Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,682 members, 7,809,584 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 11:38 AM

I Will Sign More Death Warrants — Oshiomhole - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / I Will Sign More Death Warrants — Oshiomhole (15724 Views)

Oshiomhole Builds 30-feet Underground Drainage System In Benin (photos) / Jonathan Asks Governors To Sign Death Warrants Of Condemned Criminals / Plolice Issues International Arrest Warrants For El-rufai And Ribadu (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

I Will Sign More Death Warrants — Oshiomhole by MAYOWAAK: 8:47pm On Aug 23, 2013
Governor Adams Oshiomhole of Edo State, southern Nigeria, said he would sign the death warrants of convicts who killed their victims.

Oshiomhole gave this assurance in Benin on Thursday when members of the Conference of Non-Governmental Organisations (CONGOs) paid him a courtesy visit.

“There are seven convicts whose cases are being reviewed. I will sign the death warrant of any of them, especially kidnappers, found to have killed any of their victims.

“I believe that those who kill by the sword should also die by the sword,” the governor said.

Oshiomhole said that signing convicts’ death warrants was a signal to other criminals that the state was a wrong place for criminal activities.

He said that the non-execution of convicted criminals in the last 15 to 20 years had not led to reduction in criminality in the state.

He, however, said that the government was proposing to the state legislature that if kidnappers released their victims unharmed and without raping them, such kidnappers should be given life imprisonment.

Oshiomhole also said that if the need arose, the Edo Government would make law to protect the girl-child from underage marriage.

He, however, pointed out that the girl-child marriage was not an issue in the state, adding that the problem with Nigeria was not in making laws but implementing them.

The governor said that there was the need to strengthen the partnership between the Edo government and NGOs.

Earlier, the President of CONGOs, Mr Jude Obasami, said although CONGOs condemn kidnapping and other crimes, Edo government “should apply human face” with regards to signing death warrants.

The News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) recalls media reports on July 23 that Oshiomhole signed the death warrants of four criminals and were executed in Benin.

The next day, his Chief Press Secretary, Mr Peter Okhiria, however, denied that Oshiomhole ever signed such warrants.

—Kazeem Ugbodaga

http://pmnewsnigeria.com/2013/08/23/ill-sign-more-death-warrants-oshiomhole/

4 Likes

Re: I Will Sign More Death Warrants — Oshiomhole by Longeria(m): 9:28pm On Aug 23, 2013
Re: I Will Sign More Death Warrants — Oshiomhole by Nobody: 10:44am On Aug 24, 2013
Re: I Will Sign More Death Warrants — Oshiomhole by yertyr(m): 10:44am On Aug 24, 2013

2 Likes

Re: I Will Sign More Death Warrants — Oshiomhole by Oahray: 10:46am On Aug 24, 2013
Re: I Will Sign More Death Warrants — Oshiomhole by Nobody: 10:47am On Aug 24, 2013
and don't forget to sign that of convicted polithiefcians

5 Likes

Re: I Will Sign More Death Warrants — Oshiomhole by Excelboi(m): 10:47am On Aug 24, 2013
Hey guys, whats with the dot? In other news, i support this totally,. And to those who troll nairaland, they should be given life imprisonement ban
Re: I Will Sign More Death Warrants — Oshiomhole by Nobody: 10:48am On Aug 24, 2013
That's exactly what they deserve.

2 Likes

Re: I Will Sign More Death Warrants — Oshiomhole by rozayx5(m): 10:48am On Aug 24, 2013
Yungwizzzy: .

R2bees: .

