Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,195,446 members, 7,958,333 topics. Date: Wednesday, 25 September 2024 at 12:36 PM

Fashola Hosts Russian Ambassador, Seeks Nig-russia Cooperation In Railways. - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Fashola Hosts Russian Ambassador, Seeks Nig-russia Cooperation In Railways. (4926 Views)

Abimbola Fashola Hosts Christmas Party For Children Living With Disabilities / Railways: Jonathan Lacked Vision –obasanjo / FG To Privatise Railways, Inland Waterways, 6 Others In 2015 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Fashola Hosts Russian Ambassador, Seeks Nig-russia Cooperation In Railways. by amnestylaw1(m): 10:57am On Aug 20, 2013
TCUBE:

There is no need to insult me. I was just alluding to the trend that I have being noticing about lagos. Think outside the box. I think the government of Lagos believes they can exit on their own. That was my point OGBENI!!!!
Thank you for your kind words to the "insulter". This goes to show that there are still people on NL who wouldn't stoop so low and engage others in war of words. I am guilty of insulting others too. May whatever you believe in bless you.

1 Like

Re: Fashola Hosts Russian Ambassador, Seeks Nig-russia Cooperation In Railways. by veraponpo(m): 11:03am On Aug 20, 2013
The post below was culled from the publication made after he delivered a lecture on April 29th in the US. I now wondered why he is respected more by the international communities more than our President.... Why?

Read his words below:

The Lagos State Governor, Mr. Babatunde Fashola, at the weekend said his government picked up critical lessons from the Boston marathon attack in the United States, a couple of weeks ago, which left many people dead and scores badly injured, some with permanent damage.
Speaking at the Paul H. Nitze School of Advanced International Studies, John Hopkins University, Washington D.C, where he delivered a lecture, Fashola said he kept long nights taking notes on how the US government managed the situation from the moment the attack was launched.
Describing terrorism as a trans-boundary crime, Fashola told the audience that: “I kept long hours at night following the events, taking notes about how the first responders reacted and how the law enforcement carried out their duties. They are notes that I have shared with my colleagues in government that are in charge of health and security services and many of them shared some of those long nights as well.”
The governor described the occasion of the lecture as “an appropriate opportunity to personally convey the sympathy of the people and government of the state to all of you Americans here and members of the free world for the unfortunate and horrific incident that happened in Boston over a week ago. We join you in condemning and fighting terror wherever it rears its ugly head.
“For those who still fail to understand, terror is a trans-boundary crime with global ramifications. Even though we were not physically here with you during those traumatic moments, we were deeply affected by the events as we watched on global news.”
The incident aside, Fashola also shared his experience on the trip to the US when he said: “Violence and devastating consequences compelled me to review my invitation to speak here today. I asked myself if it was safe to come. I asked myself if the law enforcement and border security agencies would be increasingly hostile to visitors in view of the origins of the suspects of the crime.
“I asked myself if people like me, a Muslim, would not be profiled for all sorts of body searches. I considered calling Professor Peter Lewis to cancel the trip. The event is a call I never made. I decided to personally experience whatever new measures that visitors to this country would now have to contend with.
“I am pleased that I never picked up the phone to call Professor Lewis. I am also pleased to say that none of my fears about the possible heavy-handed reaction were borne out– at least, certainly not from my experience or that of my entourage. But something that was non-official, in this sense, did not represent the manifest position of the government of this country, happened,” he noted.
Continuing, Fashola said “As we were being assisted through Immigration by my country’s ambassador, the very amiable Ambassador Archibong, an elderly American lady shouted out: ‘Why should these visitors go through before me? This is my country.’ Her words will stay with me for a long time as I struggle to make meaning of them. But why are they relevant here?
“It is because Professor Lewis asked me to speak on a topic that relates to the challenges of governance and development in Lagos State, and governing Nigeria’s federal system. I had chosen the topic ‘Liberating and coordinating diversity.’ But I did not write my speech until Wednesday, the day I got here.
“As far as I know, many countries that have opted for a federal system of government have done so because it is the best known system for managing diversity; whether of tribes, nationalities, religions, ethnicities or languages. In this sense, this country and my country, especially my state, Lagos, are no different.
“Lagos shares many similarities with New York: as former federal capitals, as current commercial capitals, as melting pots of different people from different walks of life. Where would our two countries be without the diversity of their immigrant population- an immigrant population whose skills and financial resource help to keep the wheels of development turning?” he asked, adding: “I will let you ponder over these thoughts, and move to the content of my speech.”
Re: Fashola Hosts Russian Ambassador, Seeks Nig-russia Cooperation In Railways. by Nobody: 11:11am On Aug 20, 2013
[size=90pt]Fashola[/size]

[size=40pt]For[/size]

[size=90pt]PRESIDENT!!![/size]

1 Like

Re: Fashola Hosts Russian Ambassador, Seeks Nig-russia Cooperation In Railways. by babyboy3(m): 11:38am On Aug 20, 2013
veraponpo: The post below was culled from the publication made after he delivered a lecture on April 29th in the US. I now wondered why he is respected more by the international communities more than our President.... Why?

