Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,083 members, 7,835,649 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 01:00 PM

Boy Stowed Away In Arik Flight To Lagos - Politics (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Boy Stowed Away In Arik Flight To Lagos (41078 Views)

PHOTOS: Embattled Bukola Saraki dances his sorrows away in Ilorin / Military Generals Are Hiding Away In Yola, Deceiving The President - Idris Ahmed / See Inside An Arik Flight Last Night [Photo] (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Boy Stowed Away In Arik Flight To Lagos by Merrymaker: 6:37am On Aug 25, 2013
easy way 2 travel
Re: Boy Stowed Away In Arik Flight To Lagos by Nobody: 6:43am On Aug 25, 2013
Dbeliever: What this boy has done is of no harm to any body. So my advice is that the boy should be enrolled into the Nigerian Defence Academy. Let Nigeria make a change of attitude regarding the teenager's matter. Let Nigerian behave in a matured manner this time.

Grammar grin
Re: Boy Stowed Away In Arik Flight To Lagos by eldoradoxx: 6:46am On Aug 25, 2013
Stella_Bella: Poor Bini boy,

they told him the flight was going to New York.

Baba Fashola, Please deport his Azz to Osho baba for flogging.

Obviously he thought the flight was US or Europe bound but to his consternation he landed in another miserable part of Nigeria. I imagine how frustrated he felt at the point the plane touched MMIA Lagos after just 45 minutes. Hahahahahahahaha. But that boy is too small to be worried about leaving home. I support that Fashola should indeed deport him to Oshiobaba for adequate flogging. Lol.
Re: Boy Stowed Away In Arik Flight To Lagos by RedMullet: 6:47am On Aug 25, 2013
Dbeliever: What this boy has done is of no harm to any body. So my advice is that the boy should be enrolled into the Nigerian Defence Academy. Let Nigeria make a change of attitude regarding the teenager's matter. Let Nigerian behave in a matured manner this time.

That is like encouraging other kids into venturing into such potentially fatal adventure....you don't reward such negative behavior.

He should be treated and quietly returned his family in Benin with strict warnings.
Re: Boy Stowed Away In Arik Flight To Lagos by Okwy2013: 6:47am On Aug 25, 2013
The governor of Edo state should kindly award scholarship to the boy up to university. He is too smart to be allowed to waste.
Re: Boy Stowed Away In Arik Flight To Lagos by eminikansoso(m): 6:47am On Aug 25, 2013
Abrantie: The boy was actually lucky. If this flight had been going long distance to NY or Europe, the plane would have flown at an altitude of about 35000 ft. He would have frozen and suffocated to death because oxygen at such an altitude is very scarce. Besides, look at how he was dressed. Hypothermia would have set in right above Senegal. By the time he's mid way over the Atlantic, bad boy would be frozen solid.
I
A few Africans have attempted this feat for Europe and America and failed.

But the boy get courage. If say na you, you cannot take that risk even if you were promise #1billion angry grin
Re: Boy Stowed Away In Arik Flight To Lagos by neyyo: 6:52am On Aug 25, 2013
Thinking of hiding in an aircraft wheel well for a free flight? Here is why you shouldn't >> http:///15lHci3
Re: Boy Stowed Away In Arik Flight To Lagos by neyyo: 6:54am On Aug 25, 2013
Uninvited Guests On-board ; Dangers involved

A teenager identified as Daniel Ikehina was discovered to have breached security at Benin airport, Nigeria and sneaked into the wheel well of a Boeing 737-700 belonging to Arik Air departing for Lagos on Saturday.

Cases of stowaways are not new to aviation but survivors are very few, less than 20% live to tell the tale of this 'courageous' act. So Daniel is very very lucky to be alive today, how he achieved this 'feat' can only be explained by the young lad himself.

Someone reading this article may be contemplating how to try this on a Lagos-New York flight (IN SEARCH OF GREENER PASTURES), well since Daniel survived his adventure, why cant I take it a step further? If life don taya you and you feel like committing suicide its worth the shot else, DO NOT ATTEMPT IT!

Continue reading to discover why few stowaways survive, and mind you, this is also a trend in the marine industry, but unlike aviation the crew aboard a ship could be very brutal when a stowaway is discovered , I recommend you see the 1996 Movie 'Deadly Voyage' Directed by John Mackenzie to get an idea of the level of brutality I'm referring to.

Okay, back to aviation stowaways, the moment you decide to hide in the wheel well of an aircraft on a long haul flight your fate is sealed as the landing gear begins to retract, below are the reasons stowaways die in the wheel well of aircraft:

if the massive landing gear doesn't crush you on takeoff when retracted,
the pulleys and cables in the compartment can tear your skin
you need to understand that the wheel well of airplanes aren't equipped for passengers, they lack oxygen, heating and pressurization systems which keep passengers in the cabin safe.
Unlike passengers in the cabin (who paid full fare for the trip) stowaways face temperatures that drop below -55C in an oxygen-deprived unpressurized compartment.

At high altitude which the aircraft is designed to operate, a human body at such level is susceptible to hypothermia and hypoxia.

