Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,672 members, 7,809,553 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 11:11 AM

ASUU Strike, And It's Effect On The Nation. - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / ASUU Strike, And It's Effect On The Nation. (2016 Views)

Another Nationwide ASUU Strike? / Effect Of This ASUU Strike On Students And Lecturers / ASUU Strike (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

ASUU Strike, And It's Effect On The Nation. by Appliedmaths(m): 11:33pm On Aug 17, 2013
To start with I'm not a writer and I hate reading long articles too so I'll try to make this short and detailed. I'm a penultimate final year student of UNIBEN studying mathematics and economics, the on-going industrial action (strike) embarked by ASUU (academic staff union of universities) for about a month plus now has drawn my attention to certain issues both positive and negative which I feel is my duty to analyse as an economists and I also decided to share it with you all. And the effects are listed below;

(1) Economically speaking, ASUU strike has led to a reduction in income for the sellers/business persons around school (university) areas, as a result of the absence of students who normally patronise these business ventures/enterprise. It has also led to a fall in the standard of living for the affected families cause I can personally testify of a woman around my hostel in school who feeds her family from her petty trade which is solely dependent (90 percent) on we the students, I'm just thinking of what she might be up to now. And one would ask, wouldn't the students returning to their various homes fill the lacuna (hehe make I blow gramma sef nah') created by the leaving students? the answer is 'no' you cannot match the number of students in a particular 'off campus' area to the number of indigenes. In my off campus area Ekosodin ( I hail all the men dere ooo) it's a 70:30 students indigene ratio.

(2)Socially, it has led to an increase in social vices (unrest), cyber crime, and this one would shock you cause it has also led to the increase of call girls (prostitutes) for service. The other day my departmental mate narrated to me how he and his uncle were robbed at daylight loosing a bb Z10 and some jewelry. It amazes me when the FG would be crying for peace when still fails to adress certain core issues. The students are on the streets coupled with thousands of unemployed graduates plus harsh economic conditions (fashola lol) and you want peace? Like we always say in UNIBEN 'I pray ooo'.
NB: these problems were at hand before the ASUU strike started but statistics shows that the crime rate is gradually increasing since the commencement of the ASUU strike.
I had to run from school on the third day of the ASUU strike as a result of daytime bini/ekosodin robbery.

(3) Politically, coupled with the usual bad perception about Nigeria and Nigerians around the world it has further added a feather to the already bad image (hat) perceived by many. It tells how unserious and lacklustre our government are towards Education and national development, they have large funds to launch satelites, to give INEC to clear the way for them come 2015, to send their children to havard and tell us that "the FG cannot meet ASUU's demands". A nation that has an epileptic education system is bound to fail over and over again leaving the polity in the hands of 70-88 year old men to further ruin it. If I happened to be an opposition, this would be one of my punchline against the present govt. Of the day.

(4)On the lives of the students, for some of us it's a blessing in disguise especially for the current graduating students. My elder brother as a case study is thanking God for the strike as it has made them relaxed enough to carry out their numerous practical and also complete their project with ease of mind. It has also given some students the opportunity to earn income and working experience for themselves while others roam the streets in search of jobs and sharp runs. And for the scholars ah! "their father" now is the time to read all their courses cover to cover and patiently wait to score all A's when they resume, as for me bros no vex I dey chop mama food for house walahi I don fresh. cheesy

These are just my observed facts, I know you too have a lot to tell us. Let's just chill and enjoy our strike while it lasts. Cheers!
Re: ASUU Strike, And It's Effect On The Nation. by infobiz9ja(m): 12:21am On Aug 18, 2013
Lengthy post but nice read.

(1) (Reply)

Pre-nd,part-time,post-utme And Hnd Forms,federal Polytechnic Offa .2013/2014 / Phonics And Diction Workshop. / Best Nigerian Universities For Specified Courses.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 19
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.