Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,816 members, 7,817,366 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 11:06 AM

Nigerian Naira And Its Value - Business (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Nigerian Naira And Its Value (18288 Views)

SEE The Nigerian Naira's Exchange Rate To The Dollar As At Today / Brief History Of The Fall Of The Nigerian Naira / Nigerian Naira Or Ghanaian Cedi Which Is Stronger? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigerian Naira And Its Value by pappilo(m): 9:00am On Oct 10, 2013
greatgod2012: Devaluation of our currency is one of the major steps to take to regain the value of our naira.

You sef wan sound intelligent abi? Your statement is an oxymoron
Re: Nigerian Naira And Its Value by Nobody: 9:00am On Oct 10, 2013
lol
Re: Nigerian Naira And Its Value by Maximus17(m): 9:06am On Oct 10, 2013
do you know we have abundance of cassava,sorghum,yam,rice?,do you also know we have coals,cotton,textiles?.....all these are lying dormant and untapped and patiently waiting for the day we would utilize them to feed the teeming population and subsequently export them for foreign exchange reserve thus reducing capital flight and increasing capital investmentz&formation,i long to see the day graduates will embrace agriculture and help correct our balance of payment deficit and transform it into surplus which will heal our currency of its illness

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Naira And Its Value by Martinseseosa(m): 9:08am On Oct 10, 2013
Mi fellow country pple where hv we got it all wrong? :oMi fellow country pple where hv we got it all wrong?
Re: Nigerian Naira And Its Value by phil5(m): 9:14am On Oct 10, 2013
I think its better this way fore nw,so as to make local products more competitive, don't just think 1usd-1naira is a big deal.check japan,china,germany. Making our currency expensive will give rise to more imports because something which is produced and sold in same price will lose to the preference of "made in 9ja and made in USA"
Re: Nigerian Naira And Its Value by IAMBREEZY: 9:17am On Oct 10, 2013
Atleast the naira currency is more valuable than some african currency...
Re: Nigerian Naira And Its Value by ibkgab001: 9:40am On Oct 10, 2013
Nice one over statement in action .... No Nile no Egypt ... No Kobo no Good economic value for Naira
Re: Nigerian Naira And Its Value by Nobody: 10:38am On Oct 10, 2013
moshino:

[b]You have too much Naira chasing too few dollars. The only thing you export to earn Dollars is oil. You have huge balance of trade deficit. You have dilapidated/non-existent infrastructure. You do not attract enough foreign investment because of MASSIVE corruption, insecurity, failed educational system that do not provide developed manpower, you waste too much austere capital on ostentatious living rather than on capital investment. And the Nigerian masses rather than DEMAND accountability from their government officials, you worship and hail them after they have stolen you blind and built obscene mansions for themselves, and bought big cars, all with your commonwealth. The problem is YOU, the Nigerian masses, you have NO clue, and you are too docile. You demand NOTHING from your leaders while you call them rulers. They know you are easily satisfied, fooled and distracted, they know you do NOT have the nerve and guts to do anything, so they keep screwing you over and over and over again. It will continue until you wake up and stand up for your rights.[/b]
you nko?? Pls what have you done to prove otherwise as a nigerian individual?? If nothing, then you're same as the nigerians you're castigating. angry
Re: Nigerian Naira And Its Value by isleman(m): 10:48am On Oct 10, 2013
i don't really know how to quote pages beyond one page on nairaland as i cant see it again. i would have loved to quote a sentence form the original post. the poster just answered his own questioned unknowingly when he asked...."are there aliens controlling our economy?" the answer is yes! but we the ordinary Nigerian don't just know. we have foreign powers controlling every country's economy including the USA. infact the USA is a captured and sealed country and is used as a template and force to enforce other countries.

we lost it immediately we changed from gold standard to currency standard and also changed our systems of government. i cant say it all,... check out this video on you tube

