Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,480 members, 7,819,750 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 10:16 PM

Nairaland Girls, Your Thoughts On Chimamanda's Speech - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Nairaland Girls, Your Thoughts On Chimamanda's Speech (1554 Views)

Your Thoughts On African Americans Moving Back To Africa. / Botha's Speech 1985 (a Must Read!) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nairaland Girls, Your Thoughts On Chimamanda's Speech by ThiefOfHearts(f): 11:21pm On Aug 15, 2013
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hg3umXU_qWc

what are your thoughts smiley

I def dont see her marrying a Naija man and I dont blame her at all if she doesnt.

1 Like

Re: Nairaland Girls, Your Thoughts On Chimamanda's Speech by Nobody: 12:44am On Aug 16, 2013
She actually is married to a Nigerian.

Interesting vid tho.
Re: Nairaland Girls, Your Thoughts On Chimamanda's Speech by ThiefOfHearts(f): 11:52pm On Aug 16, 2013
^Is she? Im surprised

Ive never seen her husband. Must not be that much of a Nigerian if he isnt intimidated by her views grin

and yes excellent vid. she's brilliant
Re: Nairaland Girls, Your Thoughts On Chimamanda's Speech by MamiWata: 2:51am On Aug 17, 2013
I love the way she speaks but what she says lacks a lot of power because she focuses on very superficial examples of discrimination against women. What is not being acknowledged in a restaurant when women are dealing with being confined to fattening houses or working to support their brother's school fees?
Re: Nairaland Girls, Your Thoughts On Chimamanda's Speech by ThiefOfHearts(f): 8:34am On Aug 17, 2013
MamiWata: I love the way she speaks but what she says lacks a lot of power because she focuses on very superficial examples of discrimination against women. What is not being acknowledged in a restaurant when women are dealing with being confined to fattening houses or working to support their brother's school fees?

Nothing superficial in pointing out that men have an issue saying HELLO to a woman simply for having a vagina

or the fact that we cant even go to a hotel without people assuming we're streetwalkers
Re: Nairaland Girls, Your Thoughts On Chimamanda's Speech by Nobody: 2:14pm On Aug 17, 2013
MamiWata: I love the way she speaks but what she says lacks a lot of power because she focuses on very superficial examples of discrimination against women. What is not being acknowledged in a restaurant when women are dealing with being confined to fattening houses or working to support their brother's school fees?

You have to remember that our experiences are different, just the way the experiences of racism for a wealthy black male would be different for a poor black male. Also, the examples she gave was to create a contrast to what her male friend assumed that 'women are no more discriminated against, since they can go to school, be their own bosses these days and that blatant discrimination against women like fattening rooms like you made mention of are currently in the minority.' Our experiences in the corporate field and rural areas should not be taken superficial over the other, because how can we fight things like child bride marriages when we ourselves don't even know we are discriminated against.
Re: Nairaland Girls, Your Thoughts On Chimamanda's Speech by MamiWata: 2:47pm On Aug 17, 2013
stillwater:

You have to remember that our experiences are different, just the way the experiences of racism for a wealthy black male would be different for a poor black male. Also, the examples she gave was to create a contrast to what her male friend assumed that 'women are no more discriminated against, since they can go to school, be their own bosses these days and that blatant discrimination against women like fattening rooms like you made mention of are currently in the minority.' Our experiences in the corporate field and rural areas should not be taken superficial over the other, because how can we fight things like child bride marriages when we ourselves don't even know we are discriminated against.

I am not saying that women in city situations don't face discrimination. I am asserting that the consequences of that discrimination pale in comparison to women who force life altering circumstances and that her message would've been more powerful had she focused on those. We can certainly fight child marriage whether or not we are experiencing hardship as individuals. Some men are fighting against child marriage and certainly they don't experience sexism. Moreover the fact that child marriage is still being debated should shut down the men who are asserting that women are no longer facing discrimination. I'll gladly take being ignored at a restaurant 3 times away versus being married off to someone's grandfather at the age of 12.

1 Like

Re: Nairaland Girls, Your Thoughts On Chimamanda's Speech by MamiWata: 2:52pm On Aug 17, 2013
ThiefOfHearts:

Nothing superficial in pointing out that men have an issue saying HELLO to a woman simply for having a vagina

or the fact that we cant even go to a hotel without people assuming we're streetwalkers

These situations lack gravity when compared to others including having bits of your genitals cut off to keep you chaste. I still strongly believe she could've chosen more compelling arguments but I know she meant well and certainly is a great speaker.

1 Like

Re: Nairaland Girls, Your Thoughts On Chimamanda's Speech by Nobody: 3:20pm On Aug 17, 2013
Didn't someone create a thread for this junk stupid video time ago in the politics section?

How feasible is this bs? - some of you just love listening to tosh to make yourself feel good. Anyway, there's nothing bad feeling good, however, the question is: how practical is this bs?

Even in Europe and America were feminism was birthed - people are tired of that crap already and more people swayed by this fraud are now embracing womanhood and family life. At the end of the day, it looks good on paper, but it's a lose lose situation. There can always be one leader in a team and the MAN is the natural leader. Men think before making a decision but women act based on emotions - that alone should be able to separate the wheat from the chaff.

