Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,652 members, 7,816,672 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 02:53 PM

Bmw 325Ci E46 - Repairs and Maintenance - Car Talk (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Bmw 325Ci E46 - Repairs and Maintenance (23257 Views)

Remotely Follow Your Vehicle Repairs Online / Sachi Motorsport** Nairalander's BMW E46**Rebuild After Snapped Timing Chain. / Which Should I Buy, A Bmw E36, BMW E46 Or A Mercedes Benz C-220? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Bmw 325Ci E46 - Repairs and Maintenance by tdie: 11:32pm On Dec 07, 2013
Shagati: Last weekend, I was about to exit a tolled car park, I had the plastic parking disc in my right hand and somehow, I managed to drop it in the tight space between the driver's seat and the centre console.
I thrust my fingers in to retrieve the disc but the space was so tight that the more I fiddled, the more stuck it got.
I eventually managed to get it out after much rummaging and tooting of horns by other angry users behind me embarassed

As I drove off, I noticed that the airbag light had come on....it wasn't there 3 minutes ago. Apparently, I had dislodged something while I was fishing. cry

Probably the connector for the seat or curtain airbags (If your car has them).
Its quite a common fault with the older Audis (like mine :-( ), but is a relatively easy fix. If possible carry out a scan to detect the particular airbag you have to deal with.
Should be a relatively simple fix.... except if you've torn the wiring right off (unlikely).

Should we expect new mods to you beemer...? Still awaiting what she'll look like with the new headlights ...
Re: Bmw 325Ci E46 - Repairs and Maintenance by Shagati(m): 11:42pm On Dec 07, 2013
Bolts and nuts out

Re: Bmw 325Ci E46 - Repairs and Maintenance by Shagati(m): 11:59pm On Dec 07, 2013
Next, slide the seat to a sort of middle position so it will exit the car easily.
Then lean the seat backwards to rest on the rear seat and look under to find the wire harness

Disconnect this carefully and the seat is ready to be lifted out

Re: Bmw 325Ci E46 - Repairs and Maintenance by Shagati(m): 12:09am On Dec 08, 2013
Seat out,
Loads of garbage accumulated over the years. Took the opportunity to clean out.
I put the cloth on the door sill to prevent scratches to the paint while lifting the seat out and back in

Follow the directions in reverse to re-install the seat
Das all! wink

Re: Bmw 325Ci E46 - Repairs and Maintenance by Shagati(m): 12:21am On Dec 08, 2013
t-die:

Probably the connector for the seat or curtain airbags (If your car has them).
Its quite a common fault with the older Audis (like mine :-( ), but is a relatively easy fix. If possible carry out a scan to detect the particular airbag you have to deal with.
Should be a relatively simple fix.... except if you've torn the wiring right off (unlikely)
Checked all wires and connections. All is tight and in place. Re-installed seat and airbag light is still illuminated.
Maybe the issue with dropped plastic was a coincidence?
Will have the car scanned and report back after I carry out the same procedure on the passenger seat to eliminate a disconnection there as well.

t-die:

Should we expect new mods to you beemer...? Still awaiting what she'll look like with the new headlights ...
Lights have been purchased and awaiting delivery to Lagos. Final ones bought differ slightly from the pictures I put up previously.
I will keep you updated on progress sir! I appreciate yours and Yungboss' interestsmiley
PS: Your A4 turned out SICK! I Like #thumbsup!
Re: Bmw 325Ci E46 - Repairs and Maintenance by GrownMan(m): 8:20am On Dec 10, 2013
Shagati: Moving the front tag to the right also seems to be popular in other climes

Will it be legal or do you reckon FRSC will have a fill day when ever you drive past? Putting the number tag on the right I mean....
Re: Bmw 325Ci E46 - Repairs and Maintenance by GrownMan(m): 8:27am On Dec 10, 2013
Shagati: Headlights

Lights are totally stock and in good working order.