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mII9NZ8MMVM
Re: Nigerian Naira And Its Value by sokinto: 11:21am On Oct 10, 2013
The value of a nation's currency is dependent on her rulers / leaders ideology . Nigeria's rulers are pro world bank/imf devaluation policy . 4get about those economic jargons about production and foreign investment . If the president and his clique summon the political courage today to revalue and strengthen our naira today it will be done
Re: Nigerian Naira And Its Value by sokinto: 1:04pm On Oct 10, 2013
Imagine a situation where a contractor renders a service to a state or federal govt and that same contractor , on being paid for the job done _ about a billion Naira _ invites a bank official to change the billion naira to dollars . The banker will go for it as his commission is assured . This is a major reason for naira's weakness . The present value of the naira is below it's real value , and it is artificial .
Re: Nigerian Naira And Its Value by onitj: 1:24pm On Oct 10, 2013
booqee: you nko?? Pls what have you done to prove otherwise as a nigerian individual?? If nothing, then you're same as the nigerians you're castigating. angry

we he as done is that he wrote a beautiful epilogue.

the question is what have u done? i mean U
Re: Nigerian Naira And Its Value by kid7soccer(m): 1:55pm On Oct 10, 2013
Abeg na who b the you and nigerians you the refer to. Abeg u no be nigerian, u no fit do someting, ok i c u don get one white man passport and for ur mind u be oyibo, hmmmm shame
moshino:

[b]You have too much Naira chasing too few dollars. The only thing you export to earn Dollars is oil. You have huge balance of trade deficit. You have dilapidated/non-existent infrastructure. You do not attract enough foreign investment because of MASSIVE corruption, insecurity, failed educational system that do not provide developed manpower, you waste too much austere capital on ostentatious living rather than on capital investment. And the Nigerian masses rather than DEMAND accountability from their government officials, you worship and hail them after they have stolen you blind and built obscene mansions for themselves, and bought big cars, all with your commonwealth. The problem is YOU, the Nigerian masses, you have NO clue, and you are too docile. You demand NOTHING from your leaders while you call them rulers. They know you are easily satisfied, fooled and distracted, they know you do NOT have the nerve and guts to do anything, so they keep screwing you over and over and over again. It will continue until you wake up and stand up for your rights.[/b]
Re: Nigerian Naira And Its Value by jpphilips(m): 3:54pm On Oct 10, 2013
amaboss: From time to time, new Naira notes are pumped into the economy, billions of money spent to improve the face of the Naira notes but little attention paid to how to improve the value of the Naira notes. Someone said "Beauty comes from within." The real beauty of the Naira note is not gotten from improving the face. You treasure what you value, so long as the Naira is not valued, new notes will be pumped to persuade people to treasure it.

There was a time Nigeria's currency had the same value as the US Dollar, if not higher. Where did all that go to? Was it not the same Nigerians that handled the economy of Nigeria back then that make it possible? How then is it possible that the Dollar is now over a hundred and fifty times more valued than the Nigerian Naira? Are aliens now controlling our economy? Where we talk of releasing new Naira notes, we should be talking of improving the value of the Naira. Let us all go back to the drawing board and correct where we all got it wrong. There is still hope for the Nigerian Naira.

having a strong currency especially against the dollar is not always the right play, it murders local manufacturing, the devalue of the Naira is basically not about its inability to compete with global currencies but its inability to purchase goods, which boils down to inflation.
we don't need a strong Naira as a developing country, what we need is a Naira that can purchase so many goods.

I want one usd to equal 200NGN but let one naira be able to buy me five plates of food, that is the real deal. so that when i export one shoe for 2usd, i have 10 plates of food. that is the ABC of the chinese revolution.