Anyway, bitter women with high mileage can embrace this junk, who cares? You lot are more like a "banger" with no value nor worth - sing ya kumbaya and feel good. It's a man's world! undecided
Re: Nairaland Girls, Your Thoughts On Chimamanda's Speech by ThiefOfHearts(f): 4:52pm On Aug 17, 2013
Thanks for proving Chimamanda's pointg ShymX

who knew you were useful for at least one thing

Congrats darling! smiley

and last I checked the thread mentioned the women of Nairaland but in typical Naija fashion, a phaggot always has to gatecrash

4 Likes

Re: Nairaland Girls, Your Thoughts On Chimamanda's Speech by Nobody: 5:17pm On Aug 17, 2013
Who cares about naija fashion? Just educating the young ones to stay away from this junk and leave bitter women like yourself, with a mileage in the thousands, to embrace it. At least it makes you feel good about yourself after tons of heartbreaks and being jilted. grin I'm happy for you, anyway.

Well. if you think I'm a "phaggot" you can bring your batty into it. I spare no one, including cougars and I'll smash it to smithereens and hand-over the broken pieces to you and your pseudo-feminism pipe-dream.

Just keep this junk in Nigeria - we don't need it out here. The black family over here is messed up enough, for gits with the same IQ as panders, who just discovered westernisation to come destroy it further.
Re: Nairaland Girls, Your Thoughts On Chimamanda's Speech by Nobody: 7:02pm On Aug 17, 2013
MamiWata:

I am not saying that women in city situations don't face discrimination. I am asserting that the consequences of that discrimination pale in comparison to women who force life altering circumstances and that her message would've been more powerful had she focused on those. We can certainly fight child marriage whether or not we are experiencing hardship as individuals. Some men are fighting against child marriage and certainly they don't experience sexism. Moreover the fact that child marriage is still being debated should shut down the men who are asserting that women are no longer facing discrimination. I'll gladly take being ignored at a restaurant 3 times away versus being married off to someone's grandfather at the age of 12.

I understand what you are saying, but these issues still fall under the same for me. The child bride issue hasn't even shut down the men, some actually tell you that it has nothing to do with us because we are not from the North.

1 Like

Re: Nairaland Girls, Your Thoughts On Chimamanda's Speech by Nobody: 9:59pm On Aug 17, 2013
ThiefOfHearts: Thanks for proving Chimamanda's pointg ShymX

who knew you were useful for at least one thing

Congrats darling! smiley

and last I checked the thread mentioned the women of Nairaland but in typical Naija fashion, a phaggot always has to gatecrash

Damn!! ThiefOfHearts, it seems I had too much Ciroc when I posted the other retort to you. I went in too hard on you, init? I take everything I said back. I just subconsciously thought you were trying to get at me with ya feisty self. Anyway, I think you're a nice girl - shout me, I want to see what you're about.
Re: Nairaland Girls, Your Thoughts On Chimamanda's Speech by MamiWata: 11:41pm On Aug 17, 2013
stillwater:

I understand what you are saying, but these issues still fall under the same for me. The child bride issue hasn't even shut down the men, some actually tell you that it has nothing to do with us because we are not from the North.

Do you agree when they say it has nothing to do with you? I can understand both ways.

However men can not see something right before their eyes and others don't want to acknowledge the harm because they benefit from it to a certain degree. They are comforted in knowing that no matter how small society has made them feel there is always someone they can look down on....whose life doesn't have the same worth as their own. I pray that African women in general and West African in particular support one another. I am Beninese but I know Nigeria is the giant of west Africa and everyone watches when Nigeria takes action. It's so important to get this one right.
Re: Nairaland Girls, Your Thoughts On Chimamanda's Speech by Nobody: 3:10am On Aug 18, 2013
MamiWata:

Do you agree when they say it has nothing to do with you? I can understand both ways.

However men can not see something right before their eyes and others don't want to acknowledge the harm because they benefit from it to a certain degree. They are comforted in knowing that no matter how small society has made them feel there is always someone they can look down on....whose life doesn't have the same worth as their own. I pray that African women in general and West African in particular support one another. I am Beninese but I know Nigeria is the giant of west Africa and everyone watches when Nigeria takes action. It's so important to get this one right.

I didn't agree when the men said that, and my response was that as a Nigerian I have as much right to determine what remains or is introduced in our constitution. For that reason it is not a northern or muslim issue but our issue. After all it's a 'democratic' polity.

I agree with your second part. People do not fight against things that favor them. Therefore, African men see nothing wrong with the status quo which favors them.

1 Like

Re: Nairaland Girls, Your Thoughts On Chimamanda's Speech by MetaPhysical: 5:12am On Aug 18, 2013
Long time TOH wink
Re: Nairaland Girls, Your Thoughts On Chimamanda's Speech by ThiefOfHearts(f): 1:19am On Aug 19, 2013
MetaPhysical: Long time TOH wink

who you be?

everybody just changing names sad
Re: Nairaland Girls, Your Thoughts On Chimamanda's Speech by MetaPhysical: 12:29am On Aug 20, 2013
You have only one everlasting lover in Nairaland, everyone else is a pretender. cheesy
Re: Nairaland Girls, Your Thoughts On Chimamanda's Speech by ThiefOfHearts(f): 6:11am On Aug 22, 2013
MetaPhysical: You have only one everlasting lover in Nairaland, everyone else is a pretender. cheesy

abeg I need more hints jo! sad

(1) (Reply)

Iriji Umuna / 16 Facts About Oron Nation/people- By Apostle Joseph Udoh / Old Igbo Names And Their Meanings

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 58
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.