Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,300 members, 7,819,018 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 10:02 AM

How To Love Your Enemies By Rev Martin Luther King Jr. - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / How To Love Your Enemies By Rev Martin Luther King Jr. (22663 Views)

Dr Martin Luther King Jr The False Prophet God Spoke About Specifically / Rccg Open Heavens Devotion Wednesday 27th March 2013 Relating With Enemies By Pa / Praying For Your Enemies To Die, Is It Right Or Wrong? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

How To Love Your Enemies By Rev Martin Luther King Jr. by ono(m): 1:17am On Nov 24, 2013
After the terrible ordeal I went through earlier this year in the hands of loved ones, I sought for ways to have peace with myself and them. So far, it has been futile. But yesterday, the daily verse from the Bible site I read was about forgiving our enemies.

''But I say unto you which hear, Love your enemies, do good to them which hate you, Bless them that curse you, and pray for them which despitefully use you'' - Luke 6:27.

I was dumbfounded by that verse of the Scripture. For a while, I couldn't think straight. If the Lord had not rescued me from the hands of those people, I probably would be dead meat by now. How is it then that the Lord commanded us to do this? - maybe he wants us to just want him fighting ALL our battles.

Then, I typed the words: ''how to love your enemies'' into google search engine, and several sites popped out - as usual. But I picked this particular one, because after reading through (it's very long but interesting), I got some direction on how to go about it. And it was a sermon on the topic by the famous American Baptist Pastor, Martin Luther King. Now on a second thought, I decided to share with folks on this board. Happy reading - if you can!

I found there's an audio recording of the sermon too - so you can play that back, if you want to listen to it.
http://mlk-kpp01.stanford.edu/index.php/encyclopedia/documentsentry/doc_loving_your_enemies/

10 Likes

Re: How To Love Your Enemies By Rev Martin Luther King Jr. by dridowu: 5:13pm On Nov 24, 2013
I love ds Martin Luther King sermon.
Thank God i block FTC pple

1 Like

Re: How To Love Your Enemies By Rev Martin Luther King Jr. by Nobody: 5:14pm On Nov 24, 2013
Africa needs this sermon...theres so much hate between blacks.

And most times you wonder if thats what hinders the growth of this continent..

8 Likes

Re: How To Love Your Enemies By Rev Martin Luther King Jr. by princeonx: 5:14pm On Nov 24, 2013
Ok
Re: How To Love Your Enemies By Rev Martin Luther King Jr. by Xking(m): 5:15pm On Nov 24, 2013
Re: How To Love Your Enemies By Rev Martin Luther King Jr. by Willgates(m): 5:20pm On Nov 24, 2013
I tire for d things were dey make fp here o

1 Like

Re: How To Love Your Enemies By Rev Martin Luther King Jr. by Nobody: 5:20pm On Nov 24, 2013
so loving KESIE
Re: How To Love Your Enemies By Rev Martin Luther King Jr. by checkdate(m): 5:21pm On Nov 24, 2013
= ;D1st: we start to love boko haram sect members...
=2nd: stop hating our pastors that own private jets. . .

1 Like

Re: How To Love Your Enemies By Rev Martin Luther King Jr. by geeworld1(m): 5:21pm On Nov 24, 2013
Nice right-up, bt I dnt jst like reading long stories
Re: How To Love Your Enemies By Rev Martin Luther King Jr. by boogiejay(m): 5:21pm On Nov 24, 2013
ī ς ม
Re: How To Love Your Enemies By Rev Martin Luther King Jr. by checkdate(m): 5:23pm On Nov 24, 2013
geeworld1: Nice right-up, bt I dnt jst like reading long stories
PLEASE START LEARNING TO DO SO. FOR YOU OWN GOOD.

5 Likes

Re: How To Love Your Enemies By Rev Martin Luther King Jr. by Big4wig(m): 5:24pm On Nov 24, 2013
I will treat an enemy exactly d same way he treated me..shikina. angry

3 Likes

Re: How To Love Your Enemies By Rev Martin Luther King Jr. by IAMBREEZY: 5:26pm On Nov 24, 2013
Nice
Re: How To Love Your Enemies By Rev Martin Luther King Jr. by tobechi74: 5:28pm On Nov 24, 2013
Tired of listenin to various sermon

your action should do the preaching not your lips

1 Like

Re: How To Love Your Enemies By Rev Martin Luther King Jr. by Decapo: 5:36pm On Nov 24, 2013
Ok...noted
Re: How To Love Your Enemies By Rev Martin Luther King Jr. by iamteaser: 5:39pm On Nov 24, 2013
Love them as the holy book said Op and I hope you still do when they finally get you six feet under.
Re: How To Love Your Enemies By Rev Martin Luther King Jr. by moderatorr: 5:41pm On Nov 24, 2013
lol
Re: How To Love Your Enemies By Rev Martin Luther King Jr. by Lyoncrescent: 5:44pm On Nov 24, 2013
Nice Sermon.

He, Martin Luther king probably needed this sermon though cos he was a serial and notorious adulterer. You can google that .

1 Like

Re: How To Love Your Enemies By Rev Martin Luther King Jr. by Samcathe: 5:48pm On Nov 24, 2013
The best way to live a stress free life full of joy and peace is to learn how to forgive even before you are offended........

