Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,699 members, 7,820,439 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 02:50 PM

Why Certification Since Your Clients Are Satisfied: - Programming - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / Why Certification Since Your Clients Are Satisfied: (1226 Views)

Getting Clients/jobs As A Web Developer / International Clients Won't Give Me Job Because Am From Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Certification Since Your Clients Are Satisfied: by LordLangug(m): 8:52am On Jun 10, 2008
Why certification when your clients are satisfied, , why bubbling around punding questions but not development, why routinal not reasoning programmingly, well, in a cyberworld like this we need to belong,, I think else, not needed. (PHP forever cry)
Re: Why Certification Since Your Clients Are Satisfied: by Ghenghis(m): 4:22pm On Jun 10, 2008
LordLangug:

Why certification when your clients are satisfied, , why bubbling around punding questions but not development, why routinal not reasoning programmingly, well, in a cyberworld like this we need to belong,, I think else, not needed. (PHP forever cry)
, Whatever makes you sleep better ! grin
Re: Why Certification Since Your Clients Are Satisfied: by powerblaze(m): 2:59pm On Jun 23, 2008
Well, certifications are like your Visa, your passport can take you round your nation, but your Visa will give you access to global opportunities
Re: Why Certification Since Your Clients Are Satisfied: by candylips(m): 10:06am On Jun 25, 2008
Programming certifications are rubbish IMHO.
Re: Why Certification Since Your Clients Are Satisfied: by javarules(m): 2:53pm On Jun 25, 2008
How I hate certifications, some punk came to my office brandishing java certification, he was so unlucky that I was around, so my hrm said I should interview him and get back to him. I asked him just a question and he messed up. But he is Sun Certified Java Programmer, as for me certifications are rubbish things. Several guys out there carry ccna around who can not even crimp a networking cable, this is no fable, i have seen it.

In my company, we do our own certification exam for you, even if you like say you have MCZZ we dont like

my 2cents
Re: Why Certification Since Your Clients Are Satisfied: by malone5923(m): 10:56pm On Jun 29, 2008
How I hate certifications, some punk came to my office brandishing java certification, he was so unlucky that I was around, so my hrm said I should interview him and get back to him. I asked him just a question and he messed up. But he is Sun Certified Java Programmer, as for me certifications are rubbish things. Several guys out there carry ccna around who can not even crimp a networking cable, this is no fable, i have seen it.

In my company, we do our own certification exam for you, even if you like say you have MCZZ we don't like

my 2cents
That because the guy has a scjp certification which is questioned based(you can always get dumps for it) if he was a certified web content developer or a certified java achitect which rerquires you pass three modes that involes assignments and essay to acquire the certificate. In all certification isnt rubbbish if you have a high level certificate. No Offence but I don't thinkl you would even pass the sun certified java architect.
Re: Why Certification Since Your Clients Are Satisfied: by javarules(m): 8:39am On Jun 30, 2008
malone5923:

That because the guy has a scjp certification which is questioned based(you can always get dumps for it) if he was a certified web content developer or a certified java achitect which rerquires you pass three modes that involes assignments and essay to acquire the certificate. In all certification isnt rubbbish if you have a high level certificate. No Offence but I don't thinkl you would even pass the sun certified java architect.

I laugh. this is my 2cents, I dont think I need SCJA to prove my java-abilities, avn't u wondered why we dont av so many of them.
Re: Why Certification Since Your Clients Are Satisfied: by malone5923(m): 10:02am On Jun 30, 2008
I laugh. this is my 2cents, I don't think I need SCJA to prove my java-abilities, avn't u wondered why we don't av so many of them.
I am sorry but I don't Understand your terminology, what do you mean by 2 cents and if it means 2 certification which one is it, I bet an apology letter that its a sun certified java developer and a certified mobile application developer and about the part of developers not having the SCJA thats because they can't pass it. If you think you are so good why don't you take It for the fun of it. Just for curiosity sake a you an enterprise developer or web application developer or a solution achitect I will like to Know.
Re: Why Certification Since Your Clients Are Satisfied: by javarules(m): 10:26am On Jun 30, 2008
u avn't heard of 2 cents? how long you've been in this forum, so sorry about it i just tot everyone should know. Its a term we use to simply say a piece of my heart. I don't have a certification and dts because I don't want to, not because I can't pass it. If you have links within Sun Microsystems, ask them if they've ever heard of me.That will give you an idea.