(Not to worry, I will remove the hideous Euro style number plate thingie highlighted in yellow wink )

Please share new pix of the new number plate holder. Would like to do the same.... i.e remove the Euro style number plate holder. I have been thinking of the best way to do this as it appears the actual plate holder merges with the black trims at the top of the bumper.
Re: Bmw 325Ci E46 - Repairs and Maintenance by Dsannin: 7:09pm On Dec 13, 2013
@Shagati , i see your tool set, where did you get it and how much i would like to get one. This your project has gone on for long oh. How come the lights took so long to deliver. also for the front lights are you gonna install them yourself or give a mechnik. i would like to see how you do it. finally do u know of any retrofit for the bmw stereo system that allows you to play cds
Re: Bmw 325Ci E46 - Repairs and Maintenance by Shagati(m): 11:19pm On Dec 13, 2013
^^^
The generic tool set pictured is available at SHOPRITE.
I'll try my hands at fixing the lights myself. They are plug and play.
I haven't researched cd players as I am currently satisfied with the trunk mounted 6-changer.

Sorry the project is taking so long. Work takes me away from base most weekends and weekdays are out of it.
Some patience bro.
Thanks for following
Re: Bmw 325Ci E46 - Repairs and Maintenance by Dsannin: 8:27pm On Dec 17, 2013
lol its ok, just commenting on the project. Guess i'll take a look at shoprite. Also i bought an obd2 scanner today, it fit my car but then when i launched the app on my android phone ( Torque on Play store) the app said none of it protocols fit my car(BMW 318ci 1999-2001.. not sure) Now i tried it on a honda accord 2005 i think and it worked perfectly. Guys is it possible my car is not supported ? cry
Re: Bmw 325Ci E46 - Repairs and Maintenance by Shagati(m): 10:17pm On Jul 10, 2014
We lost quite a bit of text with the NL downtime but oh well.

Remember the Euro style plate number holder that didn't match the US style plates used in Nigeria? Well that is gone and plate is now installed directly onto the bumper... smiley

GrownMan: Please share new pix of the new number plate holder. Would like to do the same.... i.e remove the Euro style number plate holder. I have been thinking of the best way to do this as it appears the actual plate holder merges with the black trims at the top of the bumper.

I didn't use a separate holder sir.

Re: Bmw 325Ci E46 - Repairs and Maintenance by Shagati(m): 10:24pm On Jul 10, 2014
And while I was at it, I decided to replace the kidney grille up front that were missing a few fins each as can be seen above.
My boys (6 and 4) decided the grille was some kind of musical instrument thus a few more fins were lost in a Mozart moment angry

The old grilles

Re: Bmw 325Ci E46 - Repairs and Maintenance by Shagati(m): 10:25pm On Jul 10, 2014
Off!

Re: Bmw 325Ci E46 - Repairs and Maintenance by Shagati(m): 10:26pm On Jul 10, 2014
The old pair was apparently glued down by previous owner (theft issues?) so needed some scrapping and preparation for the new set to be installed.

Re: Bmw 325Ci E46 - Repairs and Maintenance by Shagati(m): 10:32pm On Jul 10, 2014
New set. Looking sharp!
New set cost N5,500. Bought in Olowu, Ikeja

Re: Bmw 325Ci E46 - Repairs and Maintenance by Shagati(m): 10:44pm On Jul 10, 2014
Also did a service two Saturdays ago. Oil, Filter etc.
At the first service 3,000km ago (yes, car covered 3,000+ km in just over 10 months), I used 20w50 oil. Now I went slightly higher up the ladder by using semi synthetic 15w50 (TOTAL Quartz 7000).
This was after flushing the engine with 8 litres of flushing oil.

Next oil change has again been set for 3,000km seeing that the vehicle gets such little use.

Re: Bmw 325Ci E46 - Repairs and Maintenance by Shagati(m): 10:47pm On Jul 10, 2014
Used the opportunity to replace the faulty oil level sensor.
So no more amber oil warning light on the dash for 10 seconds at start up wink

Re: Bmw 325Ci E46 - Repairs and Maintenance by Shagati(m): 10:50pm On Jul 10, 2014
Rear right light cluster was acting up intermittently.
All 3 lights (brake, reverse and indicator lights) would work whenever they pleased. This was discovered to be due to some loose wiring.
This was sorted out too

Re: Bmw 325Ci E46 - Repairs and Maintenance by Shagati(m): 10:54pm On Jul 10, 2014
Rear left cluster lets in water somehow into the boot whenever it rains heavily.
This was caused by a weak rubber gasket at the point where the lights meet the body of the car.
Sorted!!!