9 Likes

Re: How To Love Your Enemies By Rev Martin Luther King Jr. by 50calibre(m): 5:54pm On Nov 24, 2013
Unfortunately, I'm not blessed with the ability to forgive my enemies, talk much of loving them.

We can put aside out differences and work together if its in our interest but it changes nothing & someday when I get the chance, I won't hesitate to get back at that person.

3 Likes

Re: How To Love Your Enemies By Rev Martin Luther King Jr. by ono(m): 6:00pm On Nov 24, 2013
50calibre: Unfortunately, I'm not blessed with the ability to forgive my enemies, talk much of loving them.

We can put aside out differences and work together if its in our interest but it changes nothing & someday when I get the chance, I won't hesitate to get back at that person.

Ironically, this was one of the exact things MLK spoke against!

"Love your enemies." Because if you hate your enemies, you have no way to redeem and to transform your enemies. But if you love your enemies, you will discover that at the very root of love is the power of redemption''

''Another way that you love your enemy is this: When the opportunity presents itself for you to defeat your enemy, that is the time which you must not do it.''

''When you rise to the level of love, of its great beauty and power, you seek only to defeat evil systems. Individuals who happen to be caught up in that system, you love, but you seek to defeat the system''

8 Likes

Re: How To Love Your Enemies By Rev Martin Luther King Jr. by simdam500(m): 6:06pm On Nov 24, 2013
Re: How To Love Your Enemies By Rev Martin Luther King Jr. by Pattey(m): 6:06pm On Nov 24, 2013
50calibre: Unfortunately, I'm not blessed with the ability to forgive my enemies, talk much of loving them.

Sounds pretty much like moi. . . Is it good or bad? Irrelevant grin

EndNote: for someone like me, "forgiveness" isn't really the issue, its Forgetting! I can remember a LOT of details with almost Zero effort! . . . & then the rage comes again embarassed

. . . Well, maybe its cos I do to others as I want to be treated, and when they fail to reciprocate, I see it as valid reason to take the gloves off!!!

1 Like

Re: How To Love Your Enemies By Rev Martin Luther King Jr. by Sknda(m): 6:10pm On Nov 24, 2013
A wonderful daily devotional blog for you www.gospelshower..com
Re: How To Love Your Enemies By Rev Martin Luther King Jr. by isalegan2: 6:15pm On Nov 24, 2013
Lyoncrescent: Nice Sermon.

He, Martin Luther king probably needed this sermon though cos he was a serial and notorious adulterer. You can google that .

And you know this for a fact because his wife said so? Or someone he forced his attentions on came crying to you? Oh, that's right! No one ever came forward to say such. angry angry angry

I hope you're not one of those Clinton supporters, because there is an actual accusation of rape, not just "adultery," against him. undecided

2 Likes

Re: How To Love Your Enemies By Rev Martin Luther King Jr. by Nobody: 6:22pm On Nov 24, 2013
nutty_hnic: Africa needs this sermon...theres so much hate between blacks.

And most times you wonder if thats what hinders the growth of this continent..

NOT JUST AFRICA MY BROTHER BUT EVERYWHERE BLACK PEOPLE ARE

2 Likes

Re: How To Love Your Enemies By Rev Martin Luther King Jr. by Nobody: 6:31pm On Nov 24, 2013
tobechi74: Tired of listenin to various sermon

your action should do the preaching not your lips

Maybe u havent read about this man. So i really cant blame u!
Re: How To Love Your Enemies By Rev Martin Luther King Jr. by Philistine(m): 6:34pm On Nov 24, 2013
Lyoncrescent: Nice Sermon.

most of ur comments in NL are baseless and unfounded.it's like u usually comment before u think, or u don't even think at all.

3 Likes

Re: How To Love Your Enemies By Rev Martin Luther King Jr. by chinaman666(m): 6:44pm On Nov 24, 2013
Christianity makes no sense. In the Old Testament, the Israelites were punished for not completely committing genocide to their "enemies" as decreed by their god. In the New Testament, we're told to love our enemies and turn the other cheek.
Re: How To Love Your Enemies By Rev Martin Luther King Jr. by Nobody: 6:48pm On Nov 24, 2013
Love kwa?? My enemies??

No, No.

To be sincere..., my enemies dont need love. Esp, the witches and wizards on this Nairaland.
Re: How To Love Your Enemies By Rev Martin Luther King Jr. by Truthhurtss: 6:48pm On Nov 24, 2013
ono:

Ironically, this was one of the exact things MLK spoke against!

"Love your enemies." Because if you hate your enemies, you have no way to redeem and to transform your enemies. But if you love your enemies, you will discover that at the very root of love is the power of redemption''

''Another way that you love your enemy is this: When the opportunity presents itself for you to defeat your enemy, that is the time which you must not do it.''
You seriously need a copy of 48 laws of power.

1 Like

Re: How To Love Your Enemies By Rev Martin Luther King Jr. by Businesstools(m): 7:03pm On Nov 24, 2013
One of the greatest, if not the greatest sermon I have read in my entire life. Nigerian clergymen should take dressing from their western counterparts. A sermon should be inspiring, at the same time interesting. There's no point quoting five to ten verses just to pass a message.

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Photos From Helen Oritsejafor's Birthday Celebration / Philippines Sing In Igbo At The Lord's Chosen Church (Video) / Kukah To Buhari: Nigerians Didnt Vote You To Blame Jonathan

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 30
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.