Now I like the part that says develpers can't pass SCJA, they are not to be taken and passed by developers! do I shock you? I bet no. Developers have better things to do with their time than sit down with volumes of books dt they might never need after the certification. Developers, as I know them are people who get jobs done and make customers happy, if you come in to my office brandishing SCJA, I wont employ you on the basis of that. You are not a developer, you are one of the bookish guys.

Now taking it for the fun of it. I have more fun from developing than from sitting down with a certification. If you derive fun from sitting down to write certifications, then good for you. I av not met a developer who derives more fun from anything than developing, if you are one, then I am glad I met you!

I am a mobile application developer, I use java for all other things too, I can't say I am enterprise or web, although I do both at a considerate level, I use them only when my mobile apps need them or when a customer will be happier if I use them.

All in all, u like certifications, take them at least they get you a job.

JAND, a place to be, a community to belong to
Re: Why Certification Since Your Clients Are Satisfied: by javalove(m): 6:43pm On Jun 30, 2008
The fact that one flaunts all the acronymed certifications in the world does not make u a good programmer at all but nigerians are fond of doing that.

Programming is no Econs or Banking and Finance where u are required to read ur life out. Programming is practical meaning one is expected to be able to deliver, be able to code, perform needs assesments and all. To hell with all certificates in general cos it doesnt define you. As a programmer, its all about the skill and if you dont have it, u are out.

I once attended an interview at TELNET and i ended up lecturing the interviewer. Some of them just belive because the have loads of certs, they can intimidate you with acronyms LLMO, JHXC and all that bullshit.

Do't get me wrong, its not a bad idea to have them but having then and not being able to deliver vexes me. I have met a thousand and one peeps like that. Some of them even runz it at their prometric centres (don't want to mention centres now sha).

So, i 1000000% agree with the poster,
Re: Why Certification Since Your Clients Are Satisfied: by javarules(m): 6:48pm On Jun 30, 2008
javalove:

Programming is no Econs or Banking and Finance where u are required to read your life out.

tell them oooo
Re: Why Certification Since Your Clients Are Satisfied: by malone5923(m): 8:21pm On Jun 30, 2008
;DYou all have a point but one thing you must understand that getting certification in nigeria is paramount based on the fact that employer get the feeling that if you have a good certification then you are good for the job, not all employers look for skills in employees in fact you cant even get an interview oppotunity if you dont have bsc degree in computer science from a Nigeria University(which is completly useless to me) or a professional certification. In all, my point is, get a good certification If you want to get a Job(not all jobs though)and in a way is like a end of term exam to test you.

And no I am not a certification freak. grin
Re: Why Certification Since Your Clients Are Satisfied: by javalove(m): 12:16pm On Jul 01, 2008
malone5923:

;DYou all have a point but one thing you must understand that getting certification in nigeria is paramount based on the fact that employer get the feeling that if you have a good certification then you are good for the job, not all employers look for skills in employees in fact you can't even get an interview oppotunity if you don't have bsc degree in computer science from a Nigeria University(which is completly useless to me) or a professional certification. In all, my point is, get a good certification If you want to get a Job(not all jobs though)and in a way is like a end of term exam to test you.

And no I am not a certification freak. grin

who told u we are all looking for employement? i have never tot of it. the interview i attended at telnet 3 yrs ago was by fire by force from popsy when things were not going well for me as a lone ranger.

Not all programmers are looking for jobs oooo. Maybe u mean contracts sha.
Re: Why Certification Since Your Clients Are Satisfied: by javarules(m): 12:59pm On Jul 01, 2008
look for job? or job look for me. If u are good, jobs will look for you, u dont need certifications. This is how it goes, a big bang company employs a certified geek, he creates the problem he can't solve it, they call me to come and do the clean up, I came did d clean up and go(after I am some hundreds of thousands richer). Can't remember when last I wrote a CV.

