Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,743 members, 7,817,051 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 01:09 AM

NRC Successfully Connects Ph-enugu Rail Line, Train Move 1st Time In 12 Years - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / NRC Successfully Connects Ph-enugu Rail Line, Train Move 1st Time In 12 Years (13013 Views)

Still On The Lagos-Calabar Rail Line Controversy - Excerpt From Thisdaylive / Abuja-kaduna Rail Line Will Be Completed And Handed Over In December / Passengers Overwhelm NRC On Lagos-kano Route (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: NRC Successfully Connects Ph-enugu Rail Line, Train Move 1st Time In 12 Years by naptu2: 5:50am On Aug 26, 2013
[size=14pt]FG Approves N1.3bn For Design Of 5 Fast Train Lines.[/size]

billante: Abuja – The Federal Executive Council (FEC) on Wednesday approved N1.3 billion contracts for the design of five fast train lines across the country.

The Minister of Transport, Alhaji Idris Umar, disclosed this after the Council meeting presided over by Vice President Namadi Sambo, at the State House, Abuja.

Umar said that the Council had approved the contracts to ease the burden of transportation across the country.

“Today I brought a memo to Council seeking for the approval to award contract for consultancy services to carry out feasibility studies on five corridors.

“The first is Lagos-Abuja. The Lagos-Abuja is intended to usher in the highest speed train system which is a distance of 615km.

“It is our hope that the train can ply from Lagos- Abuja within a maximum period of three hours with about five stops.

“The total contract sum for the five corridors is N1, 334, 405, 366.74 with a completion period of seven months.’’

The minister said that the light rail, which was conceived to ease transportation problems, would “compete favourably with the air industry’’.

The second rail line is Lagos – Benin with a distance of 300km while the third will run from Ajaokuta – Abuja, a distance of 533km.

The fourth and fifth, from Zaria – Illela and Benin to Aba covered 520km and 500km respectively.

Umar said that government was committed to the resuscitation of the railway system in the country.

He said that a double approach adopted included the rehabilitation of the existing narrow gauge rail lines and the resuscitation of the railway in the area of the modernisation. (NAN)

www.vanguardngr.com/2012/09/fg-approves-n1-3bn-for-design-of-5-fast-train-lines/

4 Likes

Re: NRC Successfully Connects Ph-enugu Rail Line, Train Move 1st Time In 12 Years by taharqa2: 10:13am On Aug 26, 2013
@Naptu, thanks again for your usually Elucidating Posts.

Much Appreciated.

1 Like

Re: NRC Successfully Connects Ph-enugu Rail Line, Train Move 1st Time In 12 Years by Nobody: 12:33pm On Aug 26, 2013
@Naptu2..,thanks for the very educative posts. I have learnt a thing or two. I hope the perennial whiners are now better informed
Re: NRC Successfully Connects Ph-enugu Rail Line, Train Move 1st Time In 12 Years by musiwa1f: 1:12pm On Aug 26, 2013
every govt turn it on , days before election.. what is new, after election. it is dead.
Re: NRC Successfully Connects Ph-enugu Rail Line, Train Move 1st Time In 12 Years by Gayigaskia(m): 1:15pm On Aug 26, 2013
This is all Yar Adua doing, remember when he order the revamp of the rail system in the country. I will give GEJ credit for following up thoug
Re: NRC Successfully Connects Ph-enugu Rail Line, Train Move 1st Time In 12 Years by Symphony007: 1:18pm On Aug 26, 2013
naptu2: [size=14pt]FG Approves N1.3bn For Design Of 5 Fast Train Lines.[/size]

when is it starting? This article is dated september 2012 and we're in august,2013. Why was'nt a starting date included? Or is this another promise in infinity? Like the wastefull abuja city gate?
Re: NRC Successfully Connects Ph-enugu Rail Line, Train Move 1st Time In 12 Years by MajHeadache: 1:19pm On Aug 26, 2013
[size=18pt]CALLING ALL APC E-TOUTS![/size]

2 Likes

Re: NRC Successfully Connects Ph-enugu Rail Line, Train Move 1st Time In 12 Years by Mexyz(m): 1:29pm On Aug 26, 2013
Over to d 'progressive' peeps here....symph,demdem,eko ile nd eko atlantic....where re u guys? Cme nd do wat u knw hw to do best o. Gej is working for real,haters re hating on nl nd newspapers.

1 Like

Re: NRC Successfully Connects Ph-enugu Rail Line, Train Move 1st Time In 12 Years by tellwisdom: 1:31pm On Aug 26, 2013
So i can finally travel to another state to go eat Amala and come back ?? ...Oh! chineke Da Alu oo cheesy

2 Likes

Re: NRC Successfully Connects Ph-enugu Rail Line, Train Move 1st Time In 12 Years by Symphony007: 1:33pm On Aug 26, 2013
naptu2:

http://thewillnigeria.com/breaking/21486.html
a nice development, general electric is doing the same investments in other west adrican and african countries.
Re: NRC Successfully Connects Ph-enugu Rail Line, Train Move 1st Time In 12 Years by awodman: 1:33pm On Aug 26, 2013
Symphony007: when is it starting? This article is dated september 2012 and we're in august,2013. Why was'nt a starting date included? Or is this another promise in infinity? Like the wastefull abuja city gate?
If you cared to read through you would have seen that the contract was awarded last year September with a completion period of 7 months and @ the Ministerial platform this year the transport minister hinted that the designs are ready and adverts will be made soon for the Expression of Interest by the private sector for PPP arrangement to develop this lines..

