Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,315 members, 7,811,937 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 12:09 AM

House Rejects Part-time Legislature Proposal - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / House Rejects Part-time Legislature Proposal (9227 Views)

House Rejects Report Exonerating Alison-madueke / Enugu House Rejects Gov Chime’s N11bn Loan Request / Jonathan’s Aide Disowns Okupe 's Comments On The Legislature (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: House Rejects Part-time Legislature Proposal by Nobody: 11:50am On Aug 21, 2013
Promhize: Are these ones mad, is there job not part-time already
They seat on comfy chairs, in a house full of AC, stand whenever they like to spew rubbish. Their sessions is not on a regular basis, they collect bribe while probing.
God! I think we need to start having professional assassins in Nigeria, I'm go in to need their service one day.
must u come here to show us how hungry u are for 72virgins
Re: House Rejects Part-time Legislature Proposal by jpphilips(m): 11:50am On Aug 21, 2013
born9ice: My problem with Nigerian youths is that we dont act to conquer our fears.We should not always sit on the fence.The time is now, their excesses must be checked.As youths of our beloved country, we should learn how to fight for our future.Some old illiterates cant be pushing us this way inother to grow money for their generation while we sit and suffer for not making a statement.Am not saying we should go the way of Eygpt.But something must be done by us.A caller suggested on radio this morning, that we should match to the streets on october 1st not as a political party but as Voice of Nigeria Youths to protest that their wages be made public and cut down to 50percent.
Its not about talking and writing articles or using platforms like this to drive home our points which they dont see.Actions must be taken.
Like they always say 'dont think about what Nigeria can do for you but what you can do for Nigeria'.

22.5m Nigerians majority being youths voted for this mess, which other fight do you want us to fight? we have fought at the polls and majority have spoken, what can a man do?
sorry! i cant fight beyond the polls, give your life a meaning by selecting credible candidates at the polls.during elections, your likes harden their heart to the voice of reason, after voting in charlatans you want people who voted wisely to carry Guns with you? don't you think you are being too ambitious?

Anambrarians had an Akunyili vs Ngige during senatorial elections, they refused Akunyili (who performed in NAFDAC) and chose Ngige, Ngige has gone and slept for two years with no single bill, Anambrarians are warming up to give him the Govt house at the expense of a tested Soludo (who performed at CBN), you see, when he gets there and start misbehaving, the same youths will ask us to fight.

The first arm i will pick up in revolution, be rest assured, that my first bullet will go to the revolution youth leader before the politicians. channel all your revolution energy to mass mobilization for credible people with pedigree and I will support you, if it is to sample my brand new skin for Mopol to test his riffle, then i am not as stup1d as you think.

7 Likes

Re: House Rejects Part-time Legislature Proposal by omenka(m): 11:51am On Aug 21, 2013
MightyThor: Why wont they reject it? they know what they are getting for doing practically noting and in true Nigerian Fashion they rather continue with it than effect a change to suit the current economic situation of the Country.

They feel that they are being made the scapegoat? Now they have started pointing at other excesses in the country, real typical Nigerian, they use others to justify their own exccess,

Ogene explained that the idea was laughable
because the N150 billion allocated to the National
Assembly was only a small fraction of this year's
N4.9 trillion national budget.
“Rather than blaming the National Assembly for the
poor finances of the country, the questions that
should be asked are: Why do we need up to 40
ministers? Why do we have up to 10 aircraft in the
presidential fleet? These are the issues that should
be taken into consideration instead of saying that
one arm of government should be shut down,” Ogene
stated.
[i][/i]

Imagine this Guy,
so you know that 10 planes are too much for the presidential fleet? (Yet our Petroleum Minster still charters jets for official tours,SMH what a waste)

So you know that 40 ministers is too much yet you say nothing?

So you know that 150 Billion for the National Assembly alone is a fraction of the yearly budget for the whole country, yet their are Infrastructure to be developed, Agriculture and Education are stagnant among other problems yet you are happy taking a "fraction" for your pockets!

You compare your selves with American Congress, did you compare the economies of both countries as well? whereas they can afford to the extravagant (which they are not) we can not afford to be, yet the greed of our National Assembly will not let them propose a reduced salary scale, rather they will take till there is nothing more to take again.

I hope Oby continues to propose such radical ideas, maybe, just maybe if we try it it will work. They should get their lazy a$$ of those heavily padded executive chairs and do other things with their lives. They can even get some practical feel of normal day to day activities of the ordinary masses. That can even help them propose better people oriented laws and bills in the house.

I WONDER IF THEIR SALARIES WERE DRASTICALLY CUT, IF THEIR WILL STILL BE A MAD RUSH TO GET INTO THESE POLITICAL OFFICES?