its funny oooo that a programmer will say I am good I am looking for job, he can't be both, if he is both then he needs Pastor Chris grin
Re: Why Certification Since Your Clients Are Satisfied: by javalove(m): 4:13pm On Jul 01, 2008
lol
Re: Why Certification Since Your Clients Are Satisfied: by malone5923(m): 8:00pm On Jul 01, 2008
ook for job? or job look for me. If u are good, jobs will look for you, u don't need certifications. This is how it goes, a big bang company employs a certified geek, he creates the problem he can't solve it, they call me to come and do the clean up, I came did d clean up and go(after I am some hundreds of thousands richer). Can't remember when last I wrote a CV.

its funny oooo that a programmer will say I am good I am looking for job, he can't be both, if he is both then he needs Pastor Chris

You are all right and wrong why because there are programmers and there are god crafted prgrammers who in there worst day dream never dreamt to work for someone(like me) but the other part of programmers need to get a certification to get a job so there are two different worlds of programmers

And I thought the word geek refers to excellent programmers.
Re: Why Certification Since Your Clients Are Satisfied: by javalove(m): 4:43pm On Jul 02, 2008
@malone5923

u are right. some people are as crazy as the nigerian system of education. they have adapted so well to the "pali" thing and need certs to get a job. Thats why u wud c some1 (i'm trying to do away wit d word programmer) with all the acronymed pali on earth and yet cannot make a simple helloworld. So, those kinds are IT inclined not programmers.

The nigerian employers needs serious education. The nigerian employer needs to understand that only the skillful, the exposed and experienced would contributely productively to a process. The "pali" guy would just be there as a figure head and end up being a liability.

It alson depends on the employer in question. Some employers require you to have all the "pali" in the world but your job description will be just to monitor some servers or update some customer details and all dat bullshit. For someone who is hell bent on getting a job, thats a good one. For someone like me who even though i want to get a job, i must code ooooooo and if i dont, dem one kill me b dat. i'm doing this first for the love, then for the greens!!!!!
Re: Why Certification Since Your Clients Are Satisfied: by Ghenghis(m): 5:52pm On Jul 03, 2008
java*** you guys are overcompensating ,
I have to disagree with you (for the first time!)
the question is for what ?
Do you have university degrees ? would you advice you child not to get one ?
Does a uni degree define u ? Does it prove you are capable of doing a job ?

personally,I distust people who claim to be all action and ridicle books ,
I guess you guys learnt java by rote shocked

Even for a person not interested in employment, you need references ,
certifications are like good references , it doesn't guarantee anything but it piques the interest of the recruiter. Most times its your cv that talks for u when you're absent.

From experience the rigorous process of certification also enhances your skill,
there many exams like this -CCNP,CCIE,SCJD,SCEA,SCBCD,RHCE etc.

So you've interviewed an SCJP guy before ? grin ok what of an SCEA or CCIE , try that on for size
Don't be too quick to judge ,
I personally learn stuff to improve my efficiency on my job, i get certifications as validation to others(potencial employers) that i have a certain skill ,
I don't expect them to toss my CV cause i have certifications ,

I can also write code with the best of 'em in the world, how do i know ? 'cause SUN said SO! wink
Re: Why Certification Since Your Clients Are Satisfied: by javalove(m): 6:18pm On Jul 03, 2008
@Ghenghis

u are right too BUT u need to understand that time is everything. Talking about university degree, i don't have one and its not compulsory for my child to have it if i see that going to get a degree is a waste of time for him.

I agree with you that the more certs u do, the better u become as a programmer. Hope u know nigerians can read wella. Nigerians can read the hardest thing in the world ans still pas the exam. But my emphasis has always been on service delivery. Not all those who have all the certs can deliver, at least in nigeria i know. So my verdict is that,

Bsc doesnt define u.
Certifications also desnt define u.

Wat defines u is ur skill, ur references will be ur portfolio, as in the works and projects u have handles not ur CV. Your ability to presen, speak well on IT related issues, come up with maddddddd proposals also defines u. In that way, any employer that asks u for papers after that maybe does not like ur looks cheesy , or maybe ur hair is too curly cheesy or she's scared u will impregnate the female staffs cheesy . Just kidding sha

Keep coding, keep researching and learning new things. Come up with projects that pple go bow dwn for. All that will speak for u. Seun doesnt need to talk too much if he needs a job from glo to manage their customer's forum!!!

(1) (Reply)

Vb.net Help / Attention Java Developers! Help Bring Javafx To smart devices! / Pls Help Review My Start-up

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 50
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.