The percentage of oxygen in air, at 21%, remains almost unchanged up to 21,000 metres (69,000 ft). The RMS velocities of diatomic nitrogen and oxygen are very similar and thus no change occurs in the ratio of oxygen to nitrogen. However, it is the air density itself, the number of molecules (of both oxygen and nitrogen) per given volume, which drops as altitude increases. Consequently, the available amount of oxygen to sustain mental and physical alertness decreases with altitude.

Dehydration due to the higher rate of water vapor lost from the lungs at higher altitudes may contribute to the symptoms of altitude sickness. Altitude sickness usually occurs following a rapid ascent. In some of these cases, the symptoms are temporary and usually abate as altitude acclimatisation occurs. However, in most cases, altitude sickness can be fatal!

Asides from the risk of being crushed by the landing gear, onset of hypothermia and hypoxia; other dangers a stowaway faces include but are not limited to:
tinnitus, deafness, frostbite, tremors, acidosis, vision impairment amongst others.

With all these Odds stacked against stowaways, it remains a mystery how Daniel survived the 'hitchhiked ride' in one piece!

Could it be as a result of the short distance between Benin to Lagos, which resulted in the aircraft flying at a relatively lower flight-level?

Many questions would continue to be asked, but one question I have no answer to is "How to survive in an aircraft wheel well at high altitude!"

Save a life today, share this article.

Thank you.

Niyi A.
Aircraft Maintenance Control Personnel
http://naijaaviators.com/showthread.php?440-Uninvited-Guests-On-board-Dangers-involved&p=585#post585

4 Likes

Re: Boy Stowed Away In Arik Flight To Lagos by victorD3: 6:55am On Aug 25, 2013
Nice try, the should alow him board his connecting fligh to US.
Re: Boy Stowed Away In Arik Flight To Lagos by KDULAR: 7:00am On Aug 25, 2013
Education an parental care probably lacking, but as much as I agree with those who said the guy should not let off like that, some social psychologist should be work on the guy because if not handled probably, a loose canon in the making is already identified. Moreover, this tells us so much about the transformation in the aviation sector. It questions the security of our airports. Could someone remember a similar breach happened either in PH or Calabar some years back that involves a taxi cab. Rather than be looking at big beautiful high structures and gadgets at a high cost for now, lets start with improving our work ethics, and pay details to the smaller details which are even more problematic if not resolved.

Beautiful looking Airports exteriors andinteriors are good but beyond that, the security and maintenance of the facilities are even more important.

1 Like

Re: Boy Stowed Away In Arik Flight To Lagos by gabriel212: 7:01am On Aug 25, 2013
The boy get courage o! I hail Benin people OND ( Omo No Dulling )
Re: Boy Stowed Away In Arik Flight To Lagos by lolaluv1(f): 7:08am On Aug 25, 2013
very dangerous thing to do...
Re: Boy Stowed Away In Arik Flight To Lagos by NigerianAsshole(f): 7:13am On Aug 25, 2013
The boy will be will be like. "Why am i still in Nigeria?"
Re: Boy Stowed Away In Arik Flight To Lagos by afroluciferans: 7:13am On Aug 25, 2013
Niggas be like WTF!
Re: Boy Stowed Away In Arik Flight To Lagos by Rejoice5000(f): 7:15am On Aug 25, 2013
wonder Benin boy,nawaoooooo
Re: Boy Stowed Away In Arik Flight To Lagos by slikcipher(m): 7:15am On Aug 25, 2013
Balls of steel
Re: Boy Stowed Away In Arik Flight To Lagos by Fantacy1(m): 7:23am On Aug 25, 2013
Strange news evryday....
Re: Boy Stowed Away In Arik Flight To Lagos by Mustay(m): 7:27am On Aug 25, 2013
cogitoErgo: make dem put d boy on a proper flight back to Benin make him go tell him frend say hin don fly under as well as inside a plane! na only over a plane remain make hin fly now grin
Except he wan use jazz wey go gum him body. . .

Seriously, the boy needs some education. The sorry part is that except he's talented in 'odo eshi', the security operatives may not appreciate this is 'exposé' of our weak security.

FAAN ought to be uncomfortable about this concerning how the boy beat all the security protocols. There's always a tendency for laxity in less busy airports. Some have asked, what if he had dangerous motives? Would we be 'loling' at this So much for taxpayers' money.
Re: Boy Stowed Away In Arik Flight To Lagos by WellLady20(f): 7:30am On Aug 25, 2013
Once he becomes a Lagosian, he'll tear and burn his Edo passport..

1 Like

Re: Boy Stowed Away In Arik Flight To Lagos by Harbiurlah(f): 7:30am On Aug 25, 2013
Very funny... He needs to join the air force so that he can accomplish his mission.
Re: Boy Stowed Away In Arik Flight To Lagos by korm2me(m): 7:30am On Aug 25, 2013
azpekuliar:

No even think am. He won't make it to US soil alive. Cold go surely kill am over the Atlantic...
nt only cold, hypoxia go kill am at high altitude.
Re: Boy Stowed Away In Arik Flight To Lagos by israel007: 7:35am On Aug 25, 2013
I don't believe this is true.