Longeria: .

oh boy see space booking shocked shocked shocked shocked

8 Likes

Re: I Will Sign More Death Warrants — Oshiomhole by Nobody: 10:49am On Aug 24, 2013
yertyr: .
R2bees: .
Longeria: .
Oahray: .
Yungwizzzy: .

pathetic

@osho
Don't forget that those who kill by the pen ...... undecided

If anyone has truly changed then I think a second chance is deserved

2 Likes

Re: I Will Sign More Death Warrants — Oshiomhole by Anakin007(m): 10:50am On Aug 24, 2013
Every1 deserves a 2nd chance 2 live.Dats realy cruel of him.He sud av given dem benefit of a doubt.Like if u agree

1 Like

Re: I Will Sign More Death Warrants — Oshiomhole by buoye1(m): 10:50am On Aug 24, 2013
OK...go ahead

1 Like

Re: I Will Sign More Death Warrants — Oshiomhole by MEILYN(m): 10:51am On Aug 24, 2013
Unreasonable. Politicians kill everyday but go unpunished, am not saying to kill is a good thing but he should av thought of it b4 coming out to say dis stuff....

2 Likes

Re: I Will Sign More Death Warrants — Oshiomhole by waternogetenemy: 10:51am On Aug 24, 2013
Who cares? U are all the same.

2 Likes

Re: I Will Sign More Death Warrants — Oshiomhole by Nobody: 10:52am On Aug 24, 2013
Who cares
Re: I Will Sign More Death Warrants — Oshiomhole by kayce911(f): 10:53am On Aug 24, 2013
If you sow evil u'll reap evil...thumbs up mr governor.

2 Likes

Re: I Will Sign More Death Warrants — Oshiomhole by theSpark(m): 10:53am On Aug 24, 2013

All of em are scared of commenting ne? Well, I am strongly in support of Mr Oshiomole. Tho I think those who have spent up to 7 years on death row should have their cases commuted to life terms. Then every other murderer shud face the lawful music.
Re: I Will Sign More Death Warrants — Oshiomhole by Anakin007(m): 10:54am On Aug 24, 2013
Aw dis 1. Take concern me.Eatin my rice with okro soup jare

1 Like

Re: I Will Sign More Death Warrants — Oshiomhole by JohnieWalker(m): 10:55am On Aug 24, 2013
dat nyc decision from the comrade guvnor

1 Like

Re: I Will Sign More Death Warrants — Oshiomhole by kennyonthrone(m): 10:55am On Aug 24, 2013
Na u sabi lyk u said dose who live by d. Sword die by d'sword lyk u have neva killed or conspired 2 kill b4.......abeg nxt d'sign d'go na anyway talk is cheap nd free
Re: I Will Sign More Death Warrants — Oshiomhole by Nobody: 11:01am On Aug 24, 2013
ok,sign it,and de congest the prisons.
Re: I Will Sign More Death Warrants — Oshiomhole by Nuzo1(m): 11:01am On Aug 24, 2013
Oshiomole should thread carefully before he signs innocent people to be slaughtered for nothing.

With all the almost accurate investigative methods in developed world, their government still find it difficult to sign death warrants for the fear of wrongful conviction.

Now, imagine a country like Nigeria where its words against words. Innocent people go die tire.

I'm all for death penalty with video evidence...or at least; very increaminating evidence. Not hearsay as it is in most cases.

8 Likes

Re: I Will Sign More Death Warrants — Oshiomhole by takeprofit: 11:06am On Aug 24, 2013
what will he gain by killing them?
Re: I Will Sign More Death Warrants — Oshiomhole by Nobody: 11:08am On Aug 24, 2013
In total support,if you want "human face", apply it in your dealings with others
Re: I Will Sign More Death Warrants — Oshiomhole by MrExcel1: 11:09am On Aug 24, 2013
takeprofit: what will he gain by killing them?

It's called deterrence, it's not about what he gains, but the message he sends. I'm all for death penalty. States that enact the death penalty tend to see low crime than states with a free hand

3 Likes

Re: I Will Sign More Death Warrants — Oshiomhole by Nobody: 11:09am On Aug 24, 2013
This is one area where Oshiomole should be commended. Thumbs Up! cool

6 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

FG Sacks Enoch Ogun, Postmaster-General, Over Stamp Duty Controversy / Saraki Meets IBB, PDP Delegates In Niger State (Photos) / Ondo Youths Shut Down Akeredolu’s Office, Protest 'Diversion Of Funds'

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 19
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.