Re: Bmw 325Ci E46 - Repairs and Maintenance by Shagati(m): 9:43pm On Jul 30, 2014
Replacement of the front suspension (previous posts lost during the NL apocalypse) brought to the fore the failed struts (shock absorbers).
So I ordered the complete set from Eurocarparts.com using my trusted UK purchase and delivery service UK2Me.

So I received two large boxes at the office today:

Re: Bmw 325Ci E46 - Repairs and Maintenance by Shagati(m): 9:51pm On Jul 30, 2014
Box 1 contained the struts.
I had a choice between the Bilstein and SACHS sets.
Trolling through different European and Stateside BMW and specifically E46 forums revealed that the Bilsteins are sportier than the Sachs which are set up more for comfort.
Naija roads are challenging enough to not add any more harshness to ride quality so I went for the Sachs

Re: Bmw 325Ci E46 - Repairs and Maintenance by Shagati(m): 9:57pm On Jul 30, 2014
Cost:
Front shocks - £69.99 each
Rear shocks - £33.99 each

Total = £207.96 x 284 = NGN59,060.64
Re: Bmw 325Ci E46 - Repairs and Maintenance by Shagati(m): 10:01pm On Jul 30, 2014
Box 2 contained.....I wonder who can guess what they are? wink

Re: Bmw 325Ci E46 - Repairs and Maintenance by Shagati(m): 10:10pm On Jul 30, 2014
Yup, my long procrastinated LED tail lights!
Sorry for the poor picture quality. Couldn't wait to have them installed so I just unboxed them in the poorly lit living room and took a few shots and headed outside to install pronto!

Cost of the lights - £129.95 from ebay.co.uk user Energised Customs2

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BMW-E46-3-SERIES-COUPE-1998-2003-RED-CLEAR-LED-STYLE-REAR-TAIL-LIGHTS-PAIR-/350978305198?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&fits=Plat_Gen%3AE46&hash=item51b7efecae

Re: Bmw 325Ci E46 - Repairs and Maintenance by yungboss(m): 10:14pm On Jul 30, 2014
Following...
Re: Bmw 325Ci E46 - Repairs and Maintenance by Shagati(m): 10:14pm On Jul 30, 2014
Before pics.
Taken to show how badly worn the oems (follow come) are. Ewww!

Re: Bmw 325Ci E46 - Repairs and Maintenance by Shagati(m): 10:16pm On Jul 30, 2014
Out with the old. . . . . . . . .

Re: Bmw 325Ci E46 - Repairs and Maintenance by yungboss(m): 10:17pm On Jul 30, 2014
Nice looking ride.
Re: Bmw 325Ci E46 - Repairs and Maintenance by Shagati(m): 10:22pm On Jul 30, 2014
In with the new. . . . .
It had gone dark by the time I finished. I will take some clearer 'after' pictures during the daytime tomorrow.
Installation took about 40mins for all four units (the outers and boot mounted reverse and fog light units).
Suprisingly easier than i had expected.
Full plug and play with no dashboard error codes (knock on wood! lipsrsealed)

Re: Bmw 325Ci E46 - Repairs and Maintenance by Shagati(m): 10:26pm On Jul 30, 2014
yungboss: Nice looking ride.

Thanks Boss wink
Re: Bmw 325Ci E46 - Repairs and Maintenance by yungboss(m): 11:04pm On Jul 30, 2014
Shagati:

Thanks Boss wink
how long did it take for the parts to arrive from when you made purchase
Re: Bmw 325Ci E46 - Repairs and Maintenance by Shagati(m): 11:13pm On Jul 30, 2014
yungboss:
how long did it take for the parts to arrive from when you made purchase

This shipment took 18 days. I understand there were issues at the NAHCO shed.
Usual shipments are anything from 6-10days

1 Like 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

CFAO Motors Re-introduces Suzuki Vehicles Into The Nigerian Market / Porsche Builds Its One Millionth 911 And It Is Beautiful / Jamaica To Order Vehicles From Nigerian Manufacturer, INNOSON

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 39
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.