Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,775 members, 7,817,195 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 08:06 AM

The Lies We Were Told When We Were Kids - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / The Lies We Were Told When We Were Kids (2752 Views)

Lies We Told Our Parents So They Have Our Backs / 3 Years Ago They Were Told To Plan His Funeral, But Look At Him Now(photo) / How Would You React If Your Newly Married Wife Told You This (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Lies We Were Told When We Were Kids by Sonye(f): 5:34pm On Jun 07, 2008
Just curious to know. . . .just for fun. what were the lies your parents told you and now thinking about it, you feel stupid?

my parents told us when the ice cream van plays a song, it means he has no ice cream.so we never got to request for one when we see the ice cream man

we were also told whistling in the dark attracts snake. i still don't know if that one sef is a lie

what's yours?
Re: The Lies We Were Told When We Were Kids by Godalone(m): 2:19pm On Jun 08, 2008
I was told that if i spit on the ground and another person steps on it i will have sore in my throat.I was equally told that if i stay very close to someone who is in the toilet that my mother's breast and that person's mother's breast will stick together.
Re: The Lies We Were Told When We Were Kids by ifyalways(f): 10:37pm On Jun 08, 2008
i was told that creating a thread without using the search buttons attracts a ban.lol cheesy i think there is a similar thread nyways nothing spoil
@Topic,i was told that u dont answer calls at nite,if you do so,u might end up answering spirits grin
Re: The Lies We Were Told When We Were Kids by fun4me2(f): 11:50am On Jun 09, 2008
i was told by my elder bros dat if i fed him,he wud become small grin so dat way he took large morsels of my food without he letting my give him my small bits grin grin
Re: The Lies We Were Told When We Were Kids by fun4me2(f): 11:53am On Jun 09, 2008
i was told u'll get pregnant when u sit near a boy,esp when ure ON
Re: The Lies We Were Told When We Were Kids by fun4me2(f): 12:04pm On Jun 09, 2008
i was told dat d snake lizard (alayanbere) will become a big snake if we dont sing a particular song anytime we saw it

d song (alanyanbere morie -- snake lizard i sound u)
"ko to dejo moti dabere -- b4 u turn to a snake,i'll change to a needle)
"eje mi koro bi ewuro -- my blood is as bitter as bitterleaf)
popopo ---

LOL can u imagine and we feel 4it big time. cheesy grin

1 Like

Re: The Lies We Were Told When We Were Kids by fun4me2(f): 12:07pm On Jun 09, 2008
i used to wet d bed when i was young,was told i will be forced to eat a wallgecko (omonile in yoruba) to stop bedwetting.

it got me real scared,i stopped it sharp sharp grin
Re: The Lies We Were Told When We Were Kids by SeanT21(f): 6:55pm On Jun 10, 2008
I was told that if i push the poop out my but, my whole booty will fall in the toilet.

I was also told that if i swallow seeds, trees will grow in my body.

I was also told that if i swallow gum, the gum will wrap aroud my intestine and i wont be able to breathe.
Re: The Lies We Were Told When We Were Kids by sholar70(m): 7:16am On Jun 11, 2008
FUN4ME, this bearing between bedweting and wallgecko make me laugh my ass out loud, it was only meant to scare you to bed so that when you want to whee you gat wake up "sharp sharp" like you put it,

my own lie was you never eat your food sitting in the doorway that if I do even if I ate all the food in world I won't be filled, and I later realised it was just to keep you in normal dining section when you want to eat
Re: The Lies We Were Told When We Were Kids by graffiti: 6:06pm On Jun 12, 2008
fun4me2:

i was told that d snake lizard (alayanbere) will become a big snake if we don't sing a particular song anytime we saw it

d song (alanyanbere morie -- snake lizard i sound u)
"ko to dejo moti dabere -- before u turn to a snake,i'll change to a needle)
"eje mi koro bi ewuro -- my blood is as bitter as bitterleaf)
popopo ---

LOL can u imagine and we feel 4it big time. cheesy grin
LMAO (I remember that too)

I was told that if i dragged a stick on the floor, my mother's breast will grow so long and be dragging on the floor too.
Because I used to bedwet at a time, i was made to kneel down in front of a grinding stone and sing a song for it before i went to bed.(a reminder for th!!e grinding stone to wake me up to wee in the night )!!!

"Omo olota jowo kale o - Grinding stone,good evening o)
"Emi ---- lon ki yin o - It is me ---(name) greeting you o)
"Bi to ba ngbon mi, ki e jimi ---when i'm feeling pressed please wake me o)!!
Oh MY GOODNESS GRACIOUS.

Cant believe i actually did that shocked shocked grin grin
Re: The Lies We Were Told When We Were Kids by Nobody: 6:19pm On Jun 12, 2008
Long hair = winches

Girls wearing pant = sin
Re: The Lies We Were Told When We Were Kids by sheniqua: 1:13am On Jun 13, 2008
I  was a very inquisitive child and when I asked my mom where babies came from she told me that babies grow in a womans stomach and I asked how they came out she told me that when they were fully grown, the baby knocks on the stomach and shouts "let me out",'let me out" and then a door appears on the stomach and the baby comes out.

My aunt told me the mom gets a bellyache and vomits the baby through the mouth.
I thought that was mean and I knew someone was telling a lie.
Re: The Lies We Were Told When We Were Kids by Nobody: 1:20am On Jun 13, 2008
I was told if you swallow orange seeds, it would germinate and start growing in your stomach.
Re: The Lies We Were Told When We Were Kids by coolier(f): 10:09am On Jun 13, 2008
My mum used to say to us don't ever look at your shadow while walking in the sun for fear of dying. And on ones wedding day, the bride while dressing or afterwards must not look at herself in the mirror
Re: The Lies We Were Told When We Were Kids by Gabry(f): 2:41pm On Jun 13, 2008
My mom told me not to run and jump after eating a meal or all the rice will fall out from my ears and eye balls and then I would have to pick it all up and eat it for dinner.

My mom also told me that if I don't behave, she will call Santa's handphone and tell him to give me a rock for Christmas.

My mom then also told me that if I swallow any seeds (watermelon, guava, orange), I will grow that particular fruit tree/plant on my head and then she will have to water it so that it will live.
Re: The Lies We Were Told When We Were Kids by Ade0001(m): 12:01am On Jun 17, 2008
I was told that if someone stands in the doorway while it's raining, that thunder will strike the person dead!.

[s](I only grew up to know that it's a way of keeping us inside whenever it's raining)[/s]
Re: The Lies We Were Told When We Were Kids by tayo4sure(f): 3:52pm On Jun 17, 2008
I was told that, if it's raining, and u stand outside and use ur hand to take the showers, ur hands will fold up.

Was also told that if u spit on the ground and some1 steps on it, u'll have sour throat. grin very funny.
Re: The Lies We Were Told When We Were Kids by Gamine(f): 8:27pm On Jun 17, 2008
We were told if we took too much sugar, we would get torn in half from the anus
Re: The Lies We Were Told When We Were Kids by Ade0001(m): 10:47pm On Jun 17, 2008
we were told that masqurades are dead people who come from heaven to bless their loved ones. And come to think of it, i still wonder why old women would kneel down to greet a masqurade!

(1) (Reply)

What Do You Think About A 50/50 Marriage? / Need Someone To Educate Me / Why Do Parents Compare Their Children To Others?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 24
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.