Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,743 members, 7,817,051 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 01:10 AM

People Afraid of Flying: What Remedy? - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / People Afraid of Flying: What Remedy? (7061 Views)

The Most Meaningful Xperience I've Had In My 2+ Yrs Of Flying / How Can One Overcome The Fear Of Flying? / I'm Afraid Of Applying For A Us Visa Again (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

People Afraid of Flying: What Remedy? by detruth: 4:07pm On Jun 06, 2008
What make People afraid of Flying? I wonder why my younger brother finds it chilly while on board. Can someone help with an advise?
Re: People Afraid of Flying: What Remedy? by ayomifull(f): 5:53pm On Jun 06, 2008
I need that advise myself because i go on prayer of 4giveness until i disembark.
Re: People Afraid of Flying: What Remedy? by ty4real(m): 8:23pm On Jun 06, 2008
Go on top a high cliff and jump down But on a more serious note,go see a counsellor or therapist or better still dont fly at all ok which I know is impossible wink wink wink wink wink
Re: People Afraid of Flying: What Remedy? by detruth: 10:36pm On Jun 06, 2008
nairalanders, can't someone just help? cry
Re: People Afraid of Flying: What Remedy? by Nobody: 11:12pm On Jun 06, 2008
honestly im also having d same problem,till i disembark ,im always having goosepimples all over me,i always pray the lords prayer till we finally land,i dont know why its like dis,ive tried to get it off me but it just wouldnt go sad sad
Re: People Afraid of Flying: What Remedy? by detruth: 10:30am On Jun 07, 2008
It will be a surprise if there is nobody around to offer solution to what problem many nairalanders are having cry cry
Re: People Afraid of Flying: What Remedy? by PapaBrowne(m): 1:22pm On Jun 07, 2008
I would have recommended sleeping pills, but if u take it before u get on the plane, u might probably sleep off at the departure lounge and miss your flight.
Besides, i don't know if there are any medical implications of taking psychoactive pills while flying. But sincerely sleeping pills might do great.
Most of my more interesting flights, I spent more than half the time sleeping.
Re: People Afraid of Flying: What Remedy? by dnative(m): 2:03pm On Jun 07, 2008
Best way to conquer a fear is to take on something more unnerving.  For fear of flying, I'll say take up skydiving classes (there's a school in oxfordshire if you're in the UK) or some hot-air ballon trips. smiley
Re: People Afraid of Flying: What Remedy? by detruth: 5:09pm On Jun 07, 2008
PapaBrowne:

I would have recommended sleeping pills, but if u take it before u get on the plane, u might probably sleep off at the departure lounge and miss your flight.

Na wha ooo! grin grin grin
Re: People Afraid of Flying: What Remedy? by inspiredm(m): 12:03pm On Jun 08, 2008
I need help too,

I think its called Flight - phobia

International soccer player Dennis Bergkamp of Holland & RnB Star R.Kelly has Flight -o- phobia too.

I always pray for forgiveness anytime im on board, and most especially when the screen display we're on Sea

I always become the holiest on board, I Promise God never to Sin no more, I take my eyes off the pretty hostesses
. grin grin grin grin
Re: People Afraid of Flying: What Remedy? by MethodMan3(m): 7:31pm On Jun 08, 2008
For me, flying is still one of the safest way of travelling!

@Poster

If you are scared of flying, then you can travel by other means (trekking,by road, walking, by sea etc.)

And that may be waiting till thy kingdom come before you reach some parts of the world or wherever you destination is
Re: People Afraid of Flying: What Remedy? by queen2(f): 7:35pm On Jun 08, 2008
shocked maybe its travel sick, i really dont understand why u should be scared of flying especially when ur not sitting nexto the window.

wen i get on airplane my ears get blocked thats the only thing dat happens to me, dunno if its does 2 any1 else
Re: People Afraid of Flying: What Remedy? by Nobody: 7:44pm On Jun 08, 2008
Re: People Afraid of Flying: What Remedy? by mukina2: 8:17pm On Jun 08, 2008
Please i will also want to know the remedy embarassed sad

I start saying all kinds of prayers , promising God that i would be a good girl till eternity grin. . From Take off to landing sad
Re: People Afraid of Flying: What Remedy? by Nobody: 8:39pm On Jun 08, 2008
i will give u a simple solution that has always worked for me. Just keep ordering wine instead of water. 4-5 small bottles of wine will knock your butt out and before u know it, u are at your destination. For Longer flights like from US to Naija, i will suggest 5-8 bottles with meals in between. But make sure u sobber up before u get to Naija.
Re: People Afraid of Flying: What Remedy? by lucabrasi(m): 8:41pm On Jun 08, 2008
im scared of flying too and what usually works for me is to do something that ll distract me from the flight itself,drink some wine or beer and slep off so ill suggest u get your bro to sleep or get something that ll distract his attention from the flight i.e video games,movies n these sorta sturvs
Re: People Afraid of Flying: What Remedy? by Ajebota(f): 8:41pm On Jun 08, 2008
lol so im not the only one that prays fervently on board. Good to know.

@ post: I too would like a remedy. Something that helps me though was attending an aeronautical engineering seminar ( had no choice in the matter by the way, it wasnt voluntary!) that explained the concept of turbulence in planes. Dont remember much of what was said but basically, turbulence can not cause an air plane to crash. So whenever the turbulence becomes almost unbearable I keep reminding myself that it doesnt mean a crash is evident.
Re: People Afraid of Flying: What Remedy? by Nobody: 9:36pm On Jun 08, 2008
the way i pray when im on plane im not sure ive prayed like that before,u will see me praying diff kind of prayers till we land,and when i come down i forget watever prayer i prayed on air grin grin
Re: People Afraid of Flying: What Remedy? by HRhotness(f): 9:38pm On Jun 08, 2008
I actually love flying,

esp at take-off and landing. .

