Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,292 members, 7,818,990 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 09:38 AM

What does the Mileage On Your Car Read.??? - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / What does the Mileage On Your Car Read.??? (21664 Views)

How Much Mileage Is Too Much Mileage? / Buying A Used Car? Read This First To Avoid Making The Mistakes I Made / When To Change Your Car Engine Oil: The Mileage Way! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

What does the Mileage On Your Car Read.??? by JaaizTech: 12:15pm On Aug 18, 2013
The talk about mileage is always paramount in the search for a tokunboh car, some say mileage is just a number and that actually maintenance is key, this seems not to be far from the truth.
I have seen many post cars with over 300,000 miles and say it is still going strong, but the issue is these cars were used in the US, so guys how far in terms of miles have you flogged your car in Nigeria.

N.B: if you bought it as tokunboh, subtract the mileage from the mileage at the time you bought it.

I have got a 2008 Toyota Hilux, with <b>183902km</b> on it, not sure to say it is still going strong, but still very functional. AC works great, never repaired, changed fuel pump twice, changed CAT once, changed clutch plate once, changed power steering pump once. Every other thing still working perfectly.

My 2005 Avensis has got 81942km on it. Only the AC has ever developed a fault, still drives very strong.
Re: What does the Mileage On Your Car Read.??? by Nobody: 8:49pm On Aug 18, 2013
My '95 Audi Coupe S2 had 543,000 miles when I sold her back in 2008. I replaced the turbo and head gasket during my ownership. There was nothing wrong with the OEM turbo, I just fancied an upgrade from the small KKK-24 to a more manly KKK-27. The head gasket was also fine, but it was easier to pull the cylinder head to get better access to the turbo.

I service the car annually for the lady who bought it off me. I last serviced it in June this year, and mileage then was 704,000 miles. I replaced the clutch at 622,000 miles, alternator at 626,000 miles and both catalysts, power steering pump and high pressure line at its service last year with 622,000 miles on the odometer. Engine and gearbox still going strong.

5 Likes

Re: What does the Mileage On Your Car Read.??? by Nobody: 9:01pm On Aug 18, 2013
W202 C180 490,000km. 304,536 miles. Still moving without hassles! cheesy
Re: What does the Mileage On Your Car Read.??? by JUO(m): 9:35pm On Aug 18, 2013
oga siena am scared of these figure you put up there. are they actually in km or mileage, bros how come a new Toyota hiace bus can't last more than 3 years in Nigeria? (transportation )
Re: What does the Mileage On Your Car Read.??? by Nobody: 9:58pm On Aug 18, 2013
JUO: oga siena am scared of these figure you put up there. are they actually in km or mileage, bros how come a new Toyota hiace bus can't last more than 3 years in Nigeria? (transportation )

The odometer values I posted are in miles.
Re: What does the Mileage On Your Car Read.??? by Nobody: 12:25am On Aug 19, 2013
Siena:

The odometer values I posted are in miles.
Humbled by your figures

1 Like

Re: What does the Mileage On Your Car Read.??? by ZIMDRILL(m): 1:17am On Aug 19, 2013
JUO: oga siena am scared of these figure you put up there. are they actually in km or mileage, bros how come a new Toyota hiace bus can't last more than 3 years in Nigeria? (transportation )

simple without going into more details just overloading kills those commercials vehicles

the same overloading that kills people when a simple accident occurs
Re: What does the Mileage On Your Car Read.??? by JaaizTech: 9:06am On Aug 20, 2013
Siena: My '95 Audi Coupe S2 had 543,000 miles when I sold her back in 2008. I replaced the turbo and head gasket during my ownership. There was nothing wrong with the OEM turbo, I just fancied an upgrade from the small KKK-24 to a more manly KKK-27. The head gasket was also fine, but it was easier to pull the cylinder head to get better access to the turbo.

I service the car annually for the lady who bought it off me. I last serviced it in June this year, and mileage then was 704,000 miles. I replaced the clutch at 622,000 miles, alternator at 626,000 miles and both catalysts, power steering pump and high pressure line at its service last year with 622,000 miles on the odometer. Engine and gearbox still going strong.

