her final violation"

This was the verdict of the committee set up to investigate Ohurougu. So why would anyone suggest in any way or form that this lady is not worthy of her hard earned victory?
Re: Lesson To Nigerians Born In The UK: You Are Really Not British by redsun(m): 3:49pm On Aug 15, 2013
I don't think they have anything to say about Usain Bolt yet because it makes beating the superpowers that have everything to put into sports so easy and effortless.Something that is least expected from a small unorganized island like Jamaica.
Re: Lesson To Nigerians Born In The UK: You Are Really Not British by NewAlfa: 3:55pm On Aug 15, 2013
My former english colleagues found it very hard to pronounce her name. Indeed they find it hard to pronounce any non-english name. And that winds them up when I asked who they are talking about and give them the correct pronunciation. That's the problem. If her name was christine Smith, they won't have any problems at all.
Re: Lesson To Nigerians Born In The UK: You Are Really Not British by omonnakoda: 3:57pm On Aug 15, 2013
frenchman: @omonnakoda,do you also know that in the article, among the athletes the author named as being the greatest that Ohurougo could not be possibly compared to was Sally Gunnell, a white lady. This lady won gold at the Barcelona Olympics, shortly after winning this gold, she missed an out of competition drug test. She later claimed she did not know, that she did not know, fair enough. Why was this not mentioned to diminish her olympic gold medal? and why is ohuorogu's case different?
Why not talk like an adult .ONE PERSON wrote an article expressing their opinion which they are entitled to.The person is even unnamed.Does that translate into the crazy heading of this thread or in anyway represent the view of a whole street not to talk of the country. Who said other people have not expressed similar views on Sally Gunnel? How do you know?

1 Like

Re: Lesson To Nigerians Born In The UK: You Are Really Not British by TheBookWorm: 4:01pm On Aug 15, 2013
A black person in Britain will never be considered British.

But a black person in the United States will always be considered an American, no matter his ancestry.

The difference is that black people helped build the United States, but the same cannot be said of Great Britain.

1 Like

Re: Lesson To Nigerians Born In The UK: You Are Really Not British by redsun(m): 4:02pm On Aug 15, 2013
New Alfa: My former english colleagues found it very hard to pronounce her name. Indeed they find it hard to pronounce any non-english name. And that winds them up when I asked who they are talking about and give them the correct pronunciation. That's the problem. If her name was christine Smith, they won't have any problems at all.

They want people to speak their language properly,yet they don't even make efforts to pronounce foreign words written with english alphabets correctly.

I don't blame english people,i just blame africans for not being organized and be their own mouth piece.

1 Like

Re: Lesson To Nigerians Born In The UK: You Are Really Not British by kunlekunle: 4:21pm On Aug 15, 2013
omonnakoda: Rio Ferdinand got banned for missing a test. So let us eschew sentiment.The rules are not personal.There is good reson to suspect that if an athlete misses a test they are hiding something and that is why that offence attracts a ban.It is NOT a "minor" thing.

Rio did not miss a test but did a runner on the training ground when the anti doping agency turned up.
Re: Lesson To Nigerians Born In The UK: You Are Really Not British by Arosa(m): 4:29pm On Aug 15, 2013
redsun:

As long as she forgives herself,that what matters.Nobody can deny she is an achiever.
True!
Re: Lesson To Nigerians Born In The UK: You Are Really Not British by NewAlfa: 4:33pm On Aug 15, 2013
redsun:

They want people to speak their language properly,yet they don't even make efforts to pronounce foreign words written with english alphabets correctly.

I don't blame english people,i just blame africans for not being organized and be their own mouth piece.

Exactly. They are the worst in foreign languages. Even when they travel, they insist on their hosts speaking to them in English. There are many of them in Spain that have spent more than ten years there but cannot string together a single sentence in spanish.

But that's the way it is. English is the world ligua franca, so everybody have to speak it. Not just Africans.
Re: Lesson To Nigerians Born In The UK: You Are Really Not British by redsun(m): 4:34pm On Aug 15, 2013
Arosa:
True!

It weird to think that she is just a full blooded first generation of nigerians in the UK.She so much into british and it makes her nigeria part look so insignificant and she is so determined.Yet she can't be appreciated.
Re: Lesson To Nigerians Born In The UK: You Are Really Not British by Arosa(m): 4:37pm On Aug 15, 2013
redsun:

It weird to think that she is just a full blooded first generation of nigerians in the UK.She so much into british and it makes her nigeria part look so insignificant and she is so determined.Yet she can't be appreciated.