3 Likes

Re: NRC Successfully Connects Ph-enugu Rail Line, Train Move 1st Time In 12 Years by 2ndChance: 1:34pm On Aug 26, 2013
SNOWWHITE240: what i need is fast speed trains like dos obtained in europe not dis dis locomotives
Amaechi's monorail is on the way
Re: NRC Successfully Connects Ph-enugu Rail Line, Train Move 1st Time In 12 Years by ZUBY77(m): 1:34pm On Aug 26, 2013
Nobody should vote for Aboki again. I hope they are all witnessing the meaning of development.

3 Likes

Re: NRC Successfully Connects Ph-enugu Rail Line, Train Move 1st Time In 12 Years by Nobody: 1:35pm On Aug 26, 2013
Thanks, Naptu.
Re: NRC Successfully Connects Ph-enugu Rail Line, Train Move 1st Time In 12 Years by Abariwiseman: 1:47pm On Aug 26, 2013
GEJ fresh air is brining to life all the dead Infrastructures in Nigeria.
It will be very very good if the eastern railine (PH - Maiduguri) could be fixed on time. such will relive Lagos of many economical activities/Pressure from other part of the country. this will also go a long way to benefit Nigerian along that axis.
Welldone GEJ,
We are really proud of you

2 Likes

Re: NRC Successfully Connects Ph-enugu Rail Line, Train Move 1st Time In 12 Years by naptu2: 1:48pm On Aug 26, 2013
General Electric is involved in the present improvements in the rail sector. Most of the trains that are currently running were refurbished by GE. They also plan to export trains and coaches from Calabar to other African countries.

I'll show you a presentation from GE (@ the Ebute Metta workshop where they refurbished some of the trains that are currently working).

1 Like

Re: NRC Successfully Connects Ph-enugu Rail Line, Train Move 1st Time In 12 Years by naptu2: 1:53pm On Aug 26, 2013
About GE Transportation

GE Transportation is a global technology leader and supplier of various transport solutions including freight and passenger locomotives. Its presence in Africa dates back to over 100 years, having supplied more than 1,000 locomotives supported by its after sales service, maintenance and parts. For more information please visit: GE Transportation

How we overcame the challenge:

GE’s company-to-country agreement with Nigeria, signed in 2009, provided GE’s transportation business with the opportunity to work with the NRC in delivering a rail solution consisting of 25 diesel locomotives, which will contribute to re-igniting the vigorous rail driven trading of goods such as oil, and enable regional trade growth in East, Central and West Africa. In addition to supplying the locomotives, GE is also training NRC employees and transferring valuable skills as part of this agreement.

National Railway Corporation:

Previously known as the Government Department of Railways, the Nigerian Railway Corporation (NRC) has been in existence for 112 years. It runs unilaterally designed track systems made up of 3,505 kilometers of narrow gauge tracks and approximately 300 kilometers of standard gauge tracks respectively. The NRC’s locomotive fleet includes new and aged engines, couchette-type sleepers, air-conditioned first-class and non-air-conditioned economy-class passenger coaches and wagons.

NRC challenge:

Aligned to the Nigerian Government’s renewed commitment to rebuilding its rail asset, the NRC identified the need to build its locomotive fleet and invest in further infrastructure maintenance.

Solution’s impact on Nigeria:

The NRC’s new GE diesel locomotives will increase rail capacity, provide additional revenue that can be re-invested back into Nigeria’s economy, and assist in fast tracking regional trade in the East, Central and West Africa regions. This in turn will help attract foreign direct investment and contribute to infrastructure development for short and long-haul destinations within Nigeria and beyond.

http://www.ge.com/ng/company/customers/nrc.html

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vi7FeYQOBow
Re: NRC Successfully Connects Ph-enugu Rail Line, Train Move 1st Time In 12 Years by Nightshift(m): 1:53pm On Aug 26, 2013
I have travelled by rail in many countries, by Deutsche Bahn's ICE, France's TGV, Tallys, Austria's Railjet and Switzerland ' s SBB IC, but none equals the hilarious experience i had travelling by train along Enugu- Port Harcourt in the 80s.
One of my sweetest childhood memories were along Enugu, Agbani, Ugbawka, Oduma- Achara, Ndeabor, Afikpo, Ovim, Ikwuano Umuahia, Ibeku, Umuahia and Aba train stations.
Great to know those wonderful years are coming back.
Travelling by rail in Nigeria were big fun in those days, no fear of armed robbers or accidents.