@Sienna did you use these cars in Nigeria, the post is most concerned about cars used in Nigeria i.e under the Nigerian conditions
Re: What does the Mileage On Your Car Read.??? by JaaizTech: 9:18am On Aug 20, 2013
smartchoice: W202 C180 490,000km. 304,536 miles. Still moving without hassles! cheesy

Did you buy this car brand new or tokunboh and for how many years have you used it
Re: What does the Mileage On Your Car Read.??? by Nobody: 9:46am On Aug 20, 2013
JaaizTech: @Sienna did you use these cars in Nigeria, the post is most concerned about cars used in Nigeria i.e under the Nigerian conditions

No, I didn't use my Audi S2 in Nigeria. However, my contribution is no less valid; as you stated, this thread is "most concerned about cars used in Nigeria." So the "most" in your comment would suggest this thread is not about Nigerian cars, to the exclusion of others.

1 Like

Re: What does the Mileage On Your Car Read.??? by JaaizTech: 4:18am On Aug 21, 2013
Siena:

No, I didn't use my Audi S2 in Nigeria. However, my contribution is no less valid; as you stated, this thread is "most concerned about cars used in Nigeria." So the "most" in your comment would suggest this thread is not about Nigerian cars, to the exclusion of others.
Cool. How often did you service? Those miles you put on are some of the highest have ever seen.
Re: What does the Mileage On Your Car Read.??? by JaaizTech: 4:24am On Aug 21, 2013
Got an entry from a friend's car Honda Civic 1993, original engine and transmission still present, services car every month. MILEAGE: 339541km or 203724.6miles
Re: What does the Mileage On Your Car Read.??? by Nobody: 9:36am On Aug 21, 2013
JaaizTech:
Cool. How often did you service? Those miles you put on are some of the highest have ever seen.

I carried out a major service once every 12 months, with an oil change (minor service) in between every 6 months.
Re: What does the Mileage On Your Car Read.??? by Nobody: 8:39pm On Aug 21, 2013
was bought tokunbo (not by me) 7 years still counting grin

JaaizTech:

Did you buy this car brand new or tokunboh and for how many years have you used it
Re: What does the Mileage On Your Car Read.??? by JaaizTech: 5:05am On Aug 22, 2013
Siena:

I carried out a major service once every 12 months, with an oil change (minor service) in between every 6 months.
Many people in Nigeria service every 3 months, in fact I have got a colleague(the guy with honda civic 1993 on 203724.6miles) that services his car every month. But our cars still don't last as much as those abroad
Re: What does the Mileage On Your Car Read.??? by peterjero(m): 9:54am On Aug 23, 2013
1989 toyota camry with 293339 km as at this morning it was bought 2002 at 90512km so that's a good car and still going Strong . Major works done are radiator change. Spark plugs have never been changed, engine never touched but power steering oil keeps leaking so I top it eVery other day. STRONG CAR
Re: What does the Mileage On Your Car Read.??? by Nobody: 10:25am On Aug 23, 2013
peterjero: 1989 toyota camry with 293339 km as at this morning it was bought 2002 at 90512km so that's a good car and still going Strong . Major works done are radiator change. Spark plugs have never been changed, engine never touched but power steering oil keeps leaking so I top it eVery other day. STRONG CAR

You haven't replaced your spark plugs in 11 years? You've used them for 202,000 kms (126,000 miles)? Please don't take this the wrong way, but that's plain daft.

Spark plugs should be replaced annually, or every 12,000 miles, whichever occurs first. Longlife or platinum plugs will be fine for 20,000 miles, but 126,000? Plugs are service items, unless you're saying your car hasn't been serviced in all that time...

...Or I've read your post wrong.

As per your leaking power steering fluid, I would the find the source of the leak, and get it fixed. That's a poor way to run a car, just because it still drives doesn't mean all's well. And oil spraying onto a red hot exhaust manifold WILL cause an engine fire.

1 Like

Re: What does the Mileage On Your Car Read.??? by peterjero(m): 12:47pm On Aug 23, 2013
Siena:

You haven't replaced your spark plugs in 11 years? You've used them for 202,000 kms (126,000 miles)? Please don't take this the wrong way, but that's plain daft.

Spark plugs should be replaced annually, or every 12,000 miles, whichever occurs first. Longlife or platinum plugs will be fine for 20,000 miles, but 126,000? Plugs are service items, unless you're saying your car hasn't been serviced in all that time...

...Or I've read your post wrong.