4 Likes

Re: Nigerian Naira And Its Value by jpphilips(m): 4:13pm On Oct 10, 2013
ms_ogey: You are very silly. Smh. That's how I was at d supermarket today to buy some hair products and while at the counter, d guy infront of me requested a pack of durex. He didn't even do it codedly. I just looked at the guy with scorn. angryYou are very silly. Smh. That's how I was at d supermarket today to buy some hair products and while at the counter, d guy infront of me requested a pack of durex. He didn't even do it codedly. I just looked at the guy with scorn.

he should buy durex codedly and how do you want him to receive anti retro-viral drugs? happily?
Re: Nigerian Naira And Its Value by jpphilips(m): 4:16pm On Oct 10, 2013
manny4life: ^^^

I have to disagree with you, I use discretion by ordering from Amazon.com grin grin grin

discretion for buying rubber? oh! pls, what else do you need discretion for? pissing?
Re: Nigerian Naira And Its Value by manny4life(m): 4:20pm On Oct 10, 2013
jp philips:

discretion for buying rubber? oh! pls, what else do you need discretion for? pissing?

You tell me boss, oh that too. ... embarassed embarassed
Re: Nigerian Naira And Its Value by layuns(m): 4:36pm On Oct 10, 2013
moshino:

What an elaborate post! I do ask myself the following!
What doees it take to wake up from the, NO action attitude the youths embibed?
When do we keep abreast and takE responsibility?
Are we seriously gonna grow old with these?

We all yarn and aspire for a better Nigeria yet deep within we don't want our leaders to account for the wrongs committed simple because of religion and or cultural differences..
Aint we ashame of our misdemeanor, our callous way and irresponsiveness towards issue, issue that surreptiTiously bothered the country.
Please let's save our dear country from these menace that Has plungEd deep within The country.
Am ready and wish to have like minds to build a formidable force that can not be easily decieved nor protrude.
Peace and one love
Re: Nigerian Naira And Its Value by oluboyo04(m): 6:20pm On Oct 10, 2013
Djtm: smh. Someone once said "Why would a country's currency value be twice yours, I mean two times!". Alas our currency is 160times inferior to a dollar. Smh. I remember the times that if you have 1million naira you'd be considered rich. Now if you don't have a million naira you are poor. undecided sad
ki le le yi nwi?
Re: Nigerian Naira And Its Value by 360command: 6:33pm On Oct 10, 2013
honorsam: Though the naira has had a really bad past which could be attributed to corruption and bad leadership,but it has been showing some improvement and stability lately.What we need is a strong economy which in turn translates to a stable currency.A country's currency is not determined by the strength of its economy alone,thus,relating a country's currency to another at a static period of time is meaningless,the both currencies should be watched over time to come to the conclusion of which is of higher value.Purchasing power and the change in value over time is a very nice indicator to that effect.It is totally wrong to say that the Ghana Cedi for example which exchanges GHS1 for #70 is of higher value than the naira. All hands must be on deck to keep it from falling anymore.
you are on point brother . 1000 likes to you. Seriously, that guy wey talk say Ghana cedi get value pass Naira na psycho. We need to talk facts here. And what I have just quoted is the fact.

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Naira And Its Value by Djtm(m): 6:51pm On Oct 10, 2013
oluboyo04: ki le le yi nwi?
don't you understand english?
Re: Nigerian Naira And Its Value by spikesC(m): 10:21pm On Oct 10, 2013
jp philips:

having a strong currency especially against the dollar is not always the right play, it murders local manufacturing, the devalue of the Naira is basically not about its inability to compete with global currencies but its inability to purchase goods, which boils down to inflation.
we don't need a strong Naira as a developing country, what we need is a Naira that can purchase so many goods.

I want one usd to equal 200NGN but let one naira be able to buy me five plates of food, that is the real deal. so that when i export one shoe for 2usd, i have 10 plates of food. that is the ABC of the chinese revolution.

I just want to quote this cool

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Despite Recession, Business Is Good In Nigeria, Says US Firm / CBN Moves Against Banks For Hoarding $5billion / Corruption Not Nigeria’s Bane, Says World Bank

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 51
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.