Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,895 members, 7,817,631 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 03:55 PM

Is AMALA Now A Bad Food? - Food - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Food / Is AMALA Now A Bad Food? (5983 Views)

Bad Food Combination You Actually Enjoyed / Guy Accidentally Pays N1.2Million For A Plate Of Amala And Soup / Amala And Gbegiri Lovers` Forum (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Is AMALA Now A Bad Food? by Nobody: 11:59am On Aug 17, 2013
Dear Nairalanders

Good morning o. I have been away for sometime and back to see how things are going. I have noticed there are lots of complain to Mods about comments referring to AMALA. So am wondering, are there people who are pained to read comments on AMALA?

I understand it is made from yam peels and it comes out black and thick like garri. I also gather it is mostly combined with ewedu, draw soup (what we call ofe in Igbo land), egusi, and other lovely Nigerian soups. See pictures of it attached. As a kid, i grew up seeing people eat this without any shame in restaurants but with what i see on nairaland today it seems this food is now portrayed in a bad way.

I want your opinion please and also, should it be banned on nairaland? If so, should we also stop making comments on garri?

Thank you grin distinguished nairalanders and wonderful hardworking Mods.

1 Like

Re: Is AMALA Now A Bad Food? by demelza: 12:25pm On Aug 17, 2013
You have resumed from the politics section abi? Have a field day, its your time
Re: Is AMALA Now A Bad Food? by Nobody: 12:28pm On Aug 17, 2013
demelza: You have resumed from the politics section abi? Have a field day, its your time

Sorry o bros i don't understand what you mean. Please explain.
Re: Is AMALA Now A Bad Food? by demelza: 12:31pm On Aug 17, 2013
Wasnt it just this morning that Lagosbabe was trying to point out your tribalistic tendencies in the complaint section?
And I no be bros!
Re: Is AMALA Now A Bad Food? by Nobody: 12:34pm On Aug 17, 2013
demelza: Wasnt it just this morning that Lagosbabe was trying to point out your tribalistic tendencies in the complaint section?
And I no be bros!

That girl was hot tempered and paranoid. Show me the tendencies if you can please. I hate false accusations. Whether you like it or not, you are my grin bros in ONE NIGERIA.
Re: Is AMALA Now A Bad Food? by StevenJay01(m): 7:31pm On Aug 17, 2013
U dudes nid to b examined wit una comments dis days

1 Like

Re: Is AMALA Now A Bad Food? by Gbawes: 1:53am On Aug 18, 2013
Personally I don't eat shiitx, and would not recommend shiitx either. Anyway its all bull shiittx.

3 Likes

Re: Is AMALA Now A Bad Food? by Nobody: 2:27am On Aug 18, 2013
^^^

But should anyone who eats it be ashamed to the extent of going to report mods whenever someone makes a comment about amala?

I was truly shocked some nairalanders were reporting and asking mods to ban others simply for comments like "have you eaten amala and soup today?"

This is the reason i want a debate about it now though am sure it may be avoided by many.
Re: Is AMALA Now A Bad Food? by donpope1(m): 5:40am On Aug 20, 2013
Lolz

2 Likes

Re: Is AMALA Now A Bad Food? by Nobody: 8:01am On Aug 20, 2013
That stuff looks like moulded faeces.

I understand why it has become a thing of shame and embarrassment to those who eat it. I mean, who would be proud of eating poo. . . .or something that looks like poo?

5 Likes

Re: Is AMALA Now A Bad Food? by Nobody: 6:01pm On Aug 20, 2013
^^^

Oh so that could be the reason they now get offended when they read about amala on nairaland? Wow. I was wondering if the mods will enhance this thread but it clearly seems they don't want to
Re: Is AMALA Now A Bad Food? by Nobody: 9:45pm On Aug 20, 2013
pro01: That stuff looks like moulded faeces.

I understand why it has become a thing of shame and embarrassment to those who eat it. I mean, who can be proud of eating poo. . . .or something that looks like poo?
so na like this your own faeces BLACK, na dog you be?

7 Likes

Re: Is AMALA Now A Bad Food? by Jaideyone(m): 7:07am On Aug 21, 2013
pro01: That stuff looks like moulded faeces.

I understand why it has become a thing of shame and embarrassment to those who eat it. I mean, who can be proud of eating poo. . . .or something that looks like poo?
ignorance is bliss. You call that poo? U don't know what you're missing tongue I love amala. Btw its not made from yam peel. Its made from the yam itself after the peel has been removed.

Btw my ibo babe in ketu loves amala too wink
are you in Lagos? I can tell her to make you a plate of amala with gbegiri soup!!!

Proudly yoruba cool

12 Likes

Re: Is AMALA Now A Bad Food? by gratiaeo(m): 11:13am On Aug 21, 2013
Nice food
Re: Is AMALA Now A Bad Food? by ShineuEye: 5:30pm On Aug 21, 2013
gratiaeo: Nice food

Whatever you do don't eat it outside Nigeria before oyimbo starts thinking its Blackman's food.

[size=15pt]I believe it should not be sold publicly.[/size]

3 Likes

Re: Is AMALA Now A Bad Food? by TippyTop(m): 5:55pm On Aug 21, 2013
Is this another tribalism topic or just food for thought (pardon the pun).

1 Like

Re: Is AMALA Now A Bad Food? by Nobody: 6:47pm On Aug 21, 2013
^^^

It is food for thought but the mods have avoided this thread. A very passionate topic which i expect to provide everyone an opportunity to share their views. angry
Re: Is AMALA Now A Bad Food? by Fhemmmy: 6:50pm On Aug 21, 2013
Never liked it, Gimme some White Amala or even Eba - but the Black one, no way

1 Like

Re: Is AMALA Now A Bad Food? by BrosPeter: 7:48pm On Aug 21, 2013
Tippy Top: Is this another tribalism topic or just food for thought (pardon the pun).

