Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,658 members, 7,813,218 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 08:50 AM

Bmw 325Ci E46 - Repairs and Maintenance - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Bmw 325Ci E46 - Repairs and Maintenance (23246 Views)

Remotely Follow Your Vehicle Repairs Online / Sachi Motorsport** Nairalander's BMW E46**Rebuild After Snapped Timing Chain. / Which Should I Buy, A Bmw E36, BMW E46 Or A Mercedes Benz C-220? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Bmw 325Ci E46 - Repairs and Maintenance by Shagati(m): 9:24pm On Aug 24, 2013
The Car:

Make: BMW
Model: 325CI (EUR)
E-series: E46 (2)
Series: 3
Type: COUPE
Engine: M54 2.5 Inline 6
Power: 141 KW (192 HP)
Drive: REAR
Transmission: AUTOMATIC
Color: BLACK METALLIC (303)
Upholstery: LEATHER / BLACK (N6SW)
Date of Manufacture: 2000-12-20
Re: Bmw 325Ci E46 - Repairs and Maintenance by Shagati(m): 9:37pm On Aug 24, 2013
Some options:

Multi-function steering wheel
Outside mirrors with folding feature
Chrome-Line Exterior
Automatic Sun-blind, rear
Execution of fine wood (I am sure this refers to the dashboard wood trim - Lost in Translation?)
Smoker Package
Armrest front
Automatic air conditioning
Radio BMW Business (C43)
HiFi speaker system
Indicator lamps white
Hot Weather Package
Full spare wheel
Sports steering wheel with airbag, leather
Electric Front Seats
Foglamps
Speedometer - Kilometers
On-board computer
Battery in luggage compartment
Re: Bmw 325Ci E46 - Repairs and Maintenance by Shagati(m): 9:44pm On Aug 24, 2013
Interior pictures

Re: Bmw 325Ci E46 - Repairs and Maintenance by Shagati(m): 9:45pm On Aug 24, 2013
Exterior

Re: Bmw 325Ci E46 - Repairs and Maintenance by tdie: 9:48pm On Aug 24, 2013
Nice one... Any known issues with the car? Did you just get her?

1 Like

Re: Bmw 325Ci E46 - Repairs and Maintenance by Shagati(m): 9:52pm On Aug 24, 2013
Hi T-Die,
Thanks
I have been following your Audi project with interest
I picked her up earlier this month

t-die:
Any known issues with the car?

I will address this in the next post ;
Re: Bmw 325Ci E46 - Repairs and Maintenance by Shagati(m): 10:14pm On Aug 24, 2013
Background.

I wanted something small, powerful(-ish) preferably rear drive and within a budget as a weekend alternative to current vehicles - 2012 Skoda Octavia (office car) , 2006 Mitsubishi Galant (driven by the Mrs) and a 2012 1200cc BMW bike.

I found the Beemer and the proposition was very attractive.
-Interior in good shape
-Engine starts once and runs smoothly
-Smooth transmission
-A/C working fine
-95% of electrics functioning
-Body relatively ok with just a few scratches

The only immediately discernible issue was rattling/niggles from the front suspension (usual BMW challenge in Nigeria) as well as squeaking from the rear right strut. Nothing headache inducing.

Further investigation revealed:
-Excessive vibration while stationary and transmission in DRIVE or REVERSE due to failed engine mount(s)
-Horn needs replacement
-Hand/parking brake needed attention
-Oil level sensor to be replaced (yellow oil light stays on for a few seconds after starting even though oil level is correct)
-Remote/central unlocking ignores the driver's door but opens everything else. All doors lock fine
-Wind noise from driver's window sill while in motion

I will update issues log as I go on
Re: Bmw 325Ci E46 - Repairs and Maintenance by Shagati(m): 10:20pm On Aug 24, 2013
So what is the first thing to do after buying a used car?
Change oil and filters right? Right! This is what I decided to do and I wasn't a second too soon! ! !
See pic below for reason why:
Apart from the fact that the oil was pitch black and about as viscous as water. . . . . . . . the oil filter had broken into two pieces in its compartment shocked shocked shocked

Re: Bmw 325Ci E46 - Repairs and Maintenance by Shagati(m): 10:22pm On Aug 24, 2013
Replacement oil filter

Re: Bmw 325Ci E46 - Repairs and Maintenance by Shagati(m): 10:25pm On Aug 24, 2013
Air filter
Out with the old (enough dust/silt to fill a bucket undecided ), in with the new

Re: Bmw 325Ci E46 - Repairs and Maintenance by Nobody: 10:27pm On Aug 24, 2013
Just hat I like to see - a full-on project, quite a change from the usual Car Talk fodder.