I usually sleep thru turbulence grin

like someone said, planes dont crash as a result of turbulence
Re: People Afraid of Flying: What Remedy? by agboifo(f): 9:38pm On Jun 08, 2008
I've read somewhere than 1 in every 5 persons (some say more) is afraid of flying.  I am.

For everyone it begins in a different way.  Flying used to be one of my greatest delights.  The tide took a turn for bad after a trip from Abuja to Lagos where we suffered what turned out to be just turbulence.  Well, that cause is now history but what remains is a terror of flying.

I don't have time for a longer post now but this much I know.  At least my head knows it, while my heart thinks something else

1.  Flying is the safest way to travel.  How many air accidents happen?  Few, but because of the magnitude and the near 100% fatality, it makes news.
2.  It is said that taking-off and landing are the most crucial stages, but here's a consolation:  Do you realize that at that speed (of taxiing for take-off), the plane is already trying to lift off before the pilot actually 'allows' it?  So forget about the thought that the plane might drop off the sky.

On several trips, I have tried to take sleeping tablets.  Apart from giving you a bad stomach, they don't work.

Solution.  
1. Don't worry.  
2. Have a good sleep before the trip
3. Tell the Air Hostess about your fear.  You'll see how that helps.  Some even take you to see the Pilot and the view from there is consoling

More later.  Hope this helps.
Re: People Afraid of Flying: What Remedy? by Nobody: 10:01pm On Jun 08, 2008
Solution.
1. Don't worry.
2. Have a good sleep before the trip
3. Tell the Air Hostess about your fear. You'll see how that helps. Some even take you to see the Pilot and the view from there is consoling

More later. Hope this helps.

con wat shocked shocked shocked shocked wat view undecided im sure i'll just faint for 10 hours no resurrection shocked shocked im still trying to cope just sitting down and not looking out,not to talk of going to meet da pilot to see d whole thing shocked shocked shocked naaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa,no way i'll just collapse embarassed cry
Re: People Afraid of Flying: What Remedy? by mhm(m): 11:21pm On Jun 08, 2008
I fly a lot but I just cant over it. once we encounter turbulence, the chill that runs thru my spine no get part two. Happened this morning while flying from kaduna to lagos, encountered severe turbulence for about 5 minutes. you should have heard the deafening silence in the cabin. They say one out of five people is scared if flying, i hink its more like three out of five
Re: People Afraid of Flying: What Remedy? by omega25red(m): 11:26pm On Jun 08, 2008
take a shot of whisky before flight it would calm you down remember just "one" shot because if you get drunk they won't let you fly
Re: People Afraid of Flying: What Remedy? by tosinadeda: 11:29pm On Jun 08, 2008
try trecking then undecided undecided
Re: People Afraid of Flying: What Remedy? by eiete(f): 11:35pm On Jun 08, 2008
Well if it's your first time flying, it's bound to be a little fighting.

As for your younger brother feeling chilling that is because

of the ventilation system on the plane, which makes the cabin feel cold;

and that can be resolved by asking for extra blankets.

But to help you calm & relax your nerves  before and during your flight
you should go visit your doctor or pharmacist and ask him or her
to prescribe you Avomine or any related medication for traveling  
sickness. That I think should do the trick.
Re: People Afraid of Flying: What Remedy? by Nobody: 12:23am On Jun 09, 2008
ROTFLMGBO cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy @tosinadeda grin grin grin
Re: People Afraid of Flying: What Remedy? by ty4real(m): 12:52am On Jun 09, 2008
tosinadeda:

try trecking then undecided undecided
Thank u o jare as if say na by force make den fly grin grin grin,
Re: People Afraid of Flying: What Remedy? by Nobody: 12:55am On Jun 09, 2008
wetin be ya own ty4real sad sad sad grin grin
Re: People Afraid of Flying: What Remedy? by ty4real(m): 1:01am On Jun 09, 2008
jennykadry:

wetin be ya own ty4real sad sad sad grin grin

Jenny,ar u not supose to be massaging ogas back and stop talkin about fear of flying jooo,go make akpu and Bitterleaf soup quick!
Una just wan tell us say u dey fly sha, ok oooooooo,Av u ever tried travelling by canoe on the high sea instaed of flying,that is one you will conquer d fear jooo grin grin grin grin grin
Re: People Afraid of Flying: What Remedy? by Nobody: 1:04am On Jun 09, 2008
wetin concern u with wetin i cook for oga,mind ya business ,u should be wt one of them enugu girls naw,wat r u doing here,oya vamoose and go back to ur concubines ,they r waiting for u on ur bed grin grin grin
Re: People Afraid of Flying: What Remedy? by ty4real(m): 1:17am On Jun 09, 2008
Ok ooooo, I hope you took my advice sha,try get a canoe and take it over the atlantic if thats is possible,then you can now tell me which fear is better or mangeable grin grin grin grin

Anyway,to all who are afraid of flying, .FEAR NOT, grin grin grin
Re: People Afraid of Flying: What Remedy? by Nobody: 1:25am On Jun 09, 2008
i hear u ty4real,na two of us go carry d canoe to d atlantic ocean,so dat u go fit teach me how to set the canoe wella

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Ibadan:the Most Insulting City In Nigeria / Stowaway Dies On Arik Flight In Lagos / Congratulations Australian Visa App Is Now Online (cable)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 34
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.