Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,057 members, 7,818,170 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 09:24 AM

Teju Cole To Prof. Soyinka - " How Does It Feel To Be An Embarrassment? " - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Teju Cole To Prof. Soyinka - " How Does It Feel To Be An Embarrassment? " (16759 Views)

Amaechi And Prof Soyinka At The N82Million Dinner Party - Photos / Amaechi Spent N82million To Host Prof Soyinka To A Dinner - Rivers State / Obasanjo Is An Embarrassment To The Military - Nigeria Defence HQ (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Teju Cole To Prof. Soyinka - " How Does It Feel To Be An Embarrassment? " by MrMcJay(m): 1:52pm On Aug 18, 2013
victorD3: A great man but his project "CAMPUS CULTISM" has taken so much lifes more than the Boko Haram.

Ok all the Yoruba's and Pirates here in NL should murder me and add to the number.

Taken so much 'lifes'? Yoruba's?
WTF? I'm sure you have never seen the four walls of a classroom. I think Nairaland should have a basic IQ benchmark for new sign-ups.

3 Likes

Re: Teju Cole To Prof. Soyinka - " How Does It Feel To Be An Embarrassment? " by Chebaby2: 1:53pm On Aug 18, 2013
Jaidey-one:

If being logical is synonymous with silliness then I want to be silly for the rest of my life. Answer the question. ojukwu couldn't die for biafra. He ran away. Why should a Yoruba man spend time in jail for a biafran cause when ojukwu couldn't die a hero's death for the same cause Answer the question or stfu
why nt take ur time and read dat book there was a country u knw d reason y do u guys so much hate igbo 4 God sake bt he is stil our hero fool mumu
Re: Teju Cole To Prof. Soyinka - " How Does It Feel To Be An Embarrassment? " by kolado(m): 2:11pm On Aug 18, 2013
Soyinka was never a soldier yet he stood four-square to fight againt the military goverment. He was imprisoned because he supported the biafra. Ojukwu ran to abidjan for the war he started because he was a coward who could not finish what he started. How much more do you expect Soyinka who was never a soldier to do when Ojukwu who started the war ran away? Shey! Yorubas are always coward as often said by a few too many. Don't just think you're the only one who can play sentiment card!

1 Like

Re: Teju Cole To Prof. Soyinka - " How Does It Feel To Be An Embarrassment? " by bigmo1(m): 2:15pm On Aug 18, 2013
Orlando Owoh:
Must any other Yoruba suffer because of the foolishness of the Igbo? Who do you think you are, to start with?
Mazi Dede. He lost his grandfather to the Nigerian side at the battle of uzuakoli. Since then, he has been praying fervently ƒσя another civil war so he could avenge the old man's death. But all he would get is e-civil war on nairaland.

4 Likes

Re: Teju Cole To Prof. Soyinka - " How Does It Feel To Be An Embarrassment? " by bigmo1(m): 2:15pm On Aug 18, 2013
Orlando Owoh:
Must any other Yoruba suffer because of the foolishness of the Igbo? Who do you think you are, to start with?
Mazi Dede. He lost his grandfather to the Nigerian side at the battle of uzuakoli. Since then, he has been praying fervently ƒσя another biafran war so he could avenge the old man's death. But all he would get is e-biafran war on nairaland.
Re: Teju Cole To Prof. Soyinka - " How Does It Feel To Be An Embarrassment? " by thehomer: 2:18pm On Aug 18, 2013
An excellent piece.
Re: Teju Cole To Prof. Soyinka - " How Does It Feel To Be An Embarrassment? " by Nobody: 2:27pm On Aug 18, 2013
abokinside: a mere appendage of power!
Damn man! You beat me to it.
Re: Teju Cole To Prof. Soyinka - " How Does It Feel To Be An Embarrassment? " by Nobody: 2:30pm On Aug 18, 2013
Afro connect: Soyinka is both grammatically and politically correct.It is the lack of understanding of grammer that makes Patience Jonathan and naiva Nigerians insult Soyinka.
Our Constitution provides no role for the wife of the president.
The word appendage means "the president's better half/helper" thus Soyinka is totally in order.
I bet he is.

1 Like

Re: Teju Cole To Prof. Soyinka - " How Does It Feel To Be An Embarrassment? " by Nobody: 2:31pm On Aug 18, 2013
Kairoseki77:

Why don't you go win a Nobel Prize then so you can look at them as equals. Mtcheew!
Now we are talking.
Re: Teju Cole To Prof. Soyinka - " How Does It Feel To Be An Embarrassment? " by Nobody: 2:33pm On Aug 18, 2013
manlawal:
it is better 4 you to kill urself rather than to commit suicide
Even if u are dead, what stops ur manhood from living on? Hahahahhahahahhahhaah!
Re: Teju Cole To Prof. Soyinka - " How Does It Feel To Be An Embarrassment? " by logica(m): 2:35pm On Aug 18, 2013
big mo:
Mazi Dede. He lost his grandfather to the Nigerian side at the battle of uzuakoli. Since then, he has been praying fervently ƒσя another biafran war so he could avenge the old man's death. But all he would get is e-biafran war on nairaland.
Ha...no wonder. Many Igbo people are very bitter and simply looking for a Yoruba scapegoat to humor themselves with and "avenge" themselves (and probably under the cover of some other trumped up charges). I hope all Yorubas can be vigilant enough not to fall into any such trap.
Re: Teju Cole To Prof. Soyinka - " How Does It Feel To Be An Embarrassment? " by Nobody: 2:40pm On Aug 18, 2013
logica: Ha...no wonder. Many Igbo people are very bitter and simply looking for a Yoruba scapegoat to humor themselves with and "avenge" themselves (and probably under the cover of some other trumped up charges). I hope all Yorubas can be vigilant enough not to fall into any such trap.
Let them go ahead, this time around, they shall all be wiped out.
Re: Teju Cole To Prof. Soyinka - " How Does It Feel To Be An Embarrassment? " by IGBAACHI: 2:52pm On Aug 18, 2013
Jaidey-one:

Is you IQ reducing by the minute Your dumb response failed to adress the fact in the post you quoted. Wole stood up for biafra. He stands for truth and justice. But now he's being percieved as an enemy just because he said the truth about the situation of things in rivers state. Do you know his vehicle was stoned when he visited rivers state afterwards? Adress the facts or shut up

okay ooo. So now, you know Biafra fought for truth and Justice. Pray, why did your people minus Soyinka fight for lies and injustice?
Re: Teju Cole To Prof. Soyinka - " How Does It Feel To Be An Embarrassment? " by oneeast: 2:55pm On Aug 18, 2013
Soyenka has become a burden and a huge embarrasment to Nigeria. He brought secret cultism that has claim more lives than any war that I know of. I think he should be given abiolaa type passage. Dude does not add anything to the intelectual development of Nigeria if not cultism.
Re: Teju Cole To Prof. Soyinka - " How Does It Feel To Be An Embarrassment? " by Kingspin(m): 3:17pm On Aug 18, 2013
Old news..i think we all saw how the bishops themselve mediated in the River State crises without any atom of noise from any quarter and also, notice the ways the other parties got involved in public eyes...So it a kind of balancing issue out from biased. People are watching.
Re: Teju Cole To Prof. Soyinka - " How Does It Feel To Be An Embarrassment? " by braveheart2012(m): 3:59pm On Aug 18, 2013
This is a really weak exposition. A dizzying, tortuous journey to a poorly supported thesis. The transition from an interesting analogy between religion and theater to the theatrics of the Nigerian politics was at best weak (but arguably missing).

Teju Cole may be a good fiction writer, but he is a weak essayist and he needs to work on his craft before writing articles like this. He will do well to dig-up Soyinka's old essays, to learn how to write essays properly.
Re: Teju Cole To Prof. Soyinka - " How Does It Feel To Be An Embarrassment? " by ShineuEye: 4:03pm On Aug 18, 2013
Kairoseki77:

Who the hell is PEJ??

Something your mother or your progeny will never be >>> wife of the President of The Federal Republic of Nigeria.
Re: Teju Cole To Prof. Soyinka - " How Does It Feel To Be An Embarrassment? " by chakpe: 4:05pm On Aug 18, 2013
Kairoseki77: Wole won the Nobel Prize for Literature and is internationally known and celebrated. This is the same award given to Ernest Hemingway, Jean Paul Sartre, Toni Morrison, William Faulkner, and others.

The Nobel Committee gave Wole his award for being a man: "who in a wide cultural perspective and with poetic overtones fashions the drama of existence."

Who the hell is PEJ??
And how has the nobel prize impacted your miserable life? is wole soyinka not a Nigerian;or is he not of age to contest for the Presidency of Nigeria? The Nigeria presidency is a serious biz n not some literary bullsh*t
Re: Teju Cole To Prof. Soyinka - " How Does It Feel To Be An Embarrassment? " by Nobody: 4:19pm On Aug 18, 2013
kennyonthrone: LWKMD. *my fellow- Widows *i lol! Datz d'knd grammer our Hippopotamus of a first lady speaks

Pls correct yourself. She is not hippopotamus. Go back to soyinkationary and check the right word for her!!!
Re: Teju Cole To Prof. Soyinka - " How Does It Feel To Be An Embarrassment? " by kcpragmatik(m): 4:28pm On Aug 18, 2013
I try so hard nt to belong to parties dat constructively make a FOOL out of demselvez...due respect!
One yoruba man served jail term for brokering peace, while another made policies dat sank dis so-called BIAFRANz...
Re: Teju Cole To Prof. Soyinka - " How Does It Feel To Be An Embarrassment? " by Samxiulee: 4:49pm On Aug 18, 2013
kcpragmatik: I try so hard nt to belong to parties dat constructively make a FOOL out of demselvez...due respect!
One yoruba man served jail term for brokering peace, while another made policies dat sank dis so-called BIAFRANz...

don't forget the one that was killed by ojukwu when he was fighting for biafra,YORUBAs loves the Igbos but the feelings from the igbo side is not the same,this is before the civil war,am still trying to figure why.

