Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,402 members, 7,819,430 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 04:06 PM

Gay Activists Forces Donnie Mcclurkin To Withdraw From Martin Luther's Concert - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Gay Activists Forces Donnie Mcclurkin To Withdraw From Martin Luther's Concert (689 Views)

Don Moen, Donnie Mcclurkin, Frank Edwards Arrive Lagos For "The Experience" / PROTESTANTISM EXPOSED: 38 Most Ridiculous Things Martin Luther Ever Wrote / How To Love Your Enemies By Rev Martin Luther King Jr. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Gay Activists Forces Donnie Mcclurkin To Withdraw From Martin Luther's Concert by BigBenoski(m): 9:00am On Aug 17, 2013
Donnie McClurkin Withdraws from MLK Gig at Mayor’s Request

Donnie McClurkin*At the request of D.C. Mayor Vincent Gray, gospel singer Donnie McClurkin, who has said God delivered him from “the curse” of homosexuality, withdrew as a performer at a city-sponsored concert on Saturday night, Aug. 10, at the Martin Luther King Jr. Memorial.

McClurkin’s withdrawal from the event, which is being organized by the D.C. Commission on the Arts and Humanities, came one day after local gay activist and longtime civil rights advocate Phil Pannell called the gospel singer’s public statements on homosexuality “vile.”

Pannell and other LGBT activists said McClurkin’s participation in the event would be at odds with King’s call for ending discrimination and injustice against all people.

“The Mayor directed the D.C. Commission on the Arts and Humanities to ask Donnie McClurkin to withdraw,” Gray spokesperson Doxie McCoy told the Washington Blade in an email. “No disrespect to Mr. McClurkin, but Mayor Gray thought it best that he withdraw from the concert in the name of not having his appearance to be a distraction at an event about peace, love and justice for all,” McCoy said.

In a separate statement, Commission Executive Director Lionell Thomas said, “So that Donnie’s participation did not become a distraction from the goals of the program, a mutual decision was reached between the DCCAH and his management team that it was best for him to withdraw from the event.”

In statements in press interviews and at his concerts throughout the country, McClurkin, a Grammy Award winning musician, emerged as one of the lead figures in the so-called “ex-gay” movement beginning in 2007. On at least one appearance he compared being gay to a drug addiction and said it was God’s plan that gays should change their sexual orientation.

When challenged by gay activists and others who dispute claims that someone can change their sexual orientation, McClurkin fired back at his critics.

“Don’t tell me that I stand up and say vile words against the gay community because I don’t,” CNN quoted him as saying at an October 2007 concert for then-U.S. Sen. Barack Obama’s presidential campaign. “I don’t speak against homosexuality. I tell you that God delivered me from homosexuality.”

The concert at the King Memorial at 8 p.m. Saturday was entitled “Reflections on Peace: From Gandhi to King.” It’s the first in a series of events scheduled to take place in D.C. over the next two weeks to commemorate the 50th anniversary of the 1963 March on Washington for civil rights at which King delivered his famous “I Have A Dream” speech.

http://www.eurweb.com/2013/08/donnie-mcclurkin-withdraws-from-mlk-gig-at-mayors-request/

Re: Gay Activists Forces Donnie Mcclurkin To Withdraw From Martin Luther's Concert by Don4Harry(m): 9:09am On Aug 17, 2013
hmmmmm.... Don't know what these gospel singers are becoming...
Re: Gay Activists Forces Donnie Mcclurkin To Withdraw From Martin Luther's Concert by Lordave: 9:29am On Aug 17, 2013
So Donnie was gay shocked
Re: Gay Activists Forces Donnie Mcclurkin To Withdraw From Martin Luther's Concert by BigBenoski(m): 9:32am On Aug 17, 2013
Lordave: So Donnie was gay shocked
he WAS . . just like paul WAS 'killing' christians..

2 Likes

Re: Gay Activists Forces Donnie Mcclurkin To Withdraw From Martin Luther's Concert by EvilBrain1(m): 10:41am On Aug 17, 2013
Lordave: So Donnie was gay shocked

More like Donnie is gay.

He may be able to suppress the urges, but they are inborn and there is no cure.

Expect to see a big gay sëx scandal involving him in a few years.
Re: Gay Activists Forces Donnie Mcclurkin To Withdraw From Martin Luther's Concert by BigBenoski(m): 11:11am On Aug 17, 2013
Evil Brain:

More like Donnie is gay.

He may be able to suppress the urges, but they are inborn and there is no cure.

Expect to see a big gay sëx scandal involving him in a few years.
i beg to disagree with u sir. homosexuality is everything but 'inborn'. Its rather demonic because it is not normal for a man to desire a fellow man sexually. Imagine yourself being sexually attracted to some1 like oshiomole, obasanjo, tinubu......does that sound normal to you? some gays only take up that sexual orientation after being raped. now, how do u explain that? He won't go back to it because 'God has delivered him'.

(1) (Reply)

.. But Obama (your white god) Has Never Banned A Church In America / My People I Need Interpretations To My Dream / deleted

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 21
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.