Unles someone on that plane or at the airport confirm it to me
Re: Boy Stowed Away In Arik Flight To Lagos by bankbened: 7:37am On Aug 25, 2013
d airline
Re: Boy Stowed Away In Arik Flight To Lagos by Kei144(m): 7:40am On Aug 25, 2013
neyyo:

Could it be as a result of the short distance between Benin to Lagos, which resulted in the aircraft flying at a relatively lower flight-level?

That is actually the reason.

Re: Boy Stowed Away In Arik Flight To Lagos by Mustay(m): 7:43am On Aug 25, 2013
Ayatullah:

1.) Why will confusion be at Benin Airport when the Plane landed with the boy in Lagos Airport? I believe the confusion should be at the Lagos Airport.
2.) Why will the reporter be looking for comment on the issue at Benin Airport when the REAL action actually unfolded in Lagos Airport?
3.) What stops the reporter from contacting Arik Airlines in Benin or Lagos?
Nigeria Journalists should please sit up and be responsible in their profession of informing the public

I read this report somewhere else. Whilst not defending the journalist,

1. If the news got to Benin guys, they'd know the problem was from their end. Just as FAAN is shifting blames, Lagos will readily shift issue to Benin and avoid blame.

2. The reporter may be reporting from Benin. Moreover, there's nothing wrong in covering both sides. Most papers would have correspondent at both cities.

3. That's the paper's business, the more reason one should 'different' sides to the story cool However,

The situation, which has become a major source of worry among the authorities, has also led to a blame game between FAAN and Arik.

FAAN, in a statement on Saturday, said it held “Arik Air liable for the circumstances leading to the stowaway of a teenage boy on its aircraft at the Benin Airport.” The airline for the alleged Impunity, warning that the airport authority would not tolerate such Infraction from any operator.

In a swift reaction, Arik, in a statement, blamed FAAN for the huge breach in security, noting that the incessant cases of security breaches at the nation’s airport had become a major source of concern to the airline.

“The management of Arik Air has expressed shock over the incident, wondering how the teenager beat the aviation security personnel at the Benin Airport to get to the runway.”

4. Reports (FRCN) also have it that the pilot noticed the boy and reported to the control towers who told him "everything was under control". He told the passengers before landing about this so they don't get shocked. I'm not a pilot and don't know if any of his piloting skills could have 'considered' the boy whilst flying. This is the more reason Arik management was 'surprised' that the boy was still 'allowed' to 'board' the flight despite reporting his 'break' into the tarmac.

5. If there were Edo government officials as reported, you would understand why pandemonium fever pitch would be high at Benin. Government jobs are quite sensitive and the 'sabotage' accusation can easily be bandied about. Even the clerical officer who thinks nobody knows him may surprisingly find himself in the limelight investigation commences and everybody tries to escape the saboteur tag.
Re: Boy Stowed Away In Arik Flight To Lagos by oneliegeria: 7:58am On Aug 25, 2013
cheesy grin grin grin grin The boy is simply living the LIE called NIGERIA. Free him to his parents or to the Sisters Orphanage before you tell us tomorrow he is Anini reborn.
Re: Boy Stowed Away In Arik Flight To Lagos by eni11g: 7:58am On Aug 25, 2013
its a very brave and superheroic of the boy, this is what we hear in the western world that makes us feel they are awesome.
this is our naija superman
grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Boy Stowed Away In Arik Flight To Lagos by meine: 7:59am On Aug 25, 2013
grin grin Abeg make them leave my guy,nothing do you. He deserves a national award in gymnastics.
Re: Boy Stowed Away In Arik Flight To Lagos by VoteOutPDPJona: 7:59am On Aug 25, 2013
Stella_Bella: Country wey small pikins wan run comot .

Where is CNN when you need them.

Very soon fowl, goat and dog go pack leave Gej, PEj and all the SINators and LegisLOOTERS

Very, very soon.

LLLOOO cheesy grin cheesy OOOLLL!
Re: Boy Stowed Away In Arik Flight To Lagos by Nobody: 8:04am On Aug 25, 2013
Nice one
Re: Boy Stowed Away In Arik Flight To Lagos by joeekuns(m): 8:05am On Aug 25, 2013
brownlord: Can anybody help translate to English so i can comment.

between na my younger broder be that, OVBIOBA OYA WEREGBE LAI OHONBA LINE GHA RIO WA

Literarilly speaking i think it means "Prince turn back, enter OHONBA line and go home"
Re: Boy Stowed Away In Arik Flight To Lagos by 9jii(m): 8:09am On Aug 25, 2013
See how impress they are wit this criminal act?
NIGERIANs
All i see is crimal in the making.
This boy need serious help,from the hes thinking.

He would have cause problem for the plane and kill lives.

But still the Blame is on our rulers

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Hausas And Fulanis In Enugu Taking Refuge In Army Barracks - Ekweremmadu / Meet Saheed Popoola, The ONLY APC Kwara House Of Assembly Member With Oshiomhole / Nigeria Police Tactical Forces Storm Ansaru Terrorist Camp

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 49
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.