Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,448 members, 7,816,039 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 12:22 AM

Top 12 Pennywise-pound-foolish Car Practices - Car Talk (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Top 12 Pennywise-pound-foolish Car Practices (24386 Views)

When Is The Last Time You Changed Your Headlights? Learn Some Best Practices / Top 12 Popular Demand Car Brands Available In Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Top 12 Pennywise-pound-foolish Car Practices by Immune1(m): 8:01pm On Aug 23, 2013
hectoro:
@poster: Thanks a lot for this very useful information, very appreciated- from a single girl with all her brothers out of the country...

Please can you tell us more about gauging tires? Why do the vulcanizer chaps always want to do a different figure from whats on the car?

As for ignoring that ABS light, do so at your own peril. Several years ago, I had a Honda Accord that the mechanic messed up the braking system and told me to ignore the blinking light. Suffice to say I thank God I am still aliv; that was the last tokunbo car i ever bought. I swore that i would never have dealings outside of a car sellers workshop!!!!! So I bought a kia and now use a toyota.

God deliver us from Naija artisans
Don't mind them oh!Do what your car manual states rather than their figures.To be on the safe side buy a handy digital pressure gauge and check your tyre pressure yourself preferably in the morning when you haven't driven yet.Besides you are likely to get false readings under the sun and with your tyres all heated up from driving.
Re: Top 12 Pennywise-pound-foolish Car Practices by Nobody: 8:16pm On Aug 23, 2013
Chai, so many things to check! And I thought Automatic transmission was stress free. I wish there were places we could go, or people we could hand over the cars to to just service (as in wheel balncing, alignment, scans, changing of transmission fluid, checking coolant, and just generally help us check for problems).
Unfortunately, we can't trust most naija auto servicemen. They'd even invent problems where there were none.

2 Likes

Re: Top 12 Pennywise-pound-foolish Car Practices by JideTheBlogger(m): 8:21pm On Aug 23, 2013
Nice tips. #Followed
Re: Top 12 Pennywise-pound-foolish Car Practices by pricelessmr: 8:45pm On Aug 23, 2013
Thank you for this. I truly want to learn how to do this myself or atleast instruct them (Mechanic) on what to do and confirm if it was well done.
Most mechanics around my area are poorly trained and do guess-work on vehicles feeding clients with wrong advice. I am a victim and now need to change my entire auto gearbox. My fear is which Mechanic can i trust to fix it properly? Already considering getting a Mechanic from Lagos to the east.
Re: Top 12 Pennywise-pound-foolish Car Practices by iamdsam: 8:54pm On Aug 23, 2013
Hmmmm... I don't have a car yet but I must say that these tips were well said. Most Nigerian drivers ignore most of these safety tips. I've experienced most of these in public transport system and I've also seen private drivers struggling in such situations several times.
Re: Top 12 Pennywise-pound-foolish Car Practices by iamdsam: 8:55pm On Aug 23, 2013
JideTheBlogger: Nice tips. #Followed
I got you. Do you have a car? I like to get your contact
Re: Top 12 Pennywise-pound-foolish Car Practices by Nobody: 8:57pm On Aug 23, 2013
Thanks for this great post. I have the following questions that beg for answer from a car expert.

1. The AirBag light keeps blinking, is that normal?

2. There is this sensor light on the dashboard, it blinks all the time, I just ignore it; what's the light about?

3. When I got the car (from my dad), the water that was in the cooling system is green in color, somebody said it's oxidant or something, please why is the water green? I have been adding ordinary water (almost 8months now) and the green is beginning to fade, will it cause over-heating if I continue to use ordinary water? What's the name of the gree substance? How expensive is it?

4. By using the car air conditioning system all the time, what effect does it have on the engine at long run?

Am sorry for the long post, am a novice when it comes to car stuff, all I do is kick start the car and drive. Thanks in anticipation.
Re: Top 12 Pennywise-pound-foolish Car Practices by keziah123: 9:19pm On Aug 23, 2013
[quote author=adeaugustus] the green stuff is called radiator coolant. You can get it from any Total filling station.

1 Like

Re: Top 12 Pennywise-pound-foolish Car Practices by Kx: 9:33pm On Aug 23, 2013
Beaf!:
Thanks. Does automatic transmission needs servicing? And how often can that be?
Is dis d original beaf that some nlanders call Reno abi dis one with exclamation mark na wanna be?
Re: Top 12 Pennywise-pound-foolish Car Practices by Provie(m): 9:41pm On Aug 23, 2013
Tanx OP.