More like shi..t for thought and I also believe it should not be sold in public.

Anyone willing to eat shi..t should do so in the comfort of his toilet.

1 Like

Re: Is AMALA Now A Bad Food? by Nobody: 8:07pm On Aug 21, 2013
people eat amala publicly in america. you people need to let people be. this is an ethnic food and it is ethnically acceptable to eat it 'publicly' and the oyinbos can eat their hearts out or join me to eat it.

1 Like

Re: Is AMALA Now A Bad Food? by Nobody: 3:06am On Aug 22, 2013
Shine u Eye:

Whatever you do don't eat it outside Nigeria before oyimbo starts thinking its Blackman's food.

[size=15pt]I believe it should not be sold publicly.[/size]

Are you for real now??

ALL I mean ALL my neighbours are white funfun pure white thru and thru eat amala and egusi soup every time I'm having gathering in my house.

Is this a joke? HeLL yeah it's black man's food and I love it.
Re: Is AMALA Now A Bad Food? by Nobody: 3:09am On Aug 22, 2013
Tusky44: ^^^

But should anyone who eats it be ashamed to the extent of going to report mods whenever someone makes a comment about amala?

I was truly shocked some nairalanders were reporting and asking mods to ban others simply for comments like "have you eaten amala and soup today?"

This is the reason i want a debate about it now though am sure it may be avoided by many.

Is this in fact True ??
Ha ha undecided

1 Like

Re: Is AMALA Now A Bad Food? by Nobody: 3:09am On Aug 22, 2013
Front page please mods...

1 Like

Re: Is AMALA Now A Bad Food? by Nobody: 7:22pm On Aug 22, 2013
^^

It's all good bro. I understand not everything will make front page but even the number of views and comments so far make me happy to continue making positive grin contributions to Nairaland. That way, all stakeholders of Nairaland will prosper.
Re: Is AMALA Now A Bad Food? by Fhemmmy: 7:23pm On Aug 22, 2013
jidegirl12:

Are you for real now??

ALL I mean ALL my neighbours are white funfun pure white thru and thru eat amala and egusi soup every time I'm having gathering in my house.

Is this a joke? HeLL yeah it's black man's food and I love it.

I used to love the Black Amala till my Aunt in law made it and since then, wont touch the black one with longest pole, but gimme the white one or Eba any day and i am happy

2 Likes

Re: Is AMALA Now A Bad Food? by armyofone(m): 9:48pm On Aug 22, 2013
not sure why people hate amala. Is it the color? I have seen real black Hispanic food. The Hispanic version of ewa agoyin is brownish too cheesy

I like ONLY plantain amala (made from dried green plantain). I don't like the yam/cassava amala.

I also like it with nicely made fresh bitter leaf soup/ogbono/atarodo stew or native egusi.

Ewedu or okra as soups for amala is a no no for me.
Re: Is AMALA Now A Bad Food? by Fhemmmy: 11:44pm On Aug 22, 2013
armyofone: not sure why people hate amala. Is it the color? I have seen real black Hispanic food. The Hispanic version of ewa agoyin is brownish too cheesy

I like ONLY plantain amala (made from dried green plantain). I don't like the yam/cassava amala.

I also like it with nicely made fresh bitter leaf soup/ogbono/atarodo stew or native egusi.

I am already hungry
Re: Is AMALA Now A Bad Food? by armyofone(m): 3:08am On Aug 23, 2013
lol I am already hungry too grin

Fhemmmy:

I am already hungry
Re: Is AMALA Now A Bad Food? by Fhemmmy: 1:50pm On Aug 23, 2013
armyofone: lol I am already hungry too grin

Lol
Re: Is AMALA Now A Bad Food? by Nobody: 11:45pm On Aug 23, 2013
Fhemmmy:

I used to love the Black Amala till my Aunt in law made it and since then, wont touch the black one with longest pole, but gimme the white one or Eba any day and i am happy

Lmao!

What's wrong with how she made it if you don't mind to share? ... Amala is a tricky swallow to prepare, either it's perfect or a complete disaster grin

armyofone: not sure why people hate amala. Is it the color? I have seen real black Hispanic food. The Hispanic version of ewa agoyin is brownish too cheesy

Yum!

I like mine with bean soup and ewedu combo or egusi soup.

Surprisingly, my amala is not as black as that one in pic up there.. Anyway amala is amala cheesy cheesy dear Gawd of NL!
Re: Is AMALA Now A Bad Food? by Fhemmmy: 11:56pm On Aug 23, 2013
jidegirl12:

Lmao!

What's wrong with how she made it if you don't mind to share? ... Amala is a tricky swallow to prepare, either it's perfect or a complete disaster grin

I have no idea how she made it oh, but there were some left over that by the morning turned liquid, i mean the hard thing of last night now is like paste and watery . . . that scared the daylight out of me and i have stayed away from Black Amala since then.
Re: Is AMALA Now A Bad Food? by Nobody: 5:44pm On Aug 24, 2013
Fhemmmy:

I have no idea how she made it oh, but there were some left over that by the morning turned liquid, i mean the hard thing of last night now is like paste and watery . . . that scared the daylight out of me and i have stayed away from Black Amala since then.

I see grin

From my own deduction, Amala is one of few swallows that requires lot of water to prepare... So when it stays fallow for a period of time , ofcourse it's gonna lose its turbidity ( appears mushy .. ayama grin) ... Funny tho.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Happy Fisherman Catches Giant Stingray-trygon Fish In Rivers State (see Pictures / Ghana Food.....dont Look If Ur Hungry Ohh / Teens Can Cook Foundation

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 45
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.