I think most British people appreciated her, it's just the useless media house that is biased.
Re: Lesson To Nigerians Born In The UK: You Are Really Not British by redsun(m): 4:42pm On Aug 15, 2013
Arosa:

I think most British people appreciated her, it's just the useless media house that is biased.

The main sream media is insane.i don't listen to what they say,but so many gullible do and it could be dangerous.Especially at this moment that immigration seems to be taking the blames for the crunch.
Re: Lesson To Nigerians Born In The UK: You Are Really Not British by Arosa(m): 4:45pm On Aug 15, 2013
redsun:

The main sream media is insane.i don't listen to what they say,but so many gullible do and it could be dangerous.Especially at this moment that immigration seems to be taking the blames for the crunch.

Tell me about it, sadly I have no choice but to read their bull poo. angry
Re: Lesson To Nigerians Born In The UK: You Are Really Not British by Italiano1: 4:47pm On Aug 15, 2013
omonnakoda: What racist comment? Are you illiterate or just chippy? the article is about someone who breached doping regulations which she signed up to and was banned accordingly. You have a terrible complex

Abi o, that article never mentioned anything about her race at all. She tested positive for PEDs and that will be a stigma forever unfortunately.
Re: Lesson To Nigerians Born In The UK: You Are Really Not British by redsun(m): 4:48pm On Aug 15, 2013
Arosa:

Tell me about it, sadly I have no choice but to read their bull poo. angry

I hope you don't pay for it?The best i can do is read metro when i am riding on the public transport.
Re: Lesson To Nigerians Born In The UK: You Are Really Not British by Arosa(m): 4:51pm On Aug 15, 2013
redsun:

I hope you don't pay for it?The best i can do is read metro when i am riding on the public transport.

grin grin grin pay ke, I read everything I need to know online. lipsrsealed
Re: Lesson To Nigerians Born In The UK: You Are Really Not British by redsun(m): 4:58pm On Aug 15, 2013
Arosa:

grin grin grin pay ke, I read everything I need to know online. lipsrsealed

Abio?Every where you look is news it's just depends on the one you want to hear.
Re: Lesson To Nigerians Born In The UK: You Are Really Not British by omonnakoda: 5:40pm On Aug 15, 2013
Italiano1:

Abi o, that article never mentioned anything about her race at all. She tested positive for PEDs and that will be a stigma forever unfortunately.
You are correct race was not mentioned but actually she did not test positive. She did not make herself available for a test when required which is considered an equally serious offence. RIghtly she was banned for it.If you do not turn up or for any reason are not available as required you are banned just as if you tested positive. Nothing to do with Racism
Re: Lesson To Nigerians Born In The UK: You Are Really Not British by ShineuEye: 6:57pm On Aug 15, 2013
frenchman:

She was never found guilty or tested positive for doping, so why bring this up. I think we should stop decieving ourselves. If she were to be a white person, I am sure no one will bring up the fact that she missed being tested for drugs in the past.

She's not white and she has Nigerian blood so she's both Nigerian and British. And you're not a frenchman so keep your poo.
Re: Lesson To Nigerians Born In The UK: You Are Really Not British by Italiano1: 6:59pm On Aug 15, 2013
omonnakoda: You are correct race was not mentioned but actually she did not test positive. She did not make herself available for a test when required which is considered an equally serious offence. RIghtly she was banned for it.If you do not turn up or for any reason are not available as required you are banned just as if you tested positive. Nothing to do with Racism

Well it means the title of the thread is misleading then. I know where you are coming from but quoting that article was a mistake IMO
Re: Lesson To Nigerians Born In The UK: You Are Really Not British by omonnakoda: 7:05pm On Aug 15, 2013
Italiano1:

Well it means the title of the thread is misleading then. I know where you are coming from but quoting that article was a mistake IMO
Mistake by whom?
Re: Lesson To Nigerians Born In The UK: You Are Really Not British by Italiano1: 7:15pm On Aug 15, 2013
omonnakoda: Mistake by whom?

The OP

(1) (2) (Reply)

Ebola: Sellers Eat Bush Meat Publicly In Ibadan / Eko Atlantic Lights Up Victoria Island Landscape / Buhari Should Pay Universities Earned Allowance Before Paying Lawmakers

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 43
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.