As per your leaking power steering fluid, I would the find the source of the leak, and get it fixed. That's a poor way to run a car, just because it still drives doesn't mean all's well. And oil spraying onto a red hot exhaust manifold WILL cause an engine fire.
Thanks for your observation but
1. I bought a new power steering box all to no avail, it didn't stop the leak. I serviced it no way.
2. I bought plugs for it and it misfired so I put the old ones back, surprisingly I placed an order for thru my brother in Germany to get a platinum plugs for me.
3. I do routine service every 3000km because of its age and I use TOTAL 5000 oil.
Please you need to see my car a/c still steams , though I rarely use d a/c. I won't sell that car for 3m and its the truth, lovely ride

2 Likes

Re: What does the Mileage On Your Car Read.??? by Gee2728(m): 11:24pm On Aug 26, 2013
2000 W202 C230 kompressor; bought her last year october,with about 154000miles and as at this week we are geting close to about 187000 miles.ever since I replaced a blown mosfet in the ECU all the car problems jst seemed to go away. No any sorth of check lights on. The car feels great and still kicking. Hoping to put some more miles on her then sell her off by december and move on to hopefully any german with no less than 300 bhp.

1 Like

Re: What does the Mileage On Your Car Read.??? by chucky234(m): 7:20am On Aug 27, 2013
My Honda accord reads 175,000 miles
My 2007 Corolla reads 40,000 miles,bought it from a company last year and havent done a single repair as the car was bought brand new by the company.
Re: What does the Mileage On Your Car Read.??? by Nobody: 3:55pm On Aug 27, 2013
Bought my camry at 161000 miles. It now reads 172,000 miles. I bought it in Sept 2012.
Re: What does the Mileage On Your Car Read.??? by israel007: 6:05pm On Aug 27, 2013
Mine is Jaguar X-Type 2005

It's for sale though.
Re: What does the Mileage On Your Car Read.??? by DICKtator: 6:08pm On Aug 27, 2013
The mileage of my legs read.............................

grin grin grin grin

3 Likes

Re: What does the Mileage On Your Car Read.??? by tellwisdom: 6:09pm On Aug 27, 2013
Who is mileage?? sad
Re: What does the Mileage On Your Car Read.??? by Nobody: 6:11pm On Aug 27, 2013
Mine is a BMW sports; currently at 190,000 miles. A detailed service once a year...never had any problems with it and working fine...
Re: What does the Mileage On Your Car Read.??? by Nobody: 6:11pm On Aug 27, 2013
Love Jaguars...mind me asking why you're selling?
israel007: Mine is Jaguar X-Type 2005

It's for sale though.
Re: What does the Mileage On Your Car Read.??? by dridowu: 6:13pm On Aug 27, 2013
Noting to contribute right now cos the car i have now is leggedis benz.............so no mileage

1 Like

Re: What does the Mileage On Your Car Read.??? by Bryancrox(m): 6:13pm On Aug 27, 2013
I will comment when i buy my car,4 now no mileage.My shoe na Allstar 2012 model

5 Likes

Re: What does the Mileage On Your Car Read.??? by Babsadediji(m): 6:16pm On Aug 27, 2013
Mine already stop reading, can it be repaired ?
Re: What does the Mileage On Your Car Read.??? by Nobody: 6:16pm On Aug 27, 2013
Re: What does the Mileage On Your Car Read.??? by Nobody: 6:20pm On Aug 27, 2013
A BMW would do just fine... cool
Gee2728: 2000 W202 C230 kompressor; bought her last year october,with about 154000miles and as at this week we are geting close to about 187000 miles.ever since I replaced a blown mosfet in the ECU all the car problems jst seemed to go away. No any sorth of check lights on. The car feels great and still kicking. Hoping to put some more miles on her then sell her off by december and move on to hopefully any german with no less than 300 bhp.
Re: What does the Mileage On Your Car Read.??? by Nobody: 6:21pm On Aug 27, 2013
Siena: My '95 Audi Coupe S2 had 543,000 miles when I sold her back in 2008. I replaced the turbo and head gasket during my ownership. There was nothing wrong with the OEM turbo, I just fancied an upgrade from the small KKK-24 to a more manly KKK-27. The head gasket was also fine, but it was easier to pull the cylinder head to get better access to the turbo.

shocked 704,000 miles? No offense that piece of whatever is not suppose to be on the road not even in a junkyard.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Peace Mass Transit Set Up A Vehicle Assembly Plant In Emene, Enugu / Why A Car Catches Fire, And How You Can Stop Yours From Being The Next / Old Number Plates, Driver's Licence Expire Sept 31, Says FRSC

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 50
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.