I'll be following this with keen interest.

2 Likes

Re: Bmw 325Ci E46 - Repairs and Maintenance by Shagati(m): 10:30pm On Aug 24, 2013
Oil replacement
20W50 grade oil is to be run for 1,000-1,500km to 'clean' engine before switching to synthetic oil (any contrary thoughts to this? Reactions welcome please wink )

Re: Bmw 325Ci E46 - Repairs and Maintenance by Shagati(m): 10:31pm On Aug 24, 2013
Siena: Just hat I like to see - a full-on project, quite a change from the usual Car Talk fodder.

I'll be following this with keen interest.

Welcome buddy smiley
Re: Bmw 325Ci E46 - Repairs and Maintenance by Shagati(m): 10:49pm On Aug 24, 2013
Tyres

On a scale of 1-10 for priorities, tyre replacement came in at about 9 or 10 grin
The tyres on the other hand did not think so angry
Checking the manufacture dates of the tyres showed that 4 (includes the spare) were manufactured in 2006 and one was made in 2008.

Also, the configuration was very funny.
225/45 ZR17 on the rear (OEM recommended)
235/45 ZR17 in front (checked online and discovered that Hartge had run a similar model with this size without modification)
The spare was 245/40 R17

Took the car out a few nights ago and a few kilometers from home had a blow-out (front-right).
I couldn't be bothered to stop to change it as I didn't intend to salvage the tyre and I also had no intention of contributing to the Lagos crime statistics so I continued driving home.
Worst case scenario was a new rim right?

Luckily, no damage to the alloy wheel *phew* grin

1 Like

Re: Bmw 325Ci E46 - Repairs and Maintenance by grimadult(m): 12:08am On Aug 25, 2013
Am so following this thread!! About to be a proud onwer of a 2001 BMW 318i E46.oga T-die how far now? Update ur people oh. Nice work oga shagati on your BMW.
Re: Bmw 325Ci E46 - Repairs and Maintenance by azpekuliar: 2:08am On Aug 25, 2013
Subscribed. Good to see you buddy.
Re: Bmw 325Ci E46 - Repairs and Maintenance by uboma(m): 7:22am On Aug 25, 2013
@ op, u did well replacing the oil and oil filters. Imagine what would have happened if u had skipped it. Good work and very informative thread.
Re: Bmw 325Ci E46 - Repairs and Maintenance by Cyberknight: 7:41am On Aug 25, 2013
Staying tuned to this channel. Nice one. BMW has always been one of my favourite brands since I used to flog a '92 525i back at the beginning of the century with excellent results. Unfortunately, there were no good mechanics to speak of around me then and I had to go all the way to Apapa whenever I needed something done to the contrivance. Have since taken the craven route of the ubiquitous Japanese vehicle, but occasionally dream of owning another German auto. Are you doing this project yourself or have you got some engineering workshop to assist you therewith?
Re: Bmw 325Ci E46 - Repairs and Maintenance by yungboss(m): 9:18am On Aug 25, 2013
that's a wonderful project Mr. shagati...i love the coupes, mine is a 323ci with the sports suspension...
I anticipate changing the engine to a 330i...especially since i had an race encounter with a 2009 camry V6.
I dont wanna rush at it, i'll try to post pictures here...nice one sir.
Re: Bmw 325Ci E46 - Repairs and Maintenance by Shagati(m): 10:58am On Aug 25, 2013
grimadult: Am so following this thread!! Nice work oga shagati on your BMW.

azpekuliar: Subscribed. Good to see you buddy.

Thanks

uboma: @ op, u did well replacing the oil and oil filters. Imagine what would have happened if u had skipped it. Good work and very informative thread.

I can imagine what would have happened if particles of the filter had gotten into the engine. DOA Project!
I would try to upload costs for this upgrade too as I am sure like many others, an idea of costings would encourage more people to embark on restoration projects. It shouldn't neccesarily cost an arm and a leg.

Cyberknight: Are you doing this project yourself or have you got some engineering workshop to assist you therewith?

Some of it would be DIY like replacing the horn, sorting out the central lock etc. Major work would be done at a workshop

yungboss: that's a wonderful project Mr. shagati...i love the coupes, mine is a 323ci with the sports suspension...
I anticipate changing the engine to a 330i...especially since i had an race encounter with a 2009 camry V6.
I dont wanna rush at it, i'll try to post pictures here...nice one sir.

Please post pics here by all means. The 330 is serious muscle eh? Are you based in Lagos?