You've sed all I wanted to say and more. Spot on!
Re: House Rejects Part-time Legislature Proposal by Nobody: 11:56am On Aug 21, 2013
Thieves standing as one.
What I want to ask is, when is the military going to round up these mofos and put bullets in their heads?
People keep saying we would be worse off under military governance but I swear these democracy thieves are choking the life out of our collective soul. I don't remember things being this bad with the past military, these legislators are lavishing crucial public fund and brazenly justifying such, even slyly asking 'whatchu gon do about it'! Somebody terminate these common thieves abeg!!
Re: House Rejects Part-time Legislature Proposal by henryboff(m): 12:00pm On Aug 21, 2013
Naija I hail thee. We will always come to Nairaland and rant without actually taking any actions or proposing any solutions. We all know that we have rogues in the legislature and that they are very well paid rogues but every election year we go to the polls and elect the same set of rogues into office again.
I am sure that most of the people here ranting will not do any better if put in the same situation. Naija is the one country I know where people who are actually qualified and suited for elective offices actually shy away from politics. These same people will now come to Nairaland and say all sorts of things about the thugs that they allowed to take those offices in the first place.
Re: House Rejects Part-time Legislature Proposal by 2goodbobo(m): 12:01pm On Aug 21, 2013
See how all of them are singing thesame songs. What is wrong if the sacrifice begins from the National Assembly? I can bet my Lunch on it that they will never agreed for part time legislating.
Re: House Rejects Part-time Legislature Proposal by YoshiMaster: 12:08pm On Aug 21, 2013
henryboff: Naija I hail thee. We will always come to Nairaland and rant without actually taking any actions or proposing any solutions. We all know that we have rogues in the legislature and that they are very well paid rogues but every election year we go to the polls and elect the same set of rogues into office again.
I am sure that most of the people here ranting will not do any better if put in the same situation. Naija is the one country I know where people who are actually qualified and suited for elective offices actually shy away from politics. These same people will now come to Nairaland and say all sorts of things about the thugs that they allowed to take those offices in the first place.

I want to be a Governor, but don't know where to start.
Re: House Rejects Part-time Legislature Proposal by yheenkhar1st: 12:15pm On Aug 21, 2013
These bunch of mediocre and illiterate people are the problems of Nigeria. They nothing on a good day, go on countless recess for months and yet take chunks of the income of nation.
They are voted to correct the wrongs this guy said but they defend their own pocket.
I swear if i were president for a, i would slash considerably the income of elected officers particularly these thieves and government workers to discourage politics and encourage hardwork and innovation by handiwork cos people that have failed in active areas of life are now into politics
Re: House Rejects Part-time Legislature Proposal by yheenkhar1st: 12:15pm On Aug 21, 2013
These bunch of mediocre and illiterate people are the problems of Nigeria. They do nothing on a good day, go on countless recess for months and yet take chunks of the income of nation.
They are voted to correct the wrongs this guy said but they defend their own pocket.
I swear if i were president for a, i would slash considerably the income of elected officers particularly these thieves and government workers to discourage politics and encourage hardwork and innovation by handiwork cos people that have failed in active areas of life are now into politics
Re: House Rejects Part-time Legislature Proposal by taharqa: 12:16pm On Aug 21, 2013
greaterlove: This guys are funny, Ezekwesili said you have gulped over a trillion naira in 8yrs and you are still arguing that your allocation is only 150billion per year, except my arithmetic is that bad, that still makes it over a trillion naira in 8 years, she is right, they should just own up.
lol.... Exactly
Re: House Rejects Part-time Legislature Proposal by ZealTitus(m): 12:20pm On Aug 21, 2013
Nigeria and it problems
Re: House Rejects Part-time Legislature Proposal by Dagoma: 12:27pm On Aug 21, 2013
I think Ezekwesili is right, she says over 1trillion in 8 yrs, and these Hons confirmed that their budget is 150 billion annually. So, by simple calculation, these Hons swallowed 1.2 trillion in 8 yrs. This is with the exception of 'GHANA MUST GO's' from MDAs and Presidency. Something need to be done urgently. May God change it for better.
Re: House Rejects Part-time Legislature Proposal by taharqa: 12:36pm On Aug 21, 2013
Dagoma: I think Ezekwesili is right, she says over 1trillion in 8 yrs, and these Hons confirmed that their budget is 150 billion annually. So, by simple calculation, these Hons swallowed 1.2 trillion in 8 yrs. This is with the exception of 'GHANA MUST GO's' from MDAs and Presidency. Something need to be done urgently. May God change it for better.
The Presidency NO LONGA shares any 'Ghana must go' with them anymore. That is one of d biggest problems bw this NA and d Presidency..

1 Like

Re: House Rejects Part-time Legislature Proposal by Bizibi(m): 12:41pm On Aug 21, 2013
By the time youths start kidnapping them and their family members thn they go know say mata don change infact if any kidnapper wan do him job well just go fr these set of people deir own dn pass sand for garri
Re: House Rejects Part-time Legislature Proposal by Bizibi(m): 12:45pm On Aug 21, 2013
yheenkhar1st: These bunch of mediocre and illiterate people are the problems of Nigeria. They do nothing on a good day, go on countless recess for months and yet take chunks of the income of nation.
u sure say u go do am,by the time u enter there temptation fit make u change ur mind oh
Re: House Rejects Part-time Legislature Proposal by anonimi: 1:02pm On Aug 21, 2013
“In a democracy, we should not just concentrate on what we spend but we should also look at what we get in the process. We should do a cost benefit analysis of running the National Assembly as a vital institution of democracy,” he said.

This guy thinks he is talking to players of Dundee United aka confirmed mumgus abi na wetin?
What did Nigerians get in the process?
How many bills were raised and passed into laws by the supposed LAWMAKERS and how did they address issues of concern to the people?
Or how eles do we measure how this "vital institution of democracy" has performed with the millions they RECEIVE from us while other workers in the same government are paid 18k minimum wage.
Even sef useless governments such as the state of Osun will be paying 8k net under cover of some senseless empowerment of OYES and still expect to be praised.
Only in mumuland!!!

2 Likes

Re: House Rejects Part-time Legislature Proposal by kinguwem: 1:10pm On Aug 21, 2013
Samoo01: ‘‘The American democracy could be said to be on
autopilot yet, they have not experimented with a
part-time legislature.’’

Far from it. United States Congress is even more divisive and acrimonious than ours. They're also very corrupt but with a different approach (See: Louisiana Purchase, Cornhusker Kickback and Insider Trading for instance)

I don't think part time legislative proceeding is what we need. Au contraire, the system we need is a parliamentary cum provincial system of government modelled in tandem with Australia and Canada.
You are correct my brother. The bicameral legislature is too expensive & ineffective for our democracy. The parliamentary system of government will reduce the cost of governance.
Re: House Rejects Part-time Legislature Proposal by YoshiMaster: 1:19pm On Aug 21, 2013
Bizibi: u sure say u go do am,by the time u enter there temptation fit make u change ur mind oh

Everybody has their weakness, money isn't mine(not saying I have money, just that I will not sell out for it). Nigerians should vote for me.
Re: House Rejects Part-time Legislature Proposal by mbulela: 1:20pm On Aug 21, 2013
You expect a man to willingly piss into his feeding trough?
That is a miracle in the size of water to wine proportion.
That kind of change can only be enforced violently from outside not peacefully from within.
Re: House Rejects Part-time Legislature Proposal by YoshiMaster: 1:23pm On Aug 21, 2013
anonimi:

This guy thinks he is talking to players of Dundee United aka confirmed mumgus abi na wetin?
What did Nigerians get in the process?
How many bills were raised and passed into laws by the supposed LAWMAKERS and how did they address issues of concern to the people?
Or how eles do we measure how this "vital institution of democracy" has performed with the millions they RECEIVE from us while other workers in the same government are paid 18k minimum wage.
Even sef useless governments such as the state of Osun will be paying 8k net under cover of some senseless empowerment of OYES and still expect to be praised.
Only in mumuland!!!

Thank you very much for noticing that bit, "what we get in the process".

The guy must think its like dolling out cash to get a Bentley, and then admiring the Bentley as what you got in the process of spending all that money.

What have we gotten as Nigerians to justify all the money they make?

For the record 150 billion, out of 4 trillion, is not small. If the 4 trillion was meant for 1000 people, then you can say that 150 billion is small, but that's not the case.
Re: House Rejects Part-time Legislature Proposal by YoshiMaster: 1:26pm On Aug 21, 2013
mbulela: You expect a man to willingly piss into his feeding trough?
That is a miracle in the size of water to wine proportion.
That kind of change can only be enforced violently from outside not peacefully from within.

That's why its called a sacrifice, and lets be real, they wouldn't be sacrificing much even if we halved their pay.

When I was working as an Engineer on projects, I used to charge less when the project budget was being reached. That showed sacrifice on my part to the company, and helped them value me more during rough times in the economy.
Re: House Rejects Part-time Legislature Proposal by henryboff(m): 1:27pm On Aug 21, 2013
Yoshi-Master:

I want to be a Governor, but don't know where to start.
You should start by joining a political party.
Re: House Rejects Part-time Legislature Proposal by YoshiMaster: 1:34pm On Aug 21, 2013
henryboff:
You should start by joining a political party.

I think I might do that, I just don't like the way political parties operate in Nigeria, where they oppose everything by the opposition whether good or bad. I heard you can run as an independent, but I don't know how much success one can get from being an independent candidate within the current political atmosphere in Nigeria.

Guess I will have to join a party, and hope that I get there someday to be able to make a difference.
Re: House Rejects Part-time Legislature Proposal by McLuhan(m): 1:38pm On Aug 21, 2013
The hour is soon coming when the garrulous mouths of these thieving politicians will be permanently shut. These are the same parasites who for donkey's years now have been sucking the nation's lifeblood, emasculating the economy, and rendering the younger generations hopeless. The grand denouement of this political farce cannot be far away. The milk cow is almost lifeless now and the milking cannot long continue. Something has to happen, and that "happening" will not spare any political leeches, regardless of partisan affiliation.
Re: House Rejects Part-time Legislature Proposal by misterjosh(m): 1:47pm On Aug 21, 2013
150billion no b small money o, sey unah plenty wey dey share am ni, mschewww
Re: House Rejects Part-time Legislature Proposal by henryboff(m): 1:47pm On Aug 21, 2013
Yoshi-Master:

I think I might do that, I just don't like the way political parties operate in Nigeria, where they oppose everything by the opposition whether good or bad. I heard you can run as an independent, but I don't know how much success one can get from being an independent candidate within the current political atmosphere in Nigeria.

Guess I will have to join a party, and hope that I get there someday to be able to make a difference.
The political situation can only change when people who want positive change start by participating in the process. You may not win at first but your mere presence sends a message.
Re: House Rejects Part-time Legislature Proposal by mbulela: 2:09pm On Aug 21, 2013
Yoshi-Master:

That's why its called a sacrifice, and lets be real, they wouldn't be sacrificing much even if we halved their pay.

When I was working as an Engineer on projects, I used to charge less when the project budget was being reached. That showed sacrifice on my part to the company, and helped them value me more during rough times in the economy.
you obviously do not know the lot you are dealing with.
They are in it for the pay. The only way they will tamper with the status quo is if they see a way to plunder more.
Expecting a rational decision from barbarians at a city center is laughable.
This guys have moved from the corner shops,they now own the city center. Poo is about to get worse. Believing otherwise is delusional.
Re: House Rejects Part-time Legislature Proposal by mbulela: 2:12pm On Aug 21, 2013
henryboff:
The political situation can only change when people who want positive change start by participating in the process. You may not win at first but your mere presence sends a message.
I uswed to believe that epistle of yours.
People who want positive change have been participating for a while. Truth is the stench is stronger than they first imagined and in the process of sending out a message,they themselves have been converted to the camp of the barbarians. you and i know many men and women who joined the polity with good intentions. Where are they today? The system is structured to contain only barbarians. Only an external force can halt this fast moving train. Applying brakes intermittently is futile.
Re: House Rejects Part-time Legislature Proposal by Odyluv: 2:32pm On Aug 21, 2013
Yes, we all need to demand for the reduction of the cost of governance holistically, starting from the president and his SAs, national assembly to ministries to parastatals and agencies and so on. The time public office becomes less financialy attractive, then there wud b less criminals fighting for the seats
Re: House Rejects Part-time Legislature Proposal by YoshiMaster: 2:43pm On Aug 21, 2013
mbulela:
People who want positive change have been participating for a while. Truth is the stench is stronger than they first imagined and in the process of sending out a message,they themselves have been converted to the camp of the barbarians. you and i know many men and women who joined the polity with good intentions. Where are they today? The system is structured to contain only barbarians. Only an external force can halt this fast moving train. Applying brakes intermittently is futile.

So, wouldn't the possibility of independent candidates be a solution? That way, there would be no party affiliations, and hopefully no chance of one getting corrupted by the system.

With regards to holding a political position under a party, are you saying that no one with good intentions can ever get the party vote?
Re: House Rejects Part-time Legislature Proposal by AjanleKoko: 2:45pm On Aug 21, 2013
mbulela:

Do you know, I was having a chat with someone today, and we concluded that benign dictatorship is the only way to take Nigeria forward. Democracy or civil rule is gradually becoming pointless.
Re: House Rejects Part-time Legislature Proposal by Nobody: 2:52pm On Aug 21, 2013
[color=#990000][/color]COME OCTOBER 1ST, WE WILL TAKE TO THE STREETS AND PEACEFULLY DEMAND RADICAL CHANGES FOR BETTER LIVES. THE FUTURE IS NOW!!!

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

The SE Have Oil For Those Of You In SS That Call Us Thieves / Herders Adamant, Southern Govs Fail To Enforce Anti-Open Grazing Law / 2 Catholic Churches Attacked In Enugu.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 69
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.