1 Like

Re: NRC Successfully Connects Ph-enugu Rail Line, Train Move 1st Time In 12 Years by naptu2: 1:55pm On Aug 26, 2013
Click on this link to read about GE's other customers in Nigeria (Arik Air, Total, NRC, Lagos State University Teaching Hospital, etc).
http://www.ge.com/ng/company/customers/index.html
Re: NRC Successfully Connects Ph-enugu Rail Line, Train Move 1st Time In 12 Years by Nobody: 2:52pm On Aug 26, 2013
The enlightening post by naptu added colour to the news.
If what i read here is true as i believe it should be, i guess the media house will do alot to let the masses know about this.
Am impressed so far by what i read. I believe greater days lie ahead.
"By preservanance, the snail reached the ark"- Charles Spurgeon.

1 Like

Re: NRC Successfully Connects Ph-enugu Rail Line, Train Move 1st Time In 12 Years by Symphony007: 3:32pm On Aug 26, 2013
awodman:
If you cared to read through you would have seen that the contract was awarded last year September with a completion period of 7 months and @ the Ministerial platform this year the transport minister hinted that the designs are ready and adverts will be made soon for the Expression of Interest by the private sector for PPP arrangement to develop this lines..
so if they can't find any private partner, the project goes bust? Or the partners pull out along the way.Have'nt anything been learnt from ameachi's rivers problem?
Re: NRC Successfully Connects Ph-enugu Rail Line, Train Move 1st Time In 12 Years by MCKULQ(m): 3:39pm On Aug 26, 2013
Great. And WHO says GEJ is nt working ?

God dey see una oh. undecided
Re: NRC Successfully Connects Ph-enugu Rail Line, Train Move 1st Time In 12 Years by talktimi(m): 3:48pm On Aug 26, 2013
Symphony007: so if they can't find any private partner, the project goes bust? Or the partners pull out along the way.Have'nt anything been learnt from ameachi's rivers problem?
sadness is really a disease

5 Likes

Re: NRC Successfully Connects Ph-enugu Rail Line, Train Move 1st Time In 12 Years by ilaugh1: 3:50pm On Aug 26, 2013
Symphony007: so if they can't find any private partner, the project goes bust? Or the partners pull out along the way.Have'nt anything been learnt from ameachi's rivers problem?

Why do you like moaning all over NairaLand?

7 Likes

Re: NRC Successfully Connects Ph-enugu Rail Line, Train Move 1st Time In 12 Years by karlmax2: 4:14pm On Aug 26, 2013
idnoble135: The enlightening post by naptu added colour to the news.
If what i read here is true as i believe it should be, i guess the media house will do alot to let the masses know about this.
Am impressed so far by what i read. I believe greater days lie ahead.
"By preservanance, the snail reached the ark"- Charles Spurgeon.
most of the media houses are busy promoting propoganda for the opposition since nigeria media houses dont do free reporting. They are paid to publish anything. and this present government dont pay for publicity ,on like a certain party that when they commission street light and taxi and fabricate lies it makes front pages of newspapers

3 Likes

Re: NRC Successfully Connects Ph-enugu Rail Line, Train Move 1st Time In 12 Years by naptu2: 4:16pm On Aug 26, 2013
2ndChance:
Amaechi's monorail is on the way

Please can you give me any info about the status of the monorail project (including articles, pictures, videos, etc)? I'm getting conflicting reports about the project from people in Port Harcourt. I already have info about the Lagos LRT and Abuja Metro.
Re: NRC Successfully Connects Ph-enugu Rail Line, Train Move 1st Time In 12 Years by themaskedman: 4:30pm On Aug 26, 2013
Chill mehn.
Haba, na wetin?, o gini?, kilode?
You sound broken and sad everyday, be happy for once.
I think nairaland will be a lot better without fault finders like you.

8 Likes

Re: NRC Successfully Connects Ph-enugu Rail Line, Train Move 1st Time In 12 Years by obeagu1(m): 4:56pm On Aug 26, 2013
@naptu2 may God bless 4ur info.if transport n power srctor r fully revatalised den industralisation wil b no biggie...good work GEJ

1 Like

Re: NRC Successfully Connects Ph-enugu Rail Line, Train Move 1st Time In 12 Years by Confusion: 5:29pm On Aug 26, 2013
maxwello.yg:
This fresh air is too good.
It can ressurect a dead man.

very funny grin
maxwello.yg:

very funny
Re: NRC Successfully Connects Ph-enugu Rail Line, Train Move 1st Time In 12 Years by Montaque(m): 5:51pm On Aug 26, 2013
SNOWWHITE240: what i need is fast speed trains like dos obtained in europe not dis dis locomotives
l guess you are one of those that spend hours watching hollywood films
Re: NRC Successfully Connects Ph-enugu Rail Line, Train Move 1st Time In 12 Years by amakenny: 6:16pm On Aug 26, 2013
maxwello.yg:
Yeah, the man who had no shoes is really bringing fresh air to all over Nigeria.
Re: NRC Successfully Connects Ph-enugu Rail Line, Train Move 1st Time In 12 Years by Expensiveman: 6:17pm On Aug 26, 2013
I am on my way to take pic of the railline here in the east pls stop telling us lies

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

aikanti Baru Visits President Buhari / Saraki, Sheriff Hold Secret Talks / My Detractors Must Apologise To Imo APC, Says Gov Okorocha

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 54
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.