1 Like

Re: Bmw 325Ci E46 - Repairs and Maintenance by Cyberknight: 11:14am On Aug 25, 2013
Shagati:

I would try to upload costs for this upgrade too as I am sure like many others, an idea of costings would encourage more people to embark on restoration projects. It shouldn't neccesarily cost an arm and a leg.

Some of it would be DIY like replacing the horn, sorting out the central lock etc. Major work would be done at a workshop

The costs estimate would be most helpful indeed. Also, with time, links to your auto workshop and ancillary personnel - I sold my Beamer 'cos I was having trouble getting it fixed by reasonably competent auto mechanics. I strongly considered buying a 2006 Audi A4 last year but chickened out and got a Camry instead. Seeing you and the other gentleman in Uyo doing over yours' is giving me 2nd thoughts....
Re: Bmw 325Ci E46 - Repairs and Maintenance by Shagati(m): 11:23am On Aug 25, 2013
Back to the tyres

Bit the bullet and settled for the 235/45 ZR 17 and got 4 units.
Thread on the tyres that came with the car were still all between 40-60% worn but no need to take any chances as they were well past their best by dates.

Re: Bmw 325Ci E46 - Repairs and Maintenance by Nobody: 1:55pm On Aug 25, 2013
subscribing to this lovely topic....
Re: Bmw 325Ci E46 - Repairs and Maintenance by uboma(m): 2:52pm On Aug 25, 2013
@ op, what happened to this other project?

https://www.nairaland.com/783978/project-restore-2002-audi-allroad

i must confess that i followed it with great enthusiasm from the start...
Re: Bmw 325Ci E46 - Repairs and Maintenance by Shagati(m): 3:16pm On Aug 25, 2013
uboma: @ op, what happened to this other project?

https://www.nairaland.com/783978/project-restore-2002-audi-allroad

i must confess that i followed it with great enthusiasm from the start...

@uboma:
So sorry I let the ball drop on that one.
I have updated that thread. Please check it out
https://www.nairaland.com/783978/project-restore-2002-audi-allroad/1

Cheers
Re: Bmw 325Ci E46 - Repairs and Maintenance by Emperoh(m): 11:21pm On Aug 25, 2013
This is what going offline for just a day causes!!!
How could i have missed this!

So following. . . . .i am saving to do a 2004 E46 so your costing parts wise will help my decision!
Re: Bmw 325Ci E46 - Repairs and Maintenance by wwwkaycom(m): 9:43pm On Aug 31, 2013
nice work here. sir, cheers!
Re: Bmw 325Ci E46 - Repairs and Maintenance by Shagati(m): 2:49pm On Sep 19, 2013
wwwkaycom:
nice work here. sir, cheers!

Thanks

Emperoh: This is what going offline for just a day causes!!!
How could i have missed this!
So following. . . . .i am saving to do a 2004 E46 so your costing parts wise will help my decision!

Will update on costings in a sec
Re: Bmw 325Ci E46 - Repairs and Maintenance by Nobody: 11:35pm On Sep 19, 2013
Just update on the costing? are you done with the Rescue Project?
Re: Bmw 325Ci E46 - Repairs and Maintenance by Shagati(m): 11:14am On Sep 21, 2013
cne010: Just update on the costing? are you done with the Rescue Project?

Not at all sir. I have only gone as far as the update above.
Re: Bmw 325Ci E46 - Repairs and Maintenance by Shagati(m): 11:20am On Sep 21, 2013
As discussed above, the main issue that I wanted to tackle before the tyres cropped up were the suspension and ride quality.

What has held that up is lack of time on a Saturday to go sit with the mechanics in the workshop to dis-assembly all and determine the exact parts that need replacement.

I have a few days off work next week and I expect to make out time on Wednesday for the suspension work.
This will help to know which original parts can be sourced locally and which will need to be ordered from outside.
Re: Bmw 325Ci E46 - Repairs and Maintenance by Shagati(m): 11:43am On Sep 21, 2013
Costing update:

Apart from cost of acquisition all I have done are:
Oil, oil filter, air filter + labour - N19,000
I changed the pair of squeaky horns that came with the car. Type: Klaxon (used) - N3,500 (forgot to take pics before they were installed but see stock photo below)
Tyres (x4) - N78,000

Change of ownership, new plates and comprehensive insurance - N95,000
I didn't know that the new style number plates were owner specific and could be moved from car to car. So the previous owner collected his pair and I had to get new ones.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Tesla Pickup Truck Is On The Way / CFAO Motors Re-introduces Suzuki Vehicles Into The Nigerian Market / Porsche Builds Its One Millionth 911 And It Is Beautiful

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 39
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.