Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,792 members, 7,820,785 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 09:34 PM

Intelligent People Of Nairaland, I Need Your Advice - Nairaland / General - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Intelligent People Of Nairaland, I Need Your Advice (506 Views)

"Young Alhaji" Helps Displaced People Of Agatu With Food Items. / Whose Nairaland's I.D Do You See Most, On Almost Or Every Thread You Open? / Im Leaving Nairaland: I Would Miss You All (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Intelligent People Of Nairaland, I Need Your Advice by Adinije(f): 3:56pm On Aug 17, 2013
Recently I was appointed one of the executives of a certain association. I would have turned down the offer due to certain reasons but it happened in such a way that I couldn't. The reason is that I have phobia of speaking in crowd no matter how small. This phobia has done great damage to my social life, it had made me live in closed shell of self. And now I am faced with the challenges of hosting a meeting soon. Pls beloved Nairalanders, what do you suggest I do? You candid advice is needed.
Re: Intelligent People Of Nairaland, I Need Your Advice by Nobody: 4:12pm On Aug 17, 2013
Adinije: Recently I was appointed one of the executives of a certain association. I would have turned down the offer due to certain reasons but it happened in such a way that I couldn't. The reason is that I have phobia of speaking in crowd no matter how small. This phobia has done great damage to my social life, it had made me live in closed shell of self. And now I am faced with the challenges of hosting a meeting soon. Pls beloved Nairalanders, what do you suggest I do? You candid advice is needed.

School is out and pupils nd students are on hols! Why don't u sign up for holiday lessons and practice speaking in a crowd by teaching them!!! Just teach any subject you can and imagine the students are your fellow members!!

That should help,I think.
Goodluck jonathan...
Re: Intelligent People Of Nairaland, I Need Your Advice by theSpark(m): 4:14pm On Aug 17, 2013
Keep calm. Breathe easy, make points of what you want to say before hand. I used to have this problem too, am getting over it. Don't over think about the meeting. It will make you tense. When u are at the meeting take deep breaths. Greet key people at the meeting before hand. It will help get u familiarized and less tense.

When reading to a crowd, look above their eyes. Stare at their foreheads, and glance around. Above all be as informal as allowed.

If its a small meeting being passionate about what you are about to say makes it less a phobic event.

Hope these are helpful

theSpark
Re: Intelligent People Of Nairaland, I Need Your Advice by littlejoe8(m): 4:35pm On Aug 17, 2013
Adinije: Recently I was appointed one of the executives of a certain association. I would have turned down the offer due to certain reasons but it happened in such a way that I couldn't. The reason is that I have phobia of speaking in crowd no matter how small. This phobia has done great damage to my social life, it had made me live in closed shell of self. And now I am faced with the challenges of hosting a meeting soon. Pls beloved Nairalanders, what do you suggest I do? You candid advice is needed.

Guy I your story & mine is the same but I conquered mine the first day I have to present to managers & directors of my firm, about 40 participants. I knew what I wanted to present but I like carriage to face them because of their position. I fumbled for the first 30mins b4 I cld balance my speech, they asked questions, I answered them.
Since the day I was notified for that presentation I was dead inside me, cldnt sleep, panicking & shaking bt my broda d day came & went jst like evry other day.

I like found out that the best way you can conquer it is by BEING URSEF & know ur onions.

I expect you 2 fumble d first time bt work on it by reading, interact wit pple around u, ask reasonable qns above it all make a decision 2 open ur mouth.
Re: Intelligent People Of Nairaland, I Need Your Advice by k2039: 4:46pm On Aug 17, 2013
After the first few minutes of the first meeting, you will over come your phobia.

Just face your fear, you shall overcome.
Re: Intelligent People Of Nairaland, I Need Your Advice by zerocool(m): 7:50pm On Aug 17, 2013
These are qualities they imbibe in you during higher education by professors asking students to do class presentations. Summon up courage and face your challenges. One advice though, practice your public speech presentation in front of a mirror alone before actually going on stage. Goodluck!
Re: Intelligent People Of Nairaland, I Need Your Advice by Adinije(f): 7:59pm On Aug 17, 2013
Thank you@ dimples, thespark, littlejoe, k2039 and zerocool for your wonderful suggestions, I will try and put them in practice.

(1) (Reply)

Teens Section Needed On Nairaland! / Floods, Floods Everywhere. Another Warning This Morning........ / When You Were A Kid, Answer This.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 23
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.