My ABS indicator has bn on for over 3months now; my more xperienced neighbor said it wz because d new brake pads I fixed dont hav certain "switch", unlike d replaced "follow-come". I belivd him because d lights came on soon after I changed d pads.

Another do-it-urself routine maintenance dat may hav costly consequences if neglected is cleaning or changing d Air Filter. Dirty/dusty Air Filter makes ur car 2 drag, increases fuel consumption, & wears d engine.
Re: Top 12 Pennywise-pound-foolish Car Practices by theanonymous: 9:52pm On Aug 23, 2013
femi4: I ve been driving with "check engine light ON" for two yrs.....who cares?
Buying fuel @97 per litre is already expensive.
Re: Top 12 Pennywise-pound-foolish Car Practices by theanonymous: 9:54pm On Aug 23, 2013
priscaoge: Being a virgin used to be fun, not until ritualists started using people like 'us' for rituals....
This one don go gaga o!! Whatz the relationship between your comment and this topic?
Re: Top 12 Pennywise-pound-foolish Car Practices by teskyg: 9:54pm On Aug 23, 2013
Please,I need help.I usually see the Indicator light at my dashboard.Lastweek.I changed my shaft and the light disapear.Now,its back again.My Mechanic told me it means nothing.Am worried now after it disappear and came back.
Re: Top 12 Pennywise-pound-foolish Car Practices by Nobody: 10:07pm On Aug 23, 2013
Beaf!:
Thanks. Does automatic transmission needs servicing? And how often can that be?

Every 100,000 km gain on the odometer reading...

@ topic, i'm guilty of the wheel alignment/balancing and my tyres have worn badly. Owing to one bad camber bushing which i didnt change on time, i almost had an accident and brake failure. And i went for balancing when i needed none and boys succeded in finishing off my tyres via uneven wear in less than one month.

Ignoring a tiny aspect of your car maintenance can cause multiple damage.
Re: Top 12 Pennywise-pound-foolish Car Practices by Nobody: 10:11pm On Aug 23, 2013
krugar07: what is the relation btw ur post and the topic

Mad people exist everywhere even online...

If she answers your question, ask her again. The relationship between a ritualist and a virgin...
Re: Top 12 Pennywise-pound-foolish Car Practices by Nobody: 10:48pm On Aug 23, 2013
Expected 2 c Thermostat removal.
Re: Top 12 Pennywise-pound-foolish Car Practices by olopan(m): 11:50pm On Aug 23, 2013
thanks @ OP well i do not have a car just yet but i will sure to let my in on all this info's cool
Re: Top 12 Pennywise-pound-foolish Car Practices by Immune1(m): 5:19am On Aug 24, 2013
teskyg: Please,I need help.I usually see the Indicator light at my dashboard.Lastweek.I changed my shaft and the light disapear.Now,its back again.My Mechanic told me it means nothing.Am worried now after it disappear and came back.
Run a proper diagnostic check to be sure;my guess is that your wheel speed sensors are bad or not properly re-connected.
Re: Top 12 Pennywise-pound-foolish Car Practices by Immune1(m): 5:32am On Aug 24, 2013
adeaugustus: Thanks for this great post. I have the following questions that beg for answer from a car expert.

1. The AirBag light keeps blinking, is that normal?

2. There is this sensor light on the dashboard, it blinks all the time, I just ignore it; what's the light about?

3. When I got the car (from my dad), the water that was in the cooling system is green in color, somebody said it's oxidant or something, please why is the water green? I have been adding ordinary water (almost 8months now) and the green is beginning to fade, will it cause over-heating if I continue to use ordinary water? What's the name of the gree substance? How expensive is it?

4. By using the car air conditioning system all the time, what effect does it have on the engine at long run?

Am sorry for the long post, am a novice when it comes to car stuff, all I do is kick start the car and drive. Thanks in anticipation.

Airbag blinking isn't normal and it could be a real concern if the bags have already been engaged.
Using A/C all the time isn't bad per say;but fuel consumption level is definately higher especially if you use it when driving below 60km/hr.
I will suggest you stop using mere water;then flush your radiator entirely(reverse flush preferably).Then re-fill the radiator with a mix of water and coolant proportionately(70-30 or 50-50) depending on your car brand.

1 Like

Re: Top 12 Pennywise-pound-foolish Car Practices by Osama10(m): 5:57am On Aug 24, 2013
Our major problem in this part of the world is the lack of good auto service garage.