1 Like

Re: Teju Cole To Prof. Soyinka - " How Does It Feel To Be An Embarrassment? " by Nobody: 5:38pm On Aug 18, 2013
DerideGull:

For the sake of reasonability, please name one additional Yoruba who spent almost 3 years in jail because of Biafran issue.
Can't you ibos be on ur own... Must yorubas help you wt ur Shits... Well, Victor Banjo died for biafra and he's was killed by Biafrans... Ok? Dunce Victor Banjo died, wole soyinka waz imprisiond while coward ojukwu ran away... Is time for yoruba to start caring for diaselvex only and nt ingrate imbeciles anymre
Re: Teju Cole To Prof. Soyinka - " How Does It Feel To Be An Embarrassment? " by Tjesctacy(m): 6:30pm On Aug 18, 2013
Teenage Money:

I said summary Please
Somtin is definitely wrong wit U̶̲̥̅̊ for quoting d whole writeup just to show ♓ό̲̣̣̣̥ω stvpid U̶̲̥̅̊ r.
Re: Teju Cole To Prof. Soyinka - " How Does It Feel To Be An Embarrassment? " by Chigorkizz(m): 6:35pm On Aug 18, 2013
I can see dat nairaland is a place where yorubas rants and call themselves king.
A comon yoruba man always tinks since nairaland is own by a yoruba man there4 it has bcome their ancestral root.
If soyinka is ur god then dnt tink he is to others.
If u love evritin he does whether gud or bad then ur yoruba race is an embarassment.QUOTE ME!

2 Likes

Re: Teju Cole To Prof. Soyinka - " How Does It Feel To Be An Embarrassment? " by victorD3: 6:38pm On Aug 18, 2013
Mr McJay:

Taken so much 'lifes'? Yoruba's?
WTF? I'm sure you have never seen the four walls of a classroom. I think Nairaland should have a basic IQ benchmark for new sign-ups.

You need to learn how to read b4 u start embarassing yourself in a forum of over 1million people.
Re: Teju Cole To Prof. Soyinka - " How Does It Feel To Be An Embarrassment? " by oride: 6:57pm On Aug 18, 2013
Guys,
It's amazing how some of us can turn everything into a tribal war. This is a violation of rule 1. We should read the post before posting our comments. Comments should be constructive never destructive. I found this piece an interesting one and decided to share. If you indeed read it, TC didn't tread along tribal lines, no reader should either.
Re: Teju Cole To Prof. Soyinka - " How Does It Feel To Be An Embarrassment? " by soludokay(m): 7:30pm On Aug 18, 2013
I just love ds man,his command of English and above all his selfless fight in support of anything that is seen by most as morally good. Long life to u Baba!
Re: Teju Cole To Prof. Soyinka - " How Does It Feel To Be An Embarrassment? " by Simonet: 8:04pm On Aug 18, 2013
It is only in Nigeria that an intellectually deficient person like Patience Jonathan can call Soyinka an embarrassment.

I dare Patience to give a speech to an international audience without a script!

Is it not because of stolen money people like her even get to see the light of day? angry angry

1 Like

Re: Teju Cole To Prof. Soyinka - " How Does It Feel To Be An Embarrassment? " by Ellashow: 8:06pm On Aug 18, 2013
Jaidey-one:

Lol wole is just Yoruba by birth. He's a detribalised Nigerian. I'll answer your question if you can tell me why ojukwu ran away to abijan instead of waiting to be captured so he can die for what he believed in. If your leader can't die for biafra why should a Yoruba man spend even a day in jail for supporting the biafran cause

You got me cracking, best reply.
Re: Teju Cole To Prof. Soyinka - " How Does It Feel To Be An Embarrassment? " by belicov(m): 8:07pm On Aug 18, 2013
Orlando Owoh: I doubt if anybody in this generation equals Wole Soyinka. There is hardly any field in the humanities he can't fit in: history, politics, grammar, drama, philosophy, sociology, literature, mysticism, etc.
dat y he is a theatre artist we are vast I A̶̲̥̅♏ prowd tew be a thespian like wole soyinka
Re: Teju Cole To Prof. Soyinka - " How Does It Feel To Be An Embarrassment? " by ilebaami: 9:17pm On Aug 18, 2013
I can only compare the reaction of Yorubas on this forum to the attitude of Germans and the Aryan race to the Jews and worse still, the negros in the days before the Berlin Olympics '38. Yorubas believe they are superior to the Bini, Igbo, Ijaw, Hausa and the like. This is pure fallacy, fueled by political desires of propagandists to keep the Yoruba vote intact. The only Yoruba that got both a Yoruba and National mandate at 1st attempt is MKO. He was not an Awoist. Yorubas like many of us in their midst are Hopelessly Misled. The Yorubas need compassion, if not help, from becoming delusional and trying to frustrate the Nigerian space like Boko Haram did.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

650 People Have Died Since Buhari Took Over - AFP / Yahaya Bello Picks Another Voter’s Card In Okene / Thugs Invade Pro Natasha Akpoti's Meeting, Set Fire On Valuables

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 41
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.