Read his words below:

The Lagos State Governor, Mr. Babatunde Fashola, at the weekend said his government picked up critical lessons from the Boston marathon attack in the United States, a couple of weeks ago, which left many people dead and scores badly injured, some with permanent damage.
Speaking at the Paul H. Nitze School of Advanced International Studies, John Hopkins University, Washington D.C, where he delivered a lecture, Fashola said he kept long nights taking notes on how the US government managed the situation from the moment the attack was launched.
Describing terrorism as a trans-boundary crime, Fashola told the audience that: “I kept long hours at night following the events, taking notes about how the first responders reacted and how the law enforcement carried out their duties. They are notes that I have shared with my colleagues in government that are in charge of health and security services and many of them shared some of those long nights as well.”
The governor described the occasion of the lecture as “an appropriate opportunity to personally convey the sympathy of the people and government of the state to all of you Americans here and members of the free world for the unfortunate and horrific incident that happened in Boston over a week ago. We join you in condemning and fighting terror wherever it rears its ugly head.
“For those who still fail to understand, terror is a trans-boundary crime with global ramifications. Even though we were not physically here with you during those traumatic moments, we were deeply affected by the events as we watched on global news.”
The incident aside, Fashola also shared his experience on the trip to the US when he said: “Violence and devastating consequences compelled me to review my invitation to speak here today. I asked myself if it was safe to come. I asked myself if the law enforcement and border security agencies would be increasingly hostile to visitors in view of the origins of the suspects of the crime.
“I asked myself if people like me, a Muslim, would not be profiled for all sorts of body searches. I considered calling Professor Peter Lewis to cancel the trip. The event is a call I never made. I decided to personally experience whatever new measures that visitors to this country would now have to contend with.
“I am pleased that I never picked up the phone to call Professor Lewis. I am also pleased to say that none of my fears about the possible heavy-handed reaction were borne out– at least, certainly not from my experience or that of my entourage. But something that was non-official, in this sense, did not represent the manifest position of the government of this country, happened,” he noted.
Continuing, Fashola said “As we were being assisted through Immigration by my country’s ambassador, the very amiable Ambassador Archibong, an elderly American lady shouted out: ‘Why should these visitors go through before me? This is my country.’ Her words will stay with me for a long time as I struggle to make meaning of them. But why are they relevant here?
“It is because Professor Lewis asked me to speak on a topic that relates to the challenges of governance and development in Lagos State, and governing Nigeria’s federal system. I had chosen the topic ‘Liberating and coordinating diversity.’ But I did not write my speech until Wednesday, the day I got here.
“As far as I know, many countries that have opted for a federal system of government have done so because it is the best known system for managing diversity; whether of tribes, nationalities, religions, ethnicities or languages. In this sense, this country and my country, especially my state, Lagos, are no different.
“Lagos shares many similarities with New York: as former federal capitals, as current commercial capitals, as melting pots of different people from different walks of life. Where would our two countries be without the diversity of their immigrant population- an immigrant population whose skills and financial resource help to keep the wheels of development turning?” he asked, adding: “I will let you ponder over these thoughts, and move to the content of my speech.”

Its interesting to know that people are still and willing to broaden their horizon!!! When next Fashola is going on a trip he should invite GEJ along probably stop at London Zoo!!!
Re: Fashola Hosts Russian Ambassador, Seeks Nig-russia Cooperation In Railways. by SLIDiE(m): 11:43am On Aug 20, 2013
maxwello.yg:
Less than 5 comments and it's already on front page?
Smh at Mods
dude, the number of views makes the front page and not the posts. So, dnt start ur tribalism here today.

1 Like

Re: Fashola Hosts Russian Ambassador, Seeks Nig-russia Cooperation In Railways. by wirinet(m): 12:43pm On Aug 20, 2013
I do not like the way the lagos state press has spun this condolences visit by the Russian ambassador. They make it seem that governor fashola can determine the foreign policy of Nigeria. Foreign policy is the exclusive reserve of the federal government. It is only the federal government that can ask for assistance on railway transportation from the Russian government through its ambassador. It would be chaos if each state is allowed to relate directly with any country it wishes. Like enugu dealing directly with Israel, while kano deals directly with Iran.
Re: Fashola Hosts Russian Ambassador, Seeks Nig-russia Cooperation In Railways. by plaindealer: 1:32pm On Aug 20, 2013
wirinet: I do not like the way the lagos state press has spun this condolences visit by the Russian ambassador. They make it seem that governor fashola can determine the foreign policy of Nigeria. Foreign policy is the exclusive reserve of the federal government. It is only the federal government that can ask for assistance on railway transportation from the Russian government through its ambassador. It would be chaos if each state is allowed to relate directly with any country it wishes. Like enugu dealing directly with Israel, while kano deals directly with Iran.

Obviously, Fashola is not inviting these diplomats and world leaders, many of these countries have their own intel about our leaders and they know who the real credible leaders are, they've also projected into the future and maped out where to plant their flags now and in the future based on their own National interests so their endless pilgrimage to Alausa and hanging out with Fashola is really no suprise.

Even apart from the Alausa visits, think tanks, economic forums and institutions all over the world invite him all the time to give speeches.

Fact is, they know what Lagos as like and they are seeing what this man did to turn the state around and where he's taking Lagos state, they are not even oblivious of the growth, management and economic performance he's manifesting all over the state.

This is really a no brainner, they are just glad that they finally have a sensible professional, credible administrator and non corrupt Nigerian leader to deal with.

Also, gone are the days like 30 years ago when the federal government obstructed the state's efforts to build the first metro rail in Nigeria so that kind of monopoly is no more as displayed by Fashola with the Lagos Metro rail under construction. Such monopolies is fading out thanks to people like Fashola, he removed that veil, he showed the rest of Nigeria and other governors how to take charge and unfold their vision regardles of any federal monopoly.

These wolrd leaders are not blind, yes the federal government are micky mousing and wasting billions of dollars with their old, backward and obsolete rail system while Fashola is moving into the future with the LAGOS METRO RAIL.

They are not blind.
Re: Fashola Hosts Russian Ambassador, Seeks Nig-russia Cooperation In Railways. by Nobody: 1:38pm On Aug 20, 2013
fashola's style and communism....... Just thinking sha..... I am beginning to see connecting dots.......

critics..... just suck it in!
Re: Fashola Hosts Russian Ambassador, Seeks Nig-russia Cooperation In Railways. by FOLYKAZE(m): 1:39pm On Aug 20, 2013
Is Lagos state still part of Nigeria or it another country entirely?
Re: Fashola Hosts Russian Ambassador, Seeks Nig-russia Cooperation In Railways. by FBS: 2:03pm On Aug 20, 2013
amnestylaw1: Russian Railway has been one of the world's largest and best. One needs to watch BBC to see the success that the Russians have made. Fahola is making a right move and he needs ti be commended. I wouldn't be surprised if this thread generates another e- war on Yoruba vs Igbo, Fashola vs PDP or even about his not so good developmental projects.
Thats TOTALLY NOT true. BBC is bad for you. grin

Anyways, an efficient railway system is the way to go. Ride on Fash!
Re: Fashola Hosts Russian Ambassador, Seeks Nig-russia Cooperation In Railways. by ShineuEye: 2:18pm On Aug 20, 2013
For nearly a year now, if its not Fashola meets a/b/c then it'll be Fashola visits 1.2.3

I guess this will be Nairaland's Front page tomorrow:

FASHOLA MEETS HIS DOOM

Pis*ses on thread and walks out.

Jeeeze!!!

Mtcheew!!!
Re: Fashola Hosts Russian Ambassador, Seeks Nig-russia Cooperation In Railways. by oluwasuski: 2:54pm On Aug 20, 2013
Shine u Eye: For nearly a year now, if its not Fashola meets a/b/c then it'll be Fashola visits 1.2.3

I guess this will be Nairaland's Front page tomorrow:

FASHOLA MEETS HIS DOOM

Pis*ses on thread and walks out.

Jeeeze!!!

Mtcheew!!!

enemy of progress, u go spit sote spit go dry for ur mouth because Fashola doesn't care about you or your view...we know where the likes of you are from...

2 Likes

Re: Fashola Hosts Russian Ambassador, Seeks Nig-russia Cooperation In Railways. by ooshinibos: 3:06pm On Aug 20, 2013
amnestylaw1: Russian Railway has been one of the world's largest and best. One needs to watch BBC to see the success that the Russians have made. Fahola is making a right move and he needs ti be commended. I wouldn't be surprised if this thread generates another e- war on Yoruba vs Igbo, Fashola vs PDP or even about his not so good developmental projects.
i disagree with you sir , russians do not like africans , at least most of them , its a shame we Nigerians turn a blind eye to the suffering of Nigerians in the hands of russians extremist and the russians government turns a blind eye too ...Now you want them russians to build your railways , its not going to happen and you know it ...the only people that i know that can do it without prejudice is the chinese or better still Germans ..i hate when people are openly ignorant ..you know the majority of the russians dont like you and you want them to build you railways ..only a Nigerian will do this mistake ....the rich ruleth over the poor ..and my people are destroyed because of lack of knowleged or common sense ...
solution : Get robots to built these stuff for you

1 Like

Re: Fashola Hosts Russian Ambassador, Seeks Nig-russia Cooperation In Railways. by wirinet(m): 4:53pm On Aug 20, 2013
plaindealer:

Obviously, Fashola is not inviting these diplomats and world leaders, many of these countries have their own intel about our leaders and they know who the real credible leaders are, they've also projected into the future and maped out where to plant their flags now and in the future based on their own National interests so their endless pilgrimage to Alausa and hanging out with Fashola is really no suprise.

Even apart from the Alausa visits, think tanks, economic forums and institutions all over the world invite him all the time to give speeches.

Fact is, they know what Lagos as like and they are seeing what this man did to turn the state around and where he's taking Lagos state, they are not even oblivious of the growth, management and economic performance he's manifesting all over the state.

This is really a no brainner, they are just glad that they finally have a sensible professional, credible administrator and non corrupt Nigerian leader to deal with.

Also, gone are the days like 30 years ago when the federal government obstructed the state's efforts to build the first metro rail in Nigeria so that kind of monopoly is no more as displayed by Fashola with the Lagos Metro rail under construction. Such monopolies is fading out thanks to people like Fashola, he removed that veil, he showed the rest of Nigeria and other governors how to take charge and unfold their vision regardles of any federal monopoly.

These wolrd leaders are not blind, yes the federal government are micky mousing and wasting billions of dollars with their old, backward and obsolete rail system while Fashola is moving into the future with the LAGOS METRO RAIL.

They are not blind.

your long epistle did not even touch the fundamental facts i stated, fashola cannot seek cooperation from the Russian government without the involvement of the FG. In a federation, the component states cannot seek coperation directly from foreign governments. The lagos state government can relate and corporate with any individual or institution but not directly with other governments. It is like the lagos state government is seeking bi-lateral relations with Russia.
The lagos state can decide to build a railway system and they can employ anybody they want.
Re: Fashola Hosts Russian Ambassador, Seeks Nig-russia Cooperation In Railways. by plaindealer: 5:13pm On Aug 20, 2013
wirinet:

your long epistle did not even touch the fundamental facts i stated, fashola cannot seek cooperation from the Russian government without the involvement of the FG. In a federation, the component states cannot seek cooperation directly from foreign governments. The lagos state government can relate and corporate with any individual or institution but not directly with other governments. It is like the lagos state government is seeking bi-lateral relations with Russia.
The lagos state can decide to build a railway system and they can employ anybody they want.

I really don' get the meaning of your meaningless and redundant rants. Saying Fashola can not seek cooperation from the Russian government without the involvement of the federal government means before going to ALAUSA or discuss any cooperation, these diplomats and world leaders must have obtained cleaarance from GEJ....lmao. Is this a joke or ypou are just pulling my legs?

Let's even go with your absurd nonsense for a second, regardless of the federal government and even if they have to first seek clearance from GEJ which still sounds very absurd, have you asked yourself why they are all heading to Alausa in the first place? What's in it for them? Why are they inviting Fashola to give speeches at world class institutions and functions?

Why not go ahead and answer these questions first and see how pointless and redundant you sound...
Re: Fashola Hosts Russian Ambassador, Seeks Nig-russia Cooperation In Railways. by Jamji: 10:06pm On Aug 20, 2013
Chingilicious: Niceeeeee;1st to comment smileyNiceeeeee;1st to comment
this place is getting boring
Re: Fashola Hosts Russian Ambassador, Seeks Nig-russia Cooperation In Railways. by wirinet(m): 10:08pm On Aug 20, 2013
plaindealer:

I really don' get the meaning of your meaningless and redundant rants. Saying Fashola can not seek cooperation from the Russian government without the involvement of the federal government means before going to ALAUSA or discuss any cooperation, these diplomats and world leaders must have obtained cleaarance from GEJ....lmao. Is this a joke or ypou are just pulling my legs?

Let's even go with your absurd nonsense for a second, regardless of the federal government and even if they have to first seek clearance from GEJ which still sounds very absurd, have you asked yourself why they are all heading to Alausa in the first place? What's in it for them? Why are they inviting Fashola to give speeches at world class institutions and functions?

Why not go ahead and answer these questions first and see how pointless and redundant you sound...

you are displaying gross ignorance of international relations here, and you are getting carried away by propaganda to make fashola more influential than he actually is. Fashola cannot seek Nigeria - Russian cooperation in anything. He cannot determine who nigeria seeks cooperation with. He cannot even take a foreign loan without the approval of the FG.

The diplomats dont need clearance from anybody before going to visit fashola or any other person. They just cannot discuss bi-lateral relations with anybody other than representatives of the FG.

The diplomats can go to alausa to lobby for contracts for their home companies or for favourable business concessions for their citizens, like taxes and land, which is within the purview of the governor. But the governor cannot determine who Nigeria establish diplomatic, economic and bi-lateral relations with.
Re: Fashola Hosts Russian Ambassador, Seeks Nig-russia Cooperation In Railways. by mendaymi: 10:39pm On Aug 20, 2013
plaindealer:

They are not blind.
leave them they have not see anything yet , TO WHOM IT MAY CONCERN Lagos state one of the state in the Yoruba region of SW is planning ahead, here is a clue, sooner Nigeri will become History, they are would a country her name would be REPUBLIC OF ODUDUWA and the capital city would be Lagos,then lagos as the capital city of my country rep of Oduduwa will be compete with like of other cities like paris,London,Mosco,New York and other developed cities, this is our vision in the south west, Fashola lead they way and other SW governor follow. The plan start now, enemy of progress stay off. God bless my people the south Westerner and my beloved country to be REPUBLIC OF ODUDUWA. GOOD VISION,BRIGHT PEOPLE
Re: Fashola Hosts Russian Ambassador, Seeks Nig-russia Cooperation In Railways. by plaindealer: 11:02pm On Aug 20, 2013
wirinet:

you are displaying gross ignorance of international relations here, and you are getting carried away by propaganda to make fashola more influential than he actually is. Fashola cannot seek Nigeria - Russian cooperation in anything. He cannot determine who nigeria seeks cooperation with. He cannot even take a foreign loan without the approval of the FG.

The diplomats dont need clearance from anybody before going to visit fashola or any other person. They just cannot discuss bi-lateral relations with anybody other than representatives of the FG.

The diplomats can go to alausa to loby for contracts for their home companies or for favourable business concessions for their citizens, like taxes and land, which is within the preview of the governor. But the governor cannot determine who Nigeria establish diplomatic, economic and bi-lateral relations with.

Sounds like you are running your outh of just because... I don't even see any sane sense in your thoughtless rants.

1. Are you saying these diplomats and world leaders got together with Fashola to stage propaganda? What for? To fool shallow mind jokers like you?

2. Where in this argument any claim was made about discussing foreign policy or bi lateral issues. You are obviously making up your own argument and fighting yourself with it.

3. So, the diplomats are trooing to Lagos state to lobby for contracts from the Lagos state government right? Exactly what kind of contract is the Russian ambasador trying to get from Fashola? Some invisible and unknown rail project from ilasamaja to shomoluor ikorocu that we know nothign about?

4. Exactly what kind of project is the American ambasador seeking from Fashola? Some oil exploration deal on behalf of Chevron or Exon?

5. Common sense should tell you that diplomats and world leaders trooping to see the governor of an ordinary state in Nigeria is more than some silly and phantom contracts.

6. Well, Fashola and the Russian ambasador and many more diplomats just discussed cooperation so what are you going to do about it? Are you going to kill yourself? Take Fashola to court?

Btw, if diplomats don't need clearance from the federal government before visiting Fashola, so what's the meaning of your silly and ignorant federal government rant?

Please get over yourself already with your pointless garbage..
Get over yourself

(1) (2) (Reply)

Another Proof That GEJ Purchased Arms For The Nigerian Military (pics) / Ohaneze Demands Creation Of South East Development Commission -- Punch / Senator Abaribe Speech On Ndi Igbo And Biafra(long Read)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 88
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.