I thought Siena was planning to open one in Nigeria.
Re: Top 12 Pennywise-pound-foolish Car Practices by Nobody: 6:37am On Aug 24, 2013
@ OP URE SO ON POINT GOD BLESS
BUT I THINK ITS UNFAIR TO ACCUSE SOME OF US OF BEING STINGY
BEING IGNORANT, YES BUT I ASSURE U I DONT SCRIMP ON MY CAR.
Re: Top 12 Pennywise-pound-foolish Car Practices by duruh: 7:46am On Aug 24, 2013
nyz 1
Re: Top 12 Pennywise-pound-foolish Car Practices by JUO(m): 9:25am On Aug 24, 2013
I thought Siena was planning to open one in Nigeria.
we are still expecting him to
Re: Top 12 Pennywise-pound-foolish Car Practices by Victorsky(m): 9:36am On Aug 24, 2013
yuzedo: Great article!

For some of the points raised, kindly elucidate/englighten greenhorns on how to carry out preventive checks; e.g. Brake pads, transmission, etc.

Also if Siena can help answer a personal query: My car dashboard has had the ABS light ignited for months now. Mechanic tells me not to worry about it. Your take? Many thanks in anticipation of a helpful response..

Top up your Hydralic fluid. My sienna indicates ABS on the dash board and I consulted the manuals that followed the SUV and add more Hydralic...the ABS light disappeared. try it.
Re: Top 12 Pennywise-pound-foolish Car Practices by hammedkola(m): 10:05am On Aug 24, 2013
Na naija we dey...we no dey hear word easily
Re: Top 12 Pennywise-pound-foolish Car Practices by theanonymous: 10:10am On Aug 24, 2013
hammedkola: Na naija we dey...we no dey hear word easily
Re: Top 12 Pennywise-pound-foolish Car Practices by Immune1(m): 11:05am On Aug 24, 2013
Victorsky: yuzedo: Great article!

For some of the points raised, kindly elucidate/englighten greenhorns on how to carry out preventive checks; e.g. Brake pads, transmission, etc.

Also if Siena can help answer a personal query: My car dashboard has had the ABS light ignited for months now. Mechanic tells me not to worry about it. Your take? Many thanks in anticipation of a helpful response..

Top up your Hydralic fluid. My sienna indicates ABS on the dash board and I consulted the manuals that followed the SUV and add more Hydralic...the ABS light disappeared. try it.
Here are a few helpful topics: autobaseafrica.com/more-facts-about-obdii-scanning/
autobaseafrica.com/basic-brake-system-care/

autobaseafrica.com/getting-the-best-from-your-local-mechanic/
Re: Top 12 Pennywise-pound-foolish Car Practices by cardoctor(m): 11:41am On Aug 24, 2013
Well on point.

Car-Doctor.
Re: Top 12 Pennywise-pound-foolish Car Practices by teskyg: 1:42pm On Aug 24, 2013
Thanks Immune.Will run a check.
Re: Top 12 Pennywise-pound-foolish Car Practices by tunsmann(m): 6:16pm On Aug 24, 2013
hectoro: i think you are just a poser,you know giving details of ur brand new cars and shit.how many people can afford new cars,just becos ur mech messed up ur brake system
pls get real,and be humble.no hard feeling though.
@poster: Thanks a lot for this very useful information, very appreciated- from a single girl with all her brothers out of the country...

Please can you tell us more about gauging tires? Why do the vulcanizer chaps always want to do a different figure from whats on the car?

As for ignoring that ABS light, do so at your own peril. Several years ago, I had a Honda Accord that the mechanic messed up the braking system and told me to ignore the blinking light. Suffice to say I thank God I am still aliv; that was the last tokunbo car i ever bought. I swore that i would never have dealings outside of a car sellers workshop!!!!! So I bought a kia and now use a toyota.

God deliver us from Naija artisans
Re: Top 12 Pennywise-pound-foolish Car Practices by timmyudemba: 11:44pm On Aug 24, 2013
Tnx a lot 4 dis info,it sure helps,well I ve been using a nissan maxima 4 abt 5yrs nw,and since I got it d engine check lite has neva gone off,my mechanic says it means nothing,does it really mean nothing.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Mercedes Benz Embeds Entire G-Class SUV In Amber For DNA To Live Forever(Photos) / SON Certifies Innoson Vehicles, Issues MANCAP Certificate / How To Avoid Buying A Foreign But Stolen Car In